Good tires for a good price?

Posted by: Ramness

Good tires for a good price? - 04/02/02 08:08 PM

Since the General Grabbers suck I will be looking to get new tires soon. I have an XE with 15” rims and do a little offroading when I can. A lot of folks here seem to like the BFGs so I'll be looking at those definitely. Anyone recommend a good style for dirt trails and occasional mud? Size? Good price?
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 04/02/02 08:22 PM

Check out the Dunlop Rover RT . Tread looks to have an excellent pattern for dirt, with some chunky side lugs that pitch in when it gets gooey.

Brent
Posted by: MOLTAR

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 04/02/02 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Check out the Dunlop Rover RT .
Brent

somehow, i knew that was coming... laugh
Posted by: Hank

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 04/02/02 08:33 PM

Are the Dunlops a better choice compared to BFG AT's (with function and price in mind)? I'm with Brian...I'll be buying tires soon (tax return is good for something).

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 06:37 AM

i am looking at getting the Rover R/T, which, based on this report , and combined with their listing of $109, i think this may be the BFG's best competitor, and cheaper. i have found them for $130 with all the toppings...
if you want something more meaty, the
Dunlop Mud Rover is fairly cheap, and has good reviews. they list on tirerack.com for $122, and i have found them locally for $135 with all the toppings...

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: sean yeager ]

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: sean yeager ]
Posted by: wqbang

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 08:10 AM

Brian,

Check out your local Costco store. They have 31" BFG A/T KO's there for ~ $115 with mounting, lifetime balancing and roadhazard INCLUDED. They should fit your needs quite well, and have a 50K treadwear warranty.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 09:57 AM

I believe Costco no longer carries the BFG ATs. BFG has strict price controls on the ATs (and no other tire in their line that I know of) and I don't think Costco could work with it.

Brent

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 10:16 AM

Quote:
I believe Costco no longer carries the BFG ATs.

I saw them a few weeks ago when I was purchasing my BFG MT's from them.
Posted by: mudflap

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 12:53 PM

Quote:
Check out the Dunlop Rover RT . Tread looks to have an excellent pattern for dirt, with some chunky side lugs that pitch in when it gets gooey.
Brent

That's interesting, it's the top-rated M/T at TireCrack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/ormt.jsp
I am considering the second top-rated, the Bridgestone Dueler M/T. Has a 30-day try 'em deal with it. My experience would add to our tire knowledge base since I have not heard of anyone other X'er running them.
If they suck, I take 'em back and get something else. Note: one reviewer said they don't have 3-ply sidewalls. Brent and others could comment on the disadvantages of that feature if they want to.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: mudflap ]
Posted by: n2fireresq

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 04:34 PM

i bought my goodyear AT/S's yesterday - i like 'em - 6 ply on the tread - make the X look good too

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 05/02/02 07:59 PM

I do have respect for the 3-ply sidewall on my BFGs. I've nailed them a couple of times pretty damn hard and I was sure it would have trashed them but they didn't even flinch. I've watched them take abuse from tree roots on the trail as well, but all of the above were not routine situations. Nice to have should you need it, but is it critical? I dunno.

Brent

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 07:47 AM

Was at costco yesterday. Didn't see the AT KO's there. Perhaps they can order them? They still carry the BFG MT KM's, which are suprisingly well mannered on the road.
Posted by: brian903

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 11:35 AM

Costco doesn't carry the BFGs anymore, but they do have their Kirland AT tire, which appears to be identical to the BFG. Check the AF site for the thread related to this. I'm planning to get these within a month or so. Mounted, balanced, valve stems, and road hazard the tires are $88 each for a 31x10.5. When I get them, I'll update.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 11:42 AM

Actually, I'll rephrase that Costco doesn't have the BFGs since some said they saw them. The Costco in Portland where I bought BFGs a few years ago doesn't sell them, nor do the ones up here. smile
Posted by: Mel A.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 04:26 PM

The best all-around tire is the Dunlop Radial Rover RT. We had these tires on our Yukon and they did great in everything. They were quiter than the BFG All-Terrains they replaced, and they gripped ice like snow tires. Mud traction was supurb as was the tread-wear. I have heard that the two-ply sidewall is just as thick as BFG's 3. Unlike the Interco TrXus, I have never heard of anyone blowing a bead! They would rightfully spank the BFG All-Terrains in ALL aspects!
Posted by: Xcited

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 06:04 PM

Have any of you guys had the Dunlop Radial Rover R/T's? I plan on doing a lot more off roading as time goes on, but my X is also my daily driver and I also do a lot of highway driving as well. Just curious how they perform on the highway at highway speeds, particularly in wet weather.

