Roof Lighting

Posted by: Frostie

Roof Lighting - 20/04/02 10:09 PM

First off, does anybody here have any roof lighting for the X? I've seen pics on the internet of X's that do, but I don't know how they were able to mount them onto the roof rack with the wind deflector there. So if you have lighting, how did you do it? What brand did you buy? How did you wire it into the electrical system? Is it worth it to put the roof lighting on when you can only use it off road legally? Hope to hear from some of you soon.
Posted by: rjm022

Re: Roof Lighting - 20/04/02 10:54 PM

i have four pro comp 130 watt lights mounted to my con-ferr roof rack. the two toggle switches are mounted on the center console, just in front of the 4x4 lever. the wires run through the passenger side fire wall to the relays, ground and battery. it's not hard work, just time consuming. it isn't worth doing this mod, unless the lights are going to get used on a regular basis. camping, offroading, etc
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 08:15 AM

You mean like this?

Posted by: hattrik21

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 09:04 AM

You can also purchase a light bar from 4x4parts.com. It hold 4 lights and its about 60 bucks plus shipping. You'll have to email them about it to order it. Heres a pic of it installed.

smile
Posted by: Frostie

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 10:19 AM

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Just one more question for you hattrik21. How did you conceal the wires from the roof to the firewall? Any drilling involved? Damn I love those lights!
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 10:29 AM

Info on roof lighting can be found: In this thread
In this thread
This one covers wiring,
Another thread dealing with running wiring,
Yet another thread dealing with wiring the lights,
sorry about any dead pic links, but I don't have the ability to fix those.
Posted by: Xterradon

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
You mean like this?

That is the best picture of the wind deflector mod! Was there any increase in wind noise with the addition of the stepped plastic? Anyone done this with a 2002 version?

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterradon:
That is the best picture of the wind deflector mod! Was there any increase in wind noise with the addition of the stepped plastic? Anyone done this with a 2002 version?
Why, thanks! smile

Nope, no wind noise change whatsoever - I've never had issues with the wind deflector whistling, etc.

I was thinking about picking up a 2002 model wind deflector and applying the same mod to it, but haven't made any progress on that front... Heh.
Posted by: Tom G

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 12:49 PM

BF - what kind of camera do you have? was that pic taken with it, or another?

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LUV2-4x4:
BF - what kind of camera do you have? was that pic taken with it, or another?
Yes, and it's a Canon D30 DSLR (Digital SLR)...

That picture is waaaaaaaay smaller than the original. I have a whole bunch of shots featuring that "fall look" going on.
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: Roof Lighting - 21/04/02 09:14 PM

I did drill a hole in the roof under the passanger side rack mount. Then sealed it with atv. Make sure if you do this that you don't drill the hole in the rain gutter. I then ran it down the a pillar and out thru the firewall via the boot that was already there.
Posted by: rmasters

Re: Roof Lighting - 24/04/02 08:26 AM

Hey Boarderphreak. How are you mounting those lights to the Load Warrior? It doesn't look like their light mounting brackets. Do you have a side view? Reason I ask is that I have a Load Warrior that is so stuffed there's no room for the light mounting brackets in the front. I need another option. Thanks.
Posted by: 01xterra

Re: Roof Lighting - 24/04/02 10:25 PM

BoarderPhreak, where did you get that clear wind deflector piece??? i love that, it makes it look so much better than just the black plastic.
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: Roof Lighting - 24/04/02 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01xterra:
BoarderPhreak, where did you get that clear wind deflector piece??? i love that, it makes it look so much better than just the black plastic.
It is the Thor mod.

Check out this link

http://www.xterra4x4.com/mods/Owners/Thors/seethrough.html
Posted by: kandacarlson

Re: Roof Lighting - 24/04/02 11:05 PM

I know this is a roof lighting thread, but I can't help butting in and changing the subject.
Quote:
I have been making kits to do this mod and selling them to interested parties for a little over a year. I made BP's kit pictured above.

The mod is not that hard to do yourself, and if you need help doing it yourself, or need a line on materials, send me an email. If you want a kit, also send me an email! Although I haven't been advertising, I'd be glad to make a few kits.
Posted by: Hawkeye

Re: Roof Lighting - 26/04/02 08:00 AM

Has anyone mounted lights behind the thor mod (shinning throughit)? it wouldn't be quite as effective but more aerodynamic.
Posted by: snowbro80

Re: Roof Lighting - 16/05/03 01:08 AM

That would be really cool to see with a clear version of the mod! cool
Posted by: ROKN_X

Re: Roof Lighting - 16/05/03 07:35 AM

You could also make your own light bar like...

This picture isn't the best, but here's what my lights look like from the front. The light bar is slightly below the level of the top of the wind deflector so it isn't visible from the front.

Feel free to PM me with any questions if you decide to make your own lightbar...
Posted by: ROKN_X

Re: Roof Lighting - 16/05/03 07:41 AM

The following link IMO is the best thread for offroad lights wiring. Check it out:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=001031
Posted by: spooky1

Re: Roof Lighting - 16/05/03 06:52 PM

Here is how I mounted my Daylighters to my custom safari rack. I drilled a hole in the middle leg of the passengerside middle rack leg and then thru the roof to run the wires. Then down the door pillar (the one between the front and rear doors) under the carpet to the switches in the center console. I don't have any pics yet from under the hood, but there is an Optima Yellow Top battery and relays located there. All in all, about 16 hours work by myself. This was also my first time trying any automotive electrical project. Since then I have installed a 600 watt power inverter under the front passenger seat and a Cobra CB radio. cool
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Roof Lighting - 17/05/03 06:08 AM

Here's some pics of the lightbar that I made.. wink

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid1737460
Posted by: therob

Re: Roof Lighting - 17/05/03 10:36 AM

Posted by: Xcited

Re: Roof Lighting - 17/05/03 11:57 AM

I got a 3rd stock cross bar and mounted 4 IPF 868's to it. I then cut out a portion of the sides of the gear basket to mount the cross bar close to the front. I ran the wiring for each set down opposite sides of the truck - through the center rack mounting foot, through the roof, down through the door pillars to the solonoid, then power under the kick plate and out through the fire wall to the battery, while the switch wiring went across the headliner and the switches are mounted in front of the maplights.

Here are a few pics: