interior bicycle mount

Posted by: Max517

interior bicycle mount - 03/05/12 08:18 AM

Just got a new Xterra.

I’d like to transport my bikes in the cargo area but can’t seem to find the right equipment to do this (even though Nissan promo materials clearly show bikes mounted inside). Can anyone recommend specific brands/models that work with the utilitrack system?

If not, any suggestions for an exterior mount that works well with Xterras?

Thanks.
Posted by: brslomo

Re: interior bicycle mount - 03/05/12 08:31 AM

What would be your reason for not buying these accessories from Nissan? I have always found that Nissan parts and accessories are of good quality and very reasonably priced. Additionally, if you develop a good relationship with your Nissan parts department, you can probably get a good discount.

I have bought new vehicles for many years. I have been able to get from twenty to twenty five percent discounts from Honda, Saab, and Nissan dealers. All you have to do, normally, is just ask.
Posted by: Max517

Re: interior bicycle mount - 03/05/12 08:42 AM

To my knowledge, Nissan doens't sell these accessories.
Posted by: sierra77

Re: interior bicycle mount - 03/05/12 07:45 PM

PM Sent
Posted by: Nighthawk

Re: interior bicycle mount - 09/07/12 12:15 PM

I've got one of these and used in my former '04 X.

Now that I have the '12 Pro-X have to see if I can find away to still use it.

Other wise might sell it.
Posted by: BobbyDuracel

Re: interior bicycle mount - 13/01/13 02:20 PM

I have plenty of pics on my phone if you need assistance with this. The trick? Buy three of the cheap "fork mounts" from REI. They have two bolt holes each and run around $20 apiece. Take the mounts to Home Depot and purchase aluminum bar in the length you need. Measure from eye-eye with the gear tie-downs installed in your cargo area.

The aluminum bar is full of screw holes and is bent 90 degrees in the middle. It looks like an L basically. I think the alum bar runs somewhere around $10 and the length is 3-4 feet. I haven't the exact measurements on hand.

Thread the three fork mounts on the alum bar, use two of your cargo tie-down loops to hold the alum bar down to the floor, and mount away.

I can put two cannondale road bikes (one on each side) inside and a full blown DH rig in the middle. Just use the proper fork adaptor for your hub size. If you go above a 170mm front fork you'll need to put it on the roof rack. Otherwise, buy a travel adjust fork (Marzocchi makes a 170-130 and a 180-140mm), put the fork in "climb" mode - to clear your ceiling - and roll out. If I were not at work right now I could attach some sweet shots of my triple mounts. PM me and I can sent them via text, if you are interested.

The total cost is under $100 and holds 3 bikes. smile
Posted by: JasonRain

Re: interior bicycle mount - 01/03/13 03:29 AM

What would be your reason for not buying these accessories from Nissan?