Rooftop protection

Posted by: X_Jeeper

Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 08:15 AM

I was wondering what people are using to prevent stuff stored on the roof, like duffelbags, from damaging the paint on the roof. I'm planning on putting a tarp down placing my luggage inside then folding the tarp over to protect it from rain. I don't want tarp rattle (from wind) to wear a spot in my paint down to the bare metal.

I was thinking of using a rubber entryway mat underneath but was wondering what other people are using, if anything at all.

------------------
Gary
2001 Alpine Green XE 3pk 4x4 5 speed - Stock baby!
Trek 5500 - Campy Chorus 10 Speed
Klein Attitude Race
Posted by: xterra2k

Re: Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 08:34 AM

I know that some of the top-o-car luggage carriers have some type of foam or rubber mat built in. But they also have many strappes to keep them from flapping in the wind. I would be careful about tarps because of the wind factor.
I went with a bolt on rack because I use it for coolers and wood etc. when I go camping.

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 08:50 AM

You can order the rubber strip kit here if you like. I got 'em a few months ago, but haven't gotten around to installing 'em until the weather warms up.

Brent
Posted by: Ag_xterra

Re: Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 09:06 AM

i installed the rubber strip kit for my xterra. installs very easily. thick rubber to protect the roof. if you plan on putting anything on the roof i would recommend this product. it will make waxing the roof a pain the ass though.

------------------
Silver Ice Xterra Xe
4x4 auto 3pk
Posted by: p.i.n.o.

Re: Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 03:18 PM

You could always get a roof basket like the Yakima Loadwarrior so your luggage isn't actually touching the paint.

------------------
Paul Crescini
'00 Super Black SE 4wd Auto
http://www.lil-pino.com/xterra.html
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Rooftop protection - 21/03/01 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
You can order the rubber strip kit here if you like. I got 'em a few months ago, but haven't gotten around to installing 'em until the weather warms up.

Brent

Thanks! I just ordered me some.
I was wondering about that myself... I was going to weld myself a gear basket like the loadwarrior (its too expensive, and not beefy enough), but this will do for now.

------------------
Chris McCracken
"He who dies with the most toys ...WINS!"
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net