NON-XTERRA Headlight problem.

Posted by: e207

NON-XTERRA Headlight problem. - 04/10/13 06:19 PM

Hey guys, I got a 2001 Subaru impreza outback sport, with a driverside headlight problem, it keeps going out. wiggle it around and it works. The last three times the plastic on the socket that plugs onto the lamp itself had actually turned crumbly, as if its got a bad connection in the plug, causing it to short and burn the plastic. I've changed it out twice, and it lasts for about 8 or 9 months before doing the same thing. this time the one metal terminal on the lamp itself had come lose due to the plastic around that doing the same thing. never a problem with the passenger side one though. I've tried keeping the connection clean and dry, and also tried with dielectric on it, didnt seem to make a difference either way. dont know what could be causing it, which is why I am posting here. Thank you.
Posted by: TJ

Re: NON-XTERRA Headlight problem. - 07/10/13 04:17 PM

I think Subies are prone to socket issues....at least from what I see.

Just get a new socket, the kind that you get to upgrade the wiring harness end for higher wattage lamps, etc....~ $5-10 at PepBoys, etc....that seemed to fix it for me at least.
Posted by: e207

Re: NON-XTERRA Headlight problem. - 08/10/13 01:11 PM

hmm, never thought about going to a higher wattage plug, that sounds like it might work out, thank you!