Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?

Posted by: Anonymous

Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 02/06/05 03:41 PM

My buddy's getting some good deals on cooper tires and I came acorss these in the listings they sent him- anyone hear anything good about them? bad? Im not a tire junkie- but i know there're a few of you out there wink

so, whatcha think?
Cooper STT

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 02/06/05 04:04 PM

i hear they are AWESOME offroad,i got Cooper ATR's since i didnt have the money for the STT's, but after the wheeling i've been doing (mostly mud) i wish i had dished out the cash and gotten the STT's, those are gonna be the next tire i buy

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 02/06/05 07:19 PM

I figure 10,000 more miles and those are the tires that I am getting next.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 03/06/05 08:27 AM

well.. I called my buddy- he can get the STTs for $125/tire cost.. soo.. looks like Im getting Cooper STTs cool

i'll letcha know how they really do wink
Posted by: TJ

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 03/06/05 09:50 AM

Coopers are usually OK...mud no prob, rocks used to rip'm...but the new "armor" might address that issue now....you guinia pigs let us know.

laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 03/06/05 11:21 AM

How are they on dry/wet pavement traction wise? tread life?

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 04/06/05 05:46 PM

those look pretty similar to the mud terrains toyo makes

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 21/10/05 08:42 PM

little update- i got a set yesterday- and man.. all i can say is i feel like they're rippin up the pavement.. going down to XFFIII next weekend, so they'll get their first full test run then..
onroad, they handle decent for what they are- and in all honestly, ive never seen a tire with a deeper tread depth.. just overall a very nice tire.
lovin the driveway shots.. new shots to come next week cool
yes, they're 31x10.5/15s.. they rub on turns as it is.. 32s woulda been a pits.. oh well, next year after the lift wink

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 21/10/05 09:04 PM

damn that is hot, yea, i think i'm gonna have to go with another cooper tire when my current set of ATRs wear down...that STT is one sweet tire
Posted by: Xcrement

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 22/10/05 04:40 PM

I got a set three months ago in 285 75-16. So far so good. Took them to ECXC less then a week after I got them. Aside from some chunks kindly removed by rocks, they are wearing very well. It should be interesting to see how they do in the snow.
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 22/10/05 06:01 PM

I tried to get some 32X11.5's for my wife's TJ about 6 weeks ago and no one had them and Cooper was saying it was a 6+ week lead time before they had more to ship. I couldn't wait since the TJ wouldn't pass inspection so I bought 32" Dunlop Mud Rover's and so far they are great, better than when I had BFG Muds on my X.

Next tire Cooper STT's or Toyo Mud Country's.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 22/10/05 06:06 PM

They are great in mud....they slip off of rocks though...and the chunking reported above...rocks.

Loves mud, hates rocks.

If you don't do rocks...grab these tires.

laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 23/10/05 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
They are great in mud....they slip off of rocks though...and the chunking reported above...rocks.

Loves mud, hates rocks.

If you don't do rocks...grab these tires.

laugh
This sounds like the opinion of someone who has never run this tire.

First off, all tires chunk.

Secondly, I see no evidence to suggest that this tire can't grip rock. The tread pattern is similar to the MT/R and has siping.

I've never seen ANY tire tear as much as BFG's. I've seen them pop on no less than 8 different occasions.

IMO, the Cooper solution for tears is a much better one than anybody else's. I believe that the ArmorTek3 construction will make this one of the strongest radials around.

For as much as they're charging for MT/R's, I think this tire is worth a shot.

If you look at the drivers reports on the page linked to above, I think it will be evident that people who are using this tire feel differently than TJ's speculation.

EDIT:

Almost forgot.

Looks great whitenblue!

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 23/10/05 05:14 PM

hey everyone.. im happy to report that these tires really do walk right through some decent mud.. i felt completely comfortable wheeling through some pretty large mud and water pits today in bradford with some friends! i would definatly recommend these tires to anyone looking for nice mudders.. on road they're much better now that they're aired down to ~35psi.. gas mileage really hasn't suffered much either [after the air down].. hopefully there will be some good pics to post from today! thanks for compliments!

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 23/10/05 08:04 PM

I heard those tires are damn sexy! they look great! any more pics?

