May 12th Box Canyon/Florence

Posted by: Anonymous

May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 05:45 AM

defibvt and I will be going to Box Canyon and Florence area trails May 12th. This will be a great day and a chance to pre-run Box Canyon before the night run later on in May. There are a multitude of trails down there from easy to extreme, so come along and have some good 'ol times with me and defibvt (Scott) who has a hard time making it for Xcursions due to a messy work schedule.

Stay tuned for full details.

*****CHECK PAGE 4 FOR UPDATES*****

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 06:50 AM

Hmmmmm - Will have to try and get the CV Boots done on my 4Runner before then and maybe I'll bring her along for her trial run.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Hmmmmm - Will have to try and get the CV Boots done on my 4Runner before then and maybe I'll bring her along for her trial run.
Hey if ya need help, we can bang that task out in no time. Just let me know. Don't want anything holdin' ya back from a badass day of wheelin'!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 12:14 PM

Count me in.

I'll cross post on N4W and we'll get a big old herd out there.

Meeting time/place?

Are you running Coke Ovens too?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 12:27 PM

Meeting time will be 8:00am.

As to the meeting place...open for suggestions. I am not knowledgeable on good meet up spots near there.

Please cross post this Andy, I forgot to throw it up on SWANKy net this morning. It would be awesome to have a herd of transfer case equipped machines out there.

I am up to run as many trails as possible that day. I was thinkin' Box Canyon for sure, maybe Coke Ovens, Telegraph Canyon, Martinez Cabin,...?

Come one come all... cool

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 12:40 PM

A good day run is in through box canyon, to the cabins for lunch, and out to the coke ovens in the afternoon, cross the river and go back out to florence....

Or, we could go out battleaxe and come out in superior.

8am...if going into Box Canyon, why not just meet at the Price Road turnoff in Florence immediately past the RR tracks. That's the entrance road to go to Box Canyon.

Anyone interested in an overnighter and camping by the river on Saturday night?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 01:56 PM

Box Canyon, Cabins, Coke Ovens is kinda what I had in mind, so that sounds good. cool

Let's meet at the entrance to Box Canyon. As described above. If anyone needs more better directions lemme know.

Thanks for your input and help Andy. Looking forward to wheeling with ya again. [ThumbsUp]

ETA: I am camping ya'll.
Posted by: defibvt

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 05:37 PM

Count me in. Heehee!! I get to offroad...I get to offroad!!!!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 07:59 PM

Yeah for Scott!!! [LOL]

We're thinking about it, but it's getting close to finding out when we may get to move. We'll have to play it by ear.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 17/04/07 09:49 PM

When I get back to work on Thursday I'll see if I can get the 12th off.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 18/04/07 01:40 PM

Actually have this weekend off atm. Am going to see about making it out with Bren and the pups and camp as well.
I know...who the hell is this stranger posting up? :p

Anyway, Bren's B-day is the wekend before, so copious amounts of Knob Creek and coke may be consumed at camp that eve....lol

Do I need to get a permit from the state or BLM. Can never remember if the trails on trust land or BLM....

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 18/04/07 01:49 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, it is state trust land. It would be great to have ya out Ty. Haven't seen ya since Hassayampa a while back and CK before that.

This is shaping up to be a great weekend of camping/wheeling, between SWANKy and AZXC we should have a good turnout. Already 8 trucks going!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 18/04/07 03:07 PM

It's only state trust land if you come in via Cottonwood Canyon, which we're not. No special permits are needed. Everything is BLM.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 18/04/07 09:55 PM

hahahaha copius and knob....two words that sound funny together lol anyway count me in, i will bring up the rear with a towstrap in hand! just kidding Im riding with Timmy!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 19/04/07 09:24 AM

Doesn't hurt anything for folks to invest the whopping $15 per year for s State Land permit tho: http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/rec_offroad_permit.htm

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 19/04/07 02:17 PM

Come on big spender, spring for the $20 family permit. laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 19/04/07 09:47 PM

Rinky you had better make it out to this run...NO EXCUSES!!
Posted by: Accasbel

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 24/04/07 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Xplore:
...Anyway, Bren's B-day is the wekend before, so copious amounts of Knob Creek and coke may be consumed at camp that eve....lol
[Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek]
Don't taint the Knob with Coke-a-Cola, drink it straight up, the way good whiskey was meant to be.

