Official 2007 College Football Thread

Posted by: Anonymous

Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 10:13 AM

We're a week or two from fall practices opening and about a month from the first games, so it's finally time for the official 2007 CFB season thread.

ESPN's best programs of the decade is as good a place as any to kick it off: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

Some rankings relevant to regular posters off the top of my head:

1 - USC
2 - tOSU
3 - Texas
5 - pOUters
8 - Miami
16 - Boise State (far too high, imo)
17 - Oregon laugh
18 - L'ville
23 - ND
29 - aTm
32 - TTech

Prospects this year for my team: Shakey QB situation is question #1. Starter last year (Dixon) lost his job mid season but has been named the starter this year anyway, although after he was named the starter he was drafted in the 5th round by the Braves and announced that he would spend the summer playing baseball. He'll be back in time for fall camp (which kicks off Aug. 6 I think), but he is missing all the voluntary player run practices taking place. He'll likely still be the #1 guy, but he could be replaced by fellow senior Leaf or hotshot sophmore Nate Costa. The other big questionmark is LB quality and depth, but strength at d-line in the secondary should help with that. The schedule this year is favorable as we have most tough games at home whereas last year all were on the road. The exception is Michigan in the big house, which will be a real tough one to win. I think we'll finish between 5 and 2 in the Pac 10, but if QB play is better than expected we may have a shot at knocking off USC as we get them at Autzen this year.

The finest sport in the land is finally almost here. [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 10:28 AM

I'd agree w/ the Louisville at #18 or so. Personally I would have said around #15, but I'm not splitting hairs.

However, I would definately say Boise State's ranking higher than Louisville is a touch BS, considering the only time they played each other in the past decade, Louisville won. Plus, they both have exactly 1 BCS bowl game appearance and win (both last year). But hey, a couple spots aren't worth arguing over.

Then again, 10 years ago, Louisville went 1-10 under Ron Cooper, so obviously that has to play into their rankings, even if John L. did go 7-5 the very next year.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 10:41 AM

If Boise won the Fiesta bowl 2 years ago instead of last year I think they've have landed in the 22-25 range, but right now they're a media darling. I respect what they've done given their situation, but their only good win is over a pretty poor OU team. Their game against Louisville in the Liberty Bowl was exciting and relatively close, but it was pretty clear that the Broncos were heavily outmatched in that one. I think they're something like 3-14 against BCS teams all time, and they've never beaten a BCS team on the road.

I think they'll lose at least a couple of games this year, even with their cupcake schedule.
Posted by: NismoXse02

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 11:16 AM

Is it too early to complain about the BCS system? laugh

I love how biased the media. Why must they instist on always having A&M ahead of Tech every year? [Freak] We've owned them for well over a decade now. I guess it's because A&M has all that history... you know, waaay before we were all born. :rolleyes:
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Is it too early to complain about the BCS system? laugh
No, as long as it's not too late for me to complain about those University of Oregon refs robbing Oklahoma. laugh

ETA: Uh oh, should have read this thread from the beginning before posting...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
No, as long as it's not too late for me to complain about those University of Oregon refs robbing Oklahoma.
Pac 10 refs, and we don't need to get back into all that again. Besides, robbing Oregon of the 2005 Holiday Bowl victory is way worse than one bad call. [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 12:29 PM

Quote:
I love how biased the media. Why must they instist on always having A&M ahead of Tech every year? [Freak]
This isn't a 2007 ranking, this is the best programs of the last decade ranking. I'm not really sure why they're higher in the decade ranking. They've won less games and are 1-5 in bowls in that time. Then again I guess they did win the conference once to Tech's none. Rankings of 29 and 32 is pretty much a tie, anyway.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/07/07 01:02 PM

Oh, I see. But yeah, I guess it's still weird to have them ranked higher because one year shouldn't outweigh the other 9 years. However, even stuff like this is just like the BCS and figure skating... it's all based on someone's opinion. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/07/07 11:05 AM

Yeah, I don't get how FSU is ranked higher than Miami (granted, it's one spot, but I hate conceding anything to them). The Canes have beaten them 7 times in the last decade, we're even in national titles (though they should have played OU in 2000-01, since they beat FSU again). I think FSU has 3 more conference titles, but the Canes had one of the top 5 all time teams in 2001. Plus the 34 game winning streak, and a better bowl record.

Meh.
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/07/07 12:37 PM

I like how some are saying the USC team may be the best college football team ever.

PUH-LEASE! Trying to claim that even before practices begin?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/07/07 08:38 AM

Yeah, the media always has a boner over USC and my other favorite team, Notre Dame.

I can't believe it's almost August. Bring on football season! [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/07/07 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the media always has a boner over USC and my other favorite team, Notre Dame.
I haven't noticed much in the way of domer-boners this summer, actually. I think people are realizing that they really aren't that good. In all honesty I think this year's squad would struggle to finish in the top half of the SEC, Pac 10, Big 10, or Big 12. Unfortunately, front butt seems to be moving them in an upward direction - their '08 recruiting class is looking damn good so far. I hadn't paid a lot of attention but they pulled a stud 5-star DE prospect out of Portland and I checked their commit list. This is a scary-ass list for us haters out there.

Unlike the domers, USC deserves to be considered a top team this year (but any "best ever" talk is bullshit at this point.)

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/07/07 11:20 PM

Kinda like USC 2005.. laugh

It's funny, all of the UM fans I know had a special feeling about the 2001 team (yeah, I know, I keep rattling off about them, but that's about the only great thing this decade, which this thread's about), even before the season started. Granted, the Canes didn't choke in the final game the season before ala USC, so USC wasn't "robbed" of being in title game.

That being said, they do have a good chance to run the table this year. But watch out for LSU, they could be scary good too. I'm not sold on Tebow down at Florida yet. Granted, the SEC is the top conference in the game, but I think LSU can run the table there.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/07/07 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Origami Gangsta:
Granted, the Canes didn't choke in the final game the season before ala USC, so USC wasn't "robbed" of being in title game.
USC had to face a hell of a lot tougher opponent than Miami did, though. Nebraska was at best the 4th best team in the country that year. But I really don't want to get into this - still a sore subject for me... mad

On LSU, I agree that they stand a great chance of running the table. They only have to play two good SEC teams and a couple of other decent teams. Otherwise it's the conference scrubs and a typical SEC OOC schedule. SEC schedules are usually vastly overrated, imo.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/08/07 09:41 AM

Go Hokies!!

that is all.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/08/07 10:37 AM

Go Gamecocks!!! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/08/07 01:11 PM

Don't look now, but we're finally in August! First games are August 30th!! [drink]

Go Tech! laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/08/07 01:36 PM

I guess it's officially time to bust the logos out:

Classic:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/08/07 06:52 AM

Pre-Season Coaches Poll:

1. Southern California (11-2) 1,481 (45)
2. LSU (11-2) 1,372 (4)
3. Florida (13-1) 1,278 (9)
4. Texas (10-3) 1,231
5. Michigan (11-2) 1,218 (2)
6. West Virginia (11-2) 1,205
7. Wisconsin (12-1) 1,114
8. Oklahoma (11-3) 1,026
9. Virginia Tech (10-3) 1,005
10. Ohio State (12-1) 919
11. Louisville (12-1) 836
12. California (10-3) 763
13. Georgia (9-4) 604
14. Auburn (11-2) 595
15. Tennessee (9-4) 583
16. Rutgers (11-2) 466
17. UCLA (7-6) 454
18. Penn State (9-4) 440
19. Nebraska (9-5) 388
20. Arkansas (10-4) 360
21. Florida State (7-6) 301
22. TCU (11-2) 233
23. Boise State (13-0) 222
24. Hawaii (11-3) 214
25. Texas A&M (9-4) 209

Others receiving votes: Boston College (10-3) 150, Georgia Tech (9-5) 150, Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 91, Notre Dame (10-3) 90, South Carolina (8-5) 90, Wake Forest (11-3) 71, Missouri (8-5) 58, Oregon State (10-4) 52, Brigham Young (11-2) 47, Clemson (8-5) 30, Oregon (7-6) 30, South Florida (9-4) 26, Texas Tech (8-5) 20, Alabama (6-7) 16, Oklahoma State (7-6) 15, Southern Mississippi (9-5) 14, Iowa (6-7) 12, Kansas State (7-6) 8, Memphis (2-10) 5, Houston (10-4) 4, Arizona (6-6) 1, Duke (0-12) 1, Kentucky (8-5) 1, Washington State (6-6) 1.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/08/07 07:44 AM

Ahh.

More constant love for Michigan and Ohio State. At least the Domers are getting pre-season ranked where they ought to be...

I'm not a SEC fan, but for cripes sake, Florida (who honestly wasn't a great team for most of the season) made Ohio State look fairly mediocre last year.

Oh well. I'm just happy the Cards are within striking distance; I've always thought the teams in the 8-12 range at the beginning of the year have the better chances to get promoted quickly. Get a few of the top 5 to have early season losses, and they get leapfrogged for good (unless you're a Domer, or a USC hussie...)

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/08/07 07:59 AM

Another worthless preseason poll. :rolleyes: More love for A&M and TCwho. I'm fine with Tech being ranked where they are... I just hate the media bias for teams that are going to obviously be worse than them. mad Like Oklahoma State is even going to be better than A&M and maybe even Tech, but they only received 15 votes. Oh well, I guess that's why they play the games.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 05/08/07 03:42 PM

GO HAWKS!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/08/07 06:27 AM

Interesting...I just read that Oregon is working on moving their 2009 opener against Boise State to China. It would be the first American College Football Game ever played in the country (Oregon played USC in Tokyo back in '85 or so).

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2007/08/uo_working_on_a_2009_football.html

That's a long-ass road trip. [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/08/07 09:29 AM

Game week.

Let's get it on.

Go Vandals. Knock those overrated Trojans off in week 1 to stop this "best team ever" talk. That's likely to happen. [Freak]

Watch out for SMU, Nismo. They beat, like, Tulsa and stuff last year.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/08/07 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Watch out for SMU, Nismo. They beat, like, Tulsa and stuff last year.
Should be interesting since it's a Monday night game on the road. We typically lose a game every year that we shouldn't, but I don't think this will be the one. I really can't believe football season is already here. It's just what the doctor ordered since the 'Stros are out of it. [ThumbsUp] [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/08/07 03:37 PM

It's almost time. The first games kick off in less then 30 minutes. [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/08/07 05:37 PM

I think I'm going to cry... this is such a beautiful thing. laugh I even have my FFL draft in less than 30 minutes. [drink]
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 04:36 AM

could the ass whoopins last night have been any worse.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 06:05 AM

I watched a couple of games last night - a few thoughts...

The Boise State game was totally meaningless. They had Weber State so outmatched in the trenches they could do whatever they wanted at will. Their game next week against Washington will be much more illustrative.

Oregon State looked good against Utah, a solid mid-major. Very good defense, especially against the run. They only gave up one score and it was on a very nice long pass to a WR in single coverage. But come on guys - you can't even sell out that errector set of a stadium???

Les Miles is still a total garden tool, starting his brutal SEC conference schedule against mighty Miss State. :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 06:36 AM

Quote:
Les Miles is still a total garden tool, starting his brutal SEC conference schedule against mighty Miss State. :rolleyes:
Well, who were they supposed to play? Florida? Auburn? Tennessee? Alabama?

Why don't we throw in USC or Michigan while we're at it? laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 06:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Les Miles is still a total garden tool, starting his brutal SEC conference schedule against mighty Miss State. :rolleyes:
Well, who were they supposed to play? Florida? Auburn? Tennessee? Alabama?

Why don't we throw in USC or Michigan while we're at it? laugh [/b]
My point was simply that SEC schedules are vastly overrated. I fully realize Miles was trying to play up to his (largely toothless) fan-base when his comments were made, but they were really asinine comments.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BluMerle:
Go Gamecocks!!! [ThumbsUp]

spurrier is a..............COCK! [Finger]

GO TIGERS!!
Posted by: MidnightX

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 12:24 PM

Just stoppin' by to represent the Gator Nation!

Go Gators!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 31/08/07 11:34 PM

Fuck you Boomer Sooners! We're gonna stomp that ass next week!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 09:07 AM

and out of respect and the knowledge of what it is like:
Posted by: Smith

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 01:23 PM

LOL at Michigan!!!!! [Spit]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smith:
I was thinking the same thing.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 01:45 PM

[Spit] LOL! [LOL]

Then again, it's a long season and I think my Red Raiders have a 1AA team on their schedule so I won't laugh too hard.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
Go Hokies!!

that is all.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 03:54 PM

Looks like it's going to be a long season in South Bend. Oh well. This year should be the last of that for awhile with that incoming class.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/09/07 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Chia:
Quote:
[b]LOL at Michigan!!!!! [Spit]
I was thinking the same thing.[/b]
Me too. Michigan sucks. And you can bet your ass Notre Dame will be brought down next week too.

LET'S GO STATE!!!!!!!

P.S. I bleed blue and white
[Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/09/07 07:38 AM

I think Texas is in for a rough season. We should ahve blown out Arkansas State. Our Defense sucked ass bad.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/09/07 05:32 PM

Quote:
My friend went to Appalachian State and was thrilled at that outcome!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/09/07 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
My friend
[Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/09/07 11:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]My friend
[Freak] [/b]
lol

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/09/07 04:57 PM

LOL at Michigan. Hopefully they don't play with their hair on fire against Oregon this weekend. [Uh Oh !]

Oregon wins their opener against the defending C-USA champs 48-27. DL and LB concerns not alleviated at all, but offensive production and lack of turnovers were positive. The Houston RB, Alridge, is freaking FAST. eek

Cal handled Tenn pretty easily, considering their huge question marks on defense. Nice to see a SEC team go on the road to play an overrated Pac-10 team and get their asses handed to them. Maybe they should stick to their policy of only staying in the south.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/09/07 06:22 PM

49-9. [Smoking] Good first game, on the road and on ESPN. [ThumbsUp] Harrell looked pretty damn good. However, if anyone got to see Potts play, you can see why I'm big on him and would love to see him start. The announcers sure liked him as well. Our typical tech stupid penalty mistakes seem to be back. All in all, I'm happy and we'll hopefully coast through this pretty easy non-conference schedule. Then again, I guess nothing's easy anymore considering what happened to Michigan. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/09/07 05:50 AM

Good GAWD Oregon State looked bad last night. How is it, one must ask, that a team can lose 34-3 when outgaining the other (bad) team by almost 100 yards? Simple - throw 6 picks, fumble once or twice, have a punt blocked for a TD, and screw up a fair catch deep in your own territory. What a freakin' train wreck. [Freak]

In other news, Louisville gives up 42 points and 555 yards to...

...wait for it...

...Middle Tenn State. [LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/09/07 06:28 AM

Our (UofL) defense sucks. I made a remark to some coworkers after the first game against Murray State that our D line was absolutely terrrible. They sure proved me wrong last night... So two games into the season, with our two extremely lightweight competition under our belt, and we have a whopping 1 sack, total. Wow. Absolutely pathetic.
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/09/07 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Our (UofL) defense sucks. I made a remark to some coworkers after the first game against Murray State that our D line was absolutely terrrible. They sure proved me wrong last night... So two games into the season, with our two extremely lightweight competition under our belt, and we have a whopping 1 sack, total. Wow. Absolutely pathetic.
I flicked on the tv last night and I was really disappointed to see that MTSU (losers to Fla. Atlantic) had scored 48 on UofL... they better do something about that D before they face WVU, Rutgers, S. Fla...

... or even Kentucky (next week). [Uh Oh !] wink

on the bright side, it could be worse... at least you're not Michigan.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/09/07 07:03 AM

Forget WVA, Rutgers, S. Florida, etc. We'll lose to UK next week, and our season will be over. Our defense is not fixable. It's not just 1 thing; it's everything, from the play calling, to the sorry d-line, to the linebackers that are lost, to the d-backs that are soft.

We're going to lose at least 3 games this year, maybe 4 or 5.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/09/07 06:35 PM

Eat that shit Michigan. 630 yards of offense, in a game where the final score actually looked closer than the game really was.

GO DUCKS!!!

PS - BSU sucks. Glad to see their overrated asses lose to a bad UW team.

Edit - UM player Mathews is a little bitch. [ThumbsDown]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/09/07 07:48 PM

I was glad to see that pnwbeers. [ThumbsUp] Looks like Carr is on his way out for sure. Now the media can stop with that biggest upset of all time talk. Div II teams have beaten average Div I teams before. Another reason why they should do away with Preseason Polls.

UTEP gave my Red Raiders a scare, but they decided to play defense the 2nd half and totally dominated the rest of the game. Probably had do with overlooking them and playing on Monday. BTW, Crabtree for Hesiman? Ok, he's only a Freshman, but good Lord that guy is damn good. I'm going to enjoy watching him for the next 4 years. [ThumbsUp] [drink]
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/09/07 07:50 PM

"Ducks roll as Wolverines suffer worst loss since '68"

Oregon 39, Michigan 7

I almost feel sorry for U OF M....Almost, but NOT! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/09/07 07:56 PM

Quote:

Fuck you Boomer Sooners! We're gonna stomp that ass next week!
[Wave]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 04:19 AM

Funny how you chime in with a comment when your team hasn't done shit in what, the last 20 years?

