Steroids in the NFL

Posted by: Anonymous

Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 05:31 AM

They found out that 2 current and 1 former Carolina Pussycats players used steroids during their Superbowl run 2 seasons ago. What's everyones opinion on steroid use in the NFL? Is the NFL well policed or are we going back to the Lyle Alzado days?
Posted by: Lincoln

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 05:58 AM

I think they are pretty strict and they will probably impose even stricter standards now.

They are far ahead of joke ass Baseball, that's for sure.

One more thing....a punter taking steroids??? Give me a break!
Posted by: Smith

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:

I'm not surprised that Sauerbrun is on them. Have you ever seen how big he is? He's pretty much done as a Panther, he just had a DUI a while back and now this.
Mitchell is the surprising one to me, and the team really needs him. I think he stays due to the fact that he's never caused any other problems.
The story airs on 60 Minutes tonight.
Posted by: Tonka Ross

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smith:
The story airs on 60 Minutes tonight.
Great. Now the cornerstone of ethical reporting is going to take pot-shots at football.

CBS needs to turn that fucking camera on itself and do some investigative reporting. Christ, what's next...

I just hope Dan Rather is in charge of the interview. Man, he's soooooooooo unbiased, he's the only one I really trust at that network. :rolleyes:

I'll watch just so I can rip it to shreds tomorrow around the water cooler.
Posted by: Ramstein92

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PHILADELPHIA X:
What's everyones opinion on steroid use in the NFL?
First off, McNabb is overrated. smile

Players in the NFL use 'roids. That being said, the NFL has a very strict policy that deters wide spread use. Sure some will use it (no policy is 100% effective), but those who are caught will be crucified.

s
Posted by: NismoXse02

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 06:57 AM

I thought the drug policy was 4 times in the NFL and you're out for the year? Not only that, but there is no public notice until then. Does steroids have their own seperate rules in the NFL from other drugs?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 07:01 AM

Here's the story web page .

2nd on the McNabb comment. :p

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 07:06 AM

I thought the NFL - for 'roids' - was 4 times and you are GONE. Related news: ESPN today reported that in the new CBA the owners want the PU to agree to Olympic rules on 'roids (once = two year ban, twice = forever).

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 07:37 AM

So if that's the case, the NFL's policy is actually a joke and the MLB is actually better. Public notice for the first offense makes much more sense to me. I prefer everyone knowing that they juiced instead of simply keeping it quiet until the violate the policy 4 times. Having both public notice and kicking them out right away like the Olympics would be great, but I think we're years away from any of that happening in our major sports.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 07:43 AM

From NFL.com

Each year, the NFL tests for recreational drugs. Players are given a specified date and plenty of advanced warning. If a player fails a test for recreational drugs, he must have a serious addiction problem. Even if he fails the test, he is given a second test before he is suspended. The league treats recreational drug use as a medical issue and wants to get the player some help at that point.

That is not the case with steroids. The NFL has taken a much tougher stance here. On the first positive, a player is suspended for four games. He is suspended for six games following a second positive, and a third positive will result in at least a one-year suspension.

The reason for this is to maintain the competitive balance in the league. If players were using steroids, there would be a temptation for non-users to try steroids in an effort to compete physically. The NFL is setting this tough standard to keep players on a level playing field and to protect them from themselves.

Players cannot return to the field until they test clean and are cleared for play.

Strict liability for players who test positive. Violations are not excused because a player says he was unaware that a product contained a banned substance.

It also goes on to say each week year round, five players FROM EACH TEAM are chosen at random for testing.

Faaaaaar better than baseball, and second, IMHO to the Olympics.

Annnnd (sorry, there is a lot to talk about here) when THG was discovered and added to the banned list, the NFL back tested samples for it. In other words, if you were taking it before it was 'banned', you still could be suspended. (Becasue it was a designer drug crafted to avoid detection) Try that on Mr Bonds.

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 08:01 AM

Still, I'd rather have them ratted out to the public. I'm more for exposing the cheaters instead of suspending them. Public exposure is a far worse "suspension" than anyone will have by simply sitting out games. Football players get injured all the time and can just say they are out 4 weeks with some sort of injury.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 08:07 AM

Romo and 3 (?) others were outed for THG.

This made the news: In the "no way!" category this week, we have the announcement that Dolphins WR David Boston has been suspended for four games for anabolic steroids.

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 08:13 AM

So they do "out" the players. Or is it only if the team or NFL want to?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 08:14 AM

Players are outed for 'roids, not 'drug' use. Reason being is drug usage is seen as a 'personal' problem, while 'roids are a competition issue.