If you're bound and determined to mix, get something a little less refined, say Jack Daniels.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 24/04/07 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flawlessfab:
Rinky you had better make it out to this run...NO EXCUSES!!
I have many excuses! 1 - My 4Runner still needs the CV Boots done up front. 2 - My old house still isn't in sellable condition. If both aren't resolved before May 12th - I won't be there smile

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 24/04/07 12:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Rinky you had better make it out to this run...NO EXCUSES!!
I have many excuses! 1 - My 4Runner still needs the CV Boots done up front. 2 - My old house still isn't in sellable condition. If both aren't resolved before May 12th - I won't be there smile [/b]
Hey, as previously offered, I will be more than happy to help knock out a CV replacement with ya. We could get it done and still have plenty of time to drink beer and watch the Suns game. [drink]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 24/04/07 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Rinky you had better make it out to this run...NO EXCUSES!!
I have many excuses! 1 - My 4Runner still needs the CV Boots done up front. 2 - My old house still isn't in sellable condition. If both aren't resolved before May 12th - I won't be there smile [/b]
Hey, as previously offered, I will be more than happy to help knock out a CV replacement with ya. We could get it done and still have plenty of time to drink beer and watch the Suns game. [drink] [/b]
Swapping them out is no big deal - Could probably do it myself in 2 / 3 hours. My house is way more important than that right now, have to get a bunch of gravel delivered to landscape the front yard, then do some work on painting the windows / doors outside to make her look nice from the street. Got the Dinning Room / Kitchen tiled the last 2 weekends - Looks amazing, wish I had done it while I still lived there.

Will give ya a shout tho when I get a chance to spend a few hours on the 4Runner.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 30/04/07 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Accasbel:
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Xplore:
[b]...Anyway, Bren's B-day is the wekend before, so copious amounts of Knob Creek and coke may be consumed at camp that eve....lol
[Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek] [Freak] [Geek]
Don't taint the Knob with Coke-a-Cola, drink it straight up, the way good whiskey was meant to be.

If you're bound and determined to mix, get something a little less refined, say Jack Daniels.[/b]
LOL.....yeah i know...good sipping whiskey, but I am jsut too much a pantywaist to drink it straight up.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 09:01 AM

Tim, Scott, You guys still planning on doing this run? How do you feel about making this the official Xcursion since no one is going to MOAB this year?

I've had to cancel my plans to go to Moab, but I'm still taking a week off of work in the hopes that I'll be moving back into my house.

The 12th is going to be the only weekend in May that I'll be able to Off-Road. This weekend is out due to still not having my Rear-end replaced. The 20th I'm taking Terra on the Thomas the Train ride.

I'll make this suggestion at the Meeting tonight if you all don't mind.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 09:21 AM

Let's do it. Official May Xcursion is Florence Area/Box Canyon/Camping optional..?

We can vote tonite to make it official and what not.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 09:38 AM

Quote:
Let's do it. Official May Xcursion is Florence Area/Box Canyon/Camping optional..?

We can vote tonite to make it official and what not.
Cool, Thanks! I can't camp though.
Posted by: Desert Lady

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 10:10 AM

Um, is it still ok for SWANKy to join if it's an official excursion?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Lady:
Um, is it still ok for SWANKy to join if it's an official excursion?
Of course DL, I am not one of the BOD but the more the merrier when we offroad. Please make sure all SWANKY are invited. [ThumbsUp]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
Tim, Scott, You guys still planning on doing this run? How do you feel about making this the official Xcursion since no one is going to MOAB this year?

I've had to cancel my plans to go to Moab, but I'm still taking a week off of work in the hopes that I'll be moving back into my house.

The 12th is going to be the only weekend in May that I'll be able to Off-Road. This weekend is out due to still not having my Rear-end replaced. The 20th I'm taking Terra on the Thomas the Train ride.

I'll make this suggestion at the Meeting tonight if you all don't mind.
Wow, I get to go offroading and it is an official run. Yeehaa!!!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 11:04 AM

Cool, Yea, SWANKY is always welcome. You're a great bunch and we're honored to have you. [ThumbsUp]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 11:38 AM

Quote:
Cool, Yea, SWANKY is always welcome. You're a great bunch and we're honored to have you. [ThumbsUp]
x2. Hell yeah, all you crazy SWANKy kids better show.

This is gonna be a great trip. I am very excite!!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 12:48 PM

I know DR & I will be there. Was hoping to get a tranny cooler on my truck before the trip, but AAMCO sucks. laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 08:26 PM

I'm in laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 09:01 PM

I may be in, just won't know until last minute. :rolleyes:

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 04/05/07 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Lady:
I know DR & I will be there. Was hoping to get a tranny cooler on my truck before the trip, but AAMCO sucks. laugh
Gila river works pretty good as a Tranny cooler! smile

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 06/05/07 09:21 PM

Y'all twisted my arm, so Kiddo & I are in. laugh

Are we going to be able to have fires or there restrictions?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 06/05/07 09:33 PM

Fantastic!! From the looks of it we are going to have an awesome time.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 06/05/07 11:51 PM

I might not be there frown Bumping along on dirt road today I noticed some noticeable squeaking from left front suspension. Happens only on many small bumps, nothing during regular driving. Doesn't feel like too great of an idea to torture my X any more.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karlover007:
I might not be there frown Bumping along on dirt road today I noticed some noticeable squeaking from left front suspension. Happens only on many small bumps, nothing during regular driving. Doesn't feel like too great of an idea to torture my X any more.
If you you power spray all the dirt and dust from the suspension the squeaking will most likely stop.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 08:16 AM

Mikhail I'm sure it probably is the "Famous" Hood squeak from the adjusters.

