It's finally out !!!

Posted by: XOC

It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 12:44 PM

Cool !

The GOX article is finally in 4WD and SUV Magazine !!!
Posted by: UTJMAC

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 12:55 PM

In the stores or online? Cant wait to see it!
John

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 12:57 PM

To subscribers as far as I know.
Tynan's Nissan just called and told me they got a copy.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 01:30 PM

Might want to mention this in the General forum, I almost missed it since I don't keep up with this forum very often.

Brent
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 01:44 PM

Which magazines? I'm not familiar with either of those names but I'm new to the whole 4 wheeling thing. smile
Posted by: xterra2k

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Might want to mention this in the General forum, I almost missed it since I don't keep up with this forum very often.

Brent
using »Today's Active Topics« will help with keeping up.
Posted by: Mosi

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 03:28 PM

June or July issue?
Posted by: steinism

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 03:33 PM

yeah i just receive my copy of 4WD in the mail and i'm looking at it now. very cool! there's shots of ian, sgt. lobo with a great flex shot, chris mccracken, schludwiller and a few others i don't recognize. enjoy.
Posted by: Mosi

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 03:45 PM

M'kay, so what month?

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosi:
M'kay, so what month?
july vol. 18/ number 07
Posted by: XterrAZ

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 05:12 PM

That's great news Ian, can't wait to see it.

The bad news is, I thought when I saw the topic it was the GOX II video frown

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 05:27 PM

Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 05:30 PM

Is there a way to post this for all to see/read? for those of us who do not subscribe (or can this be picked up at the local Borders books?

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_xterra:
Is there a way to post this for all to see/read?
No, there would be copyright issues.
Even my two little pictures could be a problem.

Seriously, support the magazine, go spend $4.99 for a copy at the grocery store. It should be out in a week or so.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/ should have the article up on their site soon as well.
Posted by: MOLTAR

Re: It's finally out !!! - 09/05/02 06:25 PM

very very very f'ing coooool.
Posted by: wqbang

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 07:31 AM

1.8 years later..... smile This is excellent coverage for the Xterra 4 wheeling community. Hopefully this article will capture the attention of other aftermarket manufactures.

...and what would an Xterra article be without a few PNWX'ers? laugh

Kudos to 4WDSU Magazine for thinking outside of the Jeep/Toyota box. They regularly have articles about Toyotas, Rovers, Suzukis, Binders, and Broncos and now Nissans! I think they also boast the fewest showtrucks per issue of any offroad magazine!
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 07:44 AM

Cool! Look forward to reading it. wq!- Its only .8 years later, its last years GOX if I'm in it. 4WDSU has always been my fave, less "junk" in it.
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 08:13 AM

Is that the whole article - the three pages?

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
Cool! Look forward to reading it. wq!- Its only .8 years later, its last years GOX if I'm in it. 4WDSU has always been my fave, less "junk" in it.
chris the shot that they say is you is head on and without your ARB.
Posted by: Schludwiller

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 11:13 AM

Sweet! Is that my truck in the bottom left picture? Mosi said there was a picture of me going up the wall.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
1.8 years later..... smile
Actually, only 8 months. This was last Labor Day.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Sweet! Is that my truck in the bottom left picture? Mosi said there was a picture of me going up the wall.
Yes it is, and that's Mosi alongside in the next frame.
Posted by: wqbang

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
[b]1.8 years later..... smile
Actually, only 8 months. This was last Labor Day.[/b]
I assumed it was GOX I, and not II
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
chris the shot that they say is you is head on and without your ARB.
Heh, my truck will look like a midget compared to how it looks now. smile
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: It's finally out !!! - 10/05/02 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mosi:
[b]M'kay, so what month?
july vol. 18/ number 07[/b]
July? It's not even mid-May yet! [Huh?] [LOL]
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: It's finally out !!! - 11/05/02 04:29 PM

Kick Ass! Well I almost got in the article~~~
Posted by: ned946

Re: It's finally out !!! - 22/05/02 10:32 PM

BONUS!

