Air filter to boost HP??

Posted by: satrider

Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 02:29 PM

I heard somewhere that there are Air filters that can add some 10 -15 HP to the Xterra. Is there any truth to this?

------------------
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 02:51 PM

Yes, and the fabled "Type R" sticker is worth another 5-10hp... ;>

Naw, seriously. Get yourself a K&N filter and you'll forever be thankful. It's much more efficient, especially so when it's dirty - as compared to a stock paper filter. It'll filter out a lot more stuff, last a lot longer - and yes, increase horsepower and mileage.

But it certainly won't add 10-15hp! More like less than 5hp. It should increase your gas mileage ever so slightly as well.

Again, it's more efficient, and all-around better than the stock filter. It'll also last forever.

P.S. See also: "search function"

------------------
Posted by: Xrugger

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
But it certainly won't add 10-15hp! More like less than 5hp. It should increase your gas mileage ever so slightly as well.

You must not have put the K&N sticker on the back of the truck...that itself have me about10 hp.

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 03:30 PM

Ahhh, you're right - I knew I was missing something!

------------------
Posted by: Sc00ter

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 04:59 PM

I heard that fuel economy actually suffers when you add the K&N. Maybe that was the pop charger. :}

scoot

------------------
"There appears to be a loose nut on the keyboard!"
Posted by: blue

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 05:00 PM

I wasn't going to say anything till I'd gone thru 3 tanks of gas, but the K&N does seem to be working. I've been getting at least an extra 1.5/mpg since I've installed it. I know that might not seem like a lot, but when it'd been at 16/mpg, every little bit helps!

------------------
2001 XE-3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 05:06 PM

There's something wrong in the analysis, then - because replacing the stock filter with a K&N improves mileage, if anything. Granted, like I said - you won't see dramatic changes, but they are there.

The other day I did a good mix of highway and local driving, with the A/C on 75% or more of the time, with two passengers (three people total). The tires were set to 34psi (a touch too high, IMO - go for 32). On the highway I drove anywhere from 65-80mph and I got exactly 17mpg. A couple of times I romped on 'er to show it off to the passengers (my parents). If I took off my BigPowderHound I think I could've gotten even a little more.

------------------
Posted by: Sc00ter

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 05:18 PM

Thanks for the follow up BP.

scoot

------------------
"There appears to be a loose nut on the keyboard!"
Posted by: RichRoss

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 06:31 PM

What kind of air filter is this? Where can i get one.

------------------
Richard Ross

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 07:32 PM

It's a K&N Filter, available from xterrastore.com or xterraparts.com. They have a size made for the Xterra. When you install it, keep in mind that you won't need the foam glue-on strips that come in the box.

------------------
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 08:11 PM

The hp gain is proportional. 10-15 hp might be seen in an engine that already puts out a lot of power, but not on an X.

There is no such thing as cheap (tangible) horsepower.

Brent

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 08:37 PM

You guys are great! I like this board because everyone is helpful and honest. thanks for the advice I will get one right away, it sad that I feel like I should have to replace a filter (nissan) with only 100 miles on the car (yes I already put that much one and it hasn't been a week yet). Not to start up anything else but whats this talk about adding an exaust to get more power. Just kidding!! I read all kinds of stuff on here and other places that makes me wonder how much truth is to anything. All I know is I love my car, but the gas mileage and power do kind of lack. Now I know where the money I saved buying the car is going to go. GAS!!!!! Seems like just to take it on the long trips I might have to add in the price of the frequent fillups. Go any where, spend any amount on gas that should be the slogan for the X.

------------------
Posted by: miket

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 23/04/01 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satrider:

it sad that I feel like I should have to replace a filter (nissan) with only 100 miles on the car

Don't fret too much, it's quite normal in most vehicles to upgrade to K&N, even on Porsches. If all the parts in the X were upgraded, like a stock filter to K&N, they'd be more expensive!

Please post your impressions when you get it.

mikeT

------------------
2001 SE 4X4
Rain+Dirt!

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Ahhh, you're right - I knew I was missing something!

Thats alright BP, you a FNG, how would you have known.

