Serious Systems!

Posted by: Photecs

Serious Systems! - 30/03/02 09:59 PM

I really wanna see some serious Xterra Stereo Installs. None of this "i have a small box with a speaker in it i call a sub" stuff.
If there's anyone out there who can show me some nice stuff - it would greatly be appreciated. I need to start getting some design ideas for mine in aug. When i get mine up and running (which i am personally designing) i'll post them up.....
Thanx everyone...
D
Posted by: Viper X

Re: Serious Systems! - 30/03/02 11:27 PM

http://www.audiowebwizard.com/websites/ces2002/Default.asp?ID=217

N2's

My old box:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0QQCTHLMVeJ!ctlbAd3!bUsLG1VilTClNsAy55eDXa4xdxaZ9*Ny8uRyVLVOopOMFX0PYwC0W55nK45fhsRpikLvHVPSfdxrlcEVViG8wfqA/JL-Audio-subs-2.bmp[/img]
my new box:

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 09:54 AM

Now that's what i'm talking about ... i've seen the top two - nice jobs - the bottom two are just basic "boxes". I'm curious to see people who have done thier own installs - maybe around the $3-5,000 mark.
Rockford did up a nice system, but i don't have $50,000 for a system.
I'm a JL fan anyway.
Thanks for the amazin' postings X!
Posted by: traceyragsdale

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 10:40 AM

I compete in car audio with my xterra. Feel free to go to my site http://sounddomain.com/id/justagirl. The last page has the best pictures. Sometimes the link does not work and you'll have to type it in.
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 10:49 AM

Tracey, I'd love to take a look but it seems the link doesn't work, nor does copying and pasting.

frown

I'll check back later.
Posted by: Xterradon

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 11:28 AM

The link works, you just have to take the period off the end of it.

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/justagirl

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 11:39 AM

Ya, trace... your xterra was actually one of the first ones i came across when i got interested in buying an xterra, and putting a system into it. I saw your xterra's system months ago.
I'm getting my X in Aug, but with the pick up i have now, i hit 141.6 dB with two JL 10w3's. I was really impressed by your system - thanks for lettin me know.

Any one else with systems, keep 'em comin'!
(systems - not just a sub in a square box)
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by traceyragsdale:
I compete in car audio with my xterra. Feel free to go to my site http://sounddomain.com/id/justagirl. The last page has the best pictures. Sometimes the link does not work and you'll have to type it in.
Looks like you're a good candidate for some upgraded spring packs. eek
Posted by: traceyragsdale

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 05:11 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I accidently added a period to the end!! http://sounddomain.com/id/justagirl Chuck, the guys at xterraparts.com helped me out with a new pair of leaf spring helpers, been fine ever since.
Posted by: gearhead1972

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 05:32 PM

Well I know you don't want to look at just boxes but you can see my whole system HERE I use my cargo area so a non removable sub setup was not practical plus it isn't all about bass unless your DBing :p
P.S. my system pegs my 120 DB sound meter I don't need any more than that.

Re: Serious Systems! - 31/03/02 07:00 PM

Thanks there Kev, I like your tweets and component setup. I don't plan on being a heavy competitor like Tracy, but i do like to go in maybe 2 or 3 comps a year - just for fun.

KEEP 'EM COMIN' !!!
Posted by: ManiYAK

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 11:12 AM

Who did that simple setup with the sub in the rear panels? That's what I was looking to do, but never brought it to fruition cuz I kept getting "not recommended" ever where I turned!
Posted by: Gnostic

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 02:03 PM

I will post pictures of mine when it is done. it will contain the following:

Head Unit: Clarion DXZ925
Amplifiers: Orion XTR 800.4(100x4@4ohm)
Orion XTR 900.2(225x2@4ohm)
Speakers: Focal 165k (front)
Focal 6.5 (rear)
Kove Armageddon 15" (x2)
DVD Player: Clarion VS715
Monitor: PA 5.6" (between sun visors)

Look for us on the competition circuits next year ;-)
Posted by: p.i.n.o.

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnostic:
I will post pictures of mine when it is done. it will contain the following:

Focal 6.5 (rear)
Kove Armageddon 15" (x2)

That's some serious equipment!!
Posted by: n2

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ManiYAK:
Who did that simple setup with the sub in the rear panels? That's what I was looking to do, but never brought it to fruition cuz I kept getting "not recommended" ever where I turned!
Are you referring to mine?

