Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly)

Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:15 AM

For those of you that have been the to past two GONEmoab event (or even if you have been to Moab just to wheel) you know about Hells Gate.

Well this year after cutting out from GOX on Thursday myself (with Ivan, Roger and Abiel) headed to Moab for a few trails before heading on our way home.

After starting Hells Revenge we got to Hells Gate and the look out. After I looked it over I decided that we could do it.

There were three trucks that completed the trail. Myself, Ivan and Roger. I have gears. Both Ivan and Roger do not and none of us have lockers.

Here are the pics.

Starting up

I'm at the top..
[Finger]

Ivans turn..

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:16 AM

Rogers turn..

None of us (with the correct line) so much as lifted a tire. Thanks to Abiel for taking the pics as we were too busy driving laugh
Posted by: GeorgiaXterra

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:19 AM

very nice, VERY NICE!

greg
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:23 AM

Congrat's to the three of you.

I've sat at the top watching the rubicon's - pre-release including the Long Wheel Base model on this trail.

You'll have to drive faster next time. laugh

Did you do Tip-Over Challenge? I'll want to do this again sometime and see if I can make it up again, without damage though.

Todd

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:38 AM

We played on tip-over for a little bit. I tried a few times with no luck. Ivan almost made it. We did not feel like messing with it too much so we just took the bypass.

Now that is one that a locker would make a world of difference.
Posted by: CALMINI Products Inc.

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

Whooose the convict looking goon with the Dew Rag?
Posted by: XOC

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:32 AM

Nice driving.
Good to have Ivan in there for reference of the scale and angle of it.
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:34 AM

The goon would be me. The face I am making is half reaction to bright sun. The other half is oh crap I am next.

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CALMINI Products Inc.:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

Whooose the convict looking goon with the Dew Rag?
Sorry, I meant porky guy with the Aunt Jemimah Hat.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:50 AM

Veddy nice!

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:51 AM

That is some tough talk for the calmini chef. I saw quite a bit of extra stuffing this year.

The resemblance is startling.

Posted by: babyX

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:57 AM

Too bad those nasty black streaks were left behind on the rocks. Would make for some gorgeous scenery without them.
Posted by: RedX

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 09:00 AM

Nicely done, chaps.

cool

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
That is some tough talk for the calmini chef. I saw quite a bit of extra stuffing this year.

The resemblance is startling.

Shit! I'm fatter than Ivan! I'm gonna go hang myself!
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
Too bad those nasty black streaks were left behind on the rocks. Would make for some gorgeous scenery without them.
:rolleyes: You should pay attention to your own signature. That was very weak. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 01:44 PM

Quote:
I sense a troll...

Life is compromise... we damage nature everyday with construction, mining, emissions, consumption, disposal etc. Basically, you wouldn't have any of the nice things that you have without somebody out there carving up the earth.

The people who understand this, yet have enough of a conscience to want to protect the earth, try to minimize their impact while still enjoying their lives.

That is EXACTLY what these guys did... they enjoyed some great offroading - testing their limits as well as the limits of their vehicles - and they used an established rock trail to do it. This is what Tread Lightly is all about... wheeling in the right places, in the right way - rather than just tearing off through the woods knocking over saplings and digging big ruts.
[Save the fine unicorns]

Awesome - AWESOME pics
Posted by: Powerguy38

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 02:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah and if you would stop breathing, there would be more oxygen for me. [Crybaby]
Posted by: UTJMAC

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 04:27 PM

Sweet trip and great pics guys! Now one of these days, I can trailer the Heep out there and hopefully run the same trails. I was in Fla alll last week and all I could think about was Moab this time last year....well.. that and where the next beer was.

John
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 04:28 PM

Hell's Gate looks great! Do you think a stock x could make it up? I do have some engine mods, but suspension is stock. Also, do you guys have a pics of your snorkels in use? I love doing water runs and I'm contemplating the snorkel purchase. I should be at XOC next year! Too much fun not to be had!