I won't know if I can do this until the last minute, as I still have not got the X back from being repaired. :rolleyes:

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
Y'all twisted my arm, so Kiddo & I are in. laugh

Are we going to be able to have fires or there restrictions?
You'll be able to have a fire, but with daytime highs of 100 degrees, lantern light might be all you want.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 11:59 AM

BTW, JW will be out with us too with the satanic chihuahua, and Marshall may join us later in the day as well.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 06:50 PM

I can't make it, as I have to go to a graduation party for a coworker. On the bright side, I should receive my Shrock bumpers before the next Xcursion.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 07:29 PM

I'm not gonna be there. 4Runner isn't ready and have the final stuff to move out of my old place. Once it sells (Should be closing at the end of this month) I'll have alot more expendable income for toys and wheeling tho. So looking forward to a fun filled 2nd half of the year.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 07/05/07 11:21 PM

figures...

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 06:33 AM

I still plan on being there. Woohoo!!!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoldierX:
I may be in, just won't know until last minute. :rolleyes:
Hope you can make it SoldierX. I am looking forward to having a great weekend of wheeling & camping with this crazy group of AZ wheelers.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 07:02 AM

Supposed to get my X back today. If I can get another weekend project done this week or postpone it until next, I'll be in. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted by: NOSUP4U

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 08:12 AM

Ok, Shan, Kaelyn and I will be coming out and camping.

I also just got my tie rod ends in, so I'm hoping to bring them out and install them at the campsite. Adam, any thoughts on how long it will take without air tools, and what I need?

- jack/stands
- Normal sized wrenches
- Rubber mallet

Anything else special needed?

T-Ray, can you update your first post in the thread with the final details on where we are meeting, when, and what the general plan is for the weekend?

Thanks!!
Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 08:35 AM

Since you're not reusing the tie rod ends except for maybe a trail spare, I'd recommend picking up a pickle fork and or a BFH to use.

Are you sure you want to try and do that in the dirt and then drive it without an alignment coming home?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 10:33 AM

No, don't use a pickle fork.

I'll show you guys how to get them off.

Just need a 3lb hammer. No damage to TRE's that way.

You'll need a 22mm socket, a pair of pliers for the cotter pins, a 22mm wrench for the adjustors, and if you have stock adjusters, an 11mm wrench for those. Also, bring a tape measure so we can measure exactly where the adjuster nuts are...you can put it back togehter with the new ends with the same measurements, and you'll be really close on alignment. I'll explain to you how to set toe yourself when you get home, and you won't need a trip to the alignment shop.

Bust those adjuster nuts loose before removing the tierods. Bring WD40 or other penetrant.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 01:57 PM

Sweet! Mod day, Xcursion, and Camping all in one!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 07:21 PM

only people that wheel on a normal basis are going to this one lol t ray
Posted by: Yellow Gecko

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 08:59 PM

So here is what we are doing. If anyone would like to join just call 602-694-2047. We are going out to the waters edge, hopefully where Andy is thinking of camping, and setting up camp. Sat we will lounge around until everyone gets there. Then Sunday we will head out with everyone. We need good directions to the camping spot from the back way because we have a 2 wheel drive tundra coming out. See you all out there.
Posted by: Yellow Gecko

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 09:09 PM

Now that I have read all the posts I will reply again, more intlegantly. Any one that wants to establish a good meeting spot for Friday I am all in. We live in Surprise and should be ready by 630 at the latest that would put us in that area by 830 or so. Meeting spot anyone?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 08/05/07 09:22 PM

Sweet, I'm in for the mod day smile

Also, I have lifetime alignment, so we can just get it close. Thanks for the help all!

What is the terrain like where we are camping? Rocky, sandy? And its by water I hear?

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 08:07 AM

If the campspot I have in mind isn't taken, it's very sandy

Travis, is your 4wd pulling in the trailer, or is the 2wd Tundra doing it?

