New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack

Posted by: XOC

New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 12:19 AM

This is a new product in development for the Xterra. It is manufactured by Raingler here in Colorado.

This is a prototype but the final product would be very similar. The only changes would be to the mounting mechanism. The webbing is 2", and it can support anything the Xterra rack is capable of supporting. Pricing should be under $100.

Would you be interested in this product ?

There will also be an interior soft rack (smaller webbing) that will mount to the ceiling hooks. More info on that later.
Posted by: n2fireresq

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 07:08 AM

i wish it was ready now - i would like to have it for several reasons - any idea when it will be out?
Posted by: XCETRA

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 07:18 AM

I would definitely be interested and I would really like to see that interior one.
Posted by: surfingteacher

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 08:35 AM

Any idea on price rnge yet? What about colors for those who are intereste. My X is White, so I would just want the black, but I coulc see others wanting yellow or other colors
Posted by: kirby34

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 08:38 AM

Since I don't have lights attached to the rack I use and therefore could easily part with it, I wouldn't mind going with this product.

jeff
Posted by: oleblue

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 08:50 AM

So I can put a spare tire on it? This is one rack I could put on and still get into the garage!
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:07 AM

"You may not view the results of this poll without voting."

BTW, you can view the results without voting...
laugh
Posted by: Xterrian

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:33 AM

Let me know when the non metal ring version comes out.
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 10:00 AM

It seems kind of... Dumb. :rolleyes:

The interior one sounds like something I'd be interested in, though. That would be very cool - kind of like the "toolrack mod" (Sgt. Lobo?) with shelving I'm thinking.

And just think - add window nets and you'll have that Mad Max look in no time! smile
Posted by: nimbus 2001

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:23 PM

I'd definately be interested due to low garage clearance. I have some dry bags that I could toss on top of the webbing and strap or cargo net down. $100 also kills a Loadwarrior or any other basket out on the market right now. What is the load capacity? What would the length be (How far can you spread the crossbars)?
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:26 PM

No interest in the one up top since I have a safari rack, but I'd be interested in hearing more about the interior one. Keep us posted.
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
[QB]It seems kind of... Dumb. :rolleyes:

The interior one sounds like something I'd be interested in, though. That would be very cool - kind of like the "toolrack mod" (Sgt. Lobo?) with shelving I'm thinking.
QB]
I have to agree...the only purpose I can think of using that for is.......wait...I'm still thinking...I'll be back later.

I do like the idea of the interior netting.
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/05/02 09:33 PM

OK...I thought of one....it can be used to support something like this...from steel horse.

[img]http://store4.yimg.com/I/rodi_1684_1991887[/img]

IMO, the $99 rack from Xterraparts would be more functional.

Ian, I looked on their web site you posted...I do recall seeing those nets on open top Jeeps...I always thought it was to keep stuff from flying out. They don't show any pictures of it supporting anything...did they suggest any uses to you?

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
I have to agree...the only purpose I can think of using that for is.......wait...I'm still thinking...I'll be back later.
Putting stuff on ?

It can hold anything a huge Yakima LoadWarrior can hold, but doesn't stick up a foot above the truck or look unsightly.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nimbus 2001:
What is the load capacity? What would the length be (How far can you spread the crossbars)?
The load capacity should exceed the load capacity of the stock rack (which is 125 lbs.).

The cross bar racks are as far apart as they will go in the picture.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
They don't show any pictures of it supporting anything...did they suggest any uses to you?
Posted by: Schludwiller

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 12:43 AM

Are people going to start bitching when their "Xterra" decals start wearing off? Interesting design though.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Are people going to start bitching when their "Xterra" decals start wearing off? Interesting design though.
Probably, but considering the 2002 decals come off at the car wash, it may not be an issue for some.
We are still considering alternative mounting methods.
Posted by: Rev'n X

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]What is the load capacity? What would the length be (How far can you spread the crossbars)?
The load capacity should exceed the load capacity of the stock rack (which is 125 lbs.).

The cross bar racks are as far apart as they will go in the picture.[/b]
I would have to wonder if the crossbars would STAY there with a load bouncing up there. I couldn't help but notice the mighty mounts in case he decides to go to plan "b".
Posted by: Bobby_X

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 07:57 AM

Ian -

Did they send it to you to test out?

Did they happen to send the interior webbing also?

I think both are great. I can see this being very very handy for people with clearance issues. And the price can't be beat. (I'd think $50 would be more appropriate for some webbing? or even $75).

I'm really anxious to see the interior webbing. It would be great to have a Sgt-Lobo mod, done professionaly!

Bobby

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby_X:
Ian -

Did they send it to you to test out?

Did they happen to send the interior webbing also?

I think both are great. I can see this being very very handy for people with clearance issues. And the price can't be beat.

I'm really anxious to see the interior webbing. It would be great to have a Sgt-Lobo mod, done professionaly!

Bobby
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 08:10 AM

The interior webbing, it it horizontal, or vertical?

I would love to get rid of the pet divider most of the time. Though, I have had a couple 'load shifts' while off-road and am glad it was there. Nothing shifted to the front.

We ran into this company while in Moab. They are based in Denver as is XOC. I think that this has some serious potential for those of us who haul things around.

I could have this rack/nest and still haul drywall, plywood and lumber. This issue kept me from purchasing a rack. Now if the bracketry was on the bottom/sides of the tubes.

I'll wait a couple more hours before I hope to hear a reply from Ian. I forget that some people actually sleep in.

Todd
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steel_City_X:
I think that this has some serious potential for those of us who haul things around.

I could have this rack/nest and still haul drywall, plywood and lumber. This issue kept me from purchasing a rack. Now if the bracketry was on the bottom/sides of the tubes.

Todd
I'm confused how a safari rack would "prevent" you from hauling things around. I've had over 300lbs of steel on my rack, sheets of plywood, 4x4's, etc. I can haul pretty much anything I can get up top. The longer sheets lay over the entire top frame of the rack and allow for ratchet tie downs to be used.

Now I can understand the low profile setup, but it certainly won't be able to haul anything that a load warrior (or a better designed safari rack)can. Just the rigid design allowing for tie downs is a huge benefit when hauling.
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 11:18 AM

C's Tonka,

You are right, no improved loading. But, since I am 6'1", with a lifted X, Adding 4-6" on top of everything else makes it nearly impossible to load things. Additionally, the length of most racks is shorter than the roof rack, thereby IMO less stable. Having something longer than 60" as a rack would be a benefit, but I have not found it. The stock roof rack has 6 points of connection and are secure. Adding a basket, rack whatever on top increases the number of places to cut loose, etc....

Now I have seen some trucks that look incredible with the roof rack, but, spending a few hundred on something that really does not add significantly over the stock rack does not make sense to me. But then again, we all see things differently.

I would welcome a flush rack/nest of basket. Better yet, give me something that replaces the cross members and ride lower to the roof line between the rails. Thereby giving me the ability to store gear/supplies and not interferring with my ability to load lumber on the top.

Todd
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
No interest in the one up top since I have a safari rack, but I'd be interested in hearing more about the interior one. Keep us posted.
Interior one I'd be interested in.
Posted by: sundevil845

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 11:54 AM

I would be very interested in the interior rack.
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 02:03 PM

I would be even more interested in the interior rack.
Posted by: defibvt

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 02:13 PM

I like the idea of the interior web.
Posted by: babyX

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 02:17 PM

Interior! Interior! Interior! (just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, here).

I can see the use for the one up top, and since Graham has my safari rack and isn't considering handing it back anytime soon (I know, I know... I gave it to you), it might be interesting, but I'd much prefer seeing more about the interior one.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 05:27 PM

Hmm. I think the interior looks neat!
Posted by: Rob

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 06:02 PM

This looks like an interesting idea, but I don't think that it will work well.

The attachment mechanics are far too complex. What are there, 20 buckles to work with there? You say that the attachment is likely to change, that's good, those friction clasps don't really supply much in the way of security.

Webbing stretches. There are many, many, points where the webbing is sewn. Each of these is a potential failure point.

Those metal rings may look cool, but the product would be far stronger and much less prone to failure if the crossing web belts were sewn together rather than attached to those rings.

An adaptation of this might work as a cover for a safari basket.
Posted by: Rob

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 06:03 PM

This looks like an interesting idea, but I don't think that it will work well.

The attachment mechanics are far too complex. What are there, 20 buckles to work with there? You say that the attachment is likely to change, that's good, those friction clasps don't really supply much in the way of security.

