The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!

Posted by: ned946

The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 07:48 PM

I wasn't told to keep hush, hush, so I think its okay.

Ned, I hope this works for you. More detail to follow on the site. Steve
Kramer, CALMINI.
http://www.purenissan.com/swing_away_rear_bumper.htm

------------------
Posted by: rjm022

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:20 PM

class two receiver! that will keep me away!

------------------
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:22 PM

It's made more for four wheeling then it is for pulling your boat! Buy a class III hitch if that is what you need. Looks like a good full coverage design!

------------------
Solar Yellow 2001 XE
3 pack, 5 spd,
PNWX member
Posted by: Mosi

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:29 PM

I really like it!.. time to save more pennies!

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB Bullbar & air locker, 32" BFG Mud Terrains
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:41 PM

I wonder if they can do one with out the hitch. Time to save some more money.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42
"Yes its true more vinyl decals more horsepower"
Posted by: XOC

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
I wonder if they can do one with out the hitch.

Why ? Think of it as a bonus. If you don't need it, don't use it. It doesn't get in the way.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 08:49 PM

so basically i will have 2 hitches. i guess it could be a bonus pull 2 things at once.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
so basically i will have 2 hitches. i guess it could be a bonus pull 2 things at once.

Why would you bother to increase you departure angle by relocating the tire and leave the hitch to drag????

------------------
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 09:35 PM

Anyone know what a class 2 receiver is rated to tow?

------------------
Member MAXC, NEXTerra
http://www.xtremexterra.com
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:

Why would you bother to increase you departure angle by relocating the tire and leave the hitch to drag????

My answer would be to tow something!!

Also, the hitch can most likely take more abuse than the spare tire.

------------------
Member MAXC, NEXTerra
http://www.xtremexterra.com
Posted by: Snoopy

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:38 PM

Anyone else think it's a bit ugly?
I've been waiting for a rear tire carrier solution ever since I saw my first Xterra but this seems to come a bit short of my expectations. Is there any way to keep the factory plastic pieces on the ends of the bumper (like KMA design). Would this knock the price down a bit? For me the solution is in Calmini craftmanship with the KMA design (using the exsisting plastic bumper ends).

------------------
Snoopy , our '00 Cloud White SE, 4x4, 5SP
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
Anyone know what a class 2 receiver is rated to tow?
According to their description the class 2 is rated at 3,000 lbs.

------------------
My wife calls it the "Intrepid Bee", I call it "Tonka".
craigs-tonka@home.com
www.azxterraclub.com
Posted by: SpartanWing

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:46 PM

Where's the license plate go?

Just wondering.

------------------
Mark
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
[BAccording to their description the class 2 is rated at 3,000 lbs.
[/B]

That's a little less than an X... no good in my book.

------------------
blah!
Posted by: livinx

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:57 PM

Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail. I like the idea of a full plate steel bumper on both the front and back. It looks good IMO and provides a much higher level of protection. I'm already saving my pennies for both the Calmini front and rear bumpers.

------------------
2000 Silver XE V6 4WD 5spd 3pak
"Sleep those little slices of death, how I loath them"
http://home.earthlink.net/~livinx
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 10:59 PM

OK, I already explained in detail the shortfalls of this highly anticipated bumper on the other boards, but basically, I would be weary of using a bumper rated to only tow 3000 lbs as a recovery point for a truck that weighs well over 4000 lbs whenm loaded! It looks pretty, but I'm a bit let down on the wimpy factor and would wait to see what Skid Row will offer. I suspect the Skid Row bumper will have the nice finish work of the Calmini and the strength of the KMA.

I'm also really disappointed that Calmini didn't make the corner pieces replaceable or use the existing plastic pieces. One tree or rock mishap and it has to be repaired or the whole bumper replaced!

I offer my comments because I have spent the past year designing rear bumpers, talking to people, and, uh, cleaning up the mess KMA sent me. I have spent a lot of time in the tow place and can tell you all that Schlud's KMA with extended inserts and 12 bolt installation is about as strong as we will ever see. I bet Calmini is only bolting to the side of the C section of the frame using the factory bumper mounts. Before you buy, ask questions!

