Safari Rack Question

Posted by: Metalikat3003

Safari Rack Question - 20/05/02 07:46 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Nissan Safari Rack? If so, can it hold a spare tire and are lights mountable to it?
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: Safari Rack Question - 20/05/02 08:33 PM

If you're talking about the $99 rack they sell, no it can not hold a spare tire unless you modify it. By this, I mean cutting most of the front section off and folding it down so it's lined up with the flooring. IMO, it's a decent rack for the price, and it can hold lots of stuff. Check out Ian's personal site...he has some good pictures and ideas of how to store stuff in it.

I can get you some pictures of how to make the tire fit if you want...just let me know, and I'll go and take some.

Rich
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Safari Rack Question - 20/05/02 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
If you're talking about the $99 rack they sell, no it can not hold a spare tire unless you modify it. By this, I mean cutting most of the front section off and folding it down so it's lined up with the flooring. Rich
Yep. That's what I did, only I cut the sides (the longer sides, that is). Here's a shot minutes before leaving for a trip to Moab last Summer. Found it used for $40.00, did some cutting on each side, then a little bending and it works like a champ.:

Posted by: GrumpyTom

Re: Safari Rack Question - 21/05/02 12:46 AM

Dang John, your truck's all shiny and clean!
Posted by: Metalikat3003

Re: Safari Rack Question - 21/05/02 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
If you're talking about the $99 rack they sell, no it can not hold a spare tire unless you modify it. By this, I mean cutting most of the front section off and folding it down so it's lined up with the flooring. IMO, it's a decent rack for the price, and it can hold lots of stuff. Check out Ian's personal site...he has some good pictures and ideas of how to store stuff in it.

I can get you some pictures of how to make the tire fit if you want...just let me know, and I'll go and take some.

Rich
If you could post some pics, it would be much appreciated.
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Safari Rack Question - 21/05/02 06:27 AM

"Nice Rac".............I suppose you have the T-shirt too???? laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Safari Rack Question - 21/05/02 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
"Nice Rac".............I suppose you have the T-shirt too???? laugh laugh laugh
No way! I'm not that cheesy! :p Besides, the Mrs would show me the door.

--------------------------------------------

GrumpyTom, yeah, it was way too shiny there. After a couple days it was nice and dirty like it shoulda been. [Wave]

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, I've only backed into the garage with the tire on the roof once. DOH! I was going so slow all it did was shift the tire a bit make a funny noise. No damage done.