Webbing stretches. There are many, many, points where the webbing is sewn. Each of these is a potential failure point.

Those metal rings may look cool, but the product would be far stronger and much less prone to failure if the crossing web belts were sewn together rather than attached to those rings.

An adaptation of this might work as a cover for a safari basket.
Posted by: Iced X Man

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 06:10 PM

i think the rack belongs on the 2003 model, it would go well w/the leather seat option.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 06:29 PM

I disagree with Rob's post.

I would NEVER worry about that webbing failing at any time.

We use webbing (albeit, most likely stronger) for our skydiving rigs. This is something we totally trust our lives in. We trust it so much that it's pretty much not even a worry.

We use webbing half as wide as that to connect the rigs to the canopies. I can't even begin to describe the forces that webbing goes under as the canopy opens and stops us from 130mph to 10mph.

Although, the webbing would be exposed very long term to all kinds of harsh enviroments. I wonder how much months of intense heat, heavy snow, or rain would harm the webbing?

There's a lot of things to factor in. But I would not worry about the webbing failing under any load. Unless it is a low quality webbing, or low quality connectors, or low quality craftmanship.

But its all good points.

Does anyone that is familiar with this compnay know the quality of their products?

I'm also going to do some research on the type of webbing used in skydiving rigs.

Anyways

Oh yeh, I can't wait for the interior webbing!!
Posted by: capelli

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 07:21 PM

rack looks cool but how will the nylon hold up under the sun

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iced X Man:
i think the rack belongs on the 2003 model, it would go well w/the leather seat option.
Hmmm ?
Why do you say that ?

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 05/05/02 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Which is why it will change, to deter theft.

The front and back ends will be loops. The crossbars will be removed, and the loops slid over them, then reattached. The crossbar is then adjusted to tighten the webbing.

Long term resistance to stretching and fade will be an issue, as well as stretching when wet.

Again, this product is a prototype, and I am simply gathering information for Raingler.

Thank you so far for everyones contributions and thoughts.

The interior web will have fewer issues against wear and tear, and be easy to install and adjust.
Posted by: Olegkha

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 05:02 AM

Ian , if you put a tire up there will it bouce up and down on bumps?

or the web is prety much tight that it will not move up and down ?
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 05:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]What is the load capacity? What would the length be (How far can you spread the crossbars)?

The cross bar racks are as far apart as they will go in the picture.[/b]
My concern is that people would put somthing heavy on it and the rack would fail (perhaps right away)..My reason... instead of putting weight on the rack in a downward fashion you are loading it horizontally. I don't think that they planed having it loaded that way.

Just something to think about

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 05:46 AM

I can't see the factory rack failing.
If the force is horizontal, the crossbars will support the length of the rack and vice versa.
If too much weight is put on it, the grab mechanism on the crossbars would slip first.

Olegkha, possibly. This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them.

BTW, please clean up your profile smile
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 07:01 AM

Quote:
[QB].

This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them.

QB]
For the price this looks like a good add on for those that have a height restriction because of a garage. Like you said throwing your camping gear and such up there and having many lashing points is much better than laying it between the rails on the paint.

I would be interested in the interior one.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 07:54 AM

Quote:
It can hold anything a huge Yakima LoadWarrior can hold, but doesn't stick up a foot above the truck or look unsightly.
Err, no. My rack does NOT stick a foot up off the factory rack - that's just ridiculous. It also looks a LOT better (smoother, cleaner) than this thing. Good God.

With a real rack, the weight is carried DOWN, onto the supports of the roof rack. With this thing, the weight is carried LATERALLY, being held by the two crossbars in the front/back, which is basically four screws in plastic. The sides are held on better, of course - but again, it's a lateral support of the weight. I don't know that the roof rack supports like that - they weren't designed for that.

As others have mentioned also, there are far too many failure points - rings, buckles, seams... This thing will probably stretch and flap in the wind and all kinds of stuff.

Is the hardware stainless? Or will it rust all over your paint job below?

I agree with FSRBIKER in that this might be a good option for those with clearance issues with their garage or something, but seriosuly...

Get a REAL rack. [Finger]
Posted by: hmacmill

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 08:36 AM

What uses do you guys want the interior rack for? As a pet divider, to hold things down?

