Brake lights wont turn off

Posted by: Slownis

Brake lights wont turn off - 23/06/09 07:53 PM

Subject says it all. I had to disconnect the battery to get them to turn off. I jiggled the pedal, messed with the bleeper, tried this and that, but no luck. Any ideas?
Posted by: XOC

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 23/06/09 08:00 PM

My first guess would be a sticking switch at the brake petal

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 24/06/09 05:24 AM

Yeah, I found the wiring diagram. Looks like the switch on the pedal is the only thing that could cause all of the brake lights to stay on like that. Sucks. I'd rather take apart an engine then crawl up under the dash like that.
Posted by: Adam

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 24/06/09 06:25 AM

in the 1st gen Xterra, it's not that hard to get to. What year is your X?

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 24/06/09 12:43 PM

OK, I'm driveable for now. Its not as bad as I first thought, I just get a little claustrophobic now and then. I'm a pretty large guy with long arms and big hands, so I have a hard time cramming them into small places sometimes.

Good news is I figured out why my cruise control quit working a few months back. There are two rubber stoppers on the brake pedal that release two switches under the dash whenever you put your foot on the the brake. One is for the brake lights, and the other is for the cruise control. Both of the rubber stoppers on mine were cracked and had fallen out. I found the remnants of one of them on the floorboard.

Its part number 46512 on this pic and there are two of them, like I said.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra-parts-wd22-2000-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/brake/465-brake-clutch-pedal/-c-532_14_76_443.html

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 24/06/09 12:45 PM

This is on a year 2000 model 1st gen Xterra by the way.

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 24/06/09 12:52 PM

Also, (for future reference) if you need to know which switch controls what, the switch for the brake pedal is the one with the Red/Black wire and the Brown/Red wire. The other one is for cruise. The switch wasn't the problem in my case. I was able to temporarily fix my problem by using a short bolt with a wide head on the one for the brake pedal. I ordered the two rubber stoppers at about 9 bucks a piece from my local dealer and I'll put them in as soon as they get here.
Posted by: susylia

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 31/07/15 04:15 PM

This was a helpful post, the broken rubber stopper was in the floor mat. Thank you very much!
Posted by: susylia

Re: Brake lights wont turn off - 08/08/15 04:10 PM

Now our problem is getting the rubber stop in there! =|