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 08:35 AM

Cool. As long as they are "outed" for the first offense then yes... it is definitely better than MLB.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 09:38 AM

I am suprise PhilyX and his overwhelming knowledge of the spoting world (inside Penn. that is) has not freaked out about the McNabb comment [LOL]

So does this mean that the NFL will get congress to probe into their history and try to ruin the reputations of people like Emmitt Smith, Bruce Smith, Jerry Rice and other great players who excelled at the game like no others?

I say McNabb and Dante should be the first 2 grilled by congress [LOL]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy:
I am suprise PhilyX and his overwhelming knowledge of the sporting world (inside Penn. that is) has not freaked out about the McNabb comment [LOL]

I say McNabb and Dante should be the first 2 grilled by congress [LOL]
You got my number Hoppy. I just concentrate on my local favorite teams. Let's just say I have turned a new leaf on the McNabb issue. McNabb is still #1 in my book and everyone here knows that. If you don't know, just do a search on McNabb and you'll see the abuse I have to go thru. Plus, you [Rainbow] 's just want to get me mad .

I have a question. How many players in your favorite NFL team do you think use steriods?

I really hope none of the Eagles are dumb enough to cheat like that. I want to say zero players but I'm going to say 2. #20 and #78

Andy Reid is going to visit my job tommorow. I'll ask him when he comes in.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 10:14 AM

Quote:
#20 and #78
You forgot #81.

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 10:17 AM

T.O. is a beast and it would really disappoint me if it was true. I hate to admit it but I have to change my number to 3. #20, #78 and #81.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 10:53 AM

I am with PhilyX here, T.O is a tank, but I think he earned his truthfully. He learned from the best football player EVER in SF (Jerry Rice) and learned how to prepare for games metally and physically from Rice. I would be more inclined to grill McNabb then T.O myself.

And yes PhilyX, we are all out to get you wound up becauase it is fun and so easy [Laughing] ......it is also very obvious how loyal of a fan you are to the Philly teams......to a fualt even, as tunel vision is obvious!

I am pretty confident that none of the players on my favorite football team did not use steriods because they only thing the 49ers won this year was #1 pick in the draft :rolleyes: ......basically I am saying if any of them were on roids that they need to buy the better ones cause the whole team sucked ass! [Crybaby]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 11:28 AM

I wouldn't say tunnel vision Hoppy. I would say 100% support. The Eagles are a SuperBowl contender team. The Soul is a mediocre football team. The Flyers are locked out. The Phantoms have won AHL championships in the past. The 76ers are not going anywhere with Jim O'Brien and/or Allen Iverson. I love the Phillies and the Phillies love to disappoint me. The Wings have cool looking jerseys. Total support is what they get from me whether they are good, bad or sorry.
Posted by: Trihead

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 11:41 AM

See kids, the owners/coaches/player really don't want drug testing. The owners/coaches/players want bigger stronger faster employees. They could give two shits about the health of the players as long as the are on the field come Sunday. Outwardly they will preach a clean sport but know that if the guy on the other side of the line is juiced they want their guys juiced. That is why testing is done a minimal levels and the test are not that hard to beat.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 11:55 AM

I agree with Trihead totally ...... pretty sad what pro sports will do to make money [ThumbsDown]

PhilyX, I support my favorite teams good or bad as well, but I sure wouldn't pick the 49ers to win the superbowl ........ they have as much chance as say ... the Pirtates winning the world series .......

And I am a big fan of AI myself ...... he is an idiot but being a lifelong basketball player I love watchign him play ... but he won't win a title for Philly with Webber that is for sure ... maybe Shaq.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 12:23 PM

The farther away from PHILADELPHIA you get the less support they get from me. I really don't root for the Pirates. I just needed an American League team. I should of picked the A's. They where from PHILADELPHIA. Is it too late to change?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 12:39 PM

Dude, the Pirates are in the NL central ????

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 01:19 PM

Really? I am so wrong. Scratch the Pirates and pit in the A's. Last time checked the A's were in the A.L.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 02:55 PM

A's are in the AL west........and they will win the AL west I think!
Posted by: chewy50

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 30/03/05 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
[b]
I'm not surprised that Sauerbrun is on them. Have you ever seen how big he is? He's pretty much done as a Panther, he just had a DUI a while back and now this.
Mitchell is the surprising one to me, and the team really needs him. I think he stays due to the fact that he's never caused any other problems.
The story airs on 60 Minutes tonight.[/b]
I had a buddy who walked on at WVU right after Sauerbrun was there and he was told about how well known he was known for hitting the juice. Dude is definitley not built like a typical punter!! He'd be the first one off that team I'd expect to be on steroids!