I checked out the reviews at Tire Rack for these and they have gotten excellent reviews all around. Actually one of the highest rated/reviewed maximum traction tires on Tire Rack as far as reviews go. But I'm looking for comments from anyone that has had (or currently has) them on an X.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Xcited ]

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 06:25 PM

The post before yours is from someone that had them (on a Yukon).

More reading: http://www.rangerovers.net/rrtires.htm http://www.dunloptire.com/tires/trans.html http://forums.vmag.com/suvrrover0199/messages/188.html

Brent
Posted by: Xcited

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 07:10 PM

Quote:
The post before yours is from someone that had them (on a Yukon).

Sorry, I saw that, but I was wondering if anyone has had them on their X and maybe had some feedback?

Thanks for the links they were pretty helpful too.
Posted by: seamonkey

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 08:09 PM

Uniroyal Laredo

I have had 3 sets of these. 35K-40K miles, never popped one, cheapish, excellent traction, everyone doesnt have them.
Posted by: Rosco

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 08:36 PM

I just put the Dunlop Radial Rover RT's on my truck last week. I followed Brent's advice and did my own research. It was snowing the day they were installed and I immediately notice a marked improvement over the previous tires.

I'll be going to Moab soon and give them a work out. On road they are more quiet than the BFG's. I'm very happy thus far.

Thanks for the tip Brent.
Posted by: wranglervv

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 06/02/02 11:38 PM

I have been looking at those Uniroyal Laredos MT in 32" (see above) for a month or so now... they seem like a good tire, do any of you guys run them on your X's?
Posted by: SplashMan

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 05:17 AM

Why does everyone here hate Generals? I have the General M/Ts and love them. I get better traction in all conditions than I did with my old BFG M/Ts and I have 12,000 miles on them with 12 wheeling trips thrown in and they still have 90-95% of thier tread left with no scars or anything.
I will say that I am saving up for MTRs after tax season, but if that falls through, I will definatly get Generals again when these wear out.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brian903:
Costco doesn't carry the BFGs anymore, but they do have their Kirland AT tire, which appears to be identical to the BFG.

Actually, after loloking at that tire, it is exactly like the OLD style BFG AT. These are not the same tire as the BFG A/T KO, which has shoulder lugs, 3-ply sidewall and rim protector.
Posted by: cre8tor

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 07:19 AM

Maybe the Generals are inconsistent - I'd like to complain about them but I can't.

They have been excellent in the rain as well as the 2-3 inches that fell here a while back.

My choice would probably be the Dunlops though when my Gen's wear out. I have always liked Dunlop tires.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 08:46 AM

I haven't seen the new style BFGs. I've only had the older ones in the past. I didn't know there was a big change.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 09:13 AM

anyone else have experience with the uniroyal laredo m/t in rain or snow?
Posted by: seamonkey

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 07/02/02 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sean yeager:
anyone else have experience with the uniroyal laredo m/t in rain or snow?

No exp. in snow, but they are as good as any other unsiped M/T out there in the rain. In the mud traction, in my experience, they are better than the BFG m/t and under the Swamper TSL. I've never used them on an Xterra.
I've used 31's & 33's on two different trucks. I was impressed enough to buy 3 sets over time.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 11/02/02 07:45 PM

Ok yall have sold me on the Dunlop Rover RT stll looking at the BFG AT as a back up.

looking at tire rack, what is the difference in the top 2? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Dunlop&model=Radial+Rover+R%2FT

says that "C"is a load rating but no mention of a "C" in the load rating section.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 11/02/02 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:
says that "C"is a load rating but no mention of a "C" in the load rating section.

C load range is adequate for the Xterra.

Also, if you are looking for a AT type tire that caost a little less, consider the Pirreli Scorpion AT and the Yokohama Geolander AT II+. Schlud and ChuckH in the PNWX run them and like them alot. Carlton ran the Geolanders at his primary tire for a while too, so he might be able to answer some questions about them.

Of course, these are AT type tires and will not perform in the mud as well at the Dunlop Radial Rover RT's or true MT tread designs.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 11/02/02 10:57 PM

The first is Load Range C and has black letters on both sides. The second is load range SL and has white letters.
Here's Dunlop's page on the RT: http://www.dunloptire.com/products/tire.html?tire=radial_rover_rt
It has a typo in the heading for the 4th column, it should be max load for passenger car use.
Load ratings explained .