And its just in time for the 2003 redesigned Xterra wussmobile (didn't I see discussion about the Xterra whimpmobile from some "insider"?) [Freak]
Posted by: Powerguy38

Re: It's finally out !!! - 26/05/02 02:33 PM

Hey. I made the magazine! Here is the photo I took looking up the trail when they took the one looking down. In the magazine I'm the little black X near the bottom a little ways behind the white X in this photo. Cool! laugh
Posted by: Xcrement

Re: It's finally out !!! - 26/05/02 04:27 PM

Well I'm pissed. I went to every store around trying to find this mag and no luck. Would someone be willing to send me a copy. I will be happy to pay for the trouble. Please send me a PM if you can help.
Posted by: bn300

Re: It's finally out !!! - 26/05/02 07:07 PM

And I'm the first red X in line. Someone PLEASE email me the article/pics. I'll never find the mag here in flat country. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Sgt_Lobo

Re: It's finally out !!! - 27/05/02 06:34 PM

Too cool, I got the largest pic! laugh

Re: It's finally out !!! - 27/05/02 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt_Lobo:
Too cool, I got the largest pic! laugh
Look at the first page again, with a tape measure laugh
Posted by: Sgt_Lobo

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 06:46 AM

Okay, group photo not included in my previous statement...
Posted by: MOLTAR

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 08:56 AM

yeah, your pic might be larger, ian... but loooook at lobo's articulation! wink
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 12:42 PM

Articulation - now didn't someone think that the RTI scores was so important.

We played one night with a ramp off a trailer. There were pictures showing Sgt. Lobo's X with the revolvers, body and suspension lift. All combined into a scary combination. The vehicle did not do as well as a vehicle with just a suspension lift.

Just wanted to point that detail out to those who did not sit around the gravel lot last fall.
Posted by: Powerguy38

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 01:15 PM

Quote:
We played one night with a ramp off a trailer. There were pictures showing Sgt. Lobo's X with the revolvers, body and suspension lift. All combined into a scary combination. The vehicle did not do as well as a vehicle with just a suspension lift.
Are you talking about these photos I took after the chili cookout? laugh

Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 01:34 PM

Powerguy38,

Those be the one's I remember.

The articulation has plenty of room to unfold, but the "pucker factor" came into play long before the revolvers opened up.

I was one of the guy's giving 'support' to sgt lobo on the downhill side of the truck.

Todd -
Posted by: electrobuzz

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 03:16 PM

Nice little article. Me and th' missus hope to be able to make it this year! Maybe it will stir a little more in the aftermarket parts area, too. Great pics, everyone!

A minor Colorado slip by the author -- "The next day our group headed up Imogene Pass. At an elevation of 13,114 feet, it is the second highest peak in Colorado." Peak? No. There are 54 14000'+ peaks in Colorado. 2nd highest pass, maybe? I don't think so -- I believe at least Argentine and Mosquito are higher. Whatever, no biggie.

Good to see the press on a vehicle that deserves the attention. And on the people that blaze the trail in her!
Posted by: Fletch

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 07:28 PM

As a comparison for the other two trucks, the Bronze had completely stock suspension and still had both sway bars connected at the time of those pictures.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch:
As a comparison for the other two trucks, the Bronze had completely stock suspension and still had both sway bars connected at the time of those pictures.
Ahhh yes, but take note young grasshopper laugh

The first two X's are lengthening their drivelines, which can lead to failure. The first two are also more severly twisting and arching the leaves of the suspension.

The Revolvers twist to remove some of that stress and the hinge forward. That's right sports fans, they shorten the driveline length and reduce the chance of driveline separation.

Plug some longer shocks in and see some real articulation! eek

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
The first two X's are lengthening their drivelines, which can lead to failure.
Sorry Ned, it doesn't work that way.
On the side of the axle that droops, the shackle swings forward. On the stuff side, the shackle flattens out. The drive shaft is centered between the springs resulting in very little driveline extension. Driveshafts have slip joints in them for this very reason, and it is not a concern with such a small lift.

Lobo's rear tire is off the ground and hanging about 3 inches lower than mine when you compare the pictures, but he has a 3" body lift, so there really isn't that much of an improvement over the National spring pack.
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: It's finally out !!! - 28/05/02 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerguy38:
Hey. I made the magazine!
Me too!

As soon as I saw the article I flipped through all my Xterra pictures and found one identical to yours except viewed from on Xterra forward. laugh

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 07:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The first two X's are lengthening their drivelines, which can lead to failure.
Sorry Ned, it doesn't work that way.[/b]
Note: Ian the Revlover never flattens out.

Point two: I doubt the Xterra driveline was produced with articulation in mind. I doubt the slip joint was designed for what we are doing.