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 08:29 AM

I met Coach Andy Reid today. I told him thanks for making the Eagles a respectable team and to bring home that Superbowl trophy next season. He told me that he did appreciate the comment and that the trophy will be ours next season. I also asked him what he thought about the whole Carolina steriods issue. He told me that he didn't have a comment about another team. I then asked if any of our guys are on the juice. Coach Reid gave me a strong, NO. In Reid I trust. I'm going to have to retract my statement on the Eagles on steriods. I said 2, then I said 3. Now I say zero. E!A!G!L!E!S! EAGLES!!!!!!

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 08:39 AM

Cool to meet coach Reid ... of course he is gonna say no though ... but I am inclined to believe him because the players on his tea, that everyone would point the ifnger at (T.O, McNabb, etc...) have always been solid players, never took a huge leap in personal talent in their careers so far. Did you get any autographs ?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 09:31 AM

I don't like to do autographs. I took pictures. I'll post them tommorow.

www.phlx.com

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:09 PM

Quote:
You should have asked him why McNabb sucks.
[LOL] [ThumbsUp]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:09 PM

You should have asked him why McNabb sucks. smile

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:10 PM

(Now ain't that wierd. I quoted Smith, he deleted his post as I replied instead of just editing it, so now it looks like I replied to his message before he posted it [Freak] )

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:11 PM

You're a psychic!

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:13 PM

Quote:
You're a psychic!
Not really, we all know McNabb sucks. smile

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:15 PM

[ThumbsDown] Moderhater [ThumbsDown]

[Finger] Ramstein92 [Finger]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:17 PM

Quote:
[ThumbsDown] Moderhater [ThumbsDown]

[Finger] Ramstein92 [Finger]
My punter can kick your punter's ass. [Finger]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:33 PM

I'll call Dirk Johnson and you'll call Jay Kordich and we'll meet somewhere in the middle to see the battle.

This is off the topic but, tonight is a big night for PHILADELPHIA and South Cakalaka. Hawks vs. Gamecocks for the NIT championship at Madison Square Garden. Who are you going for Moderhater?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:40 PM

Quote:
South Cakalaka. Hawks vs. Gamecocks for the NIT championship
So one of your teams will be the 66th best in the nation. Now that is something the folks in Philly can be proud of. smile

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:43 PM

It's still a championship game.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:53 PM

Quote:
It's still a championship game.
So was last night's series of Connect Four between my son and I (best 2 out of 3), but it wasn't exactly a big night for FRISCO. smile

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 12:56 PM

Ramstein are you still upset because your son shut you down last night? You can't handle me in some connect four.

I said big night because there's really nothing else to watch (sports) except this Championship game.

Ramstein are you still upset because Frisco U. didn't make it to the NIT?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:01 PM

Frisco has no U; we are a suburb of DFW.

I root for the UofA 'Cats (my hometown team).

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:03 PM

Frisco U. was a joke.

Ramstein Jr. whipped your ass. That's another joke.

UofA = University of Austin?

Are you close to North Richland Hills?

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:25 PM

Quote:
Dude, you don't need your college sports very well, do you. [Freak] [LOL]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:33 PM

In PHILADELPHIA yes.
Out of PHILADELPHIA a little.

That's why I asked because I didn't know.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramstein92:
Frisco has no U; we are a suburb of DFW.
That's why you should root for the Red Raiders! laugh

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 31/03/05 01:44 PM

Quote:
Frisco U. was a joke.

Ramstein Jr. whipped your ass. That's another joke.

Are you close to North Richland Hills?
I know

I know

No, University of Arizona

Kinda (45 minute drive)

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 07:32 AM

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da24b3127cce91555fda89e300000016108AZuWrVq5bNf[/img]

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 07:47 AM

See these pin-stripes? They are symbolic of us being run over in every championship game we play. smile

Is that you shaking his hand, or did you take the pic?

s

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 10:03 AM

I was shaking his hand. My co-worker took the pic.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 10:27 AM

He looks scared, like you're gonna eat him or something.

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 12:18 PM

I say he looks amazed. I think he wanted to sign me. wink

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 12:26 PM

Are his man-boobs as big in real life as they look in the photo? laugh

Re: Steroids in the NFL - 05/04/05 12:57 PM

Man boob size 44DD. smile

He looks like he lost some weight. I seen Andy Reid 3 years ago at the Eagles carnival. He looked bigger then.