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 23/10/05 08:24 PM

I saw those on a truck in a parking lot A while back so I looked um up on the internt. They remind me of MT/R's. Might be my next tire after the Dunlop MT's wear out. To bad I didn't Know about them before I got the tire's I've got now.

And yeah, New mud tires are harsh for about 30+ days. Feels like driving a tractor on concrete.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 05:28 AM

Jeff - Notice I said "Rocks"...my shorthand for that's what rocks do.

laugh

As for slipping off rocks, they do, sorry.

They work well in mud, but, slip off of rocks.

Again, sorry to give you that bad news...great in mud, suck on rocks (Because they have little grip on rocks, despite sipes, etc.).

laugh

[Wave]
Posted by: FinallyAnXer

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 06:28 AM

Sarah's tires in action:

Please note, the strap was there for precautionary purposes, at no time did Sarah need "assistance."

These tires performed very well in some pretty muddy conditions, we didn't hit too many rocks, as it was pouring and everything was mud. She'll put them through the ringer at Rausch Creek though.

-Jeremy

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 07:01 AM

damn thats awesome, i wish i had trails like that around here frown

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Jeff - Notice I said....
I did notice what you said.

I'll take published multi-thousand mile reports over your speculation, though.

You can present it as fact, but what you say is unfounded. You've never run the tire and you don't know.

I can say that I've seen the gummiest Interco on earth slip of rocks, too. And then saw a Goodyear roll right over it. So what? There are too many other variables to just blame the tire.

Presenting something as fact does not make it true. These tires are too new and the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned.

One thing's for sure. That ArmorTek3 has raised the bar for tear protection.......

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 10:18 AM

And those multi thousand mile reports didn't mention that the tire slips off of rocks?

Hmmm.

They were slipping when I saw them.

laugh

I'll check out if anyone else has them besides the guys I know, or if someone has good luck on rocks and not slipping...

If I find they grip rocks like glue, and I saw salient rather than representative evidence, I will be a big fan of them, instead of thinking they slip on rocks, and rock in mud.

laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
.....They were slipping when I saw them......
All tires slip with unskilled drivers.....

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 01:31 PM

:rolleyes:

So - Is your point that tires only slip if the driver is unskilled, and that if a model of tire slips, it is the driver, but not the tire?

[Freak]

Ain't that pushing it a bit?

laugh

How about I've seen them in action, and you haven't...and you liked what you read about them...and can't accept a conflicting opinion now?

BTW - I checked, and it seems one of the 4wd mags did a review of them recently, along with some other tires....and they also liked them, with the caveat that they slipped off rocks, which surprised the reviewers...as they LOOKED like they should have gripped....but, slipped.

If I get the article fowarded to me, I'll read it to see if that's the whole story...then I'll see if I can post it or a link depending upon the length, etc.

laugh

To repeat, they seem like great tires that slip on rocks....if they don't slip, or if there's no rocks to slip off of, I'd run them.

And chunking isn't a sidewall rip...so the jury's out on that issue thus far...but, I checked the sidewalls out, and they at least LOOK like they'de be OK.

laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 01:51 PM

hey TJ.. come to XFFIII this weekend.. we'll find some rocks, test them out, and then everyone can STFU! smile :p good? reviews are ok, word of mouth/personal testimonials are better.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 05:32 PM

OK - June 2005 issue of Petersons 4 wheel & Offroad magazine reviewed the STT...and overall, rated it highly, with one caveat...the tread compound slips on rocks, as it is designed to be longer wearing than some other MT's.

laugh

The article is called "Lugfest".

So - It seems that I'm not the only one to make that observations

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 08:28 PM

^ who the eff cares. they do great in mud: WHERE THEY WERE DESIGNED TO BE USED! i don't care about rocks, and anyone who does some research on them before buying will see that they're rated primarily for MUD. 80%: Dirt/MUD, 20%: Pavement/Sand [ROCKS would fit into this category].

:-D

cut the shit, stop arguing over opinions.

