even more painted roof racks

Posted by: Paul H

even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 02:35 PM

Decided to do mine. I also did the step rails.

Looks naked

All done
Posted by: Todrick

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 02:41 PM

what did you use to paint it?

didn't you find the X odd without the rack... i noticed that it is really not a tall and skinny as it looks with it on... the rack creates an optical illusion of the X being much more top heavy than it is

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 02:45 PM

Yeah it looked very naked without the rack. Almost like a Frontier with a topper.

Anyway I used an epoxy paint from Ace hardware. It is supposed to dry very hard and withstand some abuse.

Now I hope to be able to find some steelies so I can paint them black and go the entire blacked out route.

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 02:49 PM

yeah... im with you on the black wheels...

i was just curious if you had used Dupli-color like Stormy and I did... so is your pain gloss? or matte?

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 02:52 PM

Its a matte. I didn't want them to shine a bunch. Its got a medium shine to it now so when the X is clean they should match perfectly. If this epoxy doesn't hold I may end up with the duplicolor. We shall see the test of time.
Posted by: stormy

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:29 PM

Todrick/Xman6,
Did you guys sand, prime, and paint or just paint?

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xman6:
Its a matte. I didn't want them to shine a bunch.
I agree... I tested a cross bar with a gloss finish and it looked like crap and it drew to much attention. The matte is not as noticable but is much better looking. I tried to find something that looked like the yakama racks.

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:36 PM

i washed... with soap and a SOS type pad... got all the dirt off then just sprayed away... i figure the texture of the powdercoat would be grippy enough to allow the Dupli-color to stick... appears fine so far... i even did a unscientific test and tried to rub the paint off with my hand... i dont realy put anything up on my rack so thats about all the testing i need to worry about

---edited cause stormy is a smart ass [Finger] ---

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
i even did a unscientific rub test with my hand...
UUUMMMMM... Too much information! laugh

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:43 PM

damn it

ok i gotta edit that

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:45 PM

Just joking dude. I washed the rack with simple green, then painted. I went a little thin on one spot. I might add one more coat if I get motivated

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 03:50 PM

im with you there... its a bit thin in two little 2x2" spots... if i do touch it up im not even removing the rack... i'll just mask and use drop clothes
Posted by: Bobby

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 05:30 PM

Hey guys, that looks terrific.

Did you also paint the grey plastic on the step rails? I can't see very clearly in the pics! Looks nice tho man!

Bobby

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 05:54 PM

Thanks Bobby.

I did the same as Todrick. Scrubbed down with simple green and then painted. I put three coats on mine so I am not light in any place. But if they needed touched up I agree taking off the rack again would be more hassle than it is worth.
Posted by: xcanuk

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 05:57 PM

Really like the look... but wish someone actually used their rack. Between bikes, lumber and ladders, there is always something on mine. Maybe I just test paint the spare crossbar and judge from there.
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: even more painted roof racks - 26/04/02 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xman6:
Yeah it looked very naked without the rack. Almost like a Frontier with a topper.

Anyway I used an epoxy paint from Ace hardware. It is supposed to dry very hard and withstand some abuse.

Now I hope to be able to find some steelies so I can paint them black and go the entire blacked out route.
I hope you get rid of the 4x4 sticker if you are going all black.

Re: even more painted roof racks - 27/04/02 06:00 AM

Yes they will come off when and if I get the wheels.
Posted by: Accasbel

Re: even more painted roof racks - 28/04/02 07:58 AM

i hope that this doesn't become a trend - if black racks become prevelant shanna might have me return the rack the original gray...

Re: even more painted roof racks - 28/04/02 10:16 AM

LOL I have been wanting to for a while just never did. Saw the looks of your and Stormy's and got me in the mood again.
Posted by: Neo

Re: even more painted roof racks - 28/04/02 12:12 PM

Painted mine with Duplicolor GM318 about 4 months ago!!

Posted by: KCX

Re: even more painted roof racks - 29/04/02 11:12 AM

Looks good Xman6!! Are you going to Broken Bow May 17th? If so, I'll get to see the paint job up close!

Re: even more painted roof racks - 29/04/02 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neo:
Painted mine with Duplicolor GM318 about 4 months ago!!
Did you leave the vinyl on then peel it off or is that light grey vinyl?