------------------
Joe
Posted by: Cygnus-X1

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 06:13 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the performance gain with K&N is way debatable. I took my K&N out of my Frontier and never did put one in my X when I got it. I think my mileage actually got worse and my idle speed was always way too high. I had to step on the brake hard to keep the truck from moving when I was stopped at a light. Took the K&N out and everything was back to normal. I like the re-useability of the K&N, but without an aftermarket exhaust, the performance gain is more imaginary than anything. All just my .02 cents.....and some pocket lint to boot.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 08:13 AM

Well, I have two K&Ns in my race car, and one in the Xterra. It works for me - mileage, performance, longevity and effiency are all up. It's just a better filter.

But hey, to each his own!

Shaddup, Joe.

------------------

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 08:36 AM

whats the best price on the K&N filter out there? Where?

------------------

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 11:05 AM

I was able to locate the filter locally for 2000 Xterra but none for the 2001. It should fit the 2001 fine right?

------------------
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 11:28 AM

Yep, no change between '00 and '01.

Pep Boys has 'em for under $50. I've seen about $36 online, but after shipping it's pretty much a wash.

Brent

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 24/04/01 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satrider:
whats the best price on the K&N filter out there? Where?

I got mine for $45 at Pep Boys and it is the same filter as the 2000 Xterra and Fronteer uses.

------------------
Joe
Posted by: Sherm

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 09:06 AM

not to keep this thread going longer than necessary, but I got mine at Pep Boys and it was right at $45 as well. I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

------------------
Sherm near Cincinnati
2000 Silver Ice XE V6 4x4
Posted by: pepper kay

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 10:41 AM

I saw one at Auto Zone today for $39.85 ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
'01 XE 3 pack 4x4
auto - SWXC #39
Alpine Green
Posted by: amfemc

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 02:12 PM

has anybody tried the JWT Pop-Charger from xterraparts.com and if so, does it work better or worse than just replacing the K&N air filter? Are there better solutions out there for air induction systems?

Does it really matter about getting a different exhaust like the cat-back exhaust?

------------------

[This message has been edited by amfemc (edited 04-26-2001).]

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amfemc:
has anybody tried the JWT Pop-Charger from xterraparts.com and if so, does it work better or worse than just replacing the K&N air filter? Are there better solutions out there for air induction systems?

Does it really matter about getting a different exhaust like the cat-back exhaust?

SEARCH!

------------------
01SE 6cyl 5spd SolrYelow

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 02:27 PM

Ok got mine yesterday at local AUTOZONE for $44.99. Hey Whats up with that, someone said they paid $39.00 at AUTOZONE. I feel ripped for $5.00 now! Can't wait to go put it in. Hope its all as people say. How much time shoulf I plan on, 15 min to install? Need special tools or anything?

------------------

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 02:48 PM

All of five minutes and all you need is your fingers!

Don't forget to affix the sticker to the airbox, lest some yahoo throw your filter out and replace it with a paper one... And charge you for it! Don't laugh, it's happened to someone here.

------------------
01SE 6cyl 5spd SolrYelow
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 04:30 PM

Hey so how often should you change the K&N filter I got one and also the recharger kit but am not sure how to check if it is dirty. Do you go by mileage or just put it up to the light and see if you can see through it.

------------------
'01 Ultra-black XE
Waag front and rear gaurd
Tinted Windows
Souped up system
love it.
Posted by: Rosco

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 04:45 PM

You should actually get more of a performance boost from a cat-back exhaust than from the K&N.

------------------
01' SE 4x4
Beautiful - not Just - Blue

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 26/04/01 05:40 PM

It takes a LOT for the K&N to be "truly dirty" and it actually works better when it's dirty.

However, when it's all nasty looking, use the kit to clean and consequently re-oil the filter and you'll be ready for tens of thousands more miles and smiles.

------------------
01SE 6cyl 5spd SolrYelow
Posted by: Dr. Xtreme

Re: Air filter to boost HP?? - 27/04/01 09:12 PM

I finally got my K&N today after O'Reilly ordered it for me. I've been reading these threads for a while, so I couldn't wait to get it installed. The first thing I did was take the truck out for a spin, and I DID notice a difference in the pickup and acceleration. Of course, that may just be observer bias. Anyway, I keep very detailed records of my gas mileage, and I'll post the numbers after I have gone through a few tanks of gas with the new filter. From what I have seen in other threads, the difference is probably statistically significant, even if it doesn't amount to much in day-to-day driving. The interesting thing would be to compare the cost of the K&N to the paper filters over time, then factor in the gas savings.

------------------
2001 XE V6 Auto
Super Black
3 pk.