What are you doing looking at the dinky little 235s anyway? laugh Get the 31s!

Brent
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 11/02/02 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SplashMan:
Why does everyone here hate Generals? I have the General M/Ts and love them. I get better traction in all conditions than I did with my old BFG M/Ts and I have 12,000 miles on them with 12 wheeling trips thrown in and they still have 90-95% of thier tread left with no scars or anything.
I will say that I am saving up for MTRs after tax season, but if that falls through, I will definatly get Generals again when these wear out.

I dont think everyone hates Generals totally just the stock grabbers. It was decided before the general AT and MT looked like they would be a great improvement. I would just be afraid to buy them after having the grabbers.
Posted by: stormy

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 13/02/02 05:56 AM

Does anyone else think the Dunlop Rover RT's and the Goodyear MTR's tread look simmilar?

Maybe it's just me? The Dunlop tread looks a little tighter...

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: stormy ]

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 13/02/02 11:07 AM

Very very different. The RT has many more smaller tread elements, and is siped.

Brent

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 14/02/02 02:05 AM

Quote:
Very very different. The RT has many more smaller tread elements, and is siped.

Brent

is that good or bad?

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 14/02/02 06:08 AM

my Rover R/Ts should be in next week. i'll give a report as soon as they're "tested"... i am getting 265/75R16s, and they're setting me back $135 each with the works...

here's some info on siping .
Posted by: p.i.n.o.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 14/02/02 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:

C load range is adequate for the Xterra.

Also, if you are looking for a AT type tire that caost a little less, consider the Pirreli Scorpion AT and the Yokohama Geolander AT II+. Schlud and ChuckH in the PNWX run them and like them alot. Carlton ran the Geolanders at his primary tire for a while too, so he might be able to answer some questions about them.

Of course, these are AT type tires and will not perform in the mud as well at the Dunlop Radial Rover RT's or true MT tread designs.

I am running Yokohama Geolander A/T II+. I think they are an excellent tire. Their performance on pavement, especially wet pavement, is 100 times better than the stock BFG Longtrails. They work well off road but I haven't had many chance to test them to their full potential. Carlton seemed happy with his set and his opinion was one of the reasons why I went with Yokohama.

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 14/02/02 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:
is that good or bad?

Good for the most part. More/smaller elements means better wet traction and more grip in general on firm surfaces like pavement and packed dirt etc. The siping makes a world of difference on wet or wintery surfaces. The big side lugs on the RT help in mud and the like. It's a good compromise.

Brent

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 18/02/02 02:40 PM

Ok here is a dumb ? is the Dunlop radial Rover RT the same as the Rover RT?

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 18/02/02 06:18 PM

I'm referring to the Radial Rover RT. Since they don't make a non-radial version, I didn't bother to specify.

Brent
Posted by: trwinship

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 19/02/02 05:24 AM

N2fireresq, do you know if the AT/S is the same as the older Wrangler Aquatred? To me they look similar. Had the Aquatreds on my old Trooper and liked them a lot in rain, snow, and shallow mud (no heavy off-roading, though). I was considering the AT/S for my X, as well. What size did you have mounted? How have they been on dry pavement compared to your original tires? Thanks for the info!
Posted by: Desert_Eagle

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 29/03/11 10:17 AM

Hello all. I just joined the site today. I have a 09 Off Road with about 30,000 miles. It's mainly used for highway, but I do take it off road when hunting, and taking trips out to the woods. The BFG's have been ok so far, but I am looking to replace them with a on/off road tire. The tires I have been looking at are the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2. Has anyone put these on? If so I would like to hear your feedback on them.

Thanks
DE
Posted by: granitex

Re: Good tires for a good price? - 29/03/11 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Desert_Eagle
Hello all. I just joined the site today. I have a 09 Off Road with about 30,000 miles. It's mainly used for highway, but I do take it off road when hunting, and taking trips out to the woods. The BFG's have been ok so far, but I am looking to replace them with a on/off road tire. The tires I have been looking at are the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2. Has anyone put these on? If so I would like to hear your feedback on them.

Thanks
DE

What BFG do you have right now? if you have a rugged trail, or long trail the revos would be a step up. If you have the TA KO than it would be a step back IMHO.