Next Gen compatible rims

Posted by: Anonymous

Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 10:32 AM

Finally, I am back in the U.S. for a while, and I just checked the MB Gunnar 6 rims - they fit on the next gen Xterra WITHOUT needing a spacer! [ThumbsUp] [Smoking] Thanks to Discount Tire for holding these rims for me for over 1 month (I hear some of you guys were trying to get them to give them up!)

Now, I need to decide what offroad tires to put on them. These tires must be good for rock crawling, mud, and trails, and be of a radial design. These will not be my daily driving tires, so street performance and noise is less important.

Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Goodyear MT/R.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 10:38 AM

Here is what they look like - just remember, those in the Hwy 6 store are mine!

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 11:06 AM

Specs?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 11:11 AM

somebody on this board removed my old thread . . .

the specs again are: 6 lug on 4.5" spacing (6x114.5)
5.5" backspacing (I think)

load rating (if I remember, it was around 3200 lbs)

size: 16" x 8"

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 07:04 PM

how much you get them for?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/02/06 08:59 PM

at 16x8 will they not stickout a bit? I think that look is awesome...

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 19/02/06 05:06 AM

$125 a piece - but haven't forked over the cash yet.

Becuase the backspacing and offset are very near the same as the stock wheels, and because there is no need for a spacer (spacer=protrusion), then these wheels should stick out very little.

Once I pick my tires, the next job is to insure fit of both tire & wheel. But since many have put 285x75xR16 tires on their next gen Xs, I am expecting little to no issues.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 19/02/06 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dnorton:
Here is what they look like - just remember, those in the Hwy 6 store are mine!

Highway 6, huh? I may have to take look *cough* steal *cough* those up.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 19/02/06 08:02 PM

Why get such nice looking wheels if they're just for off-roading? If you're just going to beat them up use the stock ones.
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 19/02/06 08:10 PM

I don't see a R18 for the MT/R - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+MT%2FR

I had MT/Rs on my X and loved them. They are a very heavy tire and you will loose MPG and power as compared to a BFG A/T.

Good luck on finding the right tire for your 18" rim. Its a nice rim!!! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 19/02/06 09:31 PM

R18 - 18" rim ? I am not sure where this was communicated - the rims that I have tried are 16" rims ; thanks for the appreciation on the looks though.

As far as why use such nice looking rims, I agree - and until today I had not seen any other aftermarket rims that fit the 05-06 X. The issue here is to find some rims to which I can mount offroad worthy tires (and leave the BFG long trails on my stock rims for every day use). If I could find plain steel (and cheap - not the steeler prices) rims that would work WITHOUT spacers, that would be great.

If somebody has found such a beast, please chime in - but I truly doubt it.

Once I get the rims and tires installed, I will post pictures.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 20/02/06 02:51 PM

I think the OEM specs are like this:

16 x 7 J or 17 x 7.5 J

5.5" BS

Bolt pattern 6x4.5"
Thread size12x1.25
OEM Hex 21mm
Hub ring 66.1
OEM offset +30

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 20/02/06 07:34 PM

Hwoodstealin

I am holding off on any more upgrades right now. Go "steal" my wheels from the Hwy 6 Discount tire store. I will let them know that they are free to be sold.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 21/02/06 04:54 PM

why would you want to put some expensive, shiny rims on a truck that you say will be rock crawled, offroaded and mudded. They would probably be ruined real quick anyways why not wait a little bit for some black steelies or better yet find a set of steelies of an X trim model and powdercoat those black and beat the hell out of them.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 21/02/06 04:58 PM

I just got a call from aplace called national 4x4 the new generation x's also fit the American Racing 797's...hope this helps

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 22/02/06 04:39 AM

Gbizzle,

I can partly see where you are coming from, but if you do the math and consider other factors, you might see that these "shiny" alloy rims make alot of sense.

First, they are not that shiny, they are "anthracite machined" meaning they have a machined look and are greyish silver, not a shiny chrome, which is also an option for the bling lovers (not me). So I don't think these will look to gaudy for an offroading truck, but that is a matter of personal taste. To me, the rims on the 06 X model are too boring and look cheap.

Steel rims cost at least $50 a piece (more like $80), but there are no aftermarket rims (someone correct me if I am wrong) that fit the Next Gen X WITHOUT SPACERS! This means that you must also buy a spacer for each wheel (maybe another $50 per wheel? -someone else can comment here becuase these things must be custom ordered, I think), and many of those in the "know" (not me) feel that spacers are not a good idea, especially for serious offroading. Plus, spacers will make your wheels stick out more than they normally would, but you need them to clear your front brake calipers.

If you want to purchase the steel rims from the dealer for the 05X (i.e. the same steel rim used as the spare on the S model), then get ready to fork out $220 a piece! (that is not a "cheap" steel rim). I haven't checked the price of the plain black rims on the 06X from the stealer, but I would be surprised if they are any cheaper.