Yeah, we got our ass destroyed today. Pummeled. Crushed. In Shannon I trust though. We're going to turn it around in the next 3 years.

Enjoy it while it lasts... [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 08:54 AM

I got my wish last night! laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 09:59 AM

Quote:
Funny how you chime in with a comment when your team hasn't done shit in what, the last 20 years?

Yeah, we got our ass destroyed today. Pummeled. Crushed. In Shannon I trust though. We're going to turn it around in the next 3 years.

They beat Samford yesterday. :p

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 02:54 PM

Wow, how Mighty Michigan has fallen. One thing is for sure, someone has got to win in the Mich/ND game next week.
I still have not recovered from Florida's killing of the Ohio State season in January.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.D.M.:
Wow, how Mighty Michigan has fallen. One thing is for sure, someone has got to win in the Mich/ND game next week.
I still have not recovered from Florida's killing of the Ohio State season in January.
Shame they don't allow ties anymore... I could see a real barn-burner 0-0 tie heading into overtime...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/09/07 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Wow, how Mighty Michigan has fallen. One thing is for sure, someone has got to win in the Mich/ND game next week.
Shame they don't allow ties anymore... I could see a real barn-burner 0-0 tie heading into overtime...[/b]
I don't know if there's an offense in the country that can't score on UM's defense. Even so, I expect Michigan will destroy Notre Dame this year.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/09/07 12:29 AM

Im thinking Hawaii will do fairly good this year.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/09/07 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
Im thinking Hawaii will do fairly good this year.
Almost lost to La Tech on Saturday - that's a bad sign. Hawaii is a different team on the road and Nevada could be the game that knocks them out of BCS contention. Of course, the schedule with two 1-AA teams could also keep them out of contetion. At this point they're the only possible mid-BCS bid left, though. All the other candidates lost over the weekend.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/09/07 01:22 PM

Book \'em Horns! [Smoking]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/09/07 09:28 PM

Quote:
Book \'em Horns! [Smoking]
What I want to know is when the hell did the Longhorns became Miami or Florida State? [ThumbsDown]

WTF??? Then again...it is Austin... [Smoking] [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/09/07 05:44 PM

Just got back from watching my Red Raiders pummel Rice here in Houston. Seeing Crabtree in person showed me that we really have a star in the making. 244 yds receiving and 3 tds. eek It still amazes me to know that he's only a freshman. [ThumbsUp]

UT sure survived a scare. eek

ND really really sucks and I'm not sure if this incoming class can save them.

And I still can't believe Ok. St. loss to freakin' Troy last night. We play them next week at their place and I bet their going to be pissed. frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/09/07 06:26 PM

So does anyone think Charlie Weiss is going to get sent packing?

I'm anxious to see who's No. 1 come Monday. After watching Florida manhandle Tennessee like they did, I expect them to move up. Guess it all depends on LSU and So Cal's performance.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/09/07 07:57 PM

What was THAT, Tennessee? [LOL]

GO GATORS!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/09/07 09:53 PM

Quote:
And I still can't believe Ok. St. loss to freakin' Troy last night. We play them next week at their place and I bet their going to be pissed. frown
OSU sucks, so I wouldn't worry too much about them unless Tech has some major holes (I've only seen part of their game against SMU, so I don't know a lot about them yet.) Actually, has the Big 12 actually gotten worse this year? Freaking Texas almost loses to UCF. Then again, at least the Big 12 is better than the Big 10. [LOL]

Oregon blasted Fresno today, 52-21. This is the team that took an (over)ranked aTm into triple OT at Kyle before losing.

Oh, and lol at UCLA, Auburn, and front-butt Charlie's squad. [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 09:14 AM

Kentucky over Louisville? [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 02:07 PM

Quote:
I think you're the only one surprised by that.

The Kentucky QB is one of the best in the nation.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 02:32 PM

Quote:
Kentucky is ranked in the AP poll for the first time since 1984! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 02:54 PM

I know Kentucky has been making some big improvements, and I know a little bit about the guy responsible. He was the head coach at Oregon 17 or 18 years, after all, and he did take the Ducks to the Rose Bowl in his final season (1994).

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 03:24 PM

Well, no love in the polls for us again. :rolleyes: Coaches seem to love us a little and we're finally getting some AP love, but wtf is up with that poll? It's a total joke now. Appalachian State, Air Force, Kansas? [LOL] A&M beats some Louisana Tech State College and they move up 5 places. Can't wait until we destroy them like usual. I guess the polls will play out and it's ridiculous to have them this early. That's the one thing that the BCS polls does right. [Geek]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well, no love in the polls for us again. :rolleyes:
Note: When your team opens with an OOC schedule consisting of SMU, UTEP, and Rice, you can't complain about not being ranked after starting 3-0.

In other news, Oregon ranked 13 in both polls. If we don't stumble against the trees and Cal doesn't stumble against Arizona, there'll be two top 10 teams facing off at Autzen Stadium in two weeks (where Tedford has never won). That could be one HELL of a game - the level of raw talent on the field at the offensive skill positions will be crazy. [Geek]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/09/07 06:05 PM

Quote:
Note: When your team opens with an OOC schedule consisting of SMU, UTEP, and Rice, you can't complain about not being ranked after starting 3-0.
Let me see, those are 3 Div. 1 in-state schools, 2 of which were on the road. A&M has played Montana State (Div. II), Fresno State and UL Monroe (Div. II) all at home... and they're in the Top 20. :rolleyes: And don't forget about Hawaii who runs the same system as us and plays in a crappy conference and has a crappy non-conference schedule. Ok, makes sense to me. [Freak]

Like I said, it will all work itself out when we blow A&M out, but I hate seeing that the 4th best team in Texas get the love in the polls that they always get when they haven't mattered in over a decade. Most over-ranked team that hasn't accomplished anything of all time.
Posted by: Fletcher Beck

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/09/07 01:45 PM

For all you east coast homers out there that don't know anything about Pac-10 football, ESPN Game Day is going to be in Eugene for the Cal vs Oregon game on Sept 29th.

If both schools take care of business this weekend it will make for a good matchup. Both should be undefeated going in. Cal is ranked #6 and Oregon is #13th at the moment.

So watch Game Day and see how pumped we get, Duck style.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/09/07 01:54 PM

In other news, Book \'em!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/09/07 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher Beck:
For all you east coast homers out there that don't know anything about Pac-10 football, ESPN Game Day is going to be in Eugene for the Cal vs Oregon game on Sept 29th.
Provided neither team loses, which is (unfortunately) a possibility. Cal and Oregon haven't exactly been the most consistent programs over the last few years.

But most likely neither team will stumble and we'll have top 10 v. top 10 at Autzen. I like Oregon's chances in that one, but Cal has some serious weapons for the Ducks to worry about. Weren't the Ducks ranked about 12th last year when Cal stomped the ever loving shit out of us on ABC?
Posted by: Fletcher Beck

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/09/07 10:35 AM

I am not saying that Oregon won't have their hands full with Cal.

What I am saying is that most the people on here that follow CFB don't want to give the Pac-10 credit as a legitamate conference because they don't know much about it.

They are in bed when the games are still being played.

They also argue that west coast football has no tradition. Well duh, of course the east coast schools have a longer tradition, look at the history of the migration in this country.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/09/07 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher Beck:
What I am saying is that most the people on here that follow CFB don't want to give the Pac-10 credit as a legitamate conference because they don't know much about it.
Everything I've read this year says the Pac 10 is loaded and is at worst the second best conference in the country. In the past I think the Pac 10 hasn't gotten enough credit, but this time around we seem to be getting our due. Same deal with basketball - the Pac 10 got tons of love towards the second half of last year and is getting tons of love going into this season.

Quote:
They also argue that west coast football has no tradition. Well duh, of course the east coast schools have a longer tradition, look at the history of the migration in this country.
Yet the Civil War (Oregon-Oregon State) is something like the fifth longest running rivalry game in the country - goes back to to the 1800's. That's plenty of tradition.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:36 AM

Leave coach Fran alone!

[LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 04:48 PM

Tonight's game is going to be tough to watch.

I hate to see either team win for many reason [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:03 PM

well...looks like either OU is really good or A&M really sucks.

yes, nismo, you have been saying that all along :p

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
yes, nismo, you have been saying that all along :p
wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]yes, nismo, you have been saying that all along :p
wink [/b]
poor aggies

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:51 PM

The Aggies have looked pretty shitty all year - definitely in the running for the poorest ranked team. I switched the game off after the first half, but at that point Miami was making aTm look stupid.

Personally I don't think OU is that good this year - hopefully that cupcake schedule bites them in the ass if they do end up running the table. I enjoy watching OU get blown away as much as anybody, but I'm getting sick of seeing it happen in BCS bowls.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 06:59 PM

Quote:
The Aggies have looked pretty shitty all year - definitely in the running for the poorest ranked team. I switched the game off after the first half, but at that point Miami was making aTm look stupid.

Personally I don't think OU is that good this year - hopefully that cupcake schedule bites them in the ass if they do end up running the table. I enjoy watching OU get blown away as much as anybody, but I'm getting sick of seeing it happen in BCS bowls.
Yeah, the Big 12 is pretty bad this year. Now, they aren't down as far as the big 10 [Freak]

I can't wait to get into conference play though.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 07:58 PM

34-17 and the score doesn't indicate the game. eek

I guess I just don't get why they get hyped so much ever year. It's not like they've won a national championship or anything. All they have is a tradition in the stands, but that's as far as it goes. Maybe someone outside of Texas could shed some light on the phenomenon. [Uh Oh !] 4th best team in Texas every year (sometimes 5th behind Baylor lol) and they are treated like they're right up there with the Longhorns at the beginning of the year. I don't get it. confused

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/09/07 08:54 PM

Well that was a $hitty game...

I don't know how much longer Coach Fran is gonna last as coach of the Aggies... good recruiter... horrible play-calling and game execution...

Oh well... at least I have Kentucky to be excited for... laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/09/07 06:03 AM

laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/09/07 07:07 PM

Quote:
34-17 and the score doesn't indicate the game. eek

I guess I just don't get why they get hyped so much ever year. It's not like they've won a national championship or anything. All they have is a tradition in the stands, but that's as far as it goes. Maybe someone outside of Texas could shed some light on the phenomenon. [Uh Oh !] 4th best team in Texas every year (sometimes 5th behind Baylor lol) and they are treated like they're right up there with the Longhorns at the beginning of the year. I don't get it. confused
I can feel good in the fact that we don't have the worst game day coaching in Texas. [Uh Oh !]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 07:39 AM

Come on Ducks. Stomp the trees and earn that top 10 mark going into the Cal game next week.

Gameday in Eugene next Saturday, provided Oregon and Cal both win today. [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 12:23 PM

Well, it's official.

College basketball pre-season started after last saturday (losing to UK).

But nope. It's now OFFICIALLY basketball season at UofL after dropping two games in a row for the first time since 2003... Incidentally, that was the last time we lost a home game, too.

For the love of god, what the hell is going on??? We now have the WORST defense in the entire country!!!

I've never seen a coaching staff do so little with so much talent. Way to go, guys...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 03:50 PM

Michigan beats #10 Penn State. Nice. Hopefully they win the Big 10 this year and really help Oregon's SOS. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 04:50 PM

Oklahoma St. 49
Texas Tech 45
[Uh Oh !]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 05:01 PM

Quote:
Oklahoma St. 49
Texas Tech 45
[Uh Oh !]
I actually watched the whole second half of this one, and it was a pretty damn good game. It's easy to dismiss these so-called system quarterbacks, but 644 yards and 5 TDs. Holy Fuck. eek

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 05:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Oklahoma St. 49
Texas Tech 45
[Uh Oh !]
I actually watched the whole second half of this one, and it was a pretty damn good game. It's easy to dismiss these so-called system quarterbacks, but 644 yards and 5 TDs. Holy Fuck. eek [/b]
I did watch most of the last quarter. It was a good game, but what happened to the OSU offense sucking?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 06:02 PM

Quote:
We now have the WORST defense in the entire country!!!
I beg to differ. mad

Well, the firecoachlyle.com or lylemustgo.com watch has begun. That is one pathetic defense scheme and it's time for him to go. BTW, for those that haven't followed this series, it has become a rival and you just saw why they are moving this game to Dallas to be played in Jerryworld every year.

On a lighter note, Crabtree is still freakin' awesome despite dropping the game winning touchdown. Did I mention he's a red shirt freshman? Ok, maybe that's the 10th time I mentioned that. 4 years of this dude! [ThumbsUp] Not to mention all 4 years will be played with the 2 best quarterbacks that Tech has ever had (sorry B.J. Tolliver). 237 yards, 3 tds. eek

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 07:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]We now have the WORST defense in the entire country!!!
I beg to differ. mad
[/b]
You can beg all you want, but you're wrong.

Louisville did play Syracuse!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/09/07 09:05 PM

First road SEC opener win in over 20 years!

Kentucky is 4-0! and winners of 9 of their last 10 games!

[ThumbsUp] [drink] [ThumbsUp] [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 06:45 AM

Thought that Iowa might pull the upset on Wisconsin. How about Florida almost tanking!
Happy that Michigan punked Penn State.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 07:20 AM

Quote:
You can beg all you want, but you're wrong.

Louisville did play Syracuse!
Yeah, well, we had over 700 yards of offense... and lost! [Geek]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 07:20 AM

Gameday in Eugene next week. [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 10:50 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

New coaches poll out. USC still 1, Cal still 6, Oregon up to 12, ASU moves in at 25(tied with Purdue), UCLA at 27.

Kentucky is up to 15. Penn State drops to 19, Michigan at 33.

Edit - AP looks pretty similar

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 05:19 PM

Quote:
How about Florida almost tanking!
Doesn't matter how it happened, it's still a "W". :p

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/09/07 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]We now have the WORST defense in the entire country!!!
I beg to differ. mad

Well, the firecoachlyle.com or lylemustgo.com watch has begun. eek [/b]
looks like he did you a favor
Lyle Setencich Steps down.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 24/09/07 09:12 AM

Quote:
looks like he did you a favor
Lyle Setencich Steps down.
[ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/09/07 12:28 PM

Coach Fran\'s $1200 Secret Newsletter

What an ass. This story, if true, makes me hate him even more now... What, $2 million per year isn't enough for you? If Fran spent less time writing $1200 newsletters and more time preparing his team properly, maybe A&M wouldn't be as mediocre as it is now... sigh.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/09/07 07:36 AM

Iiiiiiit's Game Day in Eugene!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/09/07 04:35 PM

Well, fuck. That's about as close as you can get to winning a game without actually winning. Too many mistakes against the soon to be #4 team in the country. Hopefully the pollsters are kind to us. 500 yards of offense and 24 fucking points.

Fuck. mad

PS - lmao at OU. [LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/09/07 08:41 PM

Holy hell!

5 of the top 10 lose today?? [Freak] [Freak] frown frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 01:30 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter how it happened, it's still a "W". :p
Oops. laugh [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 04:33 AM

Well we went down fighting. Not the only team to lose yesterday. It's OK. We lost one last year and still won the championship! wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 07:02 AM

USC does not deserve to be Number one the way they played against washington

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 08:27 AM

Quote:
USC does not deserve to be Number one the way they played against washington
Nor does LSU after their fist half against Tulane. Even though UW has been a major suck-fest the last few years, winning in Seattle is never easy.

SC stays at 1, Cal should go up to 3-4, and Oregon shouldn't drop past 14-15, given that they outplayed Cal most of that game. Arizona State will probably move into the top 20, and UCLA may squeak into the top 25

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 08:30 AM

Well, we had a tough game yesterday. [LOL] I know it was only a 1AA team, but our defense already showed improvement just by the way they played - tackling and mixing it up. However, we won't know for sure if it's working or not until next week. Oh, and yet another big game for Crabs. [ThumbsUp]

At least we're tied with UT and OU again. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/09/07 01:54 PM

What the hell is going on man!?

Kentucky is five and oh baby! (ok ok so we still have to play S. Carolina, LSU and Florida... but hey I'm enjoying the ride!)

Ranked #8 in the country! That's our first top ten ranking since 1977!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/10/07 11:54 AM

Quote:
our defense already showed improvement just by the way they played - tackling and mixing it up. However, we won't know for sure if it's working or not until next week.
Umm, you can't tell anything based on a game against Northwestern State. Given that Iowa State is only slightly better than Northwestern State, I don't think you can tell much based on that game either.

