what are your favourite mods on your X?

Posted by: Savage

what are your favourite mods on your X? - 19/06/02 10:28 PM

and how much do they cost?

i got a 2002 SC/SE model. i want to 'customize' it a bit, but don't know where to start...plus i want to keep some $$ in my wallet for living necessities etc...
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 19/06/02 10:31 PM

start here... xterraparts.com

and consider what you need, what you want, what you need and want, and what you just plain shouldnt have, but youre gonna spend the damn money anyways on despite what anyone says... everyone has their own needs...
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 19/06/02 11:29 PM

I haven't done much myself.. Don't need the ARB and shit for the minivan..

My favorites are the Steelhorse console(cupholders suck, though) and the Sportster bar(thanks Long)..
Posted by: Savage

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 19/06/02 11:49 PM

cool...any links or pics of those?

i went to xterraparts.com, the windshield deflectors and the PIAA lamps are definitely on my list of 'to do's'...as are the tow hitch (very handy) and some sweeter tires.
Posted by: Viper X

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 19/06/02 11:56 PM

I love the auto dimming mirror. Tires [Pirelli Scorpions] and Lights [PIAA 520s and 1500s] are up there too. And a good sound system is a must.

Smaller things like the incabin microfilter, rubber floor mats, cargo protector and seat covers are always popular.
Posted by: Paul H

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 12:07 AM

I love my westin safari bar. See pic below. I also painted my steprails and roofrack black (after the photo was taken)to match the super black and it looks sweet. I have the window guards and it is nice with a black truck to be able to crack the windows a bit to help release the heat. I also have the piaa super white replacement bulbs and while you can tell the difference in the light output I am still not sure if when they burn out I will replace them with the piaas. Just a bit pricey I think. Anyway get what you want and only what you want. Do not get something because someone else has it. Its your truck.

Now get out there and wheel damnit!!

Roof rack and rails black

Posted by: Paul H

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 12:08 AM

Sorry the westin safari bar and kc lights came to around 300 total for both if you add shipping. The painting car vary on what you use, cost me 20 dollars and my labor.

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Savage:
cool...any links or pics of those?

i went to xterraparts.com, the windshield deflectors and the PIAA lamps are definitely on my list of 'to do's'...as are the tow hitch (very handy) and some sweeter tires.
Console:

[img]http://store4.yimg.com/I/rodi_1685_14104960[/img]

Cupholders suck harder than a Hoover though.. Got to get around to doing Xcanuck or rrdstarr's cupholder mod soon.. I'm lazy.. laugh

Here's the bar..

Can anybody shrink this image?
Posted by: Ramness

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuo2k:

Here's the bar..

Can anybody shrink this image?
Hey! I've seen that X somewhere before!
Posted by: xcanuk

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 05:03 AM

Console> www.geocities.com/x_canuk/console.html acres of room.
If you want bigger cup holders without cutting, I remember steelhorse used to sell a cup insert that raised the sides and let you hold bigger cups.
I've added alot of little things, the only one that didn't work for me is the overhead bin in the cargo area.
Posted by: Dayspring

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 06:44 AM

Steering Stabilizer. Nice cheap mod but the benefits are TOTALLY worth it.
Posted by: striker511

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 07:14 AM

Hey Gang...

Some of my favorite mods, that are under $100 are:
Windflectors for the windows (keeps the rain out-look at www.autobarn.com)and the bugflector II
macneil autoparts.co (dont know link)

simple and effective mods, and easy on the pocketbook

Joe
Posted by: airbutchie

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 07:19 AM

Hhmmmm... Let's see:

(click on link)
Sgt. Lobo\'s Storage Mod
Westin Safari Bar w/ KC Lights
Coolerman\'s LED Mod Lighting
Cheap Multimedia Setup
Low Profile Yakima Safari Roofbasket Mod (Do a search in Parts & Accessories Forum)
Plus Front Bug Deflector, Side Windows Deflectors, and Rear Window Deflector (sorry no links or pics)

