Tire comparison survey

Posted by: XPLORx4

Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 04:29 PM

OK, the Interco TrXus thread is over a year old now, so I've got some questions for you guys who have one of the following sets of tires:

Bridgestone Dueler MT
BFGoodrich AT
BFGoodrich MT
InterCo TrXus
Goodyear MT/R
ProComp Xterrain

While I'm really only interested particularly in the above-mentioned tires, I'm sure folks with other tire types are probably going to want to give feedback as well. This information might be useful for other people looking for a tire that fits their driving style.
Thanks for your participation!

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 04:32 PM

Copy and paste this:

* Tire type: Bridgestone BFGAT BFGMT TrXus Goodyear ProComp
* Tire size:
* Highway air pressure:
* Miles since tires were installed:
* Estimated remaining mileage:
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]:
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]:
* Number of times per month that you wheel:
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Mud Sand Rocks Dirt Pavement
On a scale of 1-10, please rate:
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires):
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue):
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not?
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 05:13 PM

* Tire type: Bridgestone BFG/AT
* Tire size: 215/75/15 (I think, they were on a Ford Ranger, now sold)
* Highway air pressure: 30 psi
* Miles since tires were installed: 20,000
* Estimated remaining mileage: at least 20,000
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? Yes
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? No
* Number of times per month that you wheel: 0, just some poorly-maintained dirt roads/mud/snow
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Mud, dirt
* Highway noise comfort: 8
* Highway wet traction performance: 8
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? At some point, but I'm thinking of Pirelli Scorpions for the X next because they may be more suitable for the kind of driving I do. My main concern is snow.
Posted by: Huey

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 05:31 PM

* Tire type: Pirrelli Scorpions A/T
* Tire size: 265/75/16
* Highway air pressure: 30-32 psi
* Miles since tires were installed: 20,000
* Estimated remaining mileage: at least another 20,00
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: Y
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]: N
* Number of times per month that you wheel: 2-3
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Mud, Snow
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires): 9
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue): 8
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not?: No, I'm looking for something more agressive, but I am more than happy with their on and off-road performance.
Posted by: PismoTaco

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 05:37 PM

* Tire type: Winston Brand AT ($400 OTD!!)
* Tire size: 32x11.50
* Highway air pressure: ~30
* Miles since tires were installed: 15,000
* Estimated remaining mileage: 30,000
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: yes
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]: No
* Number of times per month that you wheel: Every weekend
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Mud Sand Rocks Dirt Pavement
On a scale of 1-10, please rate: I sand drag every weekend
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires): 5
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue): 7
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not? Yes,, you can't beat $400 including mount, balance, tax, and road hazard! They are very aggressive for an AT.
-Chris
Posted by: superjens

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 05:45 PM

You didn't ask for these tires so too bad, I'm giving you my $0.02 anyways:

* Tire type: Dunlop Mud Rover
* Tire size: 31"
* Highway air pressure: 36 psi
* Miles since tires were installed: 15000 kms (9000 miles)
* Estimated remaining mileage: uh .... lots?
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: Y
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]: N
* Number of times per month that you wheel: 4
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: none, I'm light-footed.
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires): 4
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue): 10
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not? Absolutely, these tires rock.
Posted by: PrimeX

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 06:26 PM

* Tire type: BFG TA
* Tire size: 265/75/16
* Highway air pressure: 32 psi
* Miles since tires were installed: 2500
* Estimated remaining mileage: Better be a lot.
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: Y, finding the correct alignment is the problem.
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]:N
* Number of times per month that you wheel:1-2
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: None yet, only light trails.
On a scale of 1-10, please rate: 10
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires): 8
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue): 10, no doubt! Excellent wet traction.
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Yes, in a heartbeat.

This is an excellent thread/idea for those shopping for new shoes. smile

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 07:01 PM

* Tire type: BFG AT ko
* Tire size: 31x10.50R15
* Highway air pressure: F32/R30
* Miles since tires were installed: 30,000
* Estimated remaining mileage: <10,000
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: Yes, even with chunks of rubber missing from the tread.
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]: Yes
* Number of times per month that you wheel: Generally once or twice. Depends on season
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Rocks Dirt Pavement
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires):7
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue):8
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not? Maybe. I'm looking for a more agressive tire, but need more feedback about the tires listed in the opening message. Considering how hard I've been on these tires, they're lasting an impressively long time.
Posted by: SEXterra

Re: Tire comparison survey - 17/06/02 07:14 PM

* Tire type: Interco TrXus
* Tire size: 31x10.5 on 15s
* Highway air pressure: 28 psi
* Miles since tires were installed: 10000
* Estimated remaining mileage: 50-60k
* Have tires been able to maintain good balance? [Y/N]: Not really, Interco's are hard to balance and keep balanced
* Are significant chunks of rubber missing from the tread? [Y/N]: Nah, they still look good
* Number of times per month that you wheel: Once if I'm lucky... mad
* Type of terrain in which you most frequently have excessive wheelspin: Big lugs and sand are bad... Great in mud, kinda slippery in snow
* On a scale of 1-10, please rate: Depends on amount you wheel and where... I commute often... for that reason a 4, for sheer offroad capability and style 8... If they only made these in a 32 x 11.5
* Highway noise comfort (1=WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME PULL OVER!, 10=just as quiet as the stock tires): 4-5
* Highway wet traction performance (1=hey, is this water or ice!!?, 10=stick like glue): 7-8, I've never had any hydroplane scares... probably due to the excessive weigth of my X
* Assuming nothing better comes out, will you buy these tires again? Why/why not? I just sold these to get a set of 32x11.5 BFG MT, which I think will be a little more highway worthy, yet give me plenty of offroad ability when I do find time to play. If I can ever quit spending money on this stupid truck and save a little, I'd get a beater commuter car, and throw 32 x 11.5 Interco SSR's on.

These are great for the guy who can wheel often in the mud/rocks, doesn't have to highway drive a lot, and doesn't want to get crazy to fit them under thier truck. They fit under mine with a T-bar tweak and a zip with the dremel bam

Oh, and the price isn't bad @ $106 each