Who came up with your schedule, anyway? As I look over it, I can't help but wonder how good the Ducks would look if they played that schedule. [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/10/07 12:51 PM

Quote:
Umm, you can't tell anything based on a game against Northwestern State. Given that Iowa State is only slightly better than Northwestern State, I don't think you can tell much based on that game either.
You forgot to include the part where I acknowledged it was an 1AA opponent. [Freak] But that has nothing to do with what I was saying. Before, we would play boring 10 yards off the ball. Now, we're finally mixing things up with blitzing, fake blitzing, etc. That's the type of stuff we were looking for and really the only thing we could take from a game like that. But yeah, no one's saying anything about the results as we won't know anything until we play real competition. (Although I wonder how their offense compares to Rice who was able to move the ball at will against us in the first half. [Uh Oh !] )
Quote:
Who came up with your schedule, anyway? As I look over it, I can't help but wonder how good the Ducks would look if they played that schedule. [Freak]
Not sure, but having the toughest schedule in the nation in '02 probably made us realize this system sucks and we don't need to play any ranked opponents anymore unless it's someone typically over-rated like TCU. SMU and UTEP were left over games from last year and Rice was to finally tap into the Houston market. And, I guess everyone is scheduling a DivII team these days. If you want to know how Oregon would do, UofH is like UTEP and Fresno State is like SMU.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/10/07 06:36 PM

Made the big road trip to Minnesota this past weekend. A nice win for Ohio State before the toughest part of the schedule. Three night games on the road in four weeks.
LSU looks like the team to beat after stepping up in the second half of their game.
However Florida will be a tough fight after their loss.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/10/07 06:40 PM

Florida's offense is solid but one dimensional and their defense isn't as solid as last years.(yet) I think the Bayou Bengals are going to be making Gator Gumbo Saturday night.

Go Bucks!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/10/07 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
Florida's offense is solid but one dimensional and their defense isn't as solid as last years.(yet) I think the Bayou Bengals are going to be making Gator Gumbo Saturday night.
We'll seeeeeee. I'm nervous but it's going to be exciting! Can't wait!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/10/07 06:47 AM

I'm all decked out in my garnet and black right now because I'm leaving for Columbia in a couple of hours!! laugh

The best part is that I'm taking my step-brother and his girlfriend along. They're visiting me from Germany for a couple of weeks, and they've never been to a college football game.

Goooo Cocks!!!! laugh [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 05/10/07 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BluMerle:
I'm all decked out in my garnet and black right now because I'm leaving for Columbia in a couple of hours!! laugh

The best part is that I'm taking my step-brother and his girlfriend along. They're visiting me from Germany for a couple of weeks, and they've never been to a college football game.

Goooo Cocks!!!! laugh [ThumbsUp]
Hope you guys had fun...

sigh.

Kentucky came crashing back to Earth after this loss... SC did a great job of blitzing Woodson such that those two fumbles were essentially the difference in the game... too many UK mistakes and a great SC defense = UK loss, SC win.

so much for the week basking in top ten glory...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 06/10/07 08:00 PM

I won't talk about my game, but:

Stanford: 24
USC: 23

[Uh Oh !] eek laugh

Mighty USC loses to the football power house Stanford [LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 06/10/07 08:59 PM

Quote:

Stanford: 24
USC: 23

Mighty USC loses to the football power house Stanford [LOL]
[Spit] [ThumbsUp]

What and amazing college football weekend! Hell, this has been one of the best college football seasons ever as far as I'm concerned! Of course, we're getting set up for the big let down known as BCS, but let's enjoy the ride.

Side note: I think this is the first time that I rooted for both the Whorns and Aggys in the same weekend. [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 06/10/07 09:19 PM

LSU 28 Florida 24 laugh
THAT was one awsome game (the second half, anyway)! 1,800 miles away and the wife and I are just as hoarse as if we'd been there (dammit) [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/10/07 07:52 AM

Incredible comeback by the Aggies after being 17 down...

A&M is now the Big 12 South leader...which is meaningless at this point with the toughest games yet to come... most Aggies still want to see Coach Fran fired...

short of a Big 12 title, I'd say Fran is as good as gone...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/10/07 08:26 AM

Oklahoma State was screwed on that roughing the kicker call. It should have only been a running into the kicker still giving us the ball. But going back further, the fumble was crap too, you could totally see his knee down before the ball came out.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/10/07 08:36 AM

Polls are going to be interesting this week. Hard to believe Cal will be ranked 2. I think they're good, but I don't think they're that good. If Oregon wouldn't have lost on that flukey last play, imagine the possibilities... mad

Oh well. Top 10 probably isn't out of the question after this week. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/10/07 04:06 PM

Well, Oregon ended up 8 and 9 in the two major polls. Behind OU in both and USC in one. Two teams that, you know, lost to CU and Stanford. [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/10/07 01:42 PM

hmmmm, Bruce has an interesting Bowl prediction:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections6

[Smoking]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/10/07 05:13 PM

I certainly hope Oregon doesn't fall all the way to the Sun Bowl, but that'd sure be an interesting game. Frankly I think the matchup would favor Oregon pretty heavily.

Tech's rushing offense is terrible (12th in the Big 12), which helps the Ducks because Oregon's weakness on defense is rush defense. Tech's strength on offense is passing, Oregon's secondary is their defensive strength.

On the flip side, Oregon's rushing offense is top 10 nationally, while Tech's rushing defense sucks (10th in the Big 12).

I'd like this matchup (aside from being stuck in the damn Sun Bowl).

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/10/07 05:38 PM

Yeah, but most of that is from the results of our old DC and the OSU game. We're going to find out this weekend if our defense has improved or not. And it really doesn't matter how good your defense is against the pass. We'll still move the ball and score alot, especially with our Manning/Harrison-like combo with Harrell and Crabtree. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 09/10/07 07:19 PM

What are you going to do about this, Nismo?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/10/07 06:31 AM

Quote:
What are you going to do about this, Nismo?
[Spit] Link doesn't work w/o a password, but I think I saw the title long enough to know what it was. I guess I'd like to ask him one question - "Or what?". If you guarantee a victory, what are you going to do if you lose? Walk back to College Station?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/10/07 10:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] What are you going to do about this, Nismo?
[Spit] Link doesn't work w/o a password, but I think I saw the title long enough to know what it was. I guess I'd like to ask him one question - "Or what?". If you guarantee a victory, what are you going to do if you lose? Walk back to College Station?[/b]
Linky works fine for me... no pw required...

I dunno about Lane though... I understand he's trying to fire up his team, but the last time he made such a brash statement, he said that they had the best offense in the country and that no one could stop them... this was before the Miami game.

I can tell you this... if A&M falls behind 17-0 to Tech, there ain't no coming back this time...
:rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/10/07 10:47 AM

Fowler Toyota spoof of Mike Gundy.

Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QMGPnTNtyA&NR=1

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 05:07 PM

Holy crap!! Kentucky just knocked off No. 1 LSU! laugh

In other news, while it wasn't a pretty win, South Carolina proved to be the real "Carolina" of football. Go Cocks!!! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 06:16 PM

As much as it pains me to say this, as a lifelong LSU fan, they deserved to lose that game. The first half was eerily reminisent of the Tulane game as far as their lack of intensity and you just can't play like that. mad Especially against another good SEC team. By all rights, they really should've lost the Florida game, but managed to pull it off.
What kills me is the fact that they ran (for the umpteenth time) on a 4th and 2. Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. frown Hopefully they'll be awake next week for the Auburn game.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 06:27 PM

Another Tech/A&M game, another blow out in Lubbock. [ThumbsUp] Watch out everyone, I think we finally have a defense. laugh Bring on Mizzou.

Here's to everyone losing one game so we have a bunch of 1-loss teams at the end of the year totally messing up the BCS! [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 07:48 PM

Woohoo! #2 Cal loses too! Holy crap, what a freakin' season! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 08:07 PM

Kansas 58...Baylor 10...KU is now 6-0 WTF, over?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/10/07 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Kansas 58...Baylor 10...KU is now 6-0 WTF, over?
Check out who they've played. :rolleyes: They don't even get to play OU, UT or Tech this year. [ThumbsDown] But, they're 6-0 which is a lot better than they normally are against these types of teams. However, they fall in the same undefeated category as Hawaii... living a lie by playing nobody.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/10/07 03:56 PM

53-7 Oregon over WSU, which is good.

Cam Colvin (WR) and Jeremiah Johnson (backup RB - 40% or so of carries) are out for the season, which is really fucking bad. mad

More good news, though: 6 in coaches, 7 in AP.

Fuskies up next. Go get 'em Ducks. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/10/07 05:37 PM

BCS Rankings are out... the one thing that the system does right:

1 Ohio State
2 South Florida
3 Boston College
4 LSU
5 Oklahoma
6 South Carolina
7 Kentucky
8 Arizona State
9 West Virginia
10 Oregon
11 Virginia Tech
12 California
13 Kansas
14 USC
15 Florida
16 Missouri
17 Auburn
18 Hawaii
19 Virginia
20 Georgia
21 Tennessee
22 Texas
23 Cincinnati
24 Texas Tech
25 Michigan

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/10/07 08:22 PM

Simply amazing... what a season...

A great weekend to be a Wildcat fan!

and now #7 in the BCS rankings!

[img]http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/p...Item=6&MaxW=455[/img]

[img]http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/p...Item=9&MaxW=455[/img]

[img]http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/p...tem=14&MaxW=455[/img]

on the other hand... thanks to Texas Tech for putting the nail in the coffin on Franchione's career at A&M...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 12:05 AM

GO BUCKS!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 07:55 AM

My wife's a Sooner and has wanted to take me to an OU game since we met, insisting it would trump just about any other game experience I've had. I was skeptical but DAMN! She was right!

We spent last Saturday walking the campus and attending the homecoming parade, then it was off to see the Sooners take on Missouri. The attendance was 85,000 and to hear half of them yell "BOOOOMER!" and the other half respond "SOOOOONER!" was unbelievable. You can hear it yourself on YouTube but in person, it is amazing. It rolls like thunder. I also enjoyed seeing the Sooner Schooner come out after each score. My wife was in the band during her college years so she was able to give me a lot of inside scoop about what's going on behind the scenes on game day.

The way that place erupted when OU scored their defensive TD was the 3rd craziest crowd reaction I've ever seen in person. #1 all-time was Tom Dempsey's 63-yard FG in 1970 and #2 was when the Saints blocked a Falcon punt in last season's "return to the Superdome" game.

They went a little crazy too when the P.A. gave the Kentucky-LSU score. wink

I'll post pics from the game soon.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 11:38 AM

"OU has always been the Billy Ray Cyrus of College Football."

- Colin Cowherd

wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 01:43 PM

Quote:
"OU has always been the Billy Ray Cyrus of College Football."

- Colin Cowherd

wink
Get back to me when Colin's got 7 National Championship trophies on his mantle. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 03:36 PM

Just heard on the radio Nebraska athletic director has been fired and they are going after the coach and chancellor next. And this weekend its the battle of Dead Man Walking Nebraska v Texas A&M

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]"OU has always been the Billy Ray Cyrus of College Football."

- Colin Cowherd

wink
Get back to me when Colin's got 7 National Championship trophies on his mantle. laugh [/b]
All those are sanction free?

I actually saw a bowl projection that had OU and UO matching up in one of the BCS bowls. With the injuries we've had I doubt Oregon will make a BCS game this year, but I'd sure love to get a big-name Big 12/Big 10 opponent in a bowl this year, because frankly I'd really like our chances. A game against a team like LSU or Florida would be a lot more touch-and-go for Oregon - that defensive speed would be a beast to deal with.

With OU specifically it'd be nice to go out and embarrass that defense again and win without all the whining about the refs. Nismo can empathize.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 05:27 PM

Quote:

[Spit]

That makes three years in a row. [Wave]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]"OU has always been the Billy Ray Cyrus of College Football."

- Colin Cowherd

wink
Get back to me when Colin's got 7 National Championship trophies on his mantle. laugh [/b]
All those are sanction free?

I actually saw a bowl projection that had OU and UO matching up in one of the BCS bowls. With the injuries we've had I doubt Oregon will make a BCS game this year, but I'd sure love to get a big-name Big 12/Big 10 opponent in a bowl this year, because frankly I'd really like our chances. A game against a team like LSU or Florida would be a lot more touch-and-go for Oregon - that defensive speed would be a beast to deal with.

With OU specifically it'd be nice to go out and embarrass that defense again and win without all the whining about the refs. Nismo can empathize.[/b]
Whining, huh? Here's why I disagree. I've watched football for over 40 years and obviously, bad calls are a part of the game. The difference is that the usual bad call is made by a well-intentioned official who makes a mistake. What happened at Oregon last year was different. That was so obviously biased that everybody in the country, including some Oregon fans, could see it and smell it from a mile away. Mr. Oregon himself, Dan Fouts, called the officials out during that broadcast.

So if you're going to sit here and claim you'd watch your team take a screwing like that and say nothing in protest, I'm calling total and complete BS.

You're probably just baiting me, and that's fine. I always have the threat of humiliating you by mentioning those Arena League-reject uniforms if need be.
laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 06:18 PM

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/10/07 08:19 PM

Quote:
Just heard on the radio Nebraska athletic director has been fired and they are going after the coach and chancellor next. And this weekend its the battle of Dead Man Walking Nebraska v Texas A&M
It might end up being a race to hire the best coach between NU and A&M...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
It might end up being a race to hire the best coach between NU and A&M...
I was laughing my ass off when I heard John Lopez (Aggie dj on 790) claim that the A&M job is a top 10 job in the nation. Not of jobs that will be open, but of all jobs. [LOL] He even went on to say that it's a better job than Nebraska. [LOL] The Aggie delusion never gets old to me. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 06:48 AM

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 08:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]It might end up being a race to hire the best coach between NU and A&M...
I was laughing my ass off when I heard John Lopez (Aggie dj on 790) claim that the A&M job is a top 10 job in the nation. Not of jobs that will be open, but of all jobs. [LOL] He even went on to say that it's a better job than Nebraska. [LOL] The Aggie delusion never gets old to me. laugh [/b]
I'd rather be in College Station than Lincoln or Lubbock... :p

[Wave]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 09:35 AM

Quote:

[Wave]
Then you need to get out more. wink Oh wait, maybe you like the Aggy traditions that go on in Collie Station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IdWTJYrHQ

I'm just not into that sort of stuff, but each to their own I guess. [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 11:57 AM

Quote:
Just tell me, if the teams were reversed, would you or wouldn't you have been upset
Of course I would. After all, I was upset with the 10-14 points the refs spotted OU in that game. The non-call on the offensive pass interference and the snap after the play clock expired were both at least as obvious as the onsides kick debacle.

My beef is with OU fans who attribute the outcome of the game to one freaking call when there were literally hundreds of other things that also determined the outcome of the game.

But enough of this - we're now in the 2007 season.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 11:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]It might end up being a race to hire the best coach between NU and A&M...
I was laughing my ass off when I heard John Lopez (Aggie dj on 790) claim that the A&M job is a top 10 job in the nation. Not of jobs that will be open, but of all jobs. [LOL] He even went on to say that it's a better job than Nebraska. [LOL] The Aggie delusion never gets old to me. laugh [/b]

[Wave] [/b]
A&M isn't a bad job, probably better by most accounts than Tech and worse by most accounts than Nebraska. No way in hell it's a top 10 job, though. Probably not even a top 30 job.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 01:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Just tell me, if the teams were reversed, would you or wouldn't you have been upset
Of course I would. After all, I was upset with the 10-14 points the refs spotted OU in that game. The non-call on the offensive pass interference and the snap after the play clock expired were both at least as obvious as the onsides kick debacle.

My beef is with OU fans who attribute the outcome of the game to one freaking call when there were literally hundreds of other things that also determined the outcome of the game.

But enough of this - we're now in the 2007 season.[/b]
We can agree on one thing. Take care of business and it'll never come down to one call. OU didn't that day.
Posted by: Coop

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 01:57 PM

Quote:
Steve Pederson is gone. Praise baby jebus.

Tom Osborne is back at as at least the interim AD at Nebraska.

It is finally a good day for Husker Fans again.

If any teams are looking for a new coach, it's a good bet that Bill Callahan will be available soon. I bet he'll be a real hot commodity.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 02:24 PM

Quote:
A&M isn't a bad job, probably better by most accounts than Tech and worse by most accounts than Nebraska. No way in hell it's a top 10 job, though. Probably not even a top 30 job.
Although I did find the humor, it's definitely a top 30 job... it's just no way even close to the top 10.
Quote:
Originally posted by Coop:

Lots of work left to do. Isn't he the guy that hired Frank Solich and Bo Pellini? [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 03:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I'd rather be in College Station than Lincoln or Lubbock... :p

[Wave]
Then you need to get out more. wink Oh wait, maybe you like the Aggy traditions that go on in Collie Station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IdWTJYrHQ

I'm just not into that sort of stuff, but each to their own I guess. [Finger] [/b]
To each their own indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4XS3XtZQ

laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 03:08 PM

Hmmm, guy yanking it by himself or a bunch of guys with other guys doing a bunch of things...

Go bell ringer dude! laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 05:02 PM

Quote:
Although I did find the humor, it's definitely a top 30 job...
Is it? Going through BCS teams for better jobs...

ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and arguably Georgia Tech.

Big East: Probably none, but maybe WVU or Louisville.

Big 10: tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and arguably Mich State.

Big 12: OU, Texas, and Nebraska.

Pac 10: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, California, and arguably Arizona State.

SEC: South Carolina, Tenn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas.

Independents: Domers.

That's 26 teams, and 5 that fall under the "arguably" label. So I guess aTm may squeak into the top 30, but at the very least it's in that 28-35 range. Top 10 is a freaking joke.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 07:01 PM

With their resources, what the job pays (plus cost of living), their facilities, being in Texas, close to H-town, etc., I would put the "job" ahead of the following (from your list):

ACC: Clemson, Georgia Tech.

Big East: Yup, none

Big 10: Wisconsin, Iowa, Mich State.

