Broke my winch - suggested replacements?

Posted by: InfX708

Broke my winch - suggested replacements? - 29/03/14 12:12 PM

Managed to break my Warn M10K yesterday. The cable snapped at the drum and the only point above mud to pull the X out with was the winch. We wrapped a tow strap around the drum, but it looks like we caught a tie rod in it. End result is a bent tie rod and broken drum support ends - replacement cost $523.

So, looking for suggestions for replacing it. It is used occasionally - like 10 times in the last 14 years. I kind of like the idea of a rope vs a steel cable from the standpoint of getting it back on the drum in a neat fashion. The damn cable never went on right - always piled up no matter what I did. It's gotta fit in an ARB bull bar on a 2000 Xterra.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Broke my winch - suggested replacements? - 11/04/14 05:36 PM

I really prefer the synthetic ropes to the wire ropes, especially as I have witnessed some NASTY wire rope snaps, etc.

Have you considered contacting Warn about a warranty repair? laugh

Nothing to lose?

Plan C - Add some real front recovery points so the winch itself is not all you have. I realize that's tough, as the ARB only has the fake recovery points ("Winch Hook Hangers"), and people who have mistakenly used them for recovery have seen them rip right out, etc.

This will also facilitate doubling the line, etc, to increase pulling power, etc.

Plan B -

I have had a Warn 9.5xp for many years now, with synthetic line, and its been a beast, never a hiccup...and its seen its share of CONSTANT use. (I have buddies who, um, like to test their limits...yeah, its mostly for my FRIENDS...)

wink

Did you have a budget?
Posted by: carlxter

Re: Broke my winch - suggested replacements? - 14/04/14 08:24 AM

I have the Engo winch with synthetic line. It's dependable enough though I haven't used it many times.
Posted by: InfX708

Re: Broke my winch - suggested replacements? - 28/04/14 12:33 PM

Well, I have bigger problems now. Engine blew the head gasket and coolant leaked into the cylinders. Only had 277K miles on it. Time for a new engine. $7500 +tax. No way the wife will let me get a winch anytime soon.