Rrdstarr: keep in mind that if the Calmini does indeed use the hitch attachement points on the frame (unlikely with the 3000 lb limit, but...), attaching another hitch receiver may be difficult or impossible. I'm happy that Calmini came up with something that looks nice, but after all this wait, I'm a bit disappointed in the capabilities.

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

[This message has been edited by ChuckH (edited 07-04-2001).]
Posted by: Snoopy

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by livinx:
Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail.

I like the plastic pieces. You back into something and just pop them out or replace them for the $27.21 that it costs for a new on at www.XterraParts.com I don't imagine the Calmini bumper would fair the same kind of cheap replacement costs...

------------------
Snoopy , our '00 Cloud White SE, 4x4, 5SP
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 03/07/01 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by livinx:
Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail. I like the idea of a full plate steel bumper on both the front and back. It looks good IMO and provides a much higher level of protection. I'm already saving my pennies for both the Calmini front and rear bumpers.

Yeah, but just imagine if you back into a rock on the corner pieces. With the Calmini, the steel would bend and probably dent the bodywork underneath. Then, you'd have to have the bodywork fixed and fis or replace the whole Calmini bumper. In contrast, a mishap with the platic piece results in a bashed plastic piece that costs $30 or so and pops on in the matter of a few minutes!

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red
Posted by: livinx

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 01:39 AM

I could be wrong, but my understandong is this bumper is made of 3/16" plate steel. You would have to bump into a hell of a rock in order to bend it. I think the same sort of collision with the plastic piece would not only trash the plastic, but also damage the body. But hey each to his own. If everbody did the same thing to their X's it would be pretty boring.

------------------
2000 Silver XE V6 4WD 5spd 3pak
"Sleep those little slices of death, how I loath them"
http://home.earthlink.net/~livinx

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I would be weary of using a bumper rated to only tow 3000 lbs as a recovery point for a truck that weighs well over 4000 lbs whenm loaded!

I'm also really disappointed that Calmini didn't make the corner pieces replaceable or use the existing plastic pieces. One tree or rock mishap and it has to be repaired or the whole bumper replaced!

A couple points here that people tend to forget. The Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.

The factory tow hook can easily handle the weight of the vehicle, and it's only attached to one side of the frame.

The reason the corner pieces were not retained, is due to the damage you can do to your body. Look underneath the plastic corners sometime. There is painted sheet metal body there, that goes all the way to the bottom. My sheet metal is bent on both sides from obstacle departure dragging.
I would much rather have 3/16" steel down there than plastic.

Steve did mention to me that the bumper will probably be 3 pieces, made up of the cross section and the corners, to aid in shipping.

As for replacing a bumper, that's asthetic. A bumper like this, or an ARB is designed to handle damage, and shouldn't be "replaced" if you back into a tree and dent it.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: Xrugger

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
A couple points here that people tend to forget. The Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.

But hitches are rated at the actual weight of the trailer or object being towed. If you use it to tow another X at 4000 pounds your exceeding the capacity of the hitch. If your using it for recovery, yeah the the X is on wheels, but they probably aren't rolling freely or they are stuck in mud and therefore there is more resistance.

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 06:45 AM

I should note that this is a prototype and the final version will ship in 3 pieces.

I think Steve is interested in our comments and requests. I think that if there are issues, he would be receptive to these comments or at least give you his view on why something was done a certain way.

------------------

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 10:31 AM

Quote:

But ned my spare tire sits in my Con Ferr Basket right now, so it dont drag. My factory hitch is the only thing that drags. The only reason i wasn the cal mini bumper is so i have exta storage room in my basket and dont have to try to kill myself taking that big ass tire down.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42
Posted by: imacsae

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 11:21 AM

In my opinion the bumper has potential. It is certainly strong but probably extremely heavy causing considerable sag in the rear. The built in hitch is very cool but why not do a class 3 receiver. The swing out carrier is great for off roading but in city driving I would like to be able to see out the rear. Also at 900 bucks it is a little steep although it is very functional. I would suggest to help those of us who have a hard time coming up with nearly a 1000 dollars at once or who don't want all the weight added to make it sectional and sell the corners and tire carrier as bolt on additions. I personally would just want the bumper and maybe the corners with the hitch for now adding the tire carrier later. If you could sell it in sections as well as in the full package I would be willing to get it.