Another thing to consider is weight. The more unsprung weight (mostly wheels, tires, and axles), the less horsepower is available for accelerating the truck. Steel wheels will weigh more than aluminum. I have not compared the weight differences from this wheel and say the steel wheels that PonyBoy has purchased (I think Crager), but you must also add in the weight of the spacer, which although it will probably be aluminum (not sure here), it still adds more weight to the rotating parts.

So at the end of the day, the price of steel rims and spacers might be close to the $125 cost of these alloy rims, but you might not be as safe, you will have less horsepower, and the wheels will stick out more. Go the OEM route, and the wheels should be safe and not stick out, but you still will have less available horsepower (probably) and ALOT more cost.

Long-winded, but maybe it makes some sense?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 22/02/06 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by miles:
I just got a call from aplace called national 4x4 the new generation x's also fit the American Racing 797's...hope this helps
Not according the American Racing Website. The only 16x7 have a 5-4.5" bolt pattern. Of course the website might no be up to date.

Linky
Posted by: TJ

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 22/02/06 07:11 AM

The other school of thought is that you can start out ugly, and stay ugly, or start out pretty, and slowly degrade with time.

laugh

I went with the "Leave the OEM rims on, I already have them" school of thought, as the tires fit them anyway, and I don't really need different rims to mount tires.

To go in a big circle, to find rims that fit the stock specs, when I already had some on the truck seemed a waste of mod money.

laugh

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/02/06 07:43 AM

dnorton,

You say that they fit, how close to the suspension and the calipers were they? I am looking at the 18" version, but would have to eat shipping and other fees if I bought them and they didn't fit. I wish there was a store near me to try them out first but there isn't.

Thanks

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/02/06 09:33 AM

18" version? probably not for offroading, I suspect.

Calipers were very close (could fit a business card between caliper & rim, but just barely). Don't know about suspension, but did not think to check. The wheel did spin freely after mounting onto the Xterra with its front end lifted with a floor jack (so the wheel was in a "drooped" position)

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/02/06 01:20 PM

Finally, I bought the Gunner 6 rims (16x8, 6x4.5) for my 05 Xterra. Cost was $541, tax included. I should have brought my digital camera to Discount Tire, but I forgot. I did not buy tires yet, but fit up the left front wheel which had a BFG AT/KO (285x75x16) mounted.

There is some rubbing on the rear of the front wheel well, but I don't think it is too serious. Once the AC lift is installed, this should be even less of an issue. Again, as before, there was no contact of the wheel with the caliper or any of the suspension components over the full turning span.

Thinking of getting some Goodyear MT/Rs (285x75x16) mounted later, unless someone can talk me into something else [ThumbsUp]

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 01/04/06 08:19 PM

OK. Finally I have the wheels and tire mounted.

cant get stupid images to properly upload to FTP site! mad

Anyone help me do this myself, and you will see cool rims with Goodyear MT/Rs!

Thanks! [Wave]

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 02/04/06 11:10 AM

Save them on your computer...sign up for photobucket and upload them there and then once uploaded copy the img link and past on your reply...I dont know if this helps?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 02/04/06 02:08 PM

miles,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I am on my way to Aberdeen and then over to Brunei for a few weeks, and I left my pictures on my home computer!
mad

(one of my pre-trip todo's was to copy the pictures onto a memory card that I am bringing - did not get done.

My Xterra is with Jim Shrake again. Hopefully he will post pictures soon, probably after a lift, skid plates, and rear bumper are installed laugh

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 02/04/06 03:42 PM

Quote:
First, they are not that shiny, they are "anthracite machined" meaning they have a machined look and are greyish silver, not a shiny chrome,
So they are using coal to cut the wheels? Neat wink

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 02/04/06 03:49 PM

OK. I had my daughter load my pictures on to the web in my absence. I hope you enjoy the photos half as much as I enjoy my Xterra!

Even more amazing is the fact that Discount tire mounted my wireless pressure sensors on these new wheels! [Smoking]

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 06:16 AM

Who's the person in the truck giving the "loser" sign? Is that for you, dad?!?!

They look good. I've always loved the Canteen color.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 09:56 AM

Those don't look all that bad. They need to make them in black.

So those fit with no spacers needed? What size tires are those? 285's? If so, is there any more than normal rubbing?

Since our options are limited and I need a good MT ASAP I might just have to pony up and buy those.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 03:31 PM

max6spd,

I didn't notice the "loser" sign until you pointed it out - and yes, it is from my son for me - xterra obsessed.

Muzikman,

They do make these wheels in black, just not in the size and bolt pattern needed for the Next Gen. X. I can't seem to find a picture on the web, but you can see the gloss black version if you go to a retail store.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 03:43 PM

Muzikman,

no spacers!, 285mmx75%x16", rubbing fairly loud on right tire and less on left when turned at ~45° - don't think it is too big a deal for wear, since the rub is on the rubbery plastic cover inside the wheel well (and there is give behind the plastic, it is not up against hard metal).