Big 12: agree with all

Pac 10: Washington, Oregon, Arizona State.

SEC: South Carolina, Arkansas.

Remember, we're talking about the "job", not the program which might not be in the Top 50. [Laughing]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 07:09 PM

Quote:
With their resources, what the job pays (plus cost of living), their facilities, being in Texas, close to H-town, etc., I would put the "job" ahead of the following (from your list):

ACC: Clemson, Georgia Tech.

Big East: Yup, none

Big 10: Wisconsin, Iowa, Mich State.

Big 12: agree with all

Pac 10: Washington, Oregon, Arizona State.

SEC: South Carolina, Arkansas.

Remember, we're talking about the "job", not the program which might not be in the Top 50. [Laughing]
Counterpoint:

No way on God's green earth is aTm a better job than Wisconsin, Iowa, Washington, or Oregon. I disagree with the other teams you mentioned, but your position is at least somewhat defensible on those teams.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/10/07 07:58 PM

Well, I'm not going to argue because I hate defending Aggy the way it is, but numbers talk. Fran is making much more than all those coaches you just named. That's right, Fran is being paid $2mil to suck ass. Not only that, but they're talking about paying the next coach $3 mil (i.e. Spurrier). eek The facilities trump them as well. It's definitely a better "job" than those 4 schools, but definitely not a better "program" than those 4 though.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/10/07 07:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]A&M isn't a bad job, probably better by most accounts than Tech and worse by most accounts than Nebraska. No way in hell it's a top 10 job, though. Probably not even a top 30 job.
Although I did find the humor, it's definitely a top 30 job... it's just no way even close to the top 10.
Quote:
Originally posted by Coop:

Lots of work left to do. Isn't he the guy that hired Frank Solich and Bo Pellini? [Freak] [/b]
Oh yeah, there's lots of work to do, but there should be talent there in the football program for the next coaches to utilize

I've always said that Frank got a bad rap... People say there was no talent at NU when he left... Well NFL rosters disagree, I believe there were something like 6 or so guys (who were major contributors) on the team Callahan inherited who were starting in the NFL at the beginning of this season. Husker fans don't seem to remember being a top 10 team in '99, 00, and 01, but we were each of those years. It's tough to say that a guy who gave top 10 teams in 1/2 of his years was a bad hire... Most teams would take that in a heartbeat. Here in Nebraska we were just a bit spoiled.

But Frank hired Bo Pelini himself, Charlie McBride was the DC when T.O. left. Coincidentally, Pelini isn't doing too bad for himself at LSU now, and is one of those coaches that people expect to land a head coach position soon... Some hope he's wearing red again next season.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/10/07 08:07 AM

I think Frank's bad wrap came from not being able to do it with his players. He inherited a top 10 program and after those players left, well, you know the rest of the story. Talent's never been an issue at Nebraska. They actually have a lot of talent this year... just look at the top recruiting classes from 2004 on. It's all about the X's and O's and Calahan is the one that's not getting it done (yet, they gave him an extension at the beginning of the year for being average [Freak] ). Just look at Boise State, South Florida, BC, etc... you can win without talent. If you have talent, there's really no excuse. Maybe that's on the AD for highering him, keeping him, giving him an extension, etc... but I say it's more on the coach than the AD. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/10/07 02:09 PM

Quote:
I think Frank's bad wrap came from not being able to do it with his players. He inherited a top 10 program and after those players left, well, you know the rest of the story. Talent's never been an issue at Nebraska. They actually have a lot of talent this year... just look at the top recruiting classes from 2004 on. It's all about the X's and O's and Calahan is the one that's not getting it done (yet, they gave him an extension at the beginning of the year for being average [Freak] ). Just look at Boise State, South Florida, BC, etc... you can win without talent. If you have talent, there's really no excuse. Maybe that's on the AD for highering him, keeping him, giving him an extension, etc... but I say it's more on the coach than the AD. Just my 2 cents.
That is where frank gets his bad rap, no doubt. But looking at it logically it was his 5th year, and initially you have to expect some sort of letdown in recruiting when a coach like Osborne leaves. I think we were seeing that lull at that point, and things had picked back up. You look at the guys playing in the NFL now, with a competent coaching staff, you have to wonder what might have been. There were also other internal issues with some long time assistants which were corrected in Solich's final year there...

The only point I'm making is saying that Solich's hire was a mistake isn't something I totally buy. Teams can go down the tube a lot quicker than they did with him if you truly have a guy who can't coach well. We had a rough year in 2002, (but not nearly as bad as we've seen since) and it seems rough years go around like the flu in college football.

We were spoiled, hired an over-zealous AD who had the intention to make his mark on the program, and mistakes were made. Now Osborne is going to attempt to start to fix them... I'd take him over just about anyone else to handle this problem.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/10/07 02:25 PM

I play in a fantasy football league with all Huskers and here's a response to the TO hiring that you might find interesting:
Quote:
That don't mean shit (Re: TO hiring). It's what he does that matters. Frank Solich, Dave Gillespe, Steve Pedersen, Nelson Barnes... These are all fine examples of some of TO's "great" hirings in the past. Not to mention that exactly zero of his coaching proteges have went on to become overly successful Head Coaches at any D1 school.

All the talk about the past, and the "healing" for the fans... I fear TO will try and take NU back to the future by trying to incorporate Nebraska ties to every coaching position. That will be a colossal failure, and will set NU back even farther than it is now. If you think Frank Solich was bad, just wait.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/10/07 08:50 PM

Well, so much for South Florida. Is BC the next Top 5 to go down when they play Virginia Tech next week? Will #1 and #2 lose in the same weekend again as Ohio State will be playing at Penn State (assuming they beat Mich. State)? Wouldn't surprise me the way this football season has gone.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/10/07 08:50 PM

South Florida goes down to Rutgers!

At least now I can stop hearing about their Cinderella season!

Go Bucks!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/10/07 08:54 PM

We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan, the whole state of michigan, the whole state of michigan.

We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan 'cause we're from Ohio, OH
We're from Ohio, IO
We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan 'cause we're from Ohio!

laugh

Go Bucks!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/10/07 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to argue because I hate defending Aggy the way it is, but numbers talk. Fran is making much more than all those coaches you just named. That's right, Fran is being paid $2mil to suck ass. Not only that, but they're talking about paying the next coach $3 mil (i.e. Spurrier). eek The facilities trump them as well. It's definitely a better "job" than those 4 schools, but definitely not a better "program" than those 4 though.
It's not a better job or program than any of those 4 imo, and I don't think it's all that close, but whatever.

Ducks have a trap game tonight in Seattle. Even when that team is down that's a tough place to play. Injuries are becoming huge, especially at WR. Hope they can get through this and aren't looking ahead to USC next week.

Wonder if the domers actually cut the grass this year for the USC game? :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/10/07 04:45 PM

Just chiming in to say.....

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/10/07 05:55 PM

Damn, we got owned again by Mizzou. I guess they're our daddy and I'm glad we don't play them next year. As for the south, nothing's really changed as we still have to beat UT and OU just like before. frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 20/10/07 08:13 PM

Close for awhile, but Oregon won 55-34. Shitload of yards, 39 first downs, and Stewart ran for 251 yards.

Get this - Oregon had 3 guys with 100 + yards rushing, and in total they rushed for 467 yards. [Huh?]

Oregon now controls their own destiny. Win out and they'll win the Pac 10 title, and be in the Rose Bowl or National Championship game. Sadly I think they'll drop at least 1 before bowl season, but I could be wrong.

Great year to be a Duck. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 10:01 AM

Oregon's at 5 in the Coaches this week. Number 8 USC coming to Autzen this Saturday.

Gameday back in Eugene??? cool

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 02:18 PM

Sure, they've been to Norman so they might as well head up there to Oregon. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 02:35 PM

Quote:
Sure, they've been to Norman so they might as well head up there to Oregon. laugh
They were in Eugene for the Oregon-Cal game. My guess is that they won't come back for Oregon-USC, but if Oregon and Arizona State both win (currently 5 and 4 in the BCS, respectively) I'm sure they'd make a second trip for that matchup.

Oregon jumped the Sooners in the BCS standings, by the way. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 06:26 PM

Go ahead and get cocky and see how that works out for you. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 06:28 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and get cocky and see how that works out for you. laugh
Being cocky doesn't fit well with being an Oregon fan. Our opponents have a name for what more often than not happens to us...

...The Big Fade...

mad

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 07:21 PM

KU...

7-0...

WTF?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/10/07 10:07 PM

Quote:
Just chiming in to say.....

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a great game... too bad the Wildcats lost. Tim Tebow is a badass... as a fan of college football, it was a lot of fun watching him play, even though it was at UK's expense.
frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/10/07 02:44 AM

Presenting....

...the first item of clothing I've ever made!

Just in time for Florida/Georgia weekend!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 22/10/07 05:04 AM

Is that for Tim Tebow to wear to the pre-game festivities? laugh

Seriously, it's cute. Knowing this board, I'm sure a shot of you modeling it would be a hit.

ETA: PNWBeers, looking at Oregon's upcoming schedule, we'll see what they're made of soon enough. Since UCLA & Oregon St. beat Cal, who beat Oregon, hope the Ducks don't get caught looking ahead to the Bruins and Beavers with USC and Arizona State next on their dance card. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/10/07 07:19 PM

3Q now...

...So, BC is the second best team in the country? :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/10/07 07:59 PM

Quote:
3Q now...

...So, BC is the second best team in the country? :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/10/07 08:56 PM

Ugh. They fucking escaped. What an ugly game.

Here's to JoePa and co. upsetting OSU this weekend! [ThumbsUp] :FUCK"THE"OHIOSTATEUNIVERSITY!:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 27/10/07 10:57 AM

Big one coming up soon - USC at Oregon. That defense scares the crap out of me, but what the hell. If Oregon limits turnovers and gets the early lead they've got a good shot in this one. If not, well, it's been a hell of a ride so far.

[drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/11/07 07:30 AM

Quote:
Big one coming up soon - USC at Oregon. That defense scares the crap out of me, but what the hell. If Oregon limits turnovers and gets the early lead they've got a good shot in this one. If not, well, it's been a hell of a ride so far.

[drink]
USC - CHECK! We got a little too conservative there at at the end of that one, but still took care of business. eek [drink]

ASU: Gonna be tough, but the Ducks should take 'em down if they play smart. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

I'm moving my entire work schedule to Sunday so I can focus on the game. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/11/07 06:58 PM

GO BUCKS!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 06:12 AM

4 v. 5 today in Autzen, Gameday back for the second time, Oregon favored...

...hope we don't fuck it up. [Uh Oh !]

ASU's defense matches up against us fairly well, actually. Both DE's have good speed and that could hurt the option, and they have a very talented and fast LB that's leading the team in tackles. Unlike USC, the entire front 7 isn't NFL caliber (no, I'm not exaggerating at all - those fuckers are incredible), so if we don't turn the ball over I like our chances in this one.

Best sign from last week: "No Trojan can hold our Dixon." laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:19 AM

I think this one's gonna be very close.

Ducks by 7 in the end!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 12:53 PM

GO GATORS!!!! I forgot to post pics of my Florida/Georgia outfit:

And pics from walking around RV City the Thursday night before:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 12:54 PM

More from RV City. Then done. smile

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 01:15 PM

ETA: Nevermind, the pics work now.

BTW, is there any question that NU went from the best team in the Big XII to the worst? Wow, they are simply pathetic. I'm enjoying it though because I play in a FFL with all Husker fans and I can't wait until they're on our schedule again next year. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 04:34 PM

Wow. Another Texas comeback over Oklahoma State. I had completely giving up on the Horns. I guess we are a 4th quarter team and it pisses me off.
mad mad mad

Since when can your review penalties? You can review if a QB went past the line of scrimmage? You should be able to review pass interference calls if that's the case. wtfo?

And are there still some Kansas doubters? eek

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 05:06 PM

Quote:
And are there still some Kansas doubters? eek
I am until they play Mizzou, the only team on their schedule. Major props for no longer losing to the crappy teams though. [ThumbsUp]

I missed the UT game... how in the hell did they put up 24 in the 4th? eek

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 08:59 PM

Yeah! The lie that is BC finally lost. I had them pinned to lose at Clemson, but this will work. Wow, pnwbeers... your team might be in the mNC! Congrats to your season. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:25 PM

QUACK!! QUACK!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:39 PM

^^^^ Hell Yeah!!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah! The lie that is BC finally lost. I had them pinned to lose at Clemson, but this will work. Wow, pnwbeers... your team might be in the mNC! Congrats to your season. [ThumbsUp]
Oregon is easily a top 3 team.

I can't decide if I like Ohio State but LSU is probably the best team that I have watched. I would love to see a Oregon vs LSU NC. Big 10 is just a crappy conference this year and tOSU just happens to be the best in it right now.

There, you can't say that Oregon doesn't get any love around here. :p wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]And are there still some Kansas doubters? eek
I am until they play Mizzou, the only team on their schedule. Major props for no longer losing to the crappy teams though. [ThumbsUp]

I missed the UT game... how in the hell did they put up 24 in the 4th? eek [/b]
The same way they did it against Nebraska. Jamal Charles ran all over their ass in the final 12 minutes. [Freak]

I can't decide if Oklahoma state decides to grab defeat out of a certain victory or Texas finds a victory out of a certain defeat.

If Mack Brown wonders why this team gets criticized so much, just look at this game. Ah whatever, I'm finished trying to determine what this team actually is. barring a miracle from Tech and Okie St. this Texas team doesn't matter anyway. :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/11/07 09:55 PM

Quote:
Wow, pnwbeers... your team might be in the mNC! Congrats to your season. [ThumbsUp]
Three more tough games to go, but yeah, this is a fucking awesome season. [drink]

Little worried about Dixon's knee, but all reports are that it was just a mild strain and he could have come back in the game (if we weren't kicking the ever loving shit out of those Sun Devils.) MLB starter John Bacon lost for the year, though. Injuries are really mounting up for the Ducks this year - the depth we've displayed so far has been very impressive.

Assuming we can win out, we probably need another loss to get into that NC game. Roses are a hell of a sweet consolation prize, though. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 08:00 AM

I have to say pnw, Oregon looked impressive yesterday.

I like Oregon and LSU in the title game. LSU would destroy Ohio State. Though it seems to me Les Miles likes to get his team to play to the competitions level at times.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 08:09 AM

The old Poke Choke. Okstate is know for blowing big leads in the second half, all we ask is that the damn kicker do his job, his one job, make the field goal when we need it. mad

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 08:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Wow, pnwbeers... your team might be in the mNC! Congrats to your season. [ThumbsUp]
Three more tough games to go, but yeah, this is a fucking awesome season. [drink]

Little worried about Dixon's knee, but all reports are that it was just a mild strain and he could have come back in the game (if we weren't kicking the ever loving shit out of those Sun Devils.) MLB starter John Bacon lost for the year, though. Injuries are really mounting up for the Ducks this year - the depth we've displayed so far has been very impressive.

Assuming we can win out, we probably need another loss to get into that NC game. Roses are a hell of a sweet consolation prize, though. laugh [/b]
I so hope the freaks in green bog down soon. Sadly, I have to hand it to them though, they took care of USC and Arizona State. [ThumbsDown]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]And are there still some Kansas doubters? eek
[/b]
While I wouldn't put them up there quite yet... IF kansas somehow wins out (and that's a BIG IF)... beats Mizzou... and wins the Big 12 Championship... I don't see how anyone can deny an undefeated Big 12 champion a shot at the national title...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 01:54 PM

I have a hard time seeing KU jumping LSU and Oregon given the state of the Big 12 this year and KU's schedule. But they are getting higher on the list...

New BCS standings...

1. Ohio State .995
2. LSU .941
3. Oregon .918
4. Kansas .843
5. Oklahoma .839
ASU is #9

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 02:10 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7408400_37_1.pdf

There's a link to the official standings...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 05:20 PM

Quote:
While I wouldn't put them up there quite yet... IF kansas somehow wins out (and that's a BIG IF)... beats Mizzou... and wins the Big 12 Championship... I don't see how anyone can deny an undefeated Big 12 champion a shot at the national title...
I would agree, I just don't see it happening when they finally play someone legit. Their first real test in the coming weekend when they go to Stillwater. And I love how everyone bashes the Big XII for beating the crap out of each other, but when it happens in the SEC it's just a "really tough conference". :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/11/07 06:21 PM

Quote:
The same way they did it against Nebraska. Jamal Charles ran all over their ass in the final 12 minutes. [Freak]
Great, I bet he's salivating this week as he gets a crack at our vaunted run defense. [LOL]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 05/11/07 01:14 PM

Looks like Franchione\'s days are numbered, indeed.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/11/07 02:49 PM

GO BUCKS!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/11/07 05:42 AM

Caution: AU fan ahead. First of all, the Ducks are looking strong these days. I have become a closet Duck fan because my wife likes their "outfits"-what can I say?
BTW- TA&M, look somewhere else for a coach. We would prefer keeping Tubby. Continuity is vastly underated these days. Just ask the Steelers. It does eventually pay off.
WAR EAGLE

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/11/07 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WilliamK:
Caution: AU fan ahead. First of all, the Ducks are looking strong these days. I have become a closet Duck fan because my wife likes their "outfits"-what can I say?
Their "outfits" look like clown suits in a circus sponsored by John Deere and a truck-bed toolbox manufacturer. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/11/07 12:36 PM

Quote:
Their "outfits" look like clown suits in a circus sponsored by John Deere and a truck-bed toolbox manufacturer. laugh
[Spit]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/11/07 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Caution: AU fan ahead. First of all, the Ducks are looking strong these days. I have become a closet Duck fan because my wife likes their "outfits"-what can I say?
Their "outfits" look like clown suits in a circus sponsored by John Deere and a truck-bed toolbox manufacturer. laugh [/b]
Said the mullet-sporting sooner... [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 03:32 PM

Quote:

GO BUCKS!
[Wave]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 03:33 PM

Quote:
GO BUCKS!
And down go the Buckeyes...

laugh

Ron Zook has done an incredible job at Illinois....