------------------
Were in the spirit world a$$hole they can't see us.
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADERX
Posted by: Richard Krenn

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 11:59 AM

Ned, how about a description of how it is attached to the X and some pictures.

Richard

------------------
Posted by: 2kxtra

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 01:12 PM

Quote:
[BThe Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.[/B]

True enough, but what about when the X is stuck. It could take considerably greater force to get it out again.

------------------
Rob
"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien
Posted by: Chosin_Xterra

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 02:21 PM

Being one of the unlucky Xterra owners to have already had my vehicle rear ended by a tractor trailer in heavy construction traffic on a highway, I know the strength of the Xterra's front AND rear bumpers. I also know that the rear bumper crumpled (probably as designed), and the "plastic" end pieces popped off, and were used on the replacement bumper eventually installed by the body shop. The front bumper was pushed in and down by the vehicle I was pushed into by the semi(all told, replacement parts, and labor for the repairs was less than $700). I welcome the strength of the replacement bumper, but would also rather have an "option" of having just the bumper, and not the spare tire carrier. I like the look of the Xterra without the spare tire on the rear of the vehicle, and that's the way mine will stay.

------------------
Butch & Lisa
LYLAMYM
'00 BLACK SE 4x4
I'm out here fighting for your right to burn that flag

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chosin_Xterra:
I welcome the strength of the replacement bumper...

Remember, aftermarket bumpers are designed for off-road abuse. Getting in an accident on the street, with a much sturdier bumper (front or rear) will result in forces being directed to the vehicle differently.

Crumple zones are there for a reason, safety. The stock bumpers are designed to absorb energy, aftermarket bumpers are not.

Had you had aftermarket bumpers on your Xterra in your accidents, you may have wound up with much more expensive frame damage, that may be beyond repair.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: Chosin_Xterra

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 05:43 PM

You're right about the frame damage. I was impressed with the look of the bumper, as well as how sturdy it sounds to be. I'd like to get some more info when/if available about getting just the bumper without the spare tire mount, and the Class III hitch. Any possibilities for that combo from Steve at Calmini?

Butch

------------------
Butch & Lisa
LYLAMYM
'00 BLACK SE 4x4
I'm out here fighting for your right to burn that flag
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 04/07/01 07:59 PM

Ok, here is my .02 on the Calmini rear bumper.

Cons:
First off, $900 forget it.
Second, where is the license plate?
Third, the tire should be all the way on the left side, it blocks too much of the drivers view.

Pros:
I like the rap around side pieces, it will complement the ARB well.

------------------
Goliath the X
Cloud White, XE, 3-Pack
31 X 10.5 M/T * AR-767 Rims * Rock Sliderz *
MAXC Member
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 11:29 AM

Holy overkill, Batman... It's a bumper, not a tank fascia!

Glad to see more options coming down the wire, though! Bring it on!

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow
"Sleep... A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine."

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath The X:
Cons:
First off, $900 forget it.

You guys crack me up.

You'll pay $650 for an ARB, which has to be modified to fit since it's made for another vehicle, but $900 for a rear bumper, designed especially for the Xterra, with a swing out tire carrier is too much ?

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: neil

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Holy overkill, Batman... It's a bumper, not a tank fascia!

Glad to see more options coming down the wire, though! Bring it on!

exactly.

------------------
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 12:17 PM

Quote:
You guys crack me up.

You'll pay $650 for an ARB, which has to be modified to fit since it's made for another vehicle

The ARB mods, when necessary, take little time, are within the skills of 95% of the population, and don't cost a penny. Oh the agony of it all. BFD.

Brent

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
The ARB mods, when necessary, take little time, are within the skills of 95% of the population, and don't cost a penny. Oh the agony of it all. BFD.

