Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor

Posted by: Solar

Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor - 22/10/03 12:25 PM

Has anyone spliced extra wire to the existing wiring for the air temp sensor (air intake)? I would like to bring it closer to the air inlet but the wires are just too short. I just want to make sure there would be no problems like possibly changing the resistance (due to added wire) thus getting wrong temp readings and screwing up the fuel mixture.
Thanks
Posted by: ElectroKen

Re: Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor - 22/10/03 12:40 PM

The resistance of the additional wire will be insignificant compared to the resistance of the sensor itself. Go for it.
Posted by: Sean

Re: Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor - 22/10/03 02:06 PM

I was able to move mine to the inner fender well, just in front of the intake, without any splicing. I'd post a picture, but Grovestreet.com isn't working today.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor - 23/10/03 06:51 AM

Can anyone explain the purpose of this? Seems that Nissan would have calibrated the sensor based on its location and such...
Posted by: Solar

Re: Lengthening the wires on the air temp sensor - 23/10/03 12:36 PM

1) Purpose: the wiring on my 02 is barelly long enough to install it in the original location never the less anything close to my K&N

2) Calibration: I am sure Nissan claibrated it to be used with the original air box system which seems that most of us have done away with.