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 03:39 PM

Quote:

All kidding aside, he's going to have that program absolutely dominating the Big 10 in a couple of years if he keeps recruiting speed. Three yards and a cloud of dust won't work anymore.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 04:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
All kidding aside, he's going to have that program absolutely dominating the Big 10 in a couple of years if he keeps recruiting speed. Three yards and a cloud of dust won't work anymore.[/b]
He's essentially bringing the speed he recruited at Florida to the Big Ten... and his recruiting lately has been off the charts... leaving the recruiting 'gurus' befuddled at how he's able to convince so much talent to Champaign, IL...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 07:39 PM

Wow, Kansas is looking good in their first "real" game of the season. If they run the table, it would be Kansas vs. LSU. eek When is this damn worthless BCS contract up? [Uh Oh !]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 09:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, Kansas is looking good in their first "real" game of the season. If they run the table, it would be Kansas vs. LSU. eek When is this damn worthless BCS contract up? [Uh Oh !]
What's wrong with KU vs. LSU?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 09:22 PM

You'd have to ask the long line of one loss teams... including our resident Oregon fan.

Something tells me that KU will either lose to Mizzou or OU. Then, everyone will have one loss. How will they sort that mess out?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/11/07 09:45 PM

If KU beats Missouri and OU, it's kind of hard for me to bitch about them being in the NC game (though that's still a cupcake schedule.) That said, I expect them to lose to Missouri, and I expect OU to win the Big 12 Championship game. Now I would have a MAJOR problem with a 1-loss Big 12 squad jumping a 1-loss Oregon or 1-loss LSU - the schedule flat out doesn't warrant that.

All that being said, I have a very uneasy feeling about Oregon's game next Thursday night. I think that's the toughest game left on the schedule, to be honest. Their asshat coach (the fat Stoops) has a history of sending his guys out for cheap shots on opposing QB's - you can bet they'll try to take Dixon out of the game. I hate that bastard.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 03:44 AM

Hey BCS,
Kansas vs. Hawaii for Nat'l Championship?. Plus, I want to say congrats to UGA. Ya'll looked good and played even better.
WAR EAGLE

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 10:35 AM

Quote:
If KU beats Missouri and OU, it's kind of hard for me to bitch about them being in the NC game (though that's still a cupcake schedule.)
Man, I just find that hard to believe. Not only did ya'll go to Michigan in non-conference, you had to play the toughest teams in your conference. KU doesn't even play Texas, OU and Tech (Ok, Tech is not that great, but we are still pretty tough kind of like Cal). I guess if they beat Mizzou, they'll play OU though. Stil, I would be complaining, but maybe that's just me. Oh, and I hate the BCS so I'll always be complaining. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]If KU beats Missouri and OU, it's kind of hard for me to bitch about them being in the NC game (though that's still a cupcake schedule.)
Man, I just find that hard to believe. Not only did ya'll go to Michigan in non-conference, you had to play the toughest teams in your conference. KU doesn't even play Texas, OU and Tech (Ok, Tech is not that great, but we are still pretty tough kind of like Cal). I guess if they beat Mizzou, they'll play OU though. Stil, I would be complaining, but maybe that's just me. Oh, and I hate the BCS so I'll always be complaining. laugh [/b]
Honestly, if it comes down to that I'll be pissed, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Oregon didn't jump LSU in either poll, btw. Getting quite a few first place votes, though.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 03:37 PM

I'm no fan, whatsoever, of the BCS BS. But have you watched KU play? Who else has put 76 on the board vs. Nebraska this year? Yes, Nebraska sucks this year, but still who?

The BCS is far from anything resembling ideal, but it's what we got so [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 06:20 PM

Quote:
I'm no fan, whatsoever, of the BCS BS. But have you watched KU play? Who else has put 76 on the board vs. Nebraska this year? Yes, Nebraska sucks this year, but still who?
I've watched them play a couple of games. Well coached, but short on talent. I really think an LSU or Oregon this year would smoke them pretty badly, but I guess that's conjecture on my part as they've yet to play a top 30 team. Their schedule absolutely blows.

Actually, I read or heard that the "Big" 12 is something like 1-17 in their last 18 nonconference games against ranked opponents. [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/11/07 06:52 PM

Quote:
Trust me, it's no big deal. Just ask my Red Raiders. laugh No one else did it because no one else needed to. NU was in the game for half the game. Everyone else blew them out from the beginning. Plus, I'm sure KU had some serious payback and wanted to pile on Nebraska while they're down... sort of like what we did. We were 0-13 against them when we hung 70 on them. What comes around goes around.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 12/11/07 04:52 PM

Leach is treading dangerously close to little bitch territory, Nismo...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 12/11/07 05:59 PM

What's sad is he's 100% right, but it's the only way to get things fixed in the Big XII. This is the 2nd year in a row that we got screwed by this ref against Texas. This year wouldn't have really mattered, but it sure would have last year. He's had enough, but unfortunately everybody is taking it out of context by thinking that he's saying that's why we lost the game. All he's saying is a long term resident of Austin should not ref UT games, just like a long term resident of Lubbock shouldn't ref Tech games. It's really pretty simple. I think other conferences have rules against that that sort of thing or something similar. If you don't agree with that, then may karma strike your team. [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/11/07 07:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Caution: AU fan ahead. First of all, the Ducks are looking strong these days. I have become a closet Duck fan because my wife likes their "outfits"-what can I say?
Their "outfits" look like clown suits in a circus sponsored by John Deere and a truck-bed toolbox manufacturer. laugh [/b]
Said the mullet-sporting sooner... [Finger] [/b]
Sir, I have never sported a mullet...but given the choice between that and an Oregon uniform, I would forcibly grow my hair back and happily choose the mullet. laugh

Quote:

All that being said, I have a very uneasy feeling about Oregon's game next Thursday night. I think that's the toughest game left on the schedule, to be honest. Their asshat coach (the fat Stoops) has a history of sending his guys out for cheap shots on opposing QB's - you can bet they'll try to take Dixon out of the game. I hate that bastard.
Wait...you're bitching IN ADVANCE? Good grief. And can you back your claim with examples of cheap shots taken by Arizona?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/11/07 05:42 PM

Quote:
And can you back your claim with examples of cheap shots taken by Arizona?
Oregon-Arizona 2005. They broke our starting QB's leg (Kellen Clemens - with the Jets now), and on the next play did a helmut-to-helmut on then sophmore Dennis Dixon that took him out of the game. Third stringer Brady Leaf came in and we held on to win, but afterwords Stoops said "We lost, but at least we took out a couple of their quarterbacks." Class act all the way.

I guess class runs in the family... wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/11/07 06:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]And can you back your claim with examples of cheap shots taken by Arizona?
Oregon-Arizona 2005. They broke our starting QB's leg (Kellen Clemens - with the Jets now), and on the next play did a helmut-to-helmut on then sophmore Dennis Dixon that took him out of the game. Third stringer Brady Leaf came in and we held on to win, but afterwords Stoops said "We lost, but at least we took out a couple of their quarterbacks." Class act all the way.

I guess class runs in the family... wink [/b]
Well, I'm forced to agree...that's not right. Still, right about now I have two favorite college football teams, OU and whoever's playing Oregon. So this young lady conveys my feelings quite nicely for Thursday:

And if Oregon happens to lose and Oklahoma happens to win...well, that would be peachy. Except I have that same uneasy feeling about the Sooners going to Lubbock. [Uh Oh !]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/11/07 06:25 PM

Quote:
Except I have that same uneasy feeling about the Sooners going to Lubbock. [Uh Oh !]
Just think about our defense and that will put your mind at ease. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 13/11/07 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]And can you back your claim with examples of cheap shots taken by Arizona?

I guess class runs in the family... wink [/b]
Well, I'm forced to agree...that's not right. Still, right about now I have two favorite college football teams, OU and whoever's playing Oregon. So this young lady conveys my feelings quite nicely for Thursday:

And if Oregon happens to lose and Oklahoma happens to win...well, that would be peachy. Except I have that same uneasy feeling about the Sooners going to Lubbock. [Uh Oh !] [/b]
Direct some hate towards LSU too - if either one looses and OU wins out the Sooners should be in the title game. I understand you pulling for UA because it's in OU's best interest, but understand you're pulling for a classless head-case of a coach at the same time. At least pull for UCLA or OSU to pull the upset, because those programs both have class guys at the helm.

Anyway, this smack is unwarranted and unwise at this point (yes, I'm superstitious when it comes to CFB.) Oregon still needs to win three more games and get help to even be in the NC game.

OU will absolutely roll Tech, btw. No offense Nismo, but your defense is horrid and Leach's one-dimensional offense may be fun to watch but will almost never win a big game. If you ever want Tech to win a conference championship, they'd better learn to run the damn ball.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 14/11/07 05:48 PM

Quote:
No offense Nismo, but your defense is horrid
No offense? I just basically said the same thing right before you.

Here you go, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRaXRNRVjM

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/11/07 07:40 PM

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Dennis Dixon out, probably done for the year. I feel terrible for him - great kid, and he was crying on the sideline after the reality of what happened sunk in. Then of course the team imploded, and there's almost no chance they can come back from this halftime deficit.

This sucks. frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/11/07 08:11 PM

Man... that sucks for Oregon... but it's not Dixon's fault that Arizona has scored 31 points on the Duck defense... 21 in the 2nd qtr...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/11/07 08:45 PM

Quote:
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Dennis Dixon out, probably done for the year. I feel terrible for him - great kid, and he was crying on the sideline after the reality of what happened sunk in. Then of course the team imploded, and there's almost no chance they can come back from this halftime deficit.

This sucks. frown
x2.... *&^%*&^%*&%*!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hurts.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/11/07 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
Quote:
[b]FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

This sucks. frown
x2.... *&^%*&^%*&%*!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hurts.[/b]
x3...damn....

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 15/11/07 10:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]

GO BUCKS!
[Wave] [/b]
Serves you right bitches. laugh [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 03:56 AM

Quote:

(CENSORED!)

This sucks. frown
It does suck. OK, I wanted Oregon to lose, but not like that. It was a shame to see Dixon go down, especially on a non-contact play. I mean that; I felt bad for him when they showed him on the sideline. But I have to jab you just once, man...you're not going to suggest Stoops put the turf up to injuring him, are you? wink

The guy's a dynamic player and Oregon looked unstoppable on those first couple of drives. But should one player make that much of a difference? They totally folded. I've seen it before, living in the Atlanta area as I do; it's the Mike Vick effect. The Falcons lived or died by Vick as Oregon apparently does with Dixon. You could see the team deflate when he was injured.

Is there a debate up there about whether he should have been playing on that knee?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 05:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]

(CENSORED!)

This sucks. frown
It does suck. OK, I wanted Oregon to lose, but not like that. It was a shame to see Dixon go down, especially on a non-contact play. I mean that; I felt bad for him when they showed him on the sideline. But I have to jab you just once, man...you're not going to suggest Stoops put the turf up to injuring him, are you? wink

The guy's a dynamic player and Oregon looked unstoppable on those first couple of drives. But should one player make that much of a difference? They totally folded. I've seen it before, living in the Atlanta area as I do; it's the Mike Vick effect. The Falcons lived or died by Vick as Oregon apparently does with Dixon. You could see the team deflate when he was injured.

Is there a debate up there about whether he should have been playing on that knee?[/b]
Dixon ran the entire offense, and the really was the leader of the entire team. So yeah, one player is that important in this instance.

Regarding the defense comment above, they didn't actually give up all those points (UA's defense scored on some turnovers). They held UA down enough that the offense should have won the game had it not totally folded. The thing that sucks is the QB that'll take over next year, who's ran the spread option since high school, blew his knee out in practice about a month ago. So we're stuck with Leaf the rest of the way.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 08:35 AM

As much as I was cheering for Arizona... we all hate to see a great kid like Dixon to go down like that... the injury not only cost them the game, it more than likely gave Tebow the Heisman lead at this point...

Here's to hoping Dixon gets back to a fast and full recovery. [drink]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 09:00 AM

Quote:

All that being said, I have a very uneasy feeling about Oregon's game next Thursday night.
BTW, can you lend me some help with the winning numbers for the next Mega Millions drawing?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 09:43 AM

Quote:
As much as I was cheering for Arizona...
And exactly how many teams do you cheer for again, Long? laugh

Yeah, tough break for Dixon and Oregon though. I still maintain that Oregon should have played Miami for the title back in 2002.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 09:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]As much as I was cheering for Arizona...
And exactly how many teams do you cheer for again, Long? laugh
[/b]
I was cheering for them in the sense of an underdog... [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 03:20 PM

Courtesy of SI.com

West Virginia, which declined to go in the tank following its Sept. 28 loss to South Florida, now stands to reap some serious dividends. The Ducks dispatched, the Mountaineers will bump up to No. 5 -- behind a trio of Big 12 teams who will soon be taking whacks at each other.

Dream scenario for Pat White, Steve Slaton, et al.: Missouri loses to Kansas State on Saturday. (Not likely, but not completely farfetched: Remember, the Tigers haven't won in Manhattan since 1989.) Mizzou rallies to knock off bitter rival Kansas in Arrowhead Stadium on Nov. 24 and Oklahoma a week later in the Big 12 title game, clearing a path to the No. 2 spot for the Mountaineers ... who won't be able to seize it, of course, unless they take care of business on Saturday in suddenly imposing (though still faintly ridiculous sounding) Nippert Stadium, lair of the Cincinnati Bearcats.

The fevered musings of the preceding passage are based on the presumption that LSU will win out, a shaky presumption this season.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 03:26 PM

Oh well... cheer up Oregon fans...

at least you guys still have some of the hottest cheerleaders in the country...

Oregon Cheerleader Photo Gallery

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 05:17 PM

Quote:

By far.

Some additional thoughts after some reflection.

Oregon's defense stepped up in a huge way. Yes UA scored 21 points in the third, but only 7 were scored on the defense. They were on the field a ton, made plays that gave the offense opportunities to come back, and showed a lot of heart. I'm proud of those guys.

Offense...gotta pull your heads out, guys. Leaf looked like crap, WR's were dropping balls all over the place, offensive line wasn't protecting or blocking well. Stewart played out of his mind and looked absolutely exhausted (and hurt) by the end of the game. I hope he's okay, because if he goes down we're absolutely fucked. I'd not trade him for any RB in the country, no offense intended to any Arkansas fans.

EVERY break went against us in this one, from the stupid pick, the punt return for TD that wasn't called back after a blatant illegal block, the fake put on 4th that went for 40 and was then fumbled, etc. BRUTAL game to watch. I woke up about 12 times last night because I couldn't get it out of my mind. Maybe my love for CFB runs a little too deep. laugh

If USC or UA beats ASU (and I think USC will do so handily) and Oregon finds a way to win out, we'll still win the Pac 10 and play in the Rose Bowl. Not sure how we'd do in it without a QB, but I'd love to find out.

It's still great to be a Duck, and hat's off to Dennis Dixon. Tebow's got better stats, but Dixon was the better player all year. Good luck in the NFL or MLB. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/11/07 05:57 PM

Quote:

I think I saw that chick on the right end in the "Grudge"!

The rest are smokin' hot!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 02:17 AM

Let's Go Mountaineers!

Well as much as I love my team, anybody that knows WVU knows that they tend to trip over themselves with numerous little mistakes when the pressure is on. I remember games in the past with Miami and Virginia Tech that could have been a big "W" if it weren't for the last 30 seconds of the game. Teh last time WVU made it to the title game was in 1989. But maybe some luck is on our side this year...

I am loving this season becuase the chamionship is wide open and we are seeing new teams all over the Top 5 and Top 25.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 03:33 AM

Quote:

EVERY break went against us in this one, from the stupid pick, the punt return for TD that wasn't called back after a blatant illegal block, the fake put on 4th that went for 40 and was then fumbled, etc. BRUTAL game to watch. I woke up about 12 times last night because I couldn't get it out of my mind. Maybe my love for CFB runs a little too deep. laugh
OK, gotta call you out here. You've got some basketball-sized brass ones whining about all those terrible breaks Oregon supposedly got after you called the Sooners "pOUters" for protesting that travesty that happened last year. For those unfamiliar with it:

"An onside kick by Oregon after its first late touchdown was touched by a Ducks player before it traveled the required 10 yards, and the Pac-10 ruled that the ball should have been awarded to Oklahoma. The league also said that video revealed that an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball.