CAN YA TELL IM STRESSED OUT TODAY??!
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 24/10/05 09:08 PM

Aperion in our club been running them for a while now and we've both been impressed with them

Seen a fair amount of rocks and they don't slip wink For the price diff. I would take them over GY MT/R's

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 25/10/05 07:51 PM

Sorry to post what I saw and thought of the tires listed in the Heading: "....Whatcha Think?", didn't know what "Whatcha think?" meant I guess.

wink

Enjoy!

laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 04:02 PM

Just got myself a set of the STT's tonite....they are a totally awesome looking tire....can't want to get them put on, and try um out.....Let it snow...Let it snow!!! [Finger]

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 04:12 PM

about the STTs, the comparisons you guys are talking about....remember there's two versions of this tire? could that make a difference in them?(the rocks and everything)

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1983:
about the STTs, the comparisons you guys are talking about....remember there's two versions of this tire? could that make a difference in them?(the rocks and everything)
if you mean between the radial,and regular new model? they have have the radial STT and the new design STT that just came out (or so i was told by my tire guy that it was brand new design)...

heres the radial

and the new one,

i was talking to the guy i got my tires from at the tire shop,and he said they are awesome, but firestone just came out with a redesigned MT and those are very sweet looking too..

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 05:49 PM

I picked up a set of those new style ones....soooo sweet, and meaty!! laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newfieX:
I picked up a set of those new style ones....soooo sweet, and meaty!! laugh
have you tested em out yet? i've heard they rip mud apart, but have some trouble on rocks? not sure how true it is, but i'd love a set of those when i upgrade my tires again laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 06:15 PM

Haven't tried them out yet, I have to get an aligment done on her first. So it will be a few days. But going from the stock long trails to these I should find a pretty good difference. laugh I keep ya posted on how I find them later. Can't wait for the snow to fly here now!!

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 09/11/05 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newfieX:
But going from the stock long trails to these I should find a pretty good difference. laugh !
[LOL] that's awesome!

and yeah, i was talking about the difference between the 'older' STT Radials, and the new STT. I don't know for sure, but rumors float around that the older version is either not being made or is being fazed out. i was just curious if they knew which version of the STT was being referred to as 'slipping' on the rocks. i don't doubt it, just curious if maybe cooper fixed that. it definetely looks like an MT/R...but looks are just that, looks.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 03:28 AM

It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 05:41 AM

Good to hear.....I won't be running any rocks anyway. Nice to see that I should be fine everywhere else. laugh

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.
TJ has never run this tire. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

One driver who had them in the outback:
"On twisty dirt roads pushed reasonably quickly, tracked well, some sliding but then we did have 3.2 ton of Landcruiser pushing them, felt safe and comfortable.

We spent 7 days in constant 4wd territory, some of it very gnarly, very steep and most days in low range, surface varied from some mud holes to dry clay, deep dust and a lot of broken rock, all on very steep tracks both up and down.

Tyres gripped everywhere, provided great adhesion over all surfaces including rock faces, loose rocks and dry clay, tyres never slipped at all. Even when deliberatley picking high side of wet muddy ruts and taken very slowly the tyres gripped and did not slip off. Even tried changing direction in one muddy rut and the tyres gripped and walked out of the slippery rut."

A Nissan Patrol in the Outback:
"eventually come to the gibber flats on the Sturt's Stony Desert. It was on these flats that I thought that I may have tyre trouble. I was helping a couple of mates muster some wild camels. I was driving flat-out across large gibber flats with small creek gullies, sand dunes covered with Spinifex, and lots of large rim-busting rocks. Wheeling the heavily loaded Patrol around sharply trying to keep the camels moving in the right direction certainly tested both the tyres & the suspension. The tyres came through without any damage (the other Toyota was not so lucky, ripping 2 tyres to bits over the rocks)

I can only say that these new Armor-Tek STT Cooper's are the best tyres for these Outback conditions as they are certainly more than strong enough to cope with the rugged terrain."

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 09:29 AM

well seeing as tho this is my thread, and i got the tires, and have run them..

they do AMAZING in mud. period.

on street- they're good for being mud tires. on the highway, they're fine no problems.

on rocks? well, they dont slip anymore than any other tire i've seen/run. they gripped pretty well in some sticky situations down at Rausch Creek last weekend, so i can't say anything bad about them. I only lost traction with them ONCE out of the numerous wheeling trips ive taken them on in the past month- and that was my fault on an incline straddling a ditch i didnt have my steering aligned right.. with a slight turn of the wheel and a little gas, i got right out of the ditch.

you wanna know how they really do? buy a set and try them out. i guarantee you wont be disappointed [ahem, unless ur TJ.. then disappointment is apparently inevitable]. for the money, they're worth every penny.

plus, i dont know if its just cuz im a girl, but ive even gotten thumbs ups from JEEP GUYS on the tires.. c'mon, you know they're jealous [Smoking]

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 10:08 AM

The TSL Radial is simply the best radial out there, hands down. Kicks ass in the mud......and laughs at rocks!! On road wear is great also. Tire noise is somewhat excessive, but I actually love it.

