Stock Grabbers warranty question

Posted by: Anonymous

Stock Grabbers warranty question - 08/05/01 11:28 AM

I couldn't find a past subject on this, so...

I have the stock General Grabbers on my 2000 and after camping (and off-roading) in Oklahoma this weekend, I discovered that one rear tire had a huge portion of the tread missing down to the belt. I have 21000 miles on my X currently. The other rear tires looks a little chewed, but is holding together fine. Should this type of damage be covered by the tire warranty? Has anyone had any dealings with Continental/General on situations like this? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

------------------
-jason
SWXC #25 - THC
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Stock Grabbers warranty question - 08/05/01 12:56 PM

I seriously doubt it's covered. Even with the Nissan extended warranties.

The only time you get a warantee like that is if you get aftermarket tires on your vehicle and specifically get one. Even then, I'm not so sure off-roading damage is covered.

Flats due to road hazards and defective materials and workmanship, maybe...

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow

Re: Stock Grabbers warranty question - 11/05/01 07:37 AM

FYI - I spoke to Continental/General (the tires are not warranteed ny Nissan, only the manufacturer) and told them the situation. They set up a file for me and sent me to the Discount Tire in Round Rock. The manager there looked at the tire, measured the damage, and called General. Basically, I'm getting the tire pro-rated where General is paying for 55% of the tire.

Just thought I'd give the head up to those who were curious.

By the way, BP, road hazards surprisingly are NOT covered by the tire warranty, only manuf. defects.
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Stock Grabbers warranty question - 11/05/01 08:40 AM

Wow, good job! That's more than I would have expected. Congrats!

Yeah, I think road hazard and off-roading damage is a separate deal... :-/

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow
Posted by: satrider

Re: Stock Grabbers warranty question - 15/05/01 01:11 PM

I think I was told that the extended warranty covers road hazzard for the tires. Where they will fix a tire if anything punctures it or something like that. Was that somekind of BS to get me to buy the extended warranty?

------------------

Re: Stock Grabbers warranty question - 17/05/01 04:31 PM

I called the dealer about the extended warranty coverage and was told that it was NOT covered.

I had the new tire installed today. I went ahead and had them switch the tire on the spare and my other rear tire that had a little damage on its. It's like I have two brand new tires on my X.