Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing...

Posted by: apwired

Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 21/08/02 01:12 AM

Does anyone out there have plans to do anything "other" than drive the awesome trails of Colorado? I know, I know what y'all are saying..."not drive @ GOX?"
Well some people use there Xterra to GO places aside from travel though places.
Specifically, I remember last year Caver-X and company had gone rock climbing.... anyone planning to do the same? I want to join in on the fun.... smile

-alfonse
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 21/08/02 06:25 AM

I no longer have an Xterra, so I won't be attending, but I have a pretty good amount of info about some routes out there. I could even loan you the guidebook I bought if you want. Let me know soon, though, so I can mail it to you before you leave.
Posted by: koalakilla

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 21/08/02 08:49 AM

I wont be at GOX, but if Santa Fe, NM is anywhere near your driving plans I could show you a few spots in white rock

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 21/08/02 02:11 PM

Wow, well first of all thanks for the responses... and second that explains why I couldn't find any recent or even old posts from you Chris.... Thanks for the offer of the book, that would be awesome, If you mean it, I'll PM you my address and maybe someone else attending will still respond and wanna join ME instead.

Santa Fe would absolutely be on my way to/from GOX had I more time to do it this year... frown I keep your offer in mind for future treks though, thanks koalakilla.
-alfonse

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
I no longer have an Xterra, so I won't be attending, but I have a pretty good amount of info about some routes out there. I could even loan you the guidebook I bought if you want.
Posted by: davruns

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 22/08/02 11:22 AM

I'll bring my shoes.
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 23/08/02 02:06 PM

apwired- The guidebook is en route to you. It should arrive no later than Tuesday. The area I went climbing at is the Ophir Wall. It is just outside the town of (you guessed it) Ophir. It takes a little while to get there from Ouray, so leave early. It consists of a very large rock face getting shorter as it moves to the right into a small canyon. The climbs on the main face are all multi-pitch (its REALLY tall), but in the small canyon there are numerous climbs (single and multi-pitch) of all skill levels. Bring your Powerbar's (or something energetic) because the approach to the walls is a long, steep talus slope at a high altitude (I felt like I was climbing Everest). After a day of climbing up there, though, you feel on top of the world (and the Guinness never tastes better). Have fun!

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 24/08/02 12:05 AM

Thanks for the tips..!
Last year you had posted pix your climbing xcursion, if you remember the posts, is that the place?

smile
-alfonse

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 26/08/02 07:18 PM

JUST got the book in the mail today chris, thanks! can't wait to look it over...
smile
-ap
Posted by: bn300

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 28/08/02 08:02 PM

Some others and I took a break from the road/trail last year and checked out the Bachleor/Syracuse Mine gig in Ouray. I'm sure I phucked up the spelling, but you'll figure it out when you get in town.
Don't forget to pick up some Mexican Lager! Good stuff I hear. [Wave]
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 28/08/02 10:27 PM

There is also another fine brew that you should try out.

Posted by: Devin

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 28/08/02 10:56 PM

me and my bud are bringing mtn bikes. i figure we can drive and ride while we're there.
Posted by: Scott

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 29/08/02 08:16 AM

Devin - I've Mountain biked Engineer Pass, Cinammon Pass, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, and Ophir Pass. Look me up (Comfort Inn Monday night - Friday night) if you want any info on how each of those is from a riding perspective.

Scott & Laurie Allan
Posted by: Devin

Re: Rock crawling? Nah, rock climbing... - 29/08/02 11:05 PM

cool, see ya there.