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hmacmill:
What uses do you guys want the interior rack for? As a pet divider, to hold things down?
To store stuff normally kept on the floor of the cargo area... Tools, blankets, jumper cables, whatever...

It's just a way to use normally unused space in the truck, and open up more room down below for other stuff.
Posted by: hmacmill

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 09:44 AM

[/QUOTE]To store stuff normally kept on the floor of the cargo area... Tools, blankets, jumper cables, whatever...

It's just a way to use normally unused space in the truck, and open up more room down below for other stuff.[/QB][/QUOTE]

so you're talking about a vertical rack?
Posted by: huevos

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 11:30 AM

I hardly ever load the top, so I don't think I will use it..But it looks cool, I would buy it just because it looks cool.. [Freak] [Spit]
when does it come out?
Huevos
Posted by: Fletch

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 11:50 AM

Just having the ability to load the tent, chairs, sleeping bags, etc. onto the roof rack without body contact would be great. I am one of those with a severe truck height issue, as it stands I only have approx. 1" available before I would rub the rails backing into the garage.

I would be interested in both.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hmacmill:
so you're talking about a vertical rack?
No, horizontal... The net would be a few inches underneath the ceiling, and you can stuff things up in there...
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 02:14 PM

So far the only items of note I've put on top of my X are a new queen mattress and box spring and my spare. The mattress set is moot here, and I put my spare directly on the roof between the crossbars (on top of the Nissan rubber strips you can buy for $18) and it suits me fine. Most anything else will be fine the same way, and if it's not "flat" I can just get a piece of plywood to rest on the rubber strips and then stack from there.

The interior setup might be handy though,
Brent

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 02:55 PM

Quote:
Err, no. My rack does NOT stick a foot up off the factory rack - that's just ridiculous. It also looks a LOT better (smoother, cleaner) than this thing. Good God.
I said "truck", and go measure it, that ungainly thing sits almost a foot from the roof and is as ugly as a brush guard.
Posted by: janders

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 03:06 PM

I have nothing to add to this conversation other than:

a.) Interested in the exterior version.
b.) *Very* interested in the interior version.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 03:14 PM

Quote:
I said "truck", and go measure it, that ungainly thing sits almost a foot from the roof and is as ugly as a brush guard.
Close - I measure 11" from the high point of the roof to the top of the LoadWarrior rails. The stock roof rack itself is 5.5" of that, making the LoadWarrior only 5.5" extra. Unless that soft rack does some sort of magic, "it sits half a foot off the roof."

As for ungainly and ugly, that's fully subjective. I think it kicks ass, and that's about all that really matters.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 03:46 PM

Quote:
As for ungainly and ugly, that's fully subjective. I think it kicks ass, and that's about all that really matters.
You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 04:04 PM

Quote:
You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]
Naw, that's just holding my lights up until I get the ARB the weekend after next. wink
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 04:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]
Naw, that's just holding my lights up until I get the ARB the weekend after next. wink [/b]
Yeah , he's a big fan of those too. [LOL]
Posted by: spooky1

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 09:29 PM

Definately interested in the interior rack.
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 09:49 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the roof gear basket net already double as a net for the interior ceiling hooks?
Posted by: matto

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 10:28 PM

This belt system should have good appeal. It's light weight and easily store and good utility ( particularly with the height issue). A cargo net to hold items in place would be a good compliment.

My concern with the "Belt" rack would be how much flexing would occur with roughly 100 - 125 lbs suspended entirely by the belts and the whiplash effect as the load would snap upward.

I've kind of wondered why Nissan hasn't designed a cargo basket similar to the front basket for the main portion of the roof - that would be suspend below the racks (like the basket is mounted). This also would be "flush" with rack system on top of the X.

I would have an interest with the interior belt rack.

My two cents.
Posted by: SCDriven

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 06/05/02 11:19 PM

Looks good...I'll be interested in buying.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 07/05/02 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the roof gear basket net already double as a net for the interior ceiling hooks?
Right up until you put something in it, then it sags down and obstructs the rear view.
Posted by: Xrugger

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 06:01 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I like the idea. I currently have 2 inchs of clearance going into my garage so any baskets that would mount above the rails is out for me.