Brent

Don't know if I'm right or not, but I was thinking (crowd growns...."again" :-)). Anyway, isn't comparing ARB and Calmini like comparing apples and oranges?
ARB has a fancy laser cutting, production line type set-up (which, by the way, I think they could whip out an Xterra specific bumper at the drop of a hat if they wanted...but I digress, back to my point).

Calmini (though I have not been to their shop yet) is more of a craftsman type set-up. You know, hand made from scratch.

You probably see where I'm going, so I'll stop. But a quality made item (especially one made really well) will cost extra. I think that you will find that any rear bumper will cost more than an ARB cuz, I guessing that they will all be hand made.

Think about most of the rock sliders. Seems like a slam dunk. Get a metal tube. Weld on some extensions with flat plates at the end and drill away. Viola, $30 sliders (Krylon paint extra). You will never see these sliders (unless you do it yourself) because, again, they are hand made.

I did a double take myself but after considering what has gone into making all the turns, angles, supports....and making it look nice... I don't think he is really going to make a killing off the Xterra bumper. How long would it take you to cut out the parts, weld, put together and finish a bumper so that it looked like it belongs on an Xterra?

(should I write commercials, or what? ;-))

------------------
Posted by: neil

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 01:33 PM

Quote:
How long would it take you to cut out the parts, weld, put together and finish a bumper so that it looked like it belongs on an Xterra?

(should I write commercials, or what? ;-))

hey, when you start charging $; the customer has the right to demand better. the customer has the right to critique the product (which only helps calmini).

if calmini cant make something alot of people like for a price they like, eventually someone else will.

if the rear bumper is going to be 3 pieces, why not show a 'basic' pkg without the side pieces and with the stock plastic bumpers back on?

personally, it looks like a homemade item to me. very coarse in execution. i don't think being 'handmade' means its better or worse. cars used to be 'handmade' but i think they are alot better now that they employ a bit of machinery, dont you?
there's alot of 'custom' junk and alot of 'machined' junk-- for a mass produced product, a machine cutting pieces is easier for quality control, so i would lean towards that for something that wasn't 'one-off'.

the front calmini bumper looks great, though. what with the intergrated winch area and 'brush guard'-- why not some of that good thinking on the back?

------------------

[This message has been edited by neil (edited 07-05-2001).]

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neil:

personally, it looks like a homemade item to me. very coarse in execution

I couldn't agree more. The best design and execution will win out hands down. A good product speaks for itelf, no selling required.

My question is could you expand on the "home made" and "coarse" comments? I'm wondering cuz when I make something....boy, you KNOW ITS HOMEMADE! I was impressed with the finish, smooth lines and clean in appearance.

------------------

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 05/07/01 07:24 PM

Quote:

Well Brent, I've installed 2 now, and both required a serious amount of drilling and grinding. Do you have cobalt drill bits handy ? I didn't. $50. You'll need a die-grinder, or a 1/2" drill too, most people don't have a die-grinder, and only a 3/8" drill.

Everyone who has posted about mounting an ARB has mentioned taking several hours to get it on. That's not what I'd call a bolt on solution.

And what do you know about it, you don't even have one.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: Synchro

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 06/07/01 11:34 AM

Quote:
ARB has a fancy laser cutting, production line type set-up (which, by the way, I think they could whip out an Xterra specific bumper at the drop of a hat if they wanted...but I digress, back to my point).

just FYI, ARBs are actually hand welded and such not in jigs, if memory serves. only the parts are laser cut. Calmini laser cuts stuff too according the info on the sliders i thought.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 07-06-2001).]
Posted by: Philosopher

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 06/07/01 11:49 AM

Quote:
Well Brent, I've installed 2 now, and both required a serious amount of drilling and grinding. Do you have cobalt drill bits handy ? I didn't. $50. You'll need a die-grinder, or a 1/2" drill too, most people don't have a die-grinder, and only a 3/8" drill.

Everyone who has posted about mounting an ARB has mentioned taking several hours to get it on. That's not what I'd call a bolt on solution.

I didn't have nearly those problems getting mine installed.

