XPuter Installation Stage 1

Posted by: OKC-X

XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:33 AM

Stage 1 of my Xputer Installation this weekend. Sorry about the pics not being so good. I am going to reshoot them when I clean up the wires.

XPuter Installation

OKC-X
Posted by: ecfiffer

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:37 AM

dude that looks hella hot man!!! i got one question for ya though, where did you find that overhead console with the monitior?

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:40 AM

That is a regular 7" wide LCD screen. The BookPC has RCA video out built in which plugs right into the LCD. The quality came out much better then expected.
Posted by: Bubba-X

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:42 AM

Very NICE! smile
Posted by: Viper X

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 11:18 AM

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 01:22 PM

Here are three finished pictures to give you a better idea.

OKC-X
Posted by: austinbrtndr

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 01:42 PM

OKC... that looks really good! I'm fixing to need a setup like that in my X and I was wondering where you got the equip from and avg cost on the parts... I was actually thinking about adding a larger screen, though... but that looks great... I hadn't even thought about putting the cpu under the seat!!!
Posted by: Claus

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 02:30 PM

Have you taken the "Shake factor into consideration?. I must say I am impressed. Now you only need a cheap GPS then you are rocking!
Posted by: superjens

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 03:19 PM

May I suggest a smaller computer? LittlePC

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:15 PM

Superjens,
I did my whole project(including wireless lan,usb tv tuner and gps)for under what just one of those littlePC's cost by itself. They are nice though. Maybe next time around... [Smoking]
Posted by: Bobby_X

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:27 PM

Hey! That is a sharp setup!

A few questions..

1. Did you replace the old overhead lights with this unit?

2. May you get a closeup pic (like super closeup) of the quality of the screen showing the text from the RCA output?

3. Any idea if a touchscreen version is available? smile

Thank you, and nice job, looks great man!
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 24/03/03 08:58 PM

Way Freakin' Cool!! I want one, too bad I'm broke, jobless, and too stupid to know how to do a setup like that.

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 25/03/03 07:37 AM

Bobby_X,

Thanks and to answer your questions:

1. My Xterra is an XE model so it didnt have an overhead light where the monitor went. I had to cut a hole.

2. If you check my original link, I added some closeups of the text for you.

3. I know that 7" wide touchscreen overlays are available although I dont know pricing for such.

I got a lot of my ideas for the XPuter from the site www.mp3car.com You might check it out.

OKC-X
Posted by: Johnny X

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 26/03/03 06:54 PM

How does internet access work for these self instaled computers? Is there a way to get wireless access besides being parked in my drive way?
Posted by: greatgoogamooga

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 26/03/03 09:40 PM

My cell phone provider has some PC cards that you can use with their system. 20 to 30kbps typical, 56kbps at best.

http://www.t-mobile.com/products/product_list.asp?class=data
Posted by: Maximum

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 03/04/03 09:25 PM

Sounds sweet. Another sugestion for a smaller system would be to use a home built computer featuring a Via EPIA motherboard. They are only 17cm square and can be fanless. Check out this site, Mini-ITX , for reviews and projects. This place has a good 12 volt power supply that will plug right into the MB. Just a suggestion.
Posted by: superjens

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 03/04/03 10:30 PM

Quote:
Superjens,
I did my whole project(including wireless lan,usb tv tuner and gps)for under what just one of those littlePC's cost by itself. They are nice though.
They are eh? I know, very cool little things. Just yesterday I set up a new Compaq 1U server, like two extra large pizza boxes laid end to end ... way too big. Gimme a roomful of those little ones.
Posted by: xterran01

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 03/07/03 02:16 PM

I just got through building out my ITX PC - it measures 5.7" x 6.7" X 1.2" with the power supply plugged in. I'm using a 2.5" 20 GB hard drive and a slim DVD-ROM. The DC to DC converter (power supply) has the proper power connectors for both units. Instead of using a store-bought case, I'm going to build the computer into the custom overhead console I've just designed and installed, with a GPS receiver and audio out to the in-dash stereo for MP3s and DVD sound. My last to-buy item is the display. I'm getting a Xenarc 7" (800 x 480) VGA monitor which will be mounted to the outside of the OH console center module. I have the whole shebang on AutoCAD, if anybody is interested in doing something similar.

The PC was a piece of cake to build and even tho 800MHz is not fast compared to regular home PCs, it is plenty for an in-car application. Also, if anybody has any info on other types of software that might be useful on a car PC I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 03/07/03 02:35 PM

I installed one of those LittlePCs in our HAZMAT truck. They are sweet. The only problem that I've had with them is if you are running the computer off the battery and they start the engine. The computer really hates that and has to be power cycled.

-Mike
Posted by: xterran01

Re: XPuter Installation Stage 1 - 09/07/03 11:46 AM

From Combat Medic:

Is this with a DC-to-DC power supply, or a standard 115V power supply run from an inverter?