The the right kind of webbing can be very strong. What do you think tow starps are mad out of. Like someone said earlier webbing is used for parachute rigs and when opening a chute the amount of G's put on the webbing is huge. Also climbing harnesses and helocoper sling load nets are the same and also have to be able to whithstand high load factors.

As for it holding up in the weather, and my tech rig is all webbing. Yes the webing does strech when wet, but I don't think it will be enough to let it touch the roog of the rack is it is pre streched when you put it on. Also I teach scuba, my rig has held up for year of being exposed to clorinated water as well as salt water, both of which can be very harmfull to any cloth. My rig shows no signs of deterioration, except for the color fading.

I don't think this is ment to be left on all the time. just think of the wind noise this would create. This is ment to be put up on top when its needed and taken down and stowed away when not. Used like that and it should hold up for a very long time.

As for the rings as long as stainless steel is being used they should hold up fine. Although I would rather see solid straps going front to back and side to side. Less chance of failure. the stapes should all be cross swen at every intersection of two staps. This should also make manufacturing easier. If there is a need for metal attachment points a couple D-rings could easily be added to each strap in strategic locations.

I like the idea of using loops on the cross bars, gives it a more secure attachment, and the buckles used should be fine. We use thos to hold on weight belts, and they have a cam action that prevents them from opening if the webbing is pulled. Although I would recommend using the stainless steel buckles tech divers use. The plastic kind have been known to break or fail over time. Another option for attaching it to the rails would be a steel D-ring and positively closing hook. Just lay it out so the hook and dring are not in contat with the

I like the overall design, and have been considering making something up like this. Its perfect for throwing drybags or duffe bags of camping gear, dive gear, etc up top and secured with a net. I wouldn't want to put a tire up there or anything too heavy since it is not rigidly attached to anything ant there would be some give to the webbing.

Ian, I like the idea and if you want any other suggestions I'd be more than happy to help.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
I don't think this is ment to be left on all the time. just think of the wind noise this would create.
It makes no wind noise that I could detect.
I tested it at 80MPH.
Posted by: Y02X

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 06:27 AM

I'd be interested in it if it would also fit on a Frontier Crew Cab rack. I think the rail span is about the same.

I like it because a load warrior it too tall for my garage.
Posted by: Dirt Devil

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 06:35 AM

Yes the interior rack it a great idea. It's so good that Joan and I made one about two weeks ago. laugh We made it out of six short bungee cords and some webbing that we got at REI. When we went to the beach clean up, we used it to stow things like pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, & towels. We traveled 100 miles up and down the beach that weekend and not one thing fell out of the "loft" cool **UPDATED** I have pics up on my Picturetrail page. Hit the link in my sig.
Posted by: Olegkha

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 06:40 AM

Quote:
I tested it at 80MPH.
IAN! I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONE SAYING X SHOULD NOT GO THAT FAST ?
Posted by: xcanuk

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 08:16 AM

I like the idea and understand the attachment system will be revised, but would it be complicated to keep one end that goes to a crossbar adjustable ?? I use my rack for different things (bike rack etc) and might not have the option of keeping the crossbars at the max distance.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 09/05/02 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
[b]I tested it at 80MPH.
IAN! I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONE SAYING X SHOULD NOT GO THAT FAST ?[/b]
ROFL! I was just going to say that! LOL... laugh
Posted by: livinx

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 10/05/02 09:15 AM

I would be interested in an interior rack. I will stay with my loadwarrior on top. This rack would have a hard time holding my Kayaks. laugh
Posted by: Molten lava

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 10/05/02 11:29 AM

"It can hold anything a huge Yakima LoadWarrior can hold, but doesn't stick up a foot above the truck or look unsightly".

"Olegkha, possibly. This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them".

I will stick with my so called "unsightly load warrior". I do not want to be switching between the two because I cannot be sure if it will hold a tire. Plus I have mounting points for my Hi-lift jack and lights on the LoadWarrior that I would not have on the net. Unlike your opinion I like the look of the LoadWarrior and it seems a lot of other people do to who have told me.

That's my .02
Posted by: boconn

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 10/05/02 12:13 PM

I would be interested in both...
Posted by: pseacraft

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 10/05/02 12:30 PM

I like the idea and could have used it this past winter. I ended up making my own platform between the rails out of some spotted owl trees. I don't like those tall, top heavy looking racks. Their nice but impractical for my needs.