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 04:32 PM

Great pics Abiel and Kudos on the good driving guys, next year(or even for GONEMOAB) count me in. Ivan, you get your hub yet? [Smoking]

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 06:09 PM

For any X rock sliders are a must to get down to the obstacle without damage. We all touched our sliders even roger with the 3+2 lift. Not to mention the fact that we were all running 32 inch tires. A stock suspension would have a tougher time but I don't think it would be impossible. Agressive tires are a definite must have though. During this obstacle I learned what those aggressive lugs on the sides of our tires are for.
Posted by: bn300

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 06:18 PM

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now!
Ivan, you've been OWNED! [Spit]

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 06:19 PM

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now!
Ivan, you've been OWNED! [Spit]

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 06:20 PM

hey bill how are ya man didn't see ya at gox where were you?
Posted by: UTJMAC

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 07:26 PM

Ivan, did you get a new hood graphic?

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:10 PM

Um, because I don't own an X and I had to go hunting and because I haven't really wheeled my Jeep and because I didn't want to embarrass you (again) and because I...
Not sure why I wasn't there really. No X, mostly.
Looks like you had fun.
More pics please.
smile
Posted by: Mosi

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:35 PM

Hey Bill, Mindie and I are going to GOX5 "The Reunion Tour".. We are going to try and find a rental car company that rents Xterras.....

"Sir, will you be needing our insurance coverage on your rental"

"Oh yes, cuz I'm gonna beat the hell out of it!"
Posted by: off2cjb

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:39 PM

Sick, sick, sick!!! Congrats gentlemen. That seems to be quite the accomplishment.

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 08:39 PM

So, someone said I'd "Mosi'd" my exhaust tip. Nice to know ya'. [Smoking]

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 09:19 PM

Mosi,
A gal I work with w/was in Denver last year and rented an X, shouldn't be a problem.
Howeveer, I have driven the TJ off road and "tasted the other side". I'm afraid I could not go back. Except for the on road discomfort, a little rough. I'm sure you understand since you own a Rover. You still own it, right?
A reunion tour would probably cause some divorces and liver problems. [Uh Oh !] Let me know when to be there! [Smoking]

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
So, someone said I'd "Mosi'd" my exhaust tip. Nice to know ya'. [Smoking]
Glad I could help your truck out!

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 08/09/03 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bn300:
Mosi,
A gal I work with w/was in Denver last year and rented an X, shouldn't be a problem.
Howeveer, I have driven the TJ off road and "tasted the other side". I'm afraid I could not go back. Except for the on road discomfort, a little rough. I'm sure you understand since you own a Rover. You still own it, right?
A reunion tour would probably cause some divorces and liver problems. [Uh Oh !] Let me know when to be there! [Smoking]
Yep.. still have the white whale. Flying into Denver to rent an X seems like a plan to me! Better than renting it in Portland and making the long ass drive! Or we may just drive the Acura and ride shotgun with some of the crazy fools... then on the way back home, stop in Moab and rent one of those TJs with lockers laugh
Posted by: chupasierras

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 13/09/03 09:31 AM

heep video

is Hells Gate, right?

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 13/09/03 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Abiel Guerra:
heep video

is Hells Gate, right?
correct

Re: Hells Gate - pics (not dial up friendly) - 13/09/03 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser442:
Quote:
[b]Too bad those nasty black streaks were left behind on the rocks. Would make for some gorgeous scenery without them.
I sense a troll...

Life is compromise... we damage nature everyday with construction, mining, emissions, consumption, disposal etc. Basically, you wouldn't have any of the nice things that you have without somebody out there carving up the earth.

The people who understand this, yet have enough of a conscience to want to protect the earth, try to minimize their impact while still enjoying their lives.

That is EXACTLY what these guys did... they enjoyed some great offroading - testing their limits as well as the limits of their vehicles - and they used an established rock trail to do it. This is what Tread Lightly is all about... wheeling in the right places, in the right way - rather than just tearing off through the woods knocking over saplings and digging big ruts.
[Save the fine unicorns]

Awesome - AWESOME pics[/b]

Be nice guys. This is a common misconception and it simply needs to be explained in a way to encourage people to embrace 4 wheeling.
My g/f said the same thing at Hungry Valley. I looked at her and said, "Honey, we're in a OHV."
It's a different world, encourage people to take part and do it right.
Great pics.