Costs:
Sgt. Lobo Storage Mod - Roughy $20 or so
Westin Safari Bar w/ KC Lights - Safari Bar $90, KC Lights $90
Coolerman's LED Mod Lighting
- Cup Lights $21, Glove Box $21, Center Console $21
- Do the combo deals to get better pricing
Mulimedia Setup
- 5.6" LCD Screen $50 (Fry's Electronics)
- Gooseneck/CD Player Holder Unit $20 (Fry's too)
- Power cord for LCD Screen $9 (Electronics Boutique)
- 12' A/V cable $10 or so...
Yakima Safari Basketcase
- Yakima Basketcase $90 (got it for $70 during an REI sale)
- Mod parts @ Home Depot (support rails, U-Bolts and such) $20
Deflectors - All GTO Products
- Front Bug $40
- Side Window Set of 4 $30
- Rear Deflector $40

- Air B
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 07:40 AM

Hard to say - got too many of \'em! laugh
Posted by: Ruttiger

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 09:39 AM

Since you have the SE - invest in the THOR MOD

You'll be happy you did
Posted by: EMT_Diver

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 10:33 AM

next size larger tires, surco rack, 6 Hella lights on rack, HAM radio, CB, front and rear receivers, Westin Safari bar w/ Hellas, tinted windows, Neoprene seat covers, pet divider, Dynomat in the doors, separate door speakers, Alpine amp, vent visors, gps, radar,anti car jacking knife mod............etc
Posted by: vasponger

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 11:00 AM

do you have to have an SE to do that? isnt it just a clear deflector that all XTERRAS have? [Huh?]
Posted by: xbertmx

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 11:15 AM

I've never really looked at that coolerman mod before. Looks pretty useful. I was just wondering, is there a way you could turn it on with a switch rather than being connected to the main lights? And since I have a Canadian X (lights always on), that would mean the LEDs would always be on as well right? Or do they only come on with high beams?

Thanks.

Edit: one last thing, have alot of people put in these LEDs? any feedback on them?
Posted by: xcanuk

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 11:23 AM

Cdn DRL are hooked to Highbeams.. the only thing it screws up are offroads lights/ accessories connected to highbeams with a relay.

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vasponger:
do you have to have an SE to do that? isnt it just a clear deflector that all XTERRAS have? [Huh?]
[Freak]
Posted by: XOC

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 12:28 PM

Bumper mounted Bottle Opener

Posted by: CosmicX

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
Where can I get one?
Pierre
Posted by: MOLTAR

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vasponger:
is there a point to a clear deflector if you have no sunroof?
Posted by: huevos

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 20/06/02 03:06 PM

Not really too modded 'X'cept for the 31 BFG's All Terrains and the SLR rear 2in shackels and torsion bar lift up front...But damn I love it and inexpensive. [Spit]

Huevos [Freak]
Posted by: coolerman

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 21/06/02 03:42 PM

Quote:
I've never really looked at that coolerman mod before. Looks pretty useful. I was just wondering, is there a way you could turn it on with a switch rather than being connected to the main lights?
The LED kits hook into the dash lights. If the dash lights are on they are on. It would be possible to have these turn on with a switch. It would raise the cost of the kit however frown If you want I can look into this for you. Do you have a switch in mind?

Quote:
And since I have a Canadian X (lights always on), that would mean the LEDs would always be on as well right? Or do they only come on with high beams?
Only if your dash lights are on when the Daytime running lights are on.
Check out the kits here: CoolKits

Quote:
Edit: one last thing, have alot of people put in these LEDs? any feedback on them?
Do a search for this, several people have installed them and so far I have not sent anyones money back!
Posted by: JBONE

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 21/06/02 04:11 PM

Well I really like the hidden compartment I installed under the passenger seat for smuggling 'fireworks' from Ol' Mexico. [Freak]

As well as my window mounted cup holder. laugh

J/K [Finger] Hell I'm too poor to add any mods besides the explorer 2 tent and screens to the front windows to keep the bugs out.
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 23/06/02 05:07 PM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dayspring:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I get one?
Pierre
CosmicX,

I just installed the steering stabilzer this weekend. It is night vs. day driving the X now. I should have done it along time ago. I got mine from Todd at EOE, web page .

Stone
Posted by: defibvt

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 23/06/02 08:02 PM

Tires
Posted by: xterramike

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 28/06/02 04:23 PM

My additions are as follows:

Safari Basket, Safari Basket Convenience Net, Xterra Rubber Floor Mats{front}, Window Guards, Xterra Neoprene Seat Covers, Xterra Fog Light Covers, Xterra Baseball Cap; All items purchased from www.xterraparts.com

Steel Horse Hitch Mounted Bike Rack from www.Carparts.com.

