Theft and the GPS

Posted by: Kafka213

Theft and the GPS - 01/03/01 02:17 PM

What type of precautions can/should I take, when I live in a city and I want to purchase the Garmin III+ but I don't want it stolen. What can I do? I mean, I want to mount it on my dash, but what could I do to keep someone from breaking the glass and taking it anyway?

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Theft and the GPS - 01/03/01 02:36 PM

Put it in your glove box or take it with you.

They mount via velcro, suction cups and the like for that reason, among others - like taking the unit inside to a PC, out on a hike, etc.

Don't give anyone a reason to break into your X! Don't even leave a NICKEL on the seat.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

Re: Theft and the GPS - 01/03/01 02:54 PM

Being in the South Side of Chicago, and the fact that my friend just got everything taken out of his car, I will be very, very, careful with my X.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.
Posted by: Rumpy

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 06:37 AM

You could buy a pitbull and chain him to your X. Nothing in this world scares me more than a snarling pitbull.

------------------
Posted by: Cygnus-X1

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 07:13 AM

Definitely lock it up in the glove box, take it with you, or hide it under a mat or towel or something. I can't imagine having mine bolted to the dash. That just screams "STEAL ME!" I use little suctions that work great.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 10:14 AM

Aren't there bolt on mounts that the unit can just slip in and out of, there must be, surely.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 05:49 PM

Eric -

Check out these mounts:
http://www.tvnav.com/rammount.html

There should be something to suit your needs.

dave and Xtoy - and tvnav is a good vendor too

------------------
Posted by: InfX708

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 09:12 PM

Funny you should mention the pitbull thing. When I lived in FL, I worked for the Army veterinarian. One day he was at the beach and his Jeep got broken into - they rammed a screwdriver into the lock. Anyway, one fo the dog handlers suggested that he take one of the military working dogs - one in particular had a very bad attitude - and place it in the truck as a security device. Nothing like a furry alligator to deter even the most hard core thief.

------------------
'00 SE 4x4

Re: Theft and the GPS - 02/03/01 10:26 PM

Perfect man, thanks a lot.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: Theft and the GPS - 04/03/01 12:13 PM

Just a bit of information - GPS antennas need to see 'sky' - usually thru the windshield. The placement possible with some aftermarket mounts could reduce the sky view. An external antenna such as: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010-10052-04

mounted on the roof is a solution. The improved reception yields better location accuracy.
dave and Xtoy - in a smaller circle

------------------
Posted by: XOC

Re: Theft and the GPS - 04/03/01 10:52 PM

This will keep them away...

------------------
Regards,
Ian