Officials on the field gave the ball to Oregon, and replay officials did not overturn that decision."

Oregon then scored again and won by a point. The PAC-10 suspended the officials involved and said:

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

BFD, it was still an L for OU.

Full Story

We both know where we stand on that one so let's not revisit it. I bring it up only to illustrate a point. You said one thing at the time that I was forced to agree with: if Oklahoma had taken care of its business in the first 59 minutes, the refs wouldn't have been in a position to hand Oregon the game. Thus you obviously know that had the Ducks taken care of business vs. Arizona, those "breaks" would've taken care of themselves.

So yeah, Arizona got a few breaks, but in the immortal words of Rod Tidwell in Jerry Maguire, "Well, boo f**kin' hoo."

Some say I'm still bitter. laugh

ETA: Good to know at least one person up there had the integrity to call it what it was...

"The Truth Shall Set You Free" - The Oregonian

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 05:19 AM

GO BUCKS BEAT michigan!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 07:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
OK, gotta call you out here. You've got some basketball-sized brass ones whining about all those terrible breaks Oregon supposedly got after you called the Sooners "pOUters" for protesting that travesty that happened last year. For those unfamiliar with it:[/URL][/b]
You're "calling me out"??? Notice I just said that every break went against us. I'm not whining about supposedly biased refs, that the game was stolen from us, that my pussy hurts really bad, etc. We lost. I'm pissed, but I'm moving on. Basically I'm not acting at all like you pOUters did. You poor bastards stuck living in Oklahoma need more things to occupy yourselves with, because obsessiveness and ignorance is a bad combination.

Go Tech and every other soft-ass team on your schedule. wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 07:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
OK, gotta call you out here. You've got some basketball-sized brass ones whining about all those terrible breaks Oregon supposedly got after you called the Sooners "pOUters" for protesting that travesty that happened last year. For those unfamiliar with it:[/URL][/b]
You're "calling me out"??? Notice I just said that every break went against us. I'm not whining about supposedly biased refs, that the game was stolen from us, that my pussy hurts really bad, etc. We lost. I'm pissed, but I'm moving on. Basically I'm not acting at all like you pOUters did. You poor bastards stuck living in Oklahoma need more things to occupy yourselves with, because obsessiveness and ignorance is a bad combination.

Go Tech and every other soft-ass team on your schedule. wink [/b]
You're not whining about biased refs...but you ARE whining.

And you must not read so well because as you would otherwise see, I live in Georgia. In fact, I've never lived in Oklahoma. Didn't go to OU either, my wife did.

But you don't have to be a grad to recognize crooked officiating when you see it. :p

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 08:11 AM

Quote:
In fact, I've never lived in Oklahoma.
Where is your degree(s) from? If you don't have one, why not just be an NFL fan? I guess an OU fan without an OU degree that lives in Georgia (condolences) is pretty much an NFL fan. [Wave]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 08:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]In fact, I've never lived in Oklahoma.
Where is your degree(s) from? If you don't have one, why not just be an NFL fan? I guess an OU fan without an OU degree that lives in Georgia (condolences) is pretty much an NFL fan. [Wave] [/b]
Hey, I don't need your sympathy, but thanks anyway. And did I miss something? Is a degree from a certain school a prerequisite for being a fan of that team, or of college football in general? Come on, I've never lived in Arizona either but that didn't stop me from being an enthusiastic Wildcat fan for a few hours Thursday night. laugh

I'm a proud Sooner-in-law, that's close enough for me.

Your responses today are disappointing. Do I have a degree (no if it's any of your business), you're sorry I live in Georgia blah blah blah...don't pull a Madman here and make this personal.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 02:44 PM

Alabama just lost at home to Louisiana-Monroe...holy moly!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 03:39 PM

Quote:
Your responses today are disappointing. Do I have a degree (no if it's any of your business), you're sorry I live in Georgia blah blah blah...don't pull a Madman here and make this personal.
Point taken.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 08:32 PM

Damn - Tech is kicking OU's ass (4th Q now).

Congrats Nismo - they look good. [ThumbsUp]

BOOHOOMER SOONER!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/11/07 09:52 PM

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 12:29 AM

Quote:
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Go Oklahoma State!!!!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy*:
Let's Go Mountaineers!

Well as much as I love my team, anybody that knows WVU knows that they tend to trip over themselves with numerous little mistakes when the pressure is on. I remember games in the past with Miami and Virginia Tech that could have been a big "W" if it weren't for the last 30 seconds of the game. Teh last time WVU made it to the title game was in 1989. But maybe some luck is on our side this year...

I am loving this season becuase the chamionship is wide open and we are seeing new teams all over the Top 5 and Top 25.
WVU needs to:

1) win out AND
2) see either LSU lose AND/OR
3) see Oklahoma win the Big 12 over the KU/MU winner

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 03:05 AM

Quote:
Damn - Tech is kicking OU's ass (4th Q now).

Congrats Nismo - they look good. [ThumbsUp]

BOOHOOMER SOONER!!!
Let's see...national TV...great start...injured QB...subpar replacement...general meltdown...Championship hopes crushed. Yeah, looks like you and I ended up in the same %&$#*#& boat. Well, f**k a Duck! laugh

The Sooners had more than enough chances, even after falling behind, and Tech was just the better team Saturday night. A disappointing loss with some key injuries tossed in for good measure. mad
Posted by: OrganDonor

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 06:40 AM

Guns Up!

I was disappointed last week when they lost to Texas, but I'd rather them beat the BooHoomer Sooners over anyone else. Two in a row now with OU at Tech!

Gator Bowl Bound?? Nice!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 08:56 AM

Quote:
That was my drunken post of the night. laugh I'm very happy with what I saw from this team this year despite losing 2 games we really shouldn't have. We are the 2nd youngest team in the nation and it's hard to believe that Harrell is only a junior, Crabtree is only a freshman eek and the defense is very young with more talent coming in to help. Next year should be a very big year for us. If we're ever going to win anything significant under Leach, it'll be next eyar. There's still a lot of football left though so I'm taking Bowl predictions with a grain of salt right now.

"Oklahoma, you have a very good offense. But today, you're fired!" - Donald Trump [Smoking]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 18/11/07 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
That was my drunken post of the night. laugh I'm very happy with what I saw from this team this year despite losing 2 games we really shouldn't have. We are the 2nd youngest team in the nation and it's hard to believe that Harrell is only a junior, Crabtree is only a freshman eek and the defense is very young with more talent coming in to help. Next year should be a very big year for us. If we're ever going to win anything significant under Leach, it'll be next eyar. There's still a lot of football left though so I'm taking Bowl predictions with a grain of salt right now.

"Oklahoma, you have a very good offense. But today, you're fired!" - Donald Trump [Smoking] [/b]
Crabtree is spectacular, but I'll take Bradford at QB, and he's a redshirt freshman. He does need to work on staying out of the way when huge slobbering linebackers with visions of the end zone scoop up fumbles and head his way. [Uh Oh !]

That Tech offense is kind of gimmicky and as the old saying goes, when you pass 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad. Hmmm...actually 4 things can happen if you include a sack, so that makes 3 of them bad. So if all you can do is pass...

When it works it's fun to watch but in the long run it's too hit and miss. More balance = more success.

Congrats on a big win.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/11/07 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue

WVU needs to:

1) win out AND
2) see either LSU lose AND/OR
3) see Oklahoma win the Big 12 over the KU/MU winner
I completely agree. Who knows now, God must be a Mountaineer fan this year for us to come back like this. We need to keep the turnovers down and keep Slaton pounding away at the ground to open up more options for White.

Quote:
As Pat Forde stated and complimented your quote:
If LSU should lose, or some school not named Kansas or Missouri should win the Big 12 title, West Virginia can complete a two-month backdoor play to New Orleans. Of course, the Mountaineers would have to win their final two games, at home against No. 24 Connecticut and Pittsburgh.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/11/07 06:42 AM

pnwbeers, was this you:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188#s=188&f=1650&t=1449419

? laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/11/07 09:04 AM

I think there's something wrong with people like that poster who get that torqued up about this stuff. Seriously.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/11/07 11:46 AM

Quote:
pnwbeers, was this you:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188#s=188&f=1650&t=1449419

? laugh
No, but I share many of the sentiments in that thread. The three stoops =

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 19/11/07 07:27 PM

Larry, Curly, or Moe never held up a National Championship trophy. Bob Stoops did. [Smoking]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 21/11/07 12:37 PM

Interesting tidbit from Si.com....

Did the Oregon coaching staff know that Dennis Dixon had a torn ACL going into the Arizona game? If so, why is there no criticism of the fact that they played a guy knowing that this was a huge risk for his pro career. I know they are playing for a national title, but what about the long-term health and financial ramifications for Dixon?
--Cristian, Washington D.C.

It's a good question. When the news first came out over the weekend that Dixon had indeed attempted to play with a torn ACL, my reaction, like a lot peoples, was "Wow ... what a warrior!" As the details surrounding his injury started to emerge, however, I found myself wondering whether Ducks coach Mike Bellotti temporarily lost his mind.

All parties apparently knew the extent of Dixon's injury shortly after it occurred late in the Nov. 3 Arizona State game. After consulting with two doctors, Dixon opted to delay surgery and attempt to keep playing and asked the school not to publicly disclose the ACL diagnosis. I don't blame a 22-year-old athlete in the thick of both national title and Heisman contention for wanting to continue competing, but Bellotti is a 56-year-old adult charged with protecting his players' welfare. You would think he would have interceded. Instead, Bellotti told reporters after the fact, "I took myself out of it. That was Dennis' decision, and the doctors clearing him."

You did what? You're the head coach and you "took yourself out of" the most important decision of your season? I have no medical training, so it's not for me to surmise whether the doctors should or should not have cleared Dixon to play, but it does seem puzzling that team doctor Robert Crist told The Oregonian after the fact that Dixon could have sustained damage to other ligaments and if so, "could never completely recover from the injury."

Presumably, Bellotti was made aware of that risk, yet opted not only to allow Dixon to play but then actively engaged in a public cover-up of the injury, even after the QB went down against Arizona. As a writer who was there that night told me, Bellotti -- knowing full well the severity of what had just happened -- told reporters with a straight face: "I don't know the degree [of the injury]. I haven't talked to [the doctors] completely."

Dixon's injury was obviously extremely unfortunate both for him and the many fans around the country who'd come to enjoy watching him. The handling of it was truly bizarre.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/11/07 05:12 PM

I blew out my ACL while in the Marines. Straight line running was OK but as soon as you try to cut you drop like a sack of potatoes. Nothing is holding your knee in place and it hurts like hell when it gives. Luckily I didn't do any further damage but the ACL was enough. He had no business being on that field. He is not a drop back passer and I didn't see his knee in a brace.

On a different note, HOLY SHIT LSU's bubble just got burst. ASU's BCS dreams are gone.

My beloved Buckeyes might back door their way into the NCG!

What is the world coming to?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/11/07 05:16 PM

Down goes #1... AGAIN. [Smoking]

GO A&M! Keep Fran! laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/11/07 06:06 PM

Fran just threw in the towel. He's out.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 23/11/07 06:17 PM

Oh well, we'll beat who ever's ass they bring in again. laugh
Posted by: kirby34

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 24/11/07 04:14 PM

Still no love for the UH Warriors? Will they finally crack the BCS top 12?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 24/11/07 05:53 PM

Hard to leave them out now, especially since everyone knows that Mich. St. dropped them off their schedule this year and Michigan would rather schedule App. St. instead of Hawaii. At least they tried, unlike Kansas who is currently ranked 2nd off a crappier schedule.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 24/11/07 09:14 PM

Down goes #1 and #2 AGAIN on the same weekend. How many times is that now? Gotta be a record. Crazy football season.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 07:38 AM

Vote for Tim Tebow NOW!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 08:10 AM

Quote:
Vote for Tim Tebow NOW!
How the hell is Chase Daniel leading?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 09:53 AM

People have seen Tebow in that Gator sundress Liz made for him. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 10:26 AM

McFadden won it with that game against LSU.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 12:35 PM

Quote:
People have seen Tebow in that Gator sundress Liz made for him. laugh
Nah, he looked hot in that too!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 02:56 PM

Gawd Oregon has fallen hard - I guess that's what you get when you're forced to play your 4th and 5th string QB's in a conference road game (with a collective 1 conference pass between them prior to Saturday and about 3 weeks practice with the offense) because there's literally nobody else available. [Freak]

This team has taken a beating.

At least I've still got Kansas to root for...err, crap.

At least Les lost. [Finger]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kirby34:
Still no love for the UH Warriors? Will they finally crack the BCS top 12?
Top 12 on the button. BSU-Hawaii was a really fun game to watch on Friday night. The Warriors should beat UW, and if they do they'll probably be in the Sugar.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 25/11/07 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by kirby34:
[b]Still no love for the UH Warriors? Will they finally crack the BCS top 12?
Top 12 on the button. BSU-Hawaii was a really fun game to watch on Friday night. The Warriors should beat UW, and if they do they'll probably be in the Sugar.[/b]
Auright.. Go Bows.. errr Warriors. Damn I need to hurry up and graduate. Everyone here is a little nervous about the UW game coming up. Who knows? I just hope Colt Brennan gets a shoot at the Heisman. If we can beat UW I'm sure everyone will pay more attention to him.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 05:17 AM

The rankings are ridiculous. For example, Georgia at #4? They lost to a bad South Carolina team and were spanked by Tennessee, they're not even in the SEC championship game, and they're number 4?

It'll be interesting to see what happens if OU beats Mizzou again. I have no illusions that OU would (or should) play in the national championship game but it sure would scramble the process.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 09:23 AM

I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge Oregon fan (I ran x-country and track for the Ducks), grew up in Oregon, etc, etc, etc, but seriously, who voted for the Ducks in the polls. (yes, that's not even a question...it's a statement...)

We looked SO bad this week it wasn't even funny - it was sad to watch. ...so a "pretty good defense" makes up for throwing a pencil-thin kid in at QB only to get knocked around on every single play??

How can a ranked team still be ranked after scoring ZERO points to a mediocre UCLA?....my goodness.

Horrible ending to a dream season...and I predict the Beavers beat us by at least 3 TDs. Ouch. [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 09:25 AM

Aggies hire Mike Sherman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127846

I hope that this will turn out to be a great hire... and that the Aggies will continue to beat the Horns... :p

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 09:29 AM

Quote:
The rankings are ridiculous. For example, Georgia at #4? They lost to a bad South Carolina team and were spanked by Tennessee, they're not even in the SEC championship game, and they're number 4?
Better question. How is KU #5 after having zero quality wins? Their first test came this weekend they got owned on all aspects of the game. The score was closer than it really was. At least Hawaii beat a ranked team. I personally would put 6-13 ahead of Kansas. I hate college football this time of the year because of the crappy system we have to live with. mad

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 11:41 AM

Quote:
Horrible ending to a dream season...and I predict the Beavers beat us by at least 3 TDs. Ouch. [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !]
Beavs have a lot of key injuries on offense so I don't think they'll score a lot. But neither will Oregon, and I agree that the Beavs will probably win.

This just sucks. A healthy Oregon would own WVU, Mizzou, or tOSU and win the national title. As it is, we'll drop our last three regular season games and likely our bowl game too. I guess that's what happens when your top 3 QBs, top 2 RBs, and top 2 WR's are out. frown

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Horrible ending to a dream season...and I predict the Beavers beat us by at least 3 TDs. Ouch. [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !] [Uh Oh !]
Beavs have a lot of key injuries on offense so I don't think they'll score a lot. But neither will Oregon, and I agree that the Beavs will probably win.

This just sucks. A healthy Oregon would own WVU, Mizzou, or tOSU and win the national title. As it is, we'll drop our last three regular season games and likely our bowl game too. I guess that's what happens when your top 3 QBs, top 2 RBs, and top 2 WR's are out. frown [/b]
A good team in normal-looking uniforms would have worked through a few injuries. And I'm glad you left OU off your "we'd own them" list. laugh

Just pulling your chain...it's brutal when your team has a shot and the wheels fly off. Trust me, I know...aside from being a Sooner-in-law, I'm a lifelong Saints fan. Well, not that they have a shot that often but the wheels sure fly off a lot. :rolleyes:

Come on, man...just this once, just this week, root for the Sooners. You know you want to. smile

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The rankings are ridiculous. For example, Georgia at #4? They lost to a bad South Carolina team and were spanked by Tennessee, they're not even in the SEC championship game, and they're number 4?
Better question. How is KU #5 after having zero quality wins? Their first test came this weekend they got owned on all aspects of the game. The score was closer than it really was. At least Hawaii beat a ranked team. I personally would put 6-13 ahead of Kansas. I hate college football this time of the year because of the crappy system we have to live with. mad [/b]
No need to worry... there's still some football left to be played...