Just added last week:
Westin Safari Bar w/KC Daylighters.
Cost $374.00 installed at a local parts place.

Love them all!!
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 28/06/02 05:13 PM

Cutting down the tall (manual) gear shift and getting rid of that ugly circus tent that covered it.

dave and xtoy - what were they thinking?

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 28/06/02 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
I just installed the steering stabilzer this weekend. It is night vs. day driving the X now.
You probably have some worn steering components then.

I just removed my stabilizer, and can't tell the difference.
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 28/06/02 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]I just installed the steering stabilzer this weekend. It is night vs. day driving the X now.

I just removed my stabilizer, and can't tell the difference.[/b]
Maybe you have a worn out stabilizer, there are many, many people who have felt the benefits of a steering stabilizer.

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 28/06/02 08:57 PM

Can someone describe the benefits ?

Better on center steering is about all a stabilizer is capable of doing. It will reduce bump steer somewhat, but in doing so, passes those forces on to other components, which is what I believe is wearing out center links faster.

Anyhoo, I'll be running with no stabilizer next week on some very rocky trails. I have a brand new centerlink installed, and we'll see if it survives the trip. I've had no trouble wasting one in a few days in the past.

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 07:24 AM

Helping bumpsteer is a major benefit, especially if you drive where there is lots of construction on the roads, varying surfaces and off road it helps to prevent the steering wheel from getting jerked side to side violently, etc.

What forces is a steering stabilizer that is running parallel to the centerlink exerting on it? What kills centerlinks is the force the tie rods exert onto it at an upward angle wearing out the crappy plastic bushing in the idler arm pivot.

After ECXC there will be a third solution to the steering problems Nissan's are known for. [Smoking]

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 08:05 AM

Is there going to be testing at ECXC? If so, I'm going under your truck with a flashlight whilst you sleep wink .

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruttiger:
Is there going to be testing at ECXC? If so, I'm going under your truck with a flashlight whilst you sleep wink .
It's already in test on two X's, by ECXC there will be 5-10 more sets in test and with the terrain Paragon has to offer that's some good real world testing that 60+ X owners will be able to see in person.
laugh
Posted by: SEXterra

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 11:04 AM

Good strategy...
Keep it Low-key until fully tested to prevent any questions. I look forward to seeing it.

Where's my bumper?
Posted by: Boomer

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 05:39 PM

My favorite mods? Calmini cat-back (side exit) exhaust system, K&N off-road aircharger system, Aries grille guard and taillight guards, and Garwin Streetpilot GPS.
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 29/06/02 06:15 PM

Quote:
quote:
I just installed the steering stabilzer this weekend. It is night vs. day driving the X now.

I just removed my stabilizer, and can't tell the difference.
Ian,
I do not know how the roads are in Colorado, but here in New Jersey the are filled with ruts, potholes, cracks, etc. So far the stablilizer has improved the steering wheel from jerking from side to side in these type of hazards. Of for its offroad capabilities I cannot say yet. I will be testing it out in two weeks at the ECXC.

Stone
Posted by: OFFROADMANUAL

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 07:12 AM

TatsuoX, I like the Sportster Bar on your X. Can you please provide a link for the company or where to buy it? Thanks.
Posted by: stormy

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Bumper mounted [b]Bottle Opener

[/b]
I have to agree smile
Posted by: Kinetic

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 12:37 PM

Mine would be added lighting. Under the hood so I can see what I'm doing at night. Then comes tires and all the good stuff.
Posted by: LOCHS 2

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 01:38 PM

My cheapest,most practical--and useful mod has to be this ...(all proceeds go to Illinois Dept of Transportation)
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOCHS 2:
My cheapest,most practical--and useful mod has to be [b] this ...(all proceeds go to Illinois Dept of Transportation)[/b]
I always have used my ashtray for coins. Since the 2002's don't have one, I bought this from xterraparts.

Re: what are your favourite mods on your X? - 25/07/02 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryTate:
TatsuoX, I like the Sportster Bar on your X. Can you please provide a link for the company or where to buy it? Thanks.
No problem. It offers all the benefits of a brushguard(place to put lights, looks sweet) without the negatives, IMO.

Scroll down on this page to the selection for Nissan. I got the black one(bought it from another member here), but the silver(actually, silver & black) is sweet too.