I don't think a 2wd truck will pull a trailer through the sand.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 09:58 AM

Bren and I def going, but prolly have to catch up Sat. I don't get outta work til 0800...trying to get someone to come in early. But looking forward to seeing everyone. cb17,frs 14 as always i assume?

never been out there, so will call trav to make sure I know where I am going

Putting Bren's Spacer lift/shackles on her Fronty Thurs (her b-day present), and the diff skid, so she is allll excited.

C u all out there.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 10:19 AM

104° guys - Take your swimming gear for a dip in the Gila! smile

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 10:40 AM

Quote:
Let's meet at the entrance to Box Canyon. As described above. If anyone needs more better directions lemme know.
Not so much directions as clarification.

It looks like from Hwy 79 I take Price Rd about 10 miles east to Box Canyon Rd.

Are we meeting at Price & Box Canyon or Hwy 79 & Price?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 11:43 AM

Okay dokey...

Meet at Price Road and Box Canyon at 0800.

Price Road is east of Hwy 79 just north of Florence. I plan on taking the 60 through AJ to Florence Juction to the 79 south to Price road east on Price to Box Canyon. If anyone gets lost, try my cell 480-251-7976.

FRS 14 sub 0
CB ch17

Plan to run Box Canyon, Cabins, Coke Ovens, then to Gila River to camp.

Bring some swim shoes/shorts and plenty of H20. Check all the fluids on your truckity trucks too!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 11:49 AM

2xplore...if you need help on Thurs with the fronty install holler at me, I have all afternoon off.

See ya out there! Gen1's unite! [Freak]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 12:20 PM

I'll be at Hwy 79 and price road at 8am. Box canyon is about 20-25 minutes in on Price Road from the highway. Not sure I can get there that early.

Those are the instructions posted on N4W as well.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 01:00 PM

Trav, I would like to camp on Fri. call me or I will see you tonight to work on your front bumper some more

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I'll be at Hwy 79 and price road at 8am. Box canyon is about 20-25 minutes in on Price Road from the highway. Not sure I can get there that early.

Those are the instructions posted on N4W as well.
Thats cool, Andy. I will obviously wait for you and anyone else before making way into the Canyon. See ya 'round 8-830am.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 05:59 PM

Not gonna make it boys and girls. Somethings have come up.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
Not gonna make it boys and girls. Somethings have come up.
Wait a minute - you started this whole thing so you've gotta go. There might even be something in the bylaws that says so. laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
[b]Not gonna make it boys and girls. Somethings have come up.
Wait a minute - you started this whole thing so you've gotta go. There might even be something in the bylaws that says so. laugh [/b]
Good one ....ya ya what he said laugh
Posted by: MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 09:08 PM

Ok... I just want to make sure I have this right.

Everyone is welcome to join? We meet at 8am on Sat at 79 and Price?

I'd like to tag along. I'll be running an X and my girl a Fronty if we are welcome that is. Still bone stock, haven't had them long enough to get parts in yet.

I havent ran the Box in years and last time was a 4x2 03 X... made it with only losing one side step too.

Looking forward to tagging along if all is well.

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 10:15 PM

I'd definately suggest removing step rails/mud flaps before the rocks do it for ya. wink

Otherwise the more the merrier. [ThumbsUp]

Sorry you can't make it Scott, I know how much you were wanting to go. frown

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 09/05/07 11:36 PM

Need sliders? I can build em! ask T-ray, CountachCruiser, DBAX and yellow gecko

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 03:08 AM

Quote:
Need sliders? I can build em! ask T-ray, CountachCruiser, DBAX and yellow gecko
Dude, I emailed every which way about the sliders! Do you check your email?
There is an empty spot on each side of my X just waiting for the sliders to get attached!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 06:56 AM

MadManX, you are more than welcome to join the AZXC & SWANKy crew this weekend. If you have an FRS radio or CB, great. If not I do have an extra FRS you can use.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone.

Yep got FRS radios. They are a life savor sometimes. Thanks for the offer there.

Sliders are about to be on order, along with alot of other parts. Been working out a deal with Shrock Works on getting full armor, bumpers, sliders, and winches for both trucks. I've read good things about thier work so figured I'd go all out before I do real damage.

Well that and I found out crossing the Verde River last weekend (on the second day in the new X) that the skid plates suck and I smashed in the front radiator skid. My old X (a 4x2 2003) at least had a steal plate in the front.

Well I look forward to meeting up this weekend. Not sure if I'll be camping but who knows... I might just have too much fun finally having a 4x4.

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 08:21 AM

Everyone please bring lots of cold water to drink. It's gonna be hot and we don't need anyone collapsing out there.

Also, a tarp for shade in the event of any breakage is a good idea too.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 08:52 AM

The NWS in Phx issued a Heat Wave advisory for today though Friday at 8PM. With expected highs at 104-105. I'm sure as usual this advisory will be extended though the weekend.