It actually is not near as simple as it looks. For some build up pictures search under "My Project X build-up" smile
Posted by: MRC

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 03:28 PM

Here is my system.
http://mrxterra.4wdriver.com/photo2.html

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lil_pino:
Quote:
[b]I will post pictures of mine when it is done. it will contain the following:

Focal 6.5 (rear)
Kove Armageddon 15" (x2)

That's some serious equipment!![/b]
What can I say lil_pino? I am a nut. I didnt even list the playstation 2 ;-) (may change to xbox if I can add some shock absorbance for the HDD), Xbox for obvious "X-ness" of it.
Posted by: ManiYAK

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 09:11 PM

damn...nice work n2. I think I might do something a little simpler...

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 10:07 PM

That's nice MRC! I like the box setup. Big enough, yet good for some cargo.
I like the JL/Eclipse combo - nice equip. That's somewhere around the mark i wanna be... what dB do you hit with that? Or have you never had it measured?

Thanx
D
Posted by: The X Factor

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/04/02 10:45 PM

Hell, MRC what did the box, subs, amps, and cap run you if you don mind me asking.

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/04/02 07:55 AM

Photecs, I never got it tested but it should be up in the 150-155 range, its pretty damn loud.

The X Factor the box, amps, suds and cap ran me a little over 3,000.

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/04/02 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MRC:
Photecs, I never got it tested but it should be up in the 150-155 range, its pretty damn loud.

The X Factor the box, amps, suds and cap ran me a little over 3,000.
I'm sorry but 150 - 155 is not likely. I would guess in the low 140's.

BTW: 140dB is very loud.

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/04/02 08:52 PM

Hey there N2, i doubt it would be the low 140 bro, with 2 JL10W3's i hit 141.6 dB with 500 watts RMS powering them.
Those eclipses may be a little underpowered for maximun SPL, but they would hit at least in the upper 140's.
With a little more juice - they'd hit the 150's no prob.
(500/1 JL is my top chioce - nice pick)
I've seen a 156.7 dB hit with a single JL 15W3 with the right wattage. Anythings possible with good equip.

Re: Serious Systems! - 03/04/02 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Photecs:
Hey there N2, i doubt it would be the low 140 bro, with 2 JL10W3's i hit 141.6 dB with 500 watts RMS powering them.
Those eclipses may be a little underpowered for maximun SPL, but they would hit at least in the upper 140's.
With a little more juice - they'd hit the 150's no prob.
(500/1 JL is my top chioce - nice pick)
I've seen a 156.7 dB hit with a single JL 15W3 with the right wattage. Anythings possible with good equip.
I am estimating that the system would hit 143 - 144 db. If it does more, than great smile It is a sealed enclosure so it most likely has a relatively smooth response as opposed to a large ported SPL type enclosure that is tuned to hit the frequency of the standing wave of the vehicle. It also depends on what meter we are talking about. Term pro, Audio Control, B&K etc...
Posted by: bronx

Re: Serious Systems! - 21/04/02 10:47 PM

Y2K Clean
Posted by: Tom G

Re: Serious Systems! - 22/04/02 09:28 AM

MRC - do you have a lift on that rig? maybe it's just the removed step rails that make it look higher up.

Re: Serious Systems! - 22/04/02 09:47 AM

I have Calmini's 3 inch suspension with 285 75 16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTX tires
Posted by: King Kobra

Re: Serious Systems! - 22/04/02 11:25 AM

hey mrc, where do the controllers come out of, where are the wires run? do they just go under the front seats, & under the rear?
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Serious Systems! - 22/04/02 12:26 PM

Damn, you guys (and gals) are sick! I thought I was doing a swell job in the Bug with the system I built, but these are seriously nice!

I haven't done the X yet, but that'll be a nice project one day...

In the Bug I have the following, all in hand-built enclosures, install, etc. Sorry I don't have all the components specifics, I'd have to look them up... They're a bit dated, anyway - but it totally kicks ass for my needs.

- Blaupunkt cassette head unit
- Philips portable CD player
- FM signal booster
- 400w 4-channel amp with 2-channels bridged for sub
- Component/matched tweets, mids and woofs on both left/right sides in rear
- Coaxials in kicker panels on both left/right sides in front
- Single 15" sub strapped to roll cage

...I forgot how I powered the fronts, offhand. They're mostly for fill anyway down in the kicker panels, so I think I might be going through a 150w amp.

(Yeah, it's down in the garage, and it's been a while, heh)

Re: Serious Systems! - 22/04/02 03:44 PM

I just ran the wires under the seats
Posted by: xxxtera

Re: Serious Systems! - 23/04/02 04:12 PM

heres my amp and sub install
system consists of:
kenwood excelon x811
kenwood eq kgc7043
rockford fosgate 600a5 5 channel amp
rockford fnq 6.75" components
3 JL 10w6"s
it hit 143db first time out, dont think its to bad for my first install
heres a couple of pics,
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292440053

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 02:22 PM

Below is a link to my install in progress. Feel free to comment or make suggestions :-)

SQ-X

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 07:46 PM

Quote:
Below is a link to my install in progress. Feel free to comment or make suggestions :-)

SQ-X
Which one's yours? Your link pulls up the vehicle lookup page on sounddomain.