Point three: What is limiting his articulation? I would speculate it is the shocks. In this case, the Revolvers are not the limiting factor. Proper shocks and shock placement is necessary to fully exploit the shackles.
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 08:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]The first two X's are lengthening their drivelines, which can lead to failure.
Sorry Ned, it doesn't work that way.[/b]

Point two: I doubt the Xterra driveline was produced with articulation in mind. I doubt the slip joint was designed for what we are doing.

Point three: What is limiting his articulation? I would speculate it is the shocks. In this case, the Revolvers are not the limiting factor. Proper shocks and shock placement is necessary to fully exploit the shackles.[/b]
So the oh shit factor will go up even more? Why would you want to transfer EVEN MORE body weight and risk tipping the truck over on its side easier? I know we have gone round for round on this before but until the front suspension of the X is close to the amount of travel in the rear(a balanced suspension) I would not recommend Revolvers to anyone.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 08:09 AM

It would have been nice for EOE to also be mentioned in the article along with the other suppliers, I have been the only one to show up both years! [Finger]

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 09:16 AM

Quote:

It has to, otherwise you couldn't compress the spring pack. All shackles have to rotate backward from the spring pack under compression, that's what I mean by flattens out.

Mine has plenty of travel in the slip joint.

Point three: What is limiting his articulation? I would speculate it is the shocks. In this case, the Revolvers are not the limiting factor. Proper shocks and shock placement is necessary to fully exploit the shackles.

What are the proper shocks ?
What is the proper placement ?

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 07:29 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]
What are the proper shocks ?
What is the proper placement ?
Proper shocks refers to shock length (you do need a longer shock for more articulation). Also, as I'm sure you know, more angle from the axle to the frame will allow a longer shock and more axle travel.

Don't forget Ian, any stock truck leaf compression (or flatten out as you call it) is equal to the revolver compression. I don't understand the significance of this point.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 08:43 PM

Quote:
Don't forget Ian, any stock truck leaf compression (or flatten out as you call it) is equal to the revolver compression. I don't understand the significance of this point.
The significance is that the driveline extension you claim, is not an issue, and Revolvers won't solve a problem that really doesn't exist.

I have 14 inches of rear wheel travel, and the slip joint hasn't fallen out of the transfer case yet.

Go measure yours and tell me what the Revolvers give you (jack the whole truck off the ground and measure bumpstop to axle).
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: It's finally out !!! - 29/05/02 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
It would have been nice for EOE to also be mentioned in the article along with the other suppliers, I have been the only one to show up both years! [Finger]
Yeah! WTF?

Winch works great Todd!!!!!
Posted by: Alpine Hoy

Re: It's finally out !!! - 30/05/02 05:50 PM

Purchased my issue today at the Dover AFB BX. Good article. We need to have a big GOX on the east coast. I would be happy to attend. Have a big campout, etc. Would be a good time. Peace.

Re: It's finally out !!! - 30/05/02 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Hoy:
Purchased my issue today at the Dover AFB BX. Good article. We need to have a big GOX on the east coast. I would be happy to attend. Have a big campout, etc. Would be a good time. Peace.
There already is, it's the weekend of July 13th at Paragon Adventure Park in Pennsylvania. www.ECXC.com

Re: It's finally out !!! - 31/05/02 12:24 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ned946:
[qb]The significance is that the driveline extension you claim, is not an issue.
The greater the articulation, the greater the issue may become. Not to say it is an issue, but another degree of performance improvement; which it is. You are correct though, stockers like yourself shouldn't have a problem; your articulation is too limited. I guess I still don't see any reason for your comments however.

That's all I have to say.

If you need any more convincing, just look at the pics! :rolleyes:

Re: It's finally out !!! - 31/05/02 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
I would not recommend Revolvers to anyone.[/QB]
Ha ha ha.....good one! Kinda like I won't recommend your tie bars to anyone....how many of those have broken? [Laughing]
Posted by: Ramness

Re: It's finally out !!! - 17/06/02 05:21 AM

tried to get a copy, every place I went was out/ didn't carry. Found August last night though... any one got a july copy they don't want?
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: It's finally out !!! - 17/06/02 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:
tried to get a copy, every place I went was out/ didn't carry. Found August last night though... any one got a july copy they don't want?
I think I say one at teh grocery store last night. I'll check on the way home if you want and pick one up for you. Let me know.