Lots of water, and BE VERY CAREFUL WITH FIRE. Last weekend coming back from the Verde River I had to report a spot fire along the side of the freeway, so burn restrictions are getting very close.

I'll try to have at least a couple gallons in the back of the Fronty... Won't be cold but is is better then nothing if someone runs out or it is needed for cooling off or cleaning up.

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 10:15 AM

I will be at Price/79 at 8am.

Does anyone have a 22mm socket they can bring? I have everything else I need I think except for that. I might do an oil change out there while I have it jacked up too just for kicks.

Thanks!
Mark

Edit: Found this in the Swanky thread:
The trailhead is just north of the town of Florence and about a mile from a gas station. Fill up there.

To get to the trail head - take US60 out to Florence Jct., exit, and go south on SR79 to Florence (about 15 miles). Price road is the gravel road that turns off immediately south of the railroad tracks (not the first RR crossing 5 miles down the road, but the second just north of the town of Florence). There's a Chevron station about a mile south of the turnoff on the other side of the Gila bridge.

It's about 13 miles on a dirt road to Box Canyon, Box is about a mile of 4 low. Then it's about 5 miles back to the cabins. Then another 5 miles or so back out to the Coke Ovens...another 1/2 mile down to the river, and it's about 15 miles back to Florence on Sunday morning (or Saturday night).

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 11:36 AM

I've got a 22mm socket in my toolbox in the truck.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 02:22 PM

I always carry 10 gallons of frsh, pure, clean, refreshing, municipal water.

From a heat standpoint I am leaving my dogs at home, some others may want to reconsider if bringing the furry, four-legged kids. They can get real warm fast driving around in the desert.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 06:38 PM

Since I am closer than the usual 100 miles to this, I am going to join you people on Saturday at 8 am at 79 and Price intersection (correct?)

Are the trails there nice enough for a slick like me (pun intended!) and in unmodified Xterra? *cough*need sliders*cough*

Or may be we can have more than one group, the crazies in one and the noobs/unmodified in the other? smile

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 07:39 PM

Well I'm about as stock as it comes... My X came from the dealer last Friday... This will be it's second outing. You can do the Box no problems. You just have to take things a little slow and you're all good. As for the side trails... I have no idea yet.

Oh... So this make you feel more comfortable, my last trip to the box was bout 3 years ago in a stock 4x2 SC X... On Thanksgiving. I made it threw with some encouragement of some jeep guys (they said they'd pull me out if i got stuck). I did find out that you can "jump" or "bounce" over anything. I lost my first sidestep that way. I also needed a little push from about 4 guys to make it out the last climb to freedom and flat roads. Other then that it was cake and well worth the drive. Tomorrow morning I'll be ordering a full armor set from Shrock Works for me so I can finally be stupid with a 4x4. Well don't take me litterly there. But yeah a stock 4x4 should do pretty well. Oh yeah... I've hiked all over the box every spring and autom, this will be my first time back this year though.

All the vertraiins, please correct me if the trails have changed though smile

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 10/05/07 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karlover007:
Since I am closer than the usual 100 miles to this, I am going to join you people on Saturday at 8 am at 79 and Price intersection (correct?)

Are the trails there nice enough for a slick like me (pun intended!) and in unmodified Xterra? *cough*need sliders*cough*

Or may be we can have more than one group, the crazies in one and the noobs/unmodified in the other? smile
Box Canyon / Coke ovens was my first every off road trail, needed a spotter in 1 or 2 places and managed to scrape my diff, but you should be good. Beware tho - you WILL get some pretty major AZ pinstriping on the way from Coke Ovens down to the river through an area of Trees / Brush.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 12:08 AM

Well I guess noone else is going to pre camp with us (travis, T-ray and his wife and me) We are actually leaving tommorow afternoon/evening to i guess reserve a large enough camp ground and set boobie traps for everyone on Sat evening.
Anyone interested give me a call or text at 623.418.4009. I think we are supposed to head out around 6 ish pm.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 07:21 AM

Well have fun all work called me and could not fill my shoes so i have to work saturday ! mad [Finger] mad Waldo/Onix

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 08:01 AM

BEWARE OF BOOBY TRAPS!!!!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 08:08 AM

Find that spot by the river just down stream from the RR tressle....if you can get to it, that's the best spot. It's got a nice sandy beach and there should be plenty of space

If you're coming in from Kelvin Hwy and taking the side road to the river, the spot I'm thinking of can be accessed by a side trail to the west down a sand wash (the same way you'd exit from the river crossing from the Coke Ovens). This sand wash is about 1/2 -3/4 mile from the river on the main road, if that makes sense.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 09:57 AM

