Front dome lights do not work with door?

Posted by: the13bats

Front dome lights do not work with door? - 16/05/13 01:10 AM

Okay, this one is odd to me, I am guessing it's not some weird rare "me only" problem but something other Xterras have in common,
So here goes,

When we got the thing about a year ago all the dome lights worked with the doors,
Now the front only stopped working with any door, the doors still work the other dome lights,
The fronts will still work when you put the switch to "on" just not with the door and I didn't know how much I used them until they stopped working with the door about 2 months ago.

So any of you Xterra savvy blokes have any clues that will shine some light ( pun intended ) on my issue.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Front dome lights do not work with door? - 17/05/13 01:40 PM

The wee plunger switches can get bent/broken too worn, etc, and fail.

These are what the door closes on to turn the lights off, and when the door opens and takes the pressure off the switch, the lights go on.

There's a rubber boot on the switches, open it, and look at it...if its just just bent, etc, straighten it, and it might work (It will work with you manually pushing it in/out if grounded, etc.)

If it doesn't work, try jumping it to see if the dome lights respond....if they do, replace the switch.

laugh
Posted by: MMnIAC

Re: Front dome lights do not work with door? - 18/05/13 06:08 PM

This isn't as simple as the 3-way switch on the dome light being set to the always off position is it?
Posted by: TJ

Re: Front dome lights do not work with door? - 20/05/13 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: MMnIAC
This isn't as simple as the 3-way switch on the dome light being set to the always off position is it?

LOL

I hope it is, that's an easy enough fix at least. A lot of collateral ego damage, but the X will be fine.

laugh
Posted by: the13bats

Re: Front dome lights do not work with door? - 20/05/13 06:50 PM

of course the switch is in the correct postion and like i said since its just the front lights how can the door switchs be at fault as the rest of the lights works with the doors only the fronts do not....
Posted by: slantyshanty

Re: Front dome lights do not work with door? - 10/10/13 01:42 PM

I don't think mine have ever come on when the door opens? The middle and rear lights will come on IF I have the switch in the correct position. The two front map lights don't though. Can't remember them ever coming on. Ya make me want to go check now.