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 06/07/01 01:09 PM

Quote:
You guys crack me up.

Which "guys" are you referring to, since you've said that exact same thing on 2 different boards in response to 2 specific people?

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
Posted by: xterrabull

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 06/07/01 02:42 PM

Quote:

I got the pathy/navaro bumper & had to drill 2 new holes on each side & didn't use anything special. Just use 2-3 drill bits that increase in size so that one fat bit doesn't have to do all the work. Also, in the "rock sliders" thread you mention the imperfect fit of EOE sliders as an indication that they'r hokey compared to Calmini; I'm sure EOE doesn't mind being compared to ARB which you're essentially doing if one looks at these two threads together....

------------------

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 06/07/01 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
just FYI, ARBs are actually hand welded and such not in jigs, if memory serves. only the parts are laser cut. Calmini laser cuts stuff too according the info on the sliders i thought.

Your correct. I spoke with Steve and he does do that stuff. I was thinking out loud and I stand corrected. Thanks.

------------------
Posted by: Matt Peckham

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 05:05 AM

OK guys, put your guns away... I have some more info on the Rear Bumper, we are talking about the Calmini rear bumper aren't we?

-------------

I talked with Steve at Calmini, and got a bit more on the rear bumper.

They are thinking of making several versions of the bumper, one that is similar, I guess, to the KMA, one that is similar to the one shown on the site, but made from three pieces (for shipping's sake) and possibly a 3rd version.

You will be happy to know that the Class II tow point is a 1/4" walled reinforced 2" reciever hitch, as one would expect. It is rated at 3000 pounds mainly because of liability, as the 5 speed owners are only rated to 3500#s, but also because a jacked up Xterra, say, with 4" of lift, even with a 7" lowering hitch, towing a poorly balanced load, can cause problems to vehicle handling. It's a safety concern for handling, not for dead pull strength. I am not sure if he said anything about the strength of the tow point for recovery, I imagine it's at minimum double to triple the rating for TOWING. Just because the bumper can handle the weight, doesn't mean the Xterra can pull it.

The rear recovery points are there, and they are made of 1/4" steel, plenty of strength for pulling and shackle attachment. They are also, I believe the point where the side pieces mount to the center bumper point, I imagine this makes the bumper setup a great deal stronger when it comes to lengthwise twisting.

The side pieces are bent to fit around the body inner structure, so the bend at the bottom has to be there to protect the truck's guts, and also reduces the departure angle from the sides. They also mount to the frame somewhere in addition to the mount for the center of the bumper, which mounts to the frame where the KMA does, adding to the strength of the outer corners. Steven said you should be able to drop the Xterra on them without damage when rockcrawling, something he intends to prove at GOX II, I think...

The swing arm is hinged from the passenger side, mainly because it allows quick access for the driver, as it swings one handed from the driver side. The accessory bar, mounted on the driver side, will accept a Hi Lift, or the stock license pplate lighting and mount, or a Jerry can holder from an external company, not sure what company... The tire carrier is set farther to the passenger side, and allows for depth adjustment, allowing for various sizes of tires and wheels, which can have various depths. I also asked about possibly moving it to the center more, allowing for better visibility to the passenger rear, he took note, and noted that the stress is diminished the closer the tire is to the hinge. This, of course, is obvious... The locking mechanism has a Delrin sleeve at the base of the swingarm, that rests on the bumper, preventing rattling and vibration. the locking mechanism also has a locking spring actuated bolt, but we didn't talk about that much...

Think that's about it. He has had some very positive responses to the initial postings, and if you have any concerns or questions, do as I did, and call him. He'll be glad to talk with you. Doubt he'll be posting to any of the boards, as they are a busy shop, think they have 500 part numbers for Suzuki products alone, and he said he is spending the next 2 years expressly on Nissan parts. 22 years of experience, and the main guy, Steven, owns an Xterra. I think we are in luck!

Matt

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

and what did you do today?
Posted by: Schludwiller

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 06:18 AM

Quote:

I've installed 3 ARB's now. The last one we put on while the guy was in his house ordering a pizza. You should have seen his face when he came out and it was already on his truck.