I'm bringing my laptop if in case anybody wants to share pics & videos or listen to my music collection. laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 09:15 PM

See ya in the AM!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 09:18 PM

[Crybaby] wish i could go! [Crybaby]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 11/05/07 09:42 PM

See you guys in the morning. laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 12/05/07 08:19 PM

Pic of us camping in box canyon:

Oh wait, thats in our backyard tonight because the first half of the group lost track of 6 of us, and none of us knew where to go, and we got lost, ran into a dead end, and at 12:30 we were just barely past the end of box canyon, and weren't sure exactly where we were supposed to go. So Shan and I decided not to risk 5 more hours of driving with Kaelyn already getting restless and no sure end point in sight.

So 8 hours and 1/2 a tank of gas later we got back home and set up camp here. Oh well, smores were good smile

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 12/05/07 08:26 PM

Quote:
none of us knew where to go, and we got lost, ran into a dead end, and at 12:30 we were just barely past the end of box canyon, and weren't sure exactly where we were supposed to go.
[Spit]
eek
[Huh?]
[LOL]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 12/05/07 08:36 PM

We eventually found our way to US60 in (more or less) one piece.

I was the only one planning to camp, but with no spare (thanks to a 3" slice in my right rear sidewall) I wasn't about to head out on my own with no idea exactly where I was going.

Now I've got to do something about that hideous Rugged Trail on the back...

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 12/05/07 09:31 PM

Quote:
We eventually found our way to US60 in (more or less) one piece.

I was the only one planning to camp, but with no spare (thanks to a 3" slice in my right rear sidewall) I wasn't about to head out on my own with no idea exactly where I was going.

Now I've got to do something about that hideous Rugged Trail on the back...
Glad you guys made it out ok. I had a feeling that turnoff you guys took would eventually end up back at the 60.

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 12/05/07 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NOSUP4U:
Glad you guys made it out ok. I had a feeling that turnoff you guys took would eventually end up back at the 60.

Mark
Yep, thanks to GPS! I still can't believe that I can have a road on the map where a wrong approach to an uphill can take out my whole underside... not that I am complaining, I actually knew where we were going for once.

And I am always down for the second attempt!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 06:26 AM

Some great spotting of those under protected trucks Mark. [ThumbsUp]

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks, we still had fun. Thanks guys.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 08:55 AM

Quote:

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks, we still had fun. Thanks guys.
Thanks, its definitely a trail that can be done by a decent stock 4X4 with some good driving and good spotting. I'm more than slightly annoyed about the being ditched thing. I don't make it out to a lot of runs, and this is the second one in a row I've been on where a group has been left behind. Whatever happened to the 'never lose sight of the truck behind you' rule?

But it was still a fun day of wheeling. And I still have TRE's to put on, so if you're free anytime soon Adam let me know...

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 09:26 AM

I might have time this week, I say might because I don't know when exactly their going to turn the house over to us to move in. Call me if you are going to be able to drop by. Shouldn't take long to get them on.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 10:50 AM

Quote:

Very true, I appreciate all the help from you guys smile Certainly helped me from "modifying" my X any further!

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 12:11 PM

Quote:

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks.
Sorry Adam, but that's a bunch of crap. You offered to sweep after JW offered first. You had a CB, and we were not 400 yards away from that yellow arrow sign on the right fork for well over an hour waiting for you guys. Tim and Georgie both went looking for you guys down the way you apparently went and no one was answering the radios.

We always wait when the group gets split to get everyone back together. After doing 7 AZ runs with a group twice this size and not losing them, we've got a little experience here.

I hate it for you guys that you didn't get to finish the trail, but it's really important on a large group run to keep the truck ahead of you in sight. If they're not anymore, call out.

I also thought some of the crew had run the Coke Ovens before and knew where they were going. On future runs, we'll ensure someone who knows the trails is in the back.

Sorry your day got shot, but don't accuse us of ditching you. We wanted to run with you guys and share the camp last night. We sent people looking for you. We were constantly trying FRS and CB's to reach you. We didn't have phone service there, else we would have tried that too. I'm not sure what else we could have done. I still want to see that new Frontier on the trails to see how it does. All the SWANKY guys could see a truck in the mirror to the point where we stopped. I'm not sure who the last Xterra was that came up behind us, and there's no use pointing fingers.