Take this scenario (discussed on ESPN):

Consider that IF BOTH West Va AND Mizzou lose this weekend... Ohio State would move into the title game (obviously) but then the voters may not move up Georgia or Kansas because neither team won their division, let alone their conference... that brings us all the way to... Va Tech and LSU... considering that LSU clobbered Va Tech, if LSU wins the SEC, it wouldn't be impossible to see LSU all of a sudden in the title game against Ohio State thanks to the voters catapulting them over non-division, non-conference winners...

but then again Mizzou and WVA could win out and this would all be moot.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 01:20 PM

Almost forgot...did anybody see the Auburn player bitten by a police K9 during the Auburn-Alabama game? Bizarre.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 01:53 PM

Quote:
Almost forgot...did anybody see the Auburn player bitten by a police K9 during the Auburn-Alabama game? Bizarre.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSpfyIaS6wE

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 26/11/07 05:16 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAMtCCezpfU [Spit]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/11/07 01:25 PM

Quote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAMtCCezpfU [Spit]
[Spit] [LOL] [ThumbsUp]
And, of course, it had to be on #69. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/11/07 01:28 PM

Wow, Baylor just hired Texas Tech's next head coach wink :

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3131738

Good hire for them... I may be a little biased, but he's done a hell of a job resurrecting UofH from the dead.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/11/07 03:17 PM

Too bad Baylor is a coaching graveyard.

I guess for 1.8 million a year, I could be convinced to live in Waco as well... laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/11/07 06:41 PM

Well, like I said, he's just hanging around before he takes the Tech job. Only now, he's getting a taste of the Big XII. Of course, this is all moot if Leach decides to stay long term instead of having his name thrown into open coaches jobs.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 28/11/07 09:06 PM

Quote:
Well, like I said, he's just hanging around before he takes the Tech job. Only now, he's getting a taste of the Big XII. Of course, this is all moot if Leach decides to stay long term instead of having his name thrown into open coaches jobs.
This is also moot if Leach leaves now for Arkansas... [Freak] laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 06:44 AM

Not Arkansas, UCLA. Arkansas is a lateral move at best that got thrown out there while Leach was visiting his Arkasas recruits this past weekend. Rumor has it that he's also trying to steal some of Houston Nutt's recruits as well. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 02:32 PM

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 05:50 PM

I'm an Oklahoma fan this weekend!

GO SOONERS!

YOU CAN DO IT!

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 06:49 PM

Funny, that's how OU got most of its fans, the bandwagon.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JMo:
[Spit]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 29/11/07 10:06 PM

I'm an Ohio State fan hence the Sooner love this weekend. I'd cheer for Pitt too but only way they win is if the WVU bus drives off a cliff before the game.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 05:09 AM

Quote:
[LOL]

Damn - I'm actually kinda sorta pulling for OU this weekend either (I need a shower). Don't get me wrong - the Sooners represent all that has ever been wrong with college football. I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 07:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Funny, that's how OU got most of its fans, the bandwagon.
[LOL]

Damn - I'm actually kinda sorta pulling for OU this weekend either (I need a shower). Don't get me wrong - the Sooners represent all that has ever been wrong with college football. I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.[/b]
And your teams represent all that's pure and holy about college football, right? :rolleyes:

Don't blame OU for your teams' failure to establish a winning tradition.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 10:45 AM

Quote:
I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.
Are you serious with this? The Big 12 was one of the best conferences this year and at least Mizzou would "earn" a shot at the mNC as oppose to that Big 10 school backing their way into it.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Funny, that's how OU got most of its fans, the bandwagon.
[LOL]

Damn - I'm actually kinda sorta pulling for OU this weekend either (I need a shower). Don't get me wrong - the Sooners represent all that has ever been wrong with college football. I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.[/b]
And your teams represent all that's pure and holy about college football, right? :rolleyes:

Don't blame OU for your teams' failure to establish a winning tradition.[/b]
Oregon absolutely sucked at football until the early '90s. Since then they've been ranked in the top 5 several times, have beaten numerous "traditional" national power teams on the field, were wrongfully snubbed from a national title game appearance, and have developed some of the finest football facilties in the country. Right now Oregon's football program can legitimately be considered one of the top 15 or 20 overall programs in the nation. That's a hell of a lot to accomplish in a very short period of time, and Oregon's done it while running a pretty damn clean program.

OU's progam, both in the distant past and more recently, is among the dirtiest in college football. The Sooners have done a ton on the field and I'm not going to diminish that, but the way they've gotten there has left a lot to be desired.

Fuck it.

Go Tigers. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 12:00 PM

[Sleep]

PNWBeers, you know, part of my disappointment at the Sooners blowing their title hopes this year is that had they won it, I would have gotten to see you tied up in a nice big knot. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 01:41 PM

Quote:
Since then they've ... developed some of the finest football facilties in the country. Right now Oregon's football program can legitimately be considered one of the top 15 or 20 overall programs in the nation. That's a hell of a lot to accomplish in a very short period of time, and Oregon's done it while running a pretty damn clean program.

Helps to have Uncle Phil Knight underwriting your program and your funky uniforms... laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.
Are you serious with this? The Big 12 was one of the best conferences this year and at least Mizzou would "earn" a shot at the mNC as oppose to that Big 10 school backing their way into it.[/b]
The only reason Mizz or WVU even has a shot is because somebody else lost so you can take your back in comment and shove it up your ass. The only reason the big 12 is even considered is because everyone else lost. That is how high the big 12 north is regarded. Ohio State still won their conference.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 05:59 PM

Quote:
The only reason Mizz or WVU even has a shot is because somebody else lost so you can take your back in comment and shove it up your ass. The only reason the big 12 is even considered is because everyone else lost. That is how high the big 12 north is regarded. Ohio State still won their conference.
Ohio State is #3 because everyone else lost. And what's your point about the Big XII North? They regard it very high because out of all the 1-loss teams, they chose the Big XII north winner to be ranked #1? [Freak]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 30/11/07 06:21 PM

Mizz lost earlier than WVU. That's it. It's no love-fest for the Big 12 North. In fact Oklahoma is favored. Hopefully things correct like they did with Kansas losing.

There are no undefeated teams in contention. Hawaii is undefeated but don't belong to a BCS conference so that is their story. Everyone in the picture has lost. "Backing in" at this point is obvious but it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 06:37 AM

Quote:
Mizz lost earlier than WVU. That's it. It's no love-fest for the Big 12 North. In fact Oklahoma is favored. Hopefully things correct like they did with Kansas losing.

There are no undefeated teams in contention. Hawaii is undefeated but don't belong to a BCS conference so that is their story. Everyone in the picture has lost. "Backing in" at this point is obvious but it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there.
Agree that there's no love-fest with the Big 12 north (or south for that matter - not a good conference this year.) The big factor in play is the timing of the loss, though I think the Big 12 is generally still regarded as somewhat better than the Big East (maybe not a valid assumption this year.)

On a side note, the reason we're looking at a Big 12 team versus a Big East team (or perhaps a Big 10 team) for the big game is that these teams had very manageable conferences to deal with this year. There's no way in hell WVU, Mizzou, or tOSU would have run through the Pac 10 (where you play everybody) or SEC with one loss. Not fair, but since when has college football been fair.

I love bowl games, but at times like these I really do think a playoff would be best. Frankly if we ignore resumes and just look at who the two best teams are at this point in the year, I think we'd have a USC-Georgia/LSU national title game.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 07:24 AM

http://rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/index.php/duckfb/comments/remembering_a_special_kid/

On a more somber note, the above link is regarding an Oregon commit who was murdered 4 years ago just before he left for Eugene. It would have been senior day for him today, and he going to be honored with the rest of the seniors at Autzen. Puts all this debate in perspective, I guess.

RIP Terrance.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 08:57 PM

Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

LSU and Ohio State? Fuck. [ThumbsDown]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 09:27 PM

Quote:
Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

I seriously doubt it will be OSU and LSU. OSU is in, pretty much guaranteed.

Virginia Tech is ranked higher than LSU in the BCS - and had a more convincing win over a higher ranked opponent. Virginia Tech should get it before LSU does.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 09:27 PM

Yup, college football is now moving down on my favorite sports list. This BCS system is a joke to all fans. How can they logically pick the best 2 teams out of this mess? tOSU played noboby and has no Conference Championship Game. LSU, Virginia Tech, OU and USC all legitimately have won their conference, but have 2 losses. KU and Georgia are high on the list, but didn't play in their CCG (and KU still hasn't played anybody except their only loss).

We as fans need to not watch any of the bowl games except for the one that has your team in it. We need to make a statement in the ratings. (pipe dream)

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 10:02 PM

YES!!

BOOHOOMER SOONER!!!

Yeah, CFB this year is truly fucked up.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 10:05 PM

Quote:
has no Conference Championship Game.
PS - conference championship game = WAY easier than a round robin schedule. FYI... wink

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 01/12/07 10:27 PM

Conferences with a Championship Game chose to chase the all mighty dollar. I know for the SEC championship school not even in the game get a million dollars. You can cry me a river if your team loses it's CCG.

You need 12 teams to have a CCG. Obviously not all conferences have that the required number of teams.

Personally, I'd rather teams go to 10 team conferences and see a round robin with 2-3 OOC games against rival conferences. CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 12:47 AM

I just scared the crap out of my co-workers as I ran down the corridor yelling "Hawaii won! Hawaii won!" Not something they'd expect at 12:30am. Lol.

After UH fell behind 21-0, my stomach started aching. Ok, so they aren't a national powerhouse and Colt Brennan probably won't even be invited to New York for the Heisman presentation, but it's sure been fun watching them.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 03:25 AM

Quote:
http://rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/index.php/duckfb/comments/remembering_a_ special_kid/

On a more somber note, the above link is regarding an Oregon commit who was murdered 4 years ago just before he left for Eugene. It would have been senior day for him today, and he going to be honored with the rest of the seniors at Autzen. Puts all this debate in perspective, I guess.

RIP Terrance.
Good story, thanks for sharing. I chose to quote this post rather than your asinine pic above since I hope it better reflects your true character. I hope. :rolleyes:

Anyway, tough loss for Oregon (that somehow escaped your mention)...one thing I can't understand (aside from silver ghost flames on a yellow helmet) is why they didn't just spike the ball on 2nd down to stop the clock just before the missed FG. The kicking team could have set up at their leisure. By the time OT started I was flipping back and forth to the OU telecast but caught a clip of the Oregon coach appearing to tell the QB to spike the ball just before the missed FG. Any insight on what happened?

BTW, I'd love nothing more than to give you some heavy s**t about the end of Oregon's season but it wouldn't be fair. Had Dixon not been injured it would have clearly been a different story. Still, your turn to pOUt. You deserved that one at least. laugh

Glad you seem to have Hillaried back over to Sooner Nation for the Big 12 championship...and that OU came through for you by dominating the "#1 team" from opening whistle to final gun. [Smoking]

In the end, though, you won't hear me saying the Sooners deserve to go to the championship game. My wife and I both agree with (and respect) the point of view given by OU LB Curtis Lofton. From ESPN :

==
Lofton is one of the few Sooners who eyed his team's situation coldly. Asked to explain why Oklahoma should reach the Allstate BCS Championship Game, Lofton said, "I can't really make the case. We controlled our destiny a couple of weeks ago, and we didn't seal the deal. I'll be happy wherever they put us. If they put us there, great. If not, we'll be happy where we go."
==

Well said. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 07:53 AM

Quote:
one thing I can't understand (aside from silver ghost flames on a yellow helmet) is why they didn't just spike the ball on 2nd down to stop the clock just before the missed FG.
The kicker didn't understand that the ball was going to be spiked. Bellotti told them to spike it and that's what they started to do when the kicker panicked and got them to try for the kick. Tough loss, but they made a better showing than I expected. The 5th string fosh QB had two TDs and a true frosh safety that only started playing two weeks ago (when he was moved from defense to offense for the first time) was the leading receiver. Can't really complain about the loss when the cupboard is that bare.

Nice game by the sooners last night, and ... Pitt?

Is "clusterfuck" the correct spelling?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

I seriously doubt it will be OSU and LSU. OSU is in, pretty much guaranteed.

Virginia Tech is ranked higher than LSU in the BCS - and had a more convincing win over a higher ranked opponent. Virginia Tech should get it before LSU does.[/b]
Regardless, it's Ohio St. that I don't want to see. They haven't played a game the last couple of weeks, and that's chickenshit to me. I just don't want to see them there only to get blown out by 30, again.

Forgot to mention: How can we honestly put VT ahead of LSU? Didn't LSU beat them by 40?

I say Hawaii and Kansas. Offensive showdown of the decade!
laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 08:57 AM

Personally, I'd like to see LSU get the bid. The SEC hasn't had a stellar OOC schedule this year and frankly I think they are overrated this year.

BCS I think VT gets the nod due to being higher in the BCS the week prior and beating a higher ranked opponent.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 09:07 AM

Quote:
Conferences with a Championship Game chose to chase the all mighty dollar. I know for the SEC championship school not even in the game get a million dollars. You can cry me a river if your team loses it's CCG.

You need 12 teams to have a CCG. Obviously not all conferences have that the required number of teams.

Personally, I'd rather teams go to 10 team conferences and see a round robin with 2-3 OOC games against rival conferences. CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Obviously money's involved, but when you don't play all the teams in your conference, it's the only fair way to determine who the conference champion is. Either all the conferences need to have one or they all don't. Since the majority of them do, it'll be easier for those that don't to adapt them. The Big 10+1 needs to add Notre Dame, btw.

College football is just so screwed up right now, the BCS and NCAA are really screwing their fans every year and nobody will do anything about it. [ThumbsDown]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 09:40 AM

Quote:
Since the majority of them do, it'll be easier for those that don't to adapt them.
That's not going to happen. Not only is the Pac 10 commissioner and all the universty presidents against expansion, there simply aren't two viable candidates on the west coast to include.

I'd also echo the sentiment above that a 10 team conference is a superior configuration. Everybody plays everybody - it makes for a brutal schedule, but it eliminates the paper lions like Kansas. Besides, I don't want to give up any games against the other 9 Pac 10 teams - getting to play everybody is a big reason I love the conference so much.

Same deal in basketball - there's no other conference with as good a schedule. Games are on Thursday and Saturday (occasionally Sunday), and the travel pairs are sweet. For those that don't know, the natrual pairs in essence travel "together" for games. Ie, UO plays UW and OSU plays WSU on Thurs, and they swap on Saturday. Same deal in the bay area, LA, and Arizona. One home game and one road game against every team in the conference.

Bit of a tangent, but oh well. In any event, the Pac 10 hasn't changed since 1978 when it added the Arizona schools, and I don't think any changes are on the horizon anytime soon.

Back to football - have you watched any Hawaii games this year, Nismo? They're sort of up your alley in terms of the offense they run. Though Crabtree is the standout receiver on either team, I think overall Hawaii has the superior receiving corps. Their top 4 receivers are freaking incredible. I don't think Brennan is quite the QB that Harrell has been this year, though he has been battling some injuries. I'll be very interesting in seeing how Hawaii performs in the Sugar Bowl.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 10:22 AM

Quote:
The Big 10+1 needs to add Notre Dame, btw.
Notre Dame will never join a conference. Especially if they can negotiate their own TV deal over and over.

(IF they did, I'm guessing they'd go Big East with the basketball team.)

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 11:11 AM

Quote:
CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Actually, it's worst for those teams because they'll actually most likely play a tough team. Not have a CCG allows teams like OSU to be in the National picture even with their extremely weak SOS.
Quote:
Besides, I don't want to give up any games against the other 9 Pac 10 teams - getting to play everybody is a big reason I love the conference so much.
Yeah, it's great until Oregon, UCLA and USC all finish with 1 lost where Oregon lost to UCLA who lost to USC who lost to Oregon. [Freak] And, of course, USC will get the nod and Oregon and UCLA fans will be pissed.
Quote:
Back to football - have you watched any Hawaii games this year, Nismo? They're sort of up your alley in terms of the offense they run. Though Crabtree is the standout receiver on either team, I think overall Hawaii has the superior receiving corps. Their top 4 receivers are freaking incredible. I don't think Brennan is quite the QB that Harrell has been this year, though he has been battling some injuries. I'll be very interesting in seeing how Hawaii performs in the Sugar Bowl.
Hawaii is fun to watch. You are never out it of it with our systems and I knew they could come back last night. However, they are no where even close to the same talent level at receiver or anywhere on both sides of the ball. Crabtree gets the most national attention (and rightfully so), but Amendola is also a stud... pretty close to a Wes Welker. We also have some additional young talent as well, just not quite the speciman that Crabtree is. They light up the stats when they play crappy teams as well. The closest position would be quarterback, but Harrell will show Brennan how you're supposed to play like a senior next year. [Smoking]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 11:55 AM

No BCS yet, but the AP and USA TODAY polls are out and share the same top 5:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Virginia Tech

Missouri fell to #7 in one and #8 in the other.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Actually, it's worst for those teams because they'll actually most likely play a tough team. Not have a CCG allows teams like OSU to be in the National picture even with their extremely weak SOS.
[/b]

That makes no sense at all. In the Pac 10 you play every single team, meaning you'll play all of the best teams in the conference. While a Big 12 team is guaranteed a decent opponent in the championship game, that team could miss the tough teams in conference during the regular season. Like Kansas this year - no Texas and no OU. Having to play both of those teams in the regular season is tougher than just having to play one of them in the championship game.