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 08:09 PM

dagnabbit, must... layoff... crack...

truly I have fixed in the previous post. Plus it is here:
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/jawest12

sorry:-/

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 08:45 PM

Quote:

Nice system you have there! How is your imaging now that you have your tweeters mounted near the A pillar?

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 08:53 PM

Thank you. Hopefully I can finish the thing soon. Still have alot to do. The imaging was much imporved by putting the tweeters up there. But I still need to experiment with overall imaging/staging. My HU has time alignment builtin which I also need to take advantage of.

Still have LOTS of vinyl to use. Although I will say the X is quite an enjoyable install vehicle.

Re: Serious Systems! - 01/05/02 09:23 PM

Keep up the good work. It took a couple of months before my system was to a point where it was considered "finished." A couple more questions for ya, if you don't mind.

How do you like your lcd screen? Around how much did it cost you? Are you able to see out your rear view mirror with the screen down? From your picture, it looks like the screen interferes with your mirror.

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/05/02 06:03 AM

The LCD screen is nice to have. However, I am looking at getting a bigger one. Additionally the one I have is not as good with off-axis viewing. It does work great for backseat passengers. (I have two young children, hence the DVD and screen, keeps 'em occupied on long trips.)

It does get in the way of the rear view mirror. This does not bother me, but there are options. You can get rear view cameras that hook into your video system to display what is behind you on the monitor. I am planning on also getting monitors for the back of the head rests so that I do not have to have the front one down all the time.

The cost was relatively low for me, as I am the co-owner of a small (emphasis small) car audio business. Has saved me a whole lot of money on the equipment I have. Still not cheap, but alot better.
Posted by: sdx

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/05/02 06:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Orginally from his webpage: Conatins pictures of various equipment installed in my ex. "
Burn him at the stake, ex..... how did she feel about this??? [Finger] laugh

ok, now that i'm done razzing ya, nice setup. Does the Peel 'n seal work? I have never had any luck with the deadening.

anyway, very nice setup! laugh

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/05/02 10:50 AM

Quote:
The LCD screen is nice to have. However, I am looking at getting a bigger one. Additionally the one I have is not as good with off-axis viewing. It does work great for backseat passengers. (I have two young children, hence the DVD and screen, keeps 'em occupied on long trips.)

It does get in the way of the rear view mirror. This does not bother me, but there are options. You can get rear view cameras that hook into your video system to display what is behind you on the monitor. I am planning on also getting monitors for the back of the head rests so that I do not have to have the front one down all the time.

The cost was relatively low for me, as I am the co-owner of a small (emphasis small) car audio business. Has saved me a whole lot of money on the equipment I have. Still not cheap, but alot better.
Thanks for the info. That is what I'm planning to do. I'd like to get a 7" wide monitor and have a camera in the back so I can use that screen as a rear view mirror. I'm also planning on putting screens in the headrests. I have a connection with a wholesaler so the equipment won't cost me much. Do you have any recommendations on an in dash dvd player?

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/05/02 04:51 PM

Quote:
Orginally from his webpage: Conatins pictures of various equipment installed in my ex. "
Burn him at the stake, ex..... how did she feel about this??? [Finger] laugh

Hehe, well my EX wife is whole different story, hehe. Guess I need to correct that;-)

Peel-n-Seal worked very well for me. Smells for a few days, but it is bearable. Certainly much cheaper than dynamat. Of course I have used raamat in the past and been pleased with it also.

Sealing off the two sides of the doors GREATLY improved the performance of the midranges.

Almost forgot, thank you for the compliment on the system.

Re: Serious Systems! - 02/05/02 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That is what I'm planning to do. I'd like to get a 7" wide monitor and have a camera in the back so I can use that screen as a rear view mirror. I'm also planning on putting screens in the headrests. I have a connection with a wholesaler so the equipment won't cost me much. Do you have any recommendations on an in dash dvd player?
Hmm, there are several good options for in dash DVD player, depending on what you want. There are some great new head units out by Alpine and Clarion that have DVD built-in. Of course they arent cheap.

The best add-on dvd player I have used so far is the Clarion VS715. It has optical and RCA outputs, as well as an AUX input (passes through whenever the DVD player is not on). It has an easy to use remote. It will play MP3's as well. It can be found online for as low as $370, which is not bad IMHO for in dash. It's also 4 volt on its about. Clarion also has a nicer one with the Dolby Digital decoding built-in. Don't get me wrong I am not a Clarion junky. Matter of fact I usually lean towards Alpine, but the latest models of Clarion have turned out quite nicely.