If you guys would like (and don't take this the wrong way), but I'd be happy to come to one of the AZXC meetings and talk about trail etiquette, tactics, etc. for traveling in a large group. For some of the newer folks, it might be really helpful to them.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 02:42 PM

Sorry Ditching may have been a bit harsh. I think what the problem was is there were new people along with stock rigs that couldn't have taken the lines you traveled without seriously holding up the group.
I understand you guys and appreciate your being there, but it was our fault for having underprepared trucks with the overly ones. laugh
Next time if we want a diverse group we could have someone with the newbs who will lead/spot them to the destination.
I had no idea where to go and I thought I had a decent radio, but it failed me in the canyons, etc. I talked to Georgie at the first fork where we went left and one X got stuck. We were there for quite some time.
Either way I had fun and hope to run with you crazy guys again.
Adam

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 03:49 PM

DR, I don't think anybody meant to point fingers or assign blame. The slow going was to be expected with the stock(ish) trucks. The problem was that none of us knew where we were going. We also got some bad directions from some helpful dirtbikers. Maybe we need to post printable maps & directions for the Xcursions.

For me, the only thing better than overcoming an obstacle myself is seeing the look on somebody else's face when they defeat something they never thought they could. [ThumbsUp]

All you hardcore SWANKy guys (& gals) just aren't used to having stockers around. wink

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 04:33 PM

sounds like everybody got to a destination ....i dont here anybody talking about broken parts.so from what i have read. is that everybody was haveing a blast on saturday when i was freeken working .! mad [Crybaby] [Finger]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 04:35 PM

I so wanted to try out the new syspention lift/Rancho RS9000X ... [Crybaby]

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 04:43 PM

Quote:
I hate it for you guys that you didn't get to finish the trail, but it's really important on a large group run to keep the truck ahead of you in sight. If they're not anymore, call out.
Hey Andy, just my 2c - I agree the word ditched was harsh. Nobody felt like anyone just shot off ahead with no regard for us or whatever, and we knew you were probably doubling back and looking for us.

But I disagree a little with the 'keep the truck in front of you in sight' thing. Normally the reason the group gets split us is because someone less experienced gets hung up on something. Asking a newbie to be responsible for making sure they check for the truck ahead of them, while trying not to stress because they are holding up the group, and their truck is probably damaged, and they have to get unstuck, is a lot to ask someone a little inexperienced.

I do believe that is what happened this time. One of the stock vehicles got behind, and took the wrong side of a bypass, and we had to strap him off. We were trying to call with no response, we all had radios on I can assure you.

I'm definitely not the most experience of the group given we had some SWANKY guys out there, but I've been around longer than any other AZXCers and any run I've been on with any group, thats always been the case that you make sure the guy behind you is somewhere in the vacinity, ESPECIALLY when you come to fork in the road. I personally never even go past a small trail on the side of the road without making sure I know the guy behind me sees I'm staying on the main road.

Not trying to lecture anyone, as I said I know most of you guys are way more experienced than me. Just a little sensitive as I always stay back in the pack in case anyone needs help, and this is the second time in a row I've been split from the group ahead without knowing it...and of course this time I was woefully ill prepared for the trip without my GPS.

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 04:56 PM

i would have loved to see some swanky rides ...next time. cool

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 05:08 PM

Quote:
For some of the newer folks, it might be really helpful to them.
That's the problem for me right there - I am not an experienced off roader, I'm new to off roading and a little slower than most on the trails. I know that can be annoying to you guys in modded trucks who want to fly off into the distance, I've experienced that problem on pretty much every run I've been on. One of the reasons I got the 4Runner, so I can learn in a rig I don't care so much about hurting. Not that I was on this run, but I would have been holding up the rear with the other guys most likely if I was.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 06:45 PM

I'm pretty slow myself. My biggest problem is when I get out in the desert I completely lose all sense of direction so I never know where I'm going. I'm paranoid and if I haven't seen the person in front of me for longer than a few minutes, I call out on the radio for them to stop and wait for me - because I know that I will get lost! smile Never has anyone given me a hard time for it or anything.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 08:12 PM

Guys, we go slow too, and I am used to wheeling with stockers (AZ Runs?). We get stockish vehicles through some amazing stuff on those runs, and the run yesterday was well suited to stock vehicles.

Mark, good reply. You're probably right- there was too much of an expectation placed on the newbs, but hopefully this is the kind of stuff you guys teach newbs when they join the club. Yesterday proved how useful that little tidbit of knowledge can be.

In any event, it's all water under the bridge now and I'm looking forward to the next run.

And the offer does stand if you guys want to have some information etc. perhaps for a club handbook, I'd be happy to contribute.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 09:45 PM

Quote:
In any event, it's all water under the bridge now and I'm looking forward to the next run.
Ditto, and me too. Summer is here harsh already this year. Here's looking forward to some Sedona trails soon smile

Mark

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 13/05/07 10:57 PM

My 'stocker' comment was said with a wink & meant to be funny. wink No hard feelings.

