brake job

Posted by: Anonymous

brake job - 29/01/08 08:26 AM

I have 67000 on my original brakes. I'm not having any issues, besides a little squeaking from the rear. I just got a nasty quote from a local shop in excess of $450 just for the front. He wanted to turn the rotors and hadn't even looked at them. All I want to do is have the pads and shoes replaced. Is there someplace local that could be recommended. I don't have the tools or the place to do them myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: brake job - 29/01/08 09:22 AM

It can be done in someone's driveway..if you buy the parts yourself your looking @ maybe 140.00 for the pads and rotors and maybe 80 to throw a friend to do it..I dont know any shops out that way but I've got a lot of good guys in NJ if you'd like.

Re: brake job - 29/01/08 12:01 PM

I actually just got back from Meineke, I only paid 190 out the door for a complete brake check (no problems) and had the fronts replaced and the rear cleaned and adjusted. It wasn't complete extortion, considering I don't really have the tools or friends here yet to do it. Thanks for the reply, maybe when I'm ready for my body lift, I'll post here for the help.
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: brake job - 29/01/08 04:50 PM

I just bought new OE pads yesterday for $ 70. I plan on doing it this weekend. It will take an hour tops. I have yet to turn the rotors and I have 108k miles. Rotors only need to be turned if they have grooves in them. Otherwise I just scuff them with some light sandpaper. It is a PITA to deal with the 4x4 hubs have to be removed/repacked.

There is a place in Southampton that works on Nissans that I take my truck to. Not sure if you are willing to drive there. It is down Rt. 38.

S.

Re: brake job - 01/02/08 12:10 PM

I actually had to replace my rotors at about 80k or so. CK and I did it, man that was a long time ago now that I think about it. It was in my folks drive way before I bought my house and got married....

I have a bearing packer if you decided to turn your rotors. Shops sometimes have a tool that can turn them while they are still on your car. It is fast and easy and they can charge you a butt load for it.