2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out

Posted by: macsnjets

2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 31/07/10 03:43 PM

I know I've seen this before on the boards but can't find it. On my 2001 xterra the instrument cluster goes crazy when its hot out. The odometer disappears and the gages go to zero or read high. Then the truck starts to buck and won't go over 52mph. once it gets cool enough inside, everything returns to normal. I've previously read that this is caused by a faulty circut card in the instrument cluster. Does anybody have the partnumber of the faulty board and can I replace this myself ?
Thanks
Posted by: _Craic_

Re: 2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 31/07/10 07:34 PM

heard this before. has something to do with some sensor that goes to the transfer case. I'd dig up the old thread but.............. Steel X whatcha got?
Posted by: macsnjets

Re: 2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 04/08/10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: _Craic_
but.............. Steel X whatcha got?

Huh ? you mean which Xterra ? 2001 SE v6 Auto.
Posted by: mrwhizard

Re: 2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 02/02/12 08:27 AM

We have a permanent fix for this problem. Visit Mr. Whizard Technical Services $10 discount for xterraownersclub members
Posted by: LGold

Re: 2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 01/07/13 10:30 AM

The same exact thing is happening to me now! No mechanic has been able to find the problem, did you ever figure out the party and/how to replace it??
Posted by: Gonzo-2

Re: 2001 Instrument cluster failure when hot out - 01/07/13 07:03 PM

Don't know if it will help, but I recall this being discussed a long time ago. As Craic mentioned, it had something to do with a sensor and forced the computer to go into "safe" mode. the speed limit is what brought it back for me.

But this is all from memory. Results will vary... wink