I'm looking forward to the next run too, but I probably won't be able to make it back out until Fat Tire.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 08:02 AM

Ok... So nobody take me the wrong way just in case smile

I Was I think the lead of the ditched back for quite awhile. The fork, that I'm now pretty sure was the "right path" we all radio for directions, and two of use with to all the trucks to as for directions. It just turned out none of us had ran the coke ovens.

I was also the one hung up a bit down the wrong path. After some help we did pick up someone on the FRS and we were trying to get directions. We were told we were being waited on and that we went the right way. So off we continued.

Not being one on the people out to camp, I did have a good run though the box. I had two of the 3 stock trucks that ended up in our pack. I had a great time and next time I'm hunting down some GPS points along the trail smile Just in case ya know.

So for stuck trucks... The 3 of us only ended up with very minor dents and dings... Everything you'd expect from a trial of that type... Though I lost some blue paint on a rock, can't wait till my sliders arive. I've got a bunch of picks downloading now of our group... PM me if your interested. No garentees of whos trucks I got pics of though. And I don't think anyone took a pic of the 3" tire slit on one of the Non-Stocks smile

Well better luck next time is the way I look at it. It was still fun.

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 08:03 AM

Water under the bridge is right. I am going to get with Adam and see what we can do about getting a handbook put together or the old one copied for newbies.

A little more education/knowledge would hqve prevented the mishaps Saturday. In any case, if you are lost....STAY PUT! That is the golden rule.

Andy it was a fun day of wheelin' with you and the other SWANKy guys.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 08:40 AM

I think our biggest problem was... We didn't know we were lost until it was two late.

My hangup was after what I'm sure was the wrong turn and that is when we got someone on radio and told them as best we could where we were. We were told we were on track so we continued. Once we got to a part none of us could cross (about an hour latter), then we knew were were lost. And we had a tire to change.

It was just a miss comunication of where we were and where the front group was. We weren't very far off course when we were told to keep going forward.

I'm sorry for the two in our group that didn't get to camp. I would have gladly taken you guys the long was to the campsite, but no one wanted to take me up on the offer.

I know for my girl's first time taking her new truck on a real trail, she sure had a lot of fun.

Guess next time we get to a fork in the road I'm campin right there till I'm found smile But I am sure glad a couple vetrans were in our group. They kept the Fronty in once peice and me from getting stuck between the rocks.

-MadManX

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 10:53 AM

Get a Cobra 29 CB, tweak it and get a Wilson 1000 antenae.

That'll solve all your lost problems. Mine goes faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 02:29 PM

Here are the pics from Group 1's adventure. It was a HOT day, but good trail and good friends made it worth the trip. We almost saw reddog roll/flip his K5 down a hill, laughed at a Liberty stuck on the railroad tracks, evaded the PoPo by the river, and fixed Mud's torsion bar.

This is where Group 2 would have ended up if the turned right at the Yellow Arrow pointing Left.

Tested my new Flawless Custom Fab sliders on this boulder...worked...Flawlessly!

Toughest spot on the trail to Martinez Cabin. I kissed my driver front fender on the log sticking out, nice little dent. Would have been difficult for stock trucks.

Lunch time at Martinez Cabins.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 02:35 PM

The view at the Cabins.

On to the Coke Ovens.

Coke Ovens.

Crossing the Gila River. This K5 has 35" tires.

Brent's truck stalled in the middle. H20 in the distributer is no bueno.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 02:39 PM

You see the size of that bluefish I caught? laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 02:45 PM

The Jeep Liberty "Trail Rated". Not "Rail Rated". Yeah right.

The PoPo telling this group to go back after getting ID's and Plate #'s. Our rigs were down the hill out of sight, so we took off and played in the River. Before crossiing and going home... wink

RR track crossing. THe mysterious black cactus can only be found in this region... laugh
Stripped torsion bar anchor.

Receiving the Humpy Award.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 03:47 PM

Nice pics dude. Who was that who stripped the Torsion Bar Anchor?

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 03:52 PM

Steve aka MUD stripped his anchor.

That was a whopper of a fish Andy caught, had to use a 30,000lb test line to haul it out! Not much of a fight though, turns out it was dead in the water.

Check out N4W for the picture of reddog doing a wheel stand on the driver rear wheel, and coming VERY close to a long trip down a short hill.

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 04:54 PM

man great pics guys and it would have been nice to meet Red Dog again offroading instead of gameing with his pack and Egami .small world
Waldo/Onix laugh

Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence - 14/05/07 06:29 PM

[Crybaby] [Crybaby] [Crybaby] I really wanted to be there. Sorry guys and gals. [Crybaby]

PS Nice pics