TJ

Posted by: k_enn

TJ - 31/01/08 10:11 AM

I am lazy and don't want to do a search that will have a shit load of hits. It looks like I need a new centerlink. What manufacture do you recommend.

k_enn
Posted by: TJ

Re: TJ - 31/01/08 11:15 PM

I'd give the Whoo Haa guy a try.

You have some drilling...but the bone looks strong....and its cheaper than most (all?) of the others.

laugh
Posted by: CK

Re: TJ - 01/02/08 03:40 AM

Whoo Haa guy ??? WHO IS THAT
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: TJ - 01/02/08 05:43 AM

I think he means Hoo Haa or whatever it's called.. smile

Re: TJ - 01/02/08 08:33 AM

Unless I am wrong, the Hoo Haa guy needs you to send in your existing centerlink for him to rebuild. Won't work for my daily driver if that is so. Any second recommendation?

k_enn
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: TJ - 01/02/08 11:26 AM

HooHaa center link is $225 plus $100 core fee.
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=60;t=000386

Re: TJ - 02/02/08 08:17 AM

Thanks for the info and link, Tom.

I am looking at my steering situation in more detail. I know that I need to replace the steering gear box. That will mean pulling the pitman arm. I am thinking about replacing the pitman arm with the L&P pitman, and doing the same with the idler arm at the same time. So, I am considering the L&P upgrade - centerlink, pitman arm, and idler arm. Getting that set also eliminates the need to drill our the pitman and idler arms.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Should I also get heavier tie rod adjusters while I am at it?
Posted by: TJ

Re: TJ - 03/02/08 08:14 AM

Well, if you don't mind the extra $, and you still have core sharges until you get your core back to them, (Same as the other...), L&P's system is also very good....and more complete.

Go with the Stage III and what ever upgrades you can, so you can call it once and done then....and be done with it.

laugh

Are you sure about your steering pump? I ask, because a LOT of them just needed a little adjustment screw attention to work well again, etc.

A lot also leaked a bit here and there...but just adding new fluid was sufficient to let them ride, etc.

Mine was leaking a smidgen here and there, I flushed it and replaced the fluid with synthetic, and it was fine after that.

Food for thought.
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: TJ - 03/02/08 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:

Should I also get heavier tie rod adjusters while I am at it?
FYI: If you decide to upgrade the tie rod adjusters I have a few pair of EOE HD adjusters still left.

Re: TJ - 04/02/08 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Are you sure about your steering pump? I ask, because a LOT of them just needed a little adjustment screw attention to work well again, etc.

A lot also leaked a bit here and there...but just adding new fluid was sufficient to let them ride, etc.

Mine was leaking a smidgen here and there, I flushed it and replaced the fluid with synthetic, and it was fine after that.
No, the problem is in the steering gear box, not the power steering pump. I can see the fluid leaking out of the seal just above the pitman arm. I have already put in about as much "stop leak" fluid as I dare, it farily thick already. Looks like it is time to replace the steering gear box.

Quick question -- I know to use a puller to get the pitman arm off, but is there anything special needed to press a pitman arm onto the steering shaft when installing it?

k_enn