Placement of Backup Lights

Posted by: jfdonahue

Placement of Backup Lights - 29/12/01 06:59 AM

I just got my new '02 SE 4 X 4 and love it. The only problem is the back up lights. They suck. I did a search of these forums and saw that many of you have installed additional backup lights. My question is, where should the lights be installed to maximize visability while backing up? On the roof rack, or under the rear bumper? Thanks.
Posted by: XXXTERRA

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 29/12/01 09:11 AM

I installed mine on the roof, and they work great. They, KC backup lights, cast a wide pattern that lights up a larger area. They are 55w each. Others have them attached to their rear bumper or hitch, but I prefer the light being cast down rather than across.
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 29/12/01 11:01 AM

You stand a chance of tearing them off if you put them under your bumper when your out 4wheelin'.
Posted by: Gator Saver

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 29/12/01 11:04 AM

I have the rear air deflector so I put mine under the rear bumper. The deflector cut out most of the light for about 12' back.
Posted by: CDXX

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 01/01/02 07:35 AM

I've been thinking of rigging something up using my hitch and it's wiring harness. I don't offroad so I'm more concerned with everyday (everynight) driving. I was thinking of ripping a 2x4 down to fit into the sleave while having it stick out a few inches. I'd then bolt a light down to it about an inch or two back in case somebody runs into it (of course I would never back into anything!?!). I would power it by using a trailer wiring adapter that would just plug right into my pigtail! My only question is what size light to use so as not to fry the wiring?
Posted by: NthLJ

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 01/01/02 08:33 AM

I was thinking of recessing a set of lights into the bumper. I'll have to look at it more though.

Charlie
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Placement of Backup Lights - 01/01/02 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDXX:
My only question is what size light to use so as not to fry the wiring?

Not too big, the wiring harness isn't made for high power lights, just normal brake and backup.
55 watts might work, but I'd keep a close eye on them.