Tincup to Ouray and back...

Posted by: arkiteqt

Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 11:46 AM

I am planning a trip this summer, probably the end of June, and I am taking my fiance with me, it'll be her first time offroad for an extended period of time and will also be her first time camping. So I've got a lot of planning to do to make sure that she'll do it again. I need some of you Colorado trail buffs to see if I'm craming in too much, I've never been on the trails mentioned for day two. I'll probably play it by ear for the most part. Here's the "itinerary": (not set in stone)

DAY ONE:
Tincup Pass (from St. Elmo)
Cumberland Pass
Middle Quartz Creek
Waunita Pass
Los Pinos Pass (Camp off of this trail)

DAY TWO:
Engineer Pass (from Lake City)
North Fork Cutoff
California/Corkscrew Gulch
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Yankee Boy Basin (camp here)

DAY THREE:
Head up to Marble and do Schofield Pass
Return to Colrado Springs

Like I said I havn't been on the trails planned on day two. Any suggestions? Your expertise is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 01:40 PM

Start early, that's 12+ hours of driving on day 2.

Fun trails, great scenery, you'll love it !
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 02:49 PM

Ian/XOC will all those roads be clear by then? Seems I have seen photos of some of those passes still covered in snow?
Posted by: XOC

Re: Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 02:54 PM

Yes, we only got 19% of our average snow fall, they are probably close to open now. Most of them are plowed anyway before Memorial Day.
Posted by: arkiteqt

Re: Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 02:58 PM

I tried tincup last year at the start of July and had to turn back about 1/4 of a mile from the summit because of snow. I'm planning on checking with the forest service before picking an exact date. But if you guys hear something let me know. Thanks, I'm looking forward to having some fun! smile
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Tincup to Ouray and back... - 16/05/02 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Yes, we only got 19% of our average snow fall, they are probably close to open now. Most of them are plowed anyway before Memorial Day.
Sorry to here you only got 19% of your snowfall! The same for my folks in MT only got 25% of the normal snowfll. We, PNW, got 150% of ours! Should start to see some good flooding in a few weeks! frown