The wheel size is 16" x 8", 6 on 114.5mm spacing (I don't even see this size anymore on the Discount tire web site [Uh Oh !] )

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 03:49 PM

I forgot to mention price, if anyone is concerned. Made a deal with Discount Tire, and got all 5 tires and one rim mounted balanced, installed, and lugnuts for all 5 wheels for $1121, tax included. (I had purchased 4 rims earlier for $541, tax included.) [ThumbsUp]

Total out the door for 5 new wheels & tires: $1662 [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 06:25 PM

awesome pics...love the goodyear wranglers(RIGHT?) Those rims lok awesome...know of any plain steelies that fit the new generation X's?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 03/04/06 08:02 PM

can anyone crop those picsto be a bit smller?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 17/04/06 08:28 PM

dnorton-Just picked up on the gunner 6 rims. Very nice. Now that you have had a few days on them have you had any problems with the close fit to the calipers? Or suspension problems?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/04/06 07:52 AM

kgordon,

I have not had any issues with the new wheels and tires regarding the brake calipers or the suspension. The only issue (as talked about before) is the rubbing of the tires.

However, I switched back to the stock wheels and rims about a week ago. I did this for a few reasons: stock wheels are quiter around town; I want to maximize the tire life of the Goodyear MT/Rs (not wear away the rubber quicker on the streets); finally, although it was just one data point, the gas mileage with the new wheels and tires was 13.5 mpg, which is ~2.5 mpg worse than the stock setup frown .

Just to clarify, when I say I "switched back", my Gunnars w/ Goodyears are in my storage unit, waiting for GoneMoab! cool

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 26/04/06 05:59 PM

I read this thread 'cause I was looking for a second set of rims for an 06 OR and learned our Nissan dealer here wants $442 each for the alloys and $286 for steels. Does anyone think this is NOT a ripoff?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 26/04/06 11:26 PM

OK, tell me if I'm asking stupid questions. By measuring the factory rims on our 06 OR, I get a width of 8-3/16 inches and a backspace of 5 inches (the dealer told me 7 and 5.5). Anyway that is a bigger back space than any rims I've seen (assuming I could find the right bolt pattern) so what is all this about needing spacers? It seems any rim you'd be likely to find would just stick out a little more and leave more clearence from brakes, etc.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/04/06 11:49 AM

WHEELS THAT FIT 05/06 ORs
Thanks to all here for helping me with my dumb questions. Discount Tire has 8 wheel styles that fit 05/06 Xterra ORs (with the exception of not accepting the low pressure sensor valve stems-they said the hole has different angle and or size). On their site click "search wheels by size" and enter 16 x 8 x 6-114.3 and 7 MB alloys will show up with 25mm offset (very close to OEM) and one Unique black steel with a 12mm offset (will clear the brakes by 1/2 inch more). Hope this helps

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/04/06 12:09 PM

Bedrock,

Word of caution. Don't assume that offset will help judge the ability to clear the brake calipers - it doesn't.

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel (as if you cut it in half, and each half is still a circle) to the mounting surface of the rim (where the wheel touches the hub with the lug nuts. This spec does NOT tell anyone how much further away from the hub is the 'spoke' area of the rim. It is that distance (and its 'width' as well) which is not specified anywhere that determines brake clearance.

If it were possible to determine the brake clearance issue just by looking at the specs, then there would be far less speculation on these forums about which wheels might fit an 05-06 X, and places like Discount would not need to do 'trial' fittings of rims prior to purchase.

FYI, having a rim with 12mm offset just means that it will stick out ~1/2 inch further away from the body of the truck than say a 25mm offset rim - again, not necessarily any more (or any less) room for caliper clearance.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 27/04/06 06:15 PM

Quote:
Bedrock,

Word of caution. Don't assume that offset will help judge the ability to clear the brake calipers - it doesn't.

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel (as if you cut it in half, and each half is still a circle) to the mounting surface of the rim (where the wheel touches the hub with the lug nuts. This spec does NOT tell anyone how much further away from the hub is the 'spoke' area of the rim. It is that distance (and its 'width' as well) which is not specified anywhere that determines brake clearance.

If it were possible to determine the brake clearance issue just by looking at the specs, then there would be far less speculation on these forums about which wheels might fit an 05-06 X, and places like Discount would not need to do 'trial' fittings of rims prior to purchase.

FYI, having a rim with 12mm offset just means that it will stick out ~1/2 inch further away from the body of the truck than say a 25mm offset rim - again, not necessarily any more (or any less) room for caliper clearance.
Roger that, but the guy I talked to (after a lengthy discusion on offset relating to backspace depending on wheel lip thickness and overall wheel width) said those would all work, having speced the Gunner, Blitz and Preditor and seeing that the Unique had more clearence than the rest, though it would stick out 1/2" further. I see what you mean about clearence of un published dimensions such as spoke area. I guess I'm about to become a guinea pig. I'll let ya know how it works. I'm still pissed at Nissan for designing the need for such an oddball size and wanting so much $ for the OE. I'll be doing some mouthing off about that next time I'm at the dealer.

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 18/05/07 04:29 PM

according to the website at www.americanracing.com , they have quite a few wheels that will fit the 2006 xterra. am i missing something or is this new?

Re: Next Gen compatible rims - 21/05/07 11:06 AM

they all appear to be 18"