rear leaf spring above axle?

Posted by: Anonymous

rear leaf spring above axle? - 20/06/03 11:33 PM

Hi all,
I was wondering what was involved with changing the rear leaf springs from below the axle to above?
Also, in theory wouldn't that raise the X by the axle diameter+leaf thickness?
My guess is that for the rear itself it's not much involved, but then you need to lift the front and that is most likely $$$... Please advise.
Posted by: X2K

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 12:02 AM

This may help
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 06:55 AM

There is currently no feasable way short of a radical custom job to lift the front to equal the rear.

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 12:04 PM

This will lift up 3" front and rear but the leafs are still under the axle...
xterraparts

Is it possible to put the leafs on top of axle and maybe just do the front end with this kit? Is it something that anybody has seen before? I see my neighbor with his small (but tall) toyota pickup with the leafs on top of axle, and I don't think those small pickups come stock like this...

Any help appreciated,
take care.
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 12:10 PM

What you are talking about is a spring over conversion. Right now if you were to spring over the rear of the X it would bring up the rear end at least 6 inches. Right now there is no lift available that will lift the front end 6 inches.
Posted by: Ag_xterra

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 04:18 PM

other things you will have to worry about are extending the brake line, rear diff breather hose, and more of a chance of axle wrap. you would also have to find some weld on spring perches and get your pinion angle right or you'll have vibration problems. in my opinion not worth it unless your going solid axle in the front.
Posted by: BigE515

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 04:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dirt rider:
[QB]This will lift up 3" front and rear but the leafs are still under the axle...
xterraparts

Is it possible to put the leafs on top of axle and maybe just do the front end with this kit? Is it something that anybody has seen before? I see my neighbor with his small (but tall) toyota pickup with the leafs on top of axle, and I don't think those small pickups come stock like this...

No, the Toyota's do come stock with the leafs on top of the axle. Had two of them, great trucks!
Posted by: NthLJ

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by X2K:
This may help
Help how? Smart-ass wink

Too bad they don't have a drop-bracket kit (like older Nissans), that might work for doing something like this... confused

[Wave]
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 09:17 PM

Frontiers come with the spring over rear axle (unlike the Xterras spring under). You could theoreticly take the rear setup from a Frontier and install it on an X, BUT to avoid the 6"+ of lift, you will have to use the Frontier leaf springs because they are flatter.
On the frontier.. Was this done to aid in loading the pick up bed? So it doesnt sag as easily? Some stock frontiers look taller than lifted X's.
Check out the NOR board, this was already covered.
L8r

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 09:29 PM

I think you would also have to move the hangers to use the Frontier stuff.

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 21/06/03 11:18 PM

Thank very much guys, that answers my question very well ( [Wave] ). I certainly don't want to lift 6"! 3" is max for me, but with the leafs still under the axle ( mad )I'll have to think about it again...
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 22/06/03 02:41 PM

Swapping the load leaf with a Calmini or SLR add-a-leaf and installing the Darlington UB Skids will make for a much cleaner under-diff area that is less likely to catch on things.

Brent
Posted by: Booya

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 23/06/03 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Swapping the load leaf with a Calmini or SLR add-a-leaf and installing the Darlington UB Skids will make for a much cleaner under-diff area that is less likely to catch on things.

Brent
Those are pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 23/06/03 10:33 AM

Have a good drill handy (or torch) and correct sized u-bolts in addition to patience and creativity for putting those on. Black paint is also suggested [Wave]
Posted by: CheetaraX

Re: rear leaf spring above axle? - 03/07/03 06:19 PM

Want to do a spring over without lifting up 6". Here is how. 2" BL and raise the gas tank. Cut the hangers and move up 3". Make it so that the passanger side no longer has the "lip."

You will also need to reroute your exaust pipe.

Have I done this? No but I have been thinking about it for some time.

Also axle wrap may or may not be worse, which could mean fabing "taction bars"

ALAN