And Sarah....you truck looks great with those tires and your wheels painted. You got them on and tested them...really no need for people to bitch about it anymore. wink
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 01:07 PM

Yeah I’m looking at the STT’s for the bronco as a better overall tire than the Swamper’s.

I’ll vouch for the SS TSL’s the best tire I’ve ever run off-road in the mud & rocks although I went with the BIAS ply for the tougher sidewalls. My 33’s actually lasted ~ 50k on hundreds of runs with three different trucks over a 4 year period.

In the sand the TSL’s dig too much and on slickrock they were deceit but not as good as say my BFG KO’S and even more so when it came to wet weather or snow.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 10/11/05 04:12 PM

Sheesh...I LIKE Cooper STT's.

laugh

I guy I wheeled with had them, they were slipping more than the others....I said when I saw them, they were slipping...and were not rounding up camels or in Australia or other places tires have "Y"'s in them, etc.

laugh

(It was an observation, not a postion paper)

wink

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 13/11/05 01:48 PM

do the new stt's have white letters on both sidewalls or just one side??

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 13/11/05 01:51 PM

White letters on one side and black letters on the other.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 15/11/05 03:28 AM

These were my first choice tire, but the cost was insane here. No one could get me 265/75 R16s for less than $190.00 each and I checked with several shops and distributors. I ended up getting my #2 choice the TrXus MTs for $130.00 each. I simply could not justify spending more for 4 of the Coopers than for 5 of the TrXus.

I heard the TrXus were better in the rocks too wink

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 15/11/05 05:30 PM

Tried out my STT's alittle bit this weekend. So far I find them awesome!! Tears the mud right up!!

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 15/11/05 09:30 PM

NewfieX, what size u runnin, those Cooper STT's look sick man.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 16/11/05 05:46 AM

31x10.5's....thanks man!!

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 18/11/05 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
[b]It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.
TJ has never run this tire. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

One driver who had them in the outback:
"On twisty dirt roads pushed reasonably quickly, tracked well, some sliding but then we did have 3.2 ton of Landcruiser pushing them, felt safe and comfortable.

We spent 7 days in constant 4wd territory, some of it very gnarly, very steep and most days in low range, surface varied from some mud holes to dry clay, deep dust and a lot of broken rock, all on very steep tracks both up and down.

Tyres gripped everywhere, provided great adhesion over all surfaces including rock faces, loose rocks and dry clay, tyres never slipped at all. Even when deliberatley picking high side of wet muddy ruts and taken very slowly the tyres gripped and did not slip off. Even tried changing direction in one muddy rut and the tyres gripped and walked out of the slippery rut."

A Nissan Patrol in the Outback:
"eventually come to the gibber flats on the Sturt's Stony Desert. It was on these flats that I thought that I may have tyre trouble. I was helping a couple of mates muster some wild camels. I was driving flat-out across large gibber flats with small creek gullies, sand dunes covered with Spinifex, and lots of large rim-busting rocks. Wheeling the heavily loaded Patrol around sharply trying to keep the camels moving in the right direction certainly tested both the tyres & the suspension. The tyres came through without any damage (the other Toyota was not so lucky, ripping 2 tyres to bits over the rocks)

I can only say that these new Armor-Tek STT Cooper's are the best tyres for these Outback conditions as they are certainly more than strong enough to cope with the rugged terrain."[/b]
Hmm just saw this thread for the second time and noticed it took you a week to do some research to eventually quote testimonials off Coopers website.... Seems like a reasonably unbiased opinion.... TJ was offering his opinion but you can never be wrong just like you demonstrated in the wrangler or xterra thread.

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 18/11/05 06:20 PM

I think I'll be looking into a set.
Posted by: bluztraveler

Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think? - 18/11/05 06:38 PM

Nice tires! [ThumbsUp]
So what are they like on road,highway,rain,noise?
Just want to know, tires are in the future for me.
thanks,Perry