I think the "bouncy" ideas are a bit overstated since you have to strap everything down anyway. If you did it right the first time you wouldn't have any movement in any direction. If you have any movement your not tight enough on the straps and you may need to repack so you can get it tighter. That goes with any kind of rach system. I always use ratcheting load straps so that I can be positive of my loads secured.

I'll take one of these if they make some of the changes that have been mentioned here to make it a little bit stronger. Besides it would come in handy for the 4th of July fireworks and our local Air Shows as an elevated hamock! laugh

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 25/06/02 07:26 PM

Any update as to the development of these rack systems?
Posted by: Xterra Harry

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 25/06/02 09:39 PM

must have it, now!! And the interrior net as well. Get them produced!

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 25/06/02 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch:
Any update as to the development of these rack systems?
Actually, it looks like the roof rack is not going to work. I just tested it again last week with a new style strap buckle, and it refuses to hold to the factory rack without slipping and rotating.

Something major is going to have to change in the design to get it to work.

The internal rack should be ready for me to test in a week or so.
Posted by: n2fireresq

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 25/06/02 11:44 PM

well that sux - i need one for GOX - hopefully something will come out soon like that - i am not looking to see it before GOX tho

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 25/06/02 11:48 PM

I just talked with Eddie at Raingler, and he has a new idea that he thinks will solve the problems.

I'll be looking at it this week.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 26/06/02 10:36 AM

Thanks Ian, keep us informed.
Posted by: 2kxtra

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 03/07/02 10:05 AM

wouldn't mind the interior version either
Posted by: OBEYgiant

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 03/07/02 10:18 PM

Send me an interior rack to test... :p
Posted by: helopilot73

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/07/02 07:31 AM

Just thought I'd throw in my .02... I am interested in both an interior and exterior... I do a lot of scuba and water sports, and the gear basket gets small quick. The roof rack could serve as a second, larger gear basket. A suggestion though, perhaps in addition to the roof rack developing a custom built net for it similar in desgin to the gear basket net...
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 04/07/02 09:35 AM

Pretty cool. I bought a Yakima Basket Case rack and cut it to fit it in the same spot and sit low. Gives me just enough extra space to put some camping gear and a chain saw on top. This net would have pretty much done the same thing and been a lot easier. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Raingler

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 07/07/02 08:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! We have both units ready for final testing and pics to come this week. Watch for the review here. Thanks for the great response!
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 11/07/02 10:15 AM

I'll definitely include it in my wishlist! It wins over the Loadwarrior and Basketcase for cost and aerodynamics. I'm sold!
Posted by: slamson00

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 11/07/02 10:37 AM

Looks great! I am especially interested in the interior rack

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 11/07/02 10:44 AM

Just an update.

Raingler has redesigned the roof rack and gone to a much closer spacing of 1" webbing. This allows an extremely tight fit that doesn't sag.

I should see it and the interior rack next week.
Posted by: Raingler

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 11:59 AM

Would anyone have a p/u (this style:)

for test fitting the exterior rack on, or know if it is the same length as the Xterra as far as the roof bars? In Boulder CO area.
Posted by: Robert C.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 12:19 PM

Well, the Fontier Open Sky is not available yet, but if you mean the Crew Cab try the forums at NissanFrontier.net

BoarderPhreak,

Can you post a pic of your rack in an angle close to Ian's?

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 12:23 PM

I am really unsure about that Open Sky. Does it protect against water, etc, like a normal sunroof?

It just looks really flimsy.. but looks nice smile
Posted by: monkeyman

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 02:41 PM

le frontier
Posted by: Robert C.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 10:41 PM

There's been a lot of debate on it on Frontier boards. It doesn't look like it could stop water any more than a paper bag, but if it does get produced then it must do a good job at stopping leaks.
Posted by: Schludwiller

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 14/07/02 10:44 PM

VW produced roof like that back in the 60's. I imagine the technology has improved since then.

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 15/07/02 05:21 AM

Hm.. I'd definatly want to sit in one during a rain storm before buying smile

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 21/07/02 09:36 PM

Bump
Posted by: AtotheB

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 21/07/02 09:45 PM

That product looks great...much needed!

Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack - 21/07/02 10:03 PM

Raingler is ready to go into production, and I bumped this thread so people can read over the original discussions.