Quote:
Hawaii is fun to watch. You are never out it of it with our systems and I knew they could come back last night. However, they are no where even close to the same talent level at receiver or anywhere on both sides of the ball. Crabtree gets the most national attention (and rightfully so), but Amendola is also a stud... pretty close to a Wes Welker. We also have some additional young talent as well, just not quite the speciman that Crabtree is. They light up the stats when they play crappy teams as well. The closest position would be quarterback, but Harrell will show Brennan how you're supposed to play like a senior next year. [Smoking]
Like I said Crabtree is a standout, but beyond him I'd give Hawaii's receivers the edge over Tech's. Just my opinion.

It's true that Hawaii didn't play a good schedule, but at 74th out of 117, Tech didn't exactly light it up either (I'll save you the trouble of looking it up - tOSU's schedule was 60th, and Oregon's schedule was 7th.)

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 12:09 PM

Quote:
No BCS yet, but the AP and USA TODAY polls are out and share the same top 5:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Virginia Tech

Missouri fell to #7 in one and #8 in the other.
My money's on tOSU and LSU, though I personally feel like at this point in the year USC, Georgia, and (grumble) Oklahoma probably have the three best teams.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 02:38 PM

I really like what Pete has done for USC but they haven't had a great season. They only beat 2 opponents with winning records. The Stanford loss hurt big time.

It's a toss up which was worse now, USC-Stanford or WVU and Pitt.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 03:13 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense at all. In the Pac 10 you play every single team, meaning you'll play all of the best teams in the conference. While a Big 12 team is guaranteed a decent opponent in the championship game, that team could miss the tough teams in conference during the regular season. Like Kansas this year - no Texas and no OU. Having to play both of those teams in the regular season is tougher than just having to play one of them in the championship game.

Yes, that is correct, but still doesn't solve the example that I gave. I'm just saying it's probably better to have a CCG because it gives you your true conference champion (kind of like what a playoff would do). Also, it hurts teams like KU and Mizzou more because they'll have to face a tough in the last game of the season which could knock them out of the picture if they are living a lie... just like we saw.
Quote:
]Like I said Crabtree is a standout, but beyond him I'd give Hawaii's receivers the edge over Tech's. Just my opinion.
Crabtree is indeed a standout and beyond him, the rest is at least like Hawaii. Doing simple math gives the edge to Tech, imo.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 08:38 PM

Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

Any championship that relies on voting or judging to crown the winner is not a sport.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 02/12/07 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

Any championship that relies on voting or judging to crown the winner is not a sport.
combine this with every conference having a CCG or no conference have a CCG, and we'll be in business!

may the BCS die quickly and slowly rot in hell.
[Too much XOC]

However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 04:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
[b]Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

combine this with every conference having a CCG or no conference have a CCG, and we'll be in business!

may the BCS die quickly and slowly rot in hell.
[Too much XOC]

However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.[/b]
Use the computers like basketball does for the 65 teams.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 06:38 AM

Quote:
However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.
Yeah, but the quality of bitching will be significantly less than what we have now... by like 99%. You hardly hear about those that bitch about not being in the NCAA tournament in basketball. They are there every year, but they always sound foolish.

I think an 8 team would be more appropriate. A 16 team might taint the regular season too much. Hell, I'd be happy with 4... anything more than this BSc.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 07:35 AM

Rose Bowl:
Southern California vs. Illinois
Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m. ABC

Sugar Bowl:
Hawaii vs. Georgia
Jan. 1, 8:30 p.m. FOX

Fiesta Bowl:
Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
Jan. 2, 8 p.m. FOX

Orange Bowl:
Miami Virginia Tech vs. Kansas
Jan. 3, 8 p.m. FOX

BCS National Championship:
Ohio State vs. LSU
Jan. 7, 8 p.m. FOX

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 11:55 AM

Hawaii didn't get nearly as lucky as Utah and Boise State did in terms of their BCS opponent. I don't know if they've got the firepower to keep up with Georgia. But I guess since their game is more finesse than power, maybe they can get Georgia overpursuing and win in a shootout.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 12:19 PM

Hawaii will win.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 02:45 PM

Quote:
Hawaii didn't get nearly as lucky as Utah and Boise State did in terms of their BCS opponent. I don't know if they've got the firepower to keep up with Georgia. But I guess since their game is more finesse than power, maybe they can get Georgia overpursuing and win in a shootout.
I want to see Hawaii just pound the shit out of Georgia (don't know that will happen but it'd be fun as all hell). The BCS system needs to go away now.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 05:41 PM

Hey pnwbeers and other Pac-10ers... how would you like facing Mike Leach every year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

Quote:
Boise State's Chris Petersen, Texas Tech's Mike Leach and former NFL coach Steve Mariucci reportedly have been contacted by UCLA about the job

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 03/12/07 06:43 PM

Quote:
Hey pnwbeers and other Pac-10ers... how would you like facing Mike Leach every year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

Quote:
Boise State's Chris Petersen, [b]Texas Tech's Mike Leach and former NFL coach Steve Mariucci reportedly have been contacted by UCLA about the job
[/b]
What's his highest finishing ranking? I looked into him a bit, and he's a pretty mediocre recruiter (top 25 classes are the exception, not the norm) and he's never won 10 games in a conference that such a performance is easier than in the Pac 10 (imo). But he's been pretty consistant at a place that's gotta be tough to recruit to and he wins regularly. Big game wise he's done okay. Not a ton of wins, but he has beaten teams with considerably more talent (OU twice and Cal a few years back pop to mind). I do think he'd be a step up from Dorrell, but UCLA is a tougher place to coach than it looks like from the outside. Brentwood is expensive as hell to live and the assistants are paid very poorly, and good assistants are critical in CFB. UCLA has overall the best athletic program of any university in the country, and they've won more NCAA national championships than any other university...but, football isn't the priority there. Nonetheless, he could get ahtletes at UCLA that the couldn't get at Tech, and that could make for one dangerous passing-spread type of team.

Peterson told the media today that he has no interest in UCLA. Take that for what it's worth, but he can definitely take a bigger leap in the next year or two if he holds out.

I guess my opinion is that they should've kept Dorrell. Not that I get any benefit from UCLA struggling, mind you. laugh

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/12/07 04:31 PM

From what I've read, Leach would be perfect for L.A. ..

He's just the loopy kind of character that just might thrive in the city of angels...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 04/12/07 08:01 PM

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/339992.html

Quote:

Stoops picks OU as his No. 1 team, votes LSU No. 6
By JIMMY BURCH
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Although his team fell short of landing a spot in the BCS Championship Game, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops did his best to propel the Sooners into the mix.

Stoops joined South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, Stoops' mentor and former boss, as the only voters in the USA Today/coaches poll who placed the Sooners at No. 1 on their final regular-season ballots. Coaches' ballots were made public Monday, one day after release of the final BCS standings. OU (11-2) finished fourth in the BCS, which uses the coaches' poll as one of its three factors.

After a 38-17 victory over then-No. 1 Missouri in Saturday's Big 12 Championship Game, Stoops issued an open plea for votes, saying his team was "playing the best, right now" among the nation's college football teams. Stoops backed his words with action, placing OU atop his ballot -- one spot ahead of Ohio State, which finished first in the BCS standings and the coaches poll.

LSU (11-2), the No. 2 team in the BCS and Ohio State's opponent in the Jan. 7 national championship game, was sixth on Stoops' ballot. Virginia Tech, which also finished ahead of OU in the BCS standings, was fifth on Stoops' ballot.

Stoops was unavailable for comment on Monday's Big 12 coaches teleconference. But he was far from the only coach whose ballot raised eyebrows when it became public Monday. Other notable items:

Hawaii (12-0), which needed to finish 12th or higher in the final standings to earn a BCS bowl berth, received one first-place vote in the coaches' poll. It came from New Mexico State coach Hal Mumme, whose school is a member of the WAC, where Hawaii is the conference champ.

Dennis Franchione, the former Texas A&M coach, rated No. 3 Oklahoma, No. 17 Texas and No. 10 Hawaii below their finishing places in the final coaches poll. On Franchione's ballot, Oklahoma was sixth; Texas was 20th and Hawaii was 22nd. Franchione ranked Hawaii, the nation's only unbeaten team, the lowest of any voter among the 60 participants in the coaches poll.

Unranked Houston (8-4), TCU's opponent in the Dec. 28 Texas Bowl, received three points in the coaches' poll. All came courtesy of former Cougars coach Art Briles, the new Baylor coach, who had Houston at No. 23 on his ballot.

Howard Schnellenberger, coach at Florida Atlantic, voted Kansas (No. 2), Hawaii (No. 3), Missouri (No. 4), LSU (No. 5) and Virginia Tech (No. 6) ahead of seventh-ranked Oklahoma on his ballot. Schnellenberger was fired as the OU coach after the 1995 season.

LSU coach Les Miles, whose team jumped from seventh to second in the final BCS standings with its 21-14 victory over Tennessee in the Southeastern Conference title game, placed his own team at the top of his ballot. The rest of Miles' top five: Ohio State (No. 2), Georgia (No. 3), Virginia Tech (No. 4) and Oklahoma (No. 5).

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who placed the unranked Red Raiders at No. 22 on his ballot, said the upset-filled 2007 season made voting "kind of hard" and pointed out the need for a playoff system.

Texas coach Mack Brown, another playoff proponent, concurred.

"I thought there were four or five teams capable of playing for the national championship," said Brown, who placed the Longhorns at No. 17 on his ballot and identified the nation's top five teams -- in order -- as Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Kansas and Southern California.

"This was at least as difficult as deciding last year between Florida and Michigan [as the second BCS championship-game participant]. This year, more than any other, shows we need a playoff. But there's nothing I've heard about that would make me think anyone is working in that direction."

How they voted

A look at some of the final votes in the USA Today coaches poll:

Art Briles, ex-Houston (now Baylor coach): 1. LSU; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Missouri; 4. Ohio State; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Georgia; 7. Kansas; 8. Southern Cal; 9. West Virginia; 10. Hawaii; 11. Florida; 12. Arizona State; 13. Illinois; 14. Clemson; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Cincinnati; 17. Texas; 18. Tennessee; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Central Florida; 21. Boston College; 22. Virginia; 23. Houston; 24. Auburn; 25. Boise State.

Mack Brown, Texas: 1. Ohio State; 2. LSU; 3. Oklahoma; 4. Kansas; 5. Southern Cal; 6. Virginia Tech; 7. Georgia; 8. Missouri; 9. Arizona State; 10. West Virginia; 11. Florida; 12. Boston College; 13. Hawaii; 14. Illinois; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Clemson; 17. Texas; 18. Brigham Young; 19. Auburn; 20. Virginia; 21. Oregon State; 22. Arkansas; 23. Cincinnati; 24. Boise State; 25. Oregon.

Bill Callahan, ex-Nebraska: 1. Ohio State; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Southern Cal; 4. LSU; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Hawaii; 7. Georgia; 8. Missouri; 9. Kansas; 10. Arizona State; 11. West Virginia; 12. Brigham Young; 13. Boston College; 15. Florida; 16. Illinois; 17. Boise; 18. Virginia; 19. Cincinnati; 20. Clemson; 21. Wisconsin; 22. Auburn; 23. Tennessee; 24. South Florida; 25. Central Florida.

Dennis Franchione, ex-Texas A&M: 1. Ohio State; 2. Southern Cal; 3. LSU; 4. Georgia; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Oklahoma; 7. Missouri; 8. Kansas; 9. West Virginia; 10. Boston College; 11. Florida; 12. Illinois; 13. Arizona; 14. Virginia; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Clemson; 17. Brigham Young; 18. Tennessee; 19. South Florida; 20. Texas; 21. Cincinnati; 22. Hawaii; 23. Connecticut; 24. Boise State; 25. Oregon.

Dan Hawkins, Colorado: 1. LSU; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Ohio State; 4. Virginia Tech; 5. Missouri; 6. Georgia; 7. Kansas; 8. Florida; 9. Southern Cal; 10. Arizona State; 11. West Virginia; 12. Boston College; 13. Tennessee; 14. Hawaii; 15. Illinois; 16. Clemson; 17. Texas; 18. Wisconsin; 19. Virginia; 20. Auburn; 21. Texas Tech; 22. Cincinnati; 23. Brigham Young; 24. Boise State; 25. Air Force.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech: 1. Ohio State; 2. Georgia; 3. Kansas; 4. Oklahoma; 5. LSU; 6. Missouri; 7. Virginia Tech; 8. Southern Cal; 9. West Virginia; 10. Florida; 11. Arizona State; 12. Illinois; 13. Wisconsin; 14. Clemson; 15. Boston College; 16. Tennessee; 17. Hawaii; 18. Texas; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Virginia; 21. Auburn; 22. Texas Tech; 23. Arkansas; 24. Cincinnati; 25. South Florida.

Gary Patterson, TCU: 1. Ohio State; 2. LSU; 3. Georgia; 4. Oklahoma; 5. Kansas; 6. Virginia Tech; 7. Southern Cal; 8. Missouri; 9. Florida; 10. West Virginia; 11. Hawaii; 12. Arizona State; 13. Boston College; 14. Illinois; 15. Clemson; 16. Texas; 17. Tennessee; 18. Penn State; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Auburn; 21. Virginia; 22. Boise State; 23. Cincinnati; 24. South Florida; 25. Oregon State.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: 1. Oklahoma; 2. Ohio State; 3. Missouri; 4. Kansas; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. LSU; 7. Southern Cal; 8. Georgia; 9. Arizona State; 10. Hawaii; 11. West Virginia; 12. Boston College; 13. Texas; 14. Florida; 15. Tennessee; 16. Illinois; 17. Clemson; 18. Wisconsin; 19. Virginia; 20. Texas Tech; 21. South Florida; 22. Auburn; 23. Arkansas; 24. Cincinnati; 25. Brigham Young.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 05/12/07 04:06 AM

These last couple of posts illustrate exactly why any kind of poll is a joke.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 05/12/07 06:35 AM

The best was where Tommy Bowden voted OU 10th and Mizzou 6th! [LOL] The system sucks. [ThumbsDown]

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 11/12/07 06:31 PM

OHIO STATE 19
LSU 17

I still can't believe that the Orange Bowl took Kansas over Mizz. Oklahoma is going to kill WVU. I think that they are playing some of the best ball. I understand the anger of some of the top teams being left out of the BCS championship game. As a Buckeye fan, I am happy that we have been given a shot to erase the beat down that Florida put to us last year. Go Bucks.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/12/07 11:47 AM

Interesting move:

Rodriguez Is Michigan\'s New Coach

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 16/12/07 11:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting move:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/fo...z.ap/index.html

What is it with Michigan hiring all of the WVA coaches away? First John Beilein and now Rich Rodriguez...

Interesting move for RR... not only did UM not quite hire a Michigan man... they hired a Mountain man... they succeeded in luring away Rich Rodriguez, a man coaching at his alma mater after losing out on one of their own (Les Miles).

I guess they don't have to change much in their wardrobe... WVA and UM colors are pretty darn close...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blog...-rodriguez.html

How immediate was the ripple effect of Rodriguez's hire? The coach barely had time to inform the Mountaineers of his decision early Sunday afternoon before the nation's most coveted recruit, Jeanette (Pa.) native Terrelle Pryor -- a spread-option QB who'd reportedly narrowed his choices to Ohio State (the suspected favorite), West Virginia, Florida and Oregon -- told Scout.com, "Add Michigan to my list."

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 17/12/07 06:37 AM

Quote:
Interesting move:

X2 (couldn't have said that better myself)

I remember last year that he said no to Alabama and then told his fans that he wanted to spend his coaching career in WV. I guess what he meant to say was... Bama's not my cup of tea and I'll stay with you till something better comes along.

Can't blame him, but the only thing that doesn't sit right with me is that he's not coaching during the bowl.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 07/01/08 01:02 PM

SMU hires June Jones...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/01/07/ap.fbc.apnewsalert.ap/inde x.html

and the natural order is restored as Hawaii football will regress into mediocrity...

Wow. $2 million a year? I guess those SMU boosters are tired of being crappy after all these years post-death penalty...

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 08/01/08 05:53 PM

Good to see no one talking about the meaningless postseason that college football has to offer. So is it too early to talk about next year? laugh Not for me. We're finally looking to be pre-ranked in the Top 20:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=759223

and 12th via espn [ThumbsUp]

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3186264

In other news, the PAC-10 threatens to pull out of BCS if the BCS goes to a +1 four team mini-playoff. :rolleyes: The ACC president and SEC president along with the Big East and Big12 president/commisioners are strongly lobbying for this format. The PAC-10 commisioner said if this happens the PAC-10 and BIG-10 will yank the Rose Bowl and pull their leagues out of the BCS. I knew I hated those conferences for a reason. See ya later as far as I'm concerned and take your meaningless bowl game with you. But atleast you'll have your parade. :rolleyes:

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/01/08 04:58 AM

Quote:
SMU hires June Jones...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/01/07/ap.fbc.apnewsalert.ap/inde x.html

and the natural order is restored as Hawaii football will regress into mediocrity...

Wow. $2 million a year? I guess those SMU boosters are tired of being crappy after all these years post-death penalty...
The hot rumor out here is that Dick Tomey might leave San Jose State to go back to UH. From a strictly PR point of view, that would probably help ease the pain at UH. He revived their program the "first" time.

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/01/08 05:30 AM

Don't they need an AD before they scout for a coach?

Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread - 10/01/08 06:05 PM

Looks like that's what they're hoping for is for him to take over as AD instead of as coach.