Moab: Elephant Hill

Posted by: tcdesign

Moab: Elephant Hill - 10/10/01 01:48 PM

We're going to Moab this weekend, and my wife wants to go on the trail that overlooks the juntion of the Colorado and Green rivers. I thought I remebered reading that on Elephant Hill there is a short hike to this overlook. Am I remembering that right? If not, does anyone know how to get to that overlook?

Incidentally, how hard is the elephant hill trail? I know its rated a 7. Are there bypasses at all? Thanks

- Tim
Posted by: XOC

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 10/10/01 03:28 PM

Yes, after you run the one way sections over E-Hill, you'll get to Devil's Lane. Just after Devil's Lane, and Silver Stairs, you'll see a well marked road to the Confluence. It's about a 20 minute drive out on an easy road, followed by a .5 mile hike.

It's worth the trip.

There are no bypasses on Elephant Hill, but with some caution, you'll get through just fine (be careful on the big downhill side before the backup section, it's about 35 degrees tippy if you stay too far left).

Allow about 6 hours to do the whole loop (plus 1.5 hours to and from Moab), and follow the one-way signs.

Your best bet is to camp over night at Devil's Kitchen, but it's usually booked 6 months in advance.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: xoc ]
Posted by: jawilly20

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 24/10/01 10:49 PM

I am going to be in Moab Nov 2 thru 6. I am going to Mountian bike, but we all know that I won't be very tempted. Has anyone had good experience on what trails can be tackled by a stock X and a experienced driver?
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 25/10/01 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jawilly20:
I am going to be in Moab Nov 2 thru 6. I am going to Mountian bike, but we all know that I won't be very tempted. Has anyone had good experience on what trails can be tackled by a stock X and a experienced driver?

Get this book:
Moab Backroads

Stock Xterra can probably do upto the difficult trail but if you're not feeling adventurous just do the intermediate.

Also go to this website:
Moab Easter Safari Trails

Stock can do upto 3 1/2 at least.

Be sure to drive through Arches too.
smile
Posted by: Hawkeye

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 25/10/01 02:20 PM

I just got back last weekend from Moab, for a stock X fins and things is a blast, you'll be amazed at what you can do, only rubbed twice and that was just my hitch and the arb on those descents. I did develope a new clunking sound from my right front under compression though, took it apart and found no obvious problems but it still worries me a little.
Posted by: jawilly20

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 25/10/01 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info!! I plan on purchasing that book when I get there. Too late to get it shipped now I think.
So Hawkeye! You did fin and things with a stock X huh. Did you have another vehicle with you or just you? Anymore trip info would be great. Thanks again!!
Posted by: Hawkeye

Re: Moab: Elephant Hill - 26/10/01 07:32 AM

Fins was awesome, I was the only truck and only person in my truck which made navigation kind of hard at spots, you really need to pay attention to the milage references in the guide. Some of the fins are very intimidating at first but your confidense builds fairly quickly. Check out Ian's website at www.xterrain.com he's got a gallery that includes fins & things, when his x was still pretty much stock (at least looks that way) gives you a good idea of what to expect. Great trail!