Window switch problem

Posted by: e207

Window switch problem - 19/07/09 06:25 PM

I searched, and didnt find, so here I go....

My rear window stopped goin up. It will go down, with both the rear and master switch, but neither will send it up again. I've confirmed that the motor will work, by hooking directly to the batt, and it worked fine up and down that way.
Hooking a multi meter up shows that both front and rear switches appear to be sending power to the motor.
It has me very confused, I am thinking of going to the junkyard and trying to find some switches to try and swap out to see if it makes a difference. other than that, I dont know what I can do to either test and confirm a bad switch or whatever.
From what I've looked at online, it looks like the switches are the same from 2000 to 2004. can anyone confirm this?
Posted by: Gonzo-2

Re: Window switch problem - 20/07/09 01:25 PM

How about a really simple fix? Have you ever tried spray silicone in the window tracks? Mine ('03) has had this issue off/on since I got it. So has many others. This will *USUALLY* fix this problem.

One word of advice though. Don't keep putting the window that's giving you problems up/down until you at least try this. Too much hard work on that regulator (that we already know could be better) will break it and you'll then be stuck with replacing that. Using spray silicone in the tracks from time to time will all but eliminate the need to replace the regulators. I've never had to...yet (knock on wood!).

-G
Posted by: e207

Re: Window switch problem - 20/07/09 06:58 PM

yeah, wasnt that kind of problem, I have already addressed the slowmotion window probs.

I wired the switches backwards to the motor from the switch, with "jumper wires" and it worked then going up but not down.
made the trip to the junk yard today, and pulled some switches out of a maxima and altima. got one to work, works fine from the rear driverside door, but works backwards from the drivers switch. So, ended up being a bad switch in the rear door. after taking a junk one apart from the junkyard, looks like I might be able to pop the stock switch apart and make sure its making the connections right. Other wise, I got no problem with one switch being backwards for the cost of 6 bucks.
Posted by: G-Man

Re: Window switch problem - 18/08/10 10:42 PM

I bought this switch module and it works well:

http://www.switchdoctor.net/products/Nissan_Xterra_2000_2004_Window_Master_Control_Switch-133-0.html
Posted by: AnthonyS

Re: Window switch problem - 12/06/11 09:52 AM

I love this forum!!! Everyone has great suggestions. When I have a moment to pull the panel off, I will silicone the tracks first. The driver window DOES in fact go up and down. It just has a problem closing.

But this morning was the first time I have experienced this problem. I've only had my '02X for a week now. It went up and down just fine all week.

Last night it rained. I'm not sure if the window stripping at the base of the window is causing resistance, if the tracks need greasing or the switch is now going bad.