Nissans inconsistent manufacturing tolerances (at least with the frame/bumper)have more to do with how long it takes to get an ARB on.

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

Join the Xterra Offroad Webring
Posted by: Griffin2020

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 06:59 AM

What about an option for putting the hinge on the driver's side, and mounting the tire closer to that hinge. It would seem that there would be greater rearward visibility in that case.

------------------
Pains heal,
Chicks dig scars,
and glory lasts forever
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:

Nissans inconsistent manufacturing tolerances (at least with the frame/bumper)have more to do with how long it takes to get an ARB on.

Amen on that! The variation between holes on the frames I have seen has been up to a 1/2" which is just poor quality control. I had a Frontier in my shop the other day that the middle set of frame holes for sliders were not even threaded, I have seen Frontiers with threaded center holes and it does not follow a pattern such as later built ones do or do not have threaded holes consistently. Nissan needs to tighten up their QC process and start making the trucks more consistent with one another.

------------------
FSRBIKER
Extreme Offroad Equipment
www.Extreme4X4Parts.com

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
I've installed 3 ARB's now. The last one we put on while the guy was in his house ordering a pizza. You should have seen his face when he came out and it was already on his truck.

Exactly right. Mine took about 25-30 minutes to install after putting the winch in it and grinding one hole on it.

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
Posted by: Sc00ter

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 17/07/01 10:52 PM

1 hour by myself, including the winch. The only reason it took me so long was that I kept getting hip craps while leg pressing the ARB/Winch in the air to mount it.(funny visual only other ARB owners know about)

I couldn't be happier.

scoot

------------------
Posted by: xterrabull

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 18/07/01 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sc00ter:
1 hour by myself, including the winch. The only reason it took me so long was that I kept getting hip craps...

Gotta hate those hip craps!

------------------
Posted by: Sc00ter

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 18/07/01 04:51 PM

Hehe. Yep. A hip crap is VERY painful. Stinky too.

scoot

------------------

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 19/07/01 05:04 AM

I thought that was another name for a colostomy bag?

Brent

[This message has been edited by OffroadX (edited 07-19-2001).]
Posted by: SEXterra

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 19/07/01 07:22 AM

Yeah...
I just got back form Vegas and I kept hitting the "Hip Craps" throwing dice... out $200

There goes my rear bumper for a few months... Luckily there's not one available that I'm really interested in... Skid-Row where are you?

------------------
kennedyusmc@earthlink.net
"Bring me the donut Mojo"
Posted by: Matt Peckham

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 19/07/01 06:53 PM

why is everyone hoping that Skid Row is going to make the be all end all of bumpers? they don't even make bumpers. Just skid plates for a few vehicles.

Yes, the skid plates for the Xterra are good (I've heard) but it takes a lot more to make a cosmetic AND structural item like a bumper. It should be interesting, I just wouldn't count my cards right now is all.

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

and what did you do today?

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 20/07/01 04:57 AM

Um, Skid Row made a rear bumper for Pikachu, and has re-built one or two KMA bumpers so far, and I believe they are planning to produce more.

Brent

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 20/07/01 08:21 AM

Quote:
I believe they are planning to produce more.

Brent

Isn't that a HUGE assumption? I believe that NOTHING has been announced from Skid Row. It seems as if the idea has not even made it past the "kick around" stage yet.

------------------

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 20/07/01 08:52 AM

Yes, it is. I'm sure someone who has worked with them directly will come along shortly and clear things up.

Brent
Posted by: Whistler!

Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking! - 20/07/01 03:47 PM

I just spoke with Calmini yesterday regarding the new rear bumper...

First of all...That betal bumper is not in production yet...It's only a prototype.

Calmini informed me they will be manufacturing 3 different metal replacement bumpers for the X...

1- Full 1 peice wrap around metal bumper
2- Full 3 peice wrap around metal bumper
3- Full 1 peice Center piece metal bumper

Anyway, they all should be available around the middle of September 2001.

Good Luck

------------------
Andy
PNWX-Member