ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2

Posted by: Shrock

ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 02:47 PM

I started a new thread since the old was was getting so big.

Here are first pics from various angles and the first tube design. This is the one I'm leaning toward, but I want to here what people think. It's different, so give it a chance to grow on you. Like many things that are new and different, it really does look better in person than in pics.

I'm going to do something similar to the tube on our Sammi bumper next.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 02:47 PM

next pic

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 02:49 PM

another...

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 02:50 PM

In the last two pics you can really see why I went with the winch with w/ a non-integrated soleniod to tuck it up under the grill. The limitimg factor on approch angle is now the frame.

Posted by: Saline

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 04:02 PM

Great work! Got my interest.I'm not really up for the bars. Perhaps its the bends or the diameter of the tubing. Looks stout!I wonder how it would look on the square headlight X (the better kind) laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 04:15 PM

i'm very much diggin' the Bumper design although the light guards are a little "off" for me. I'd have prefered a less wide middle section with the raised center bar. I'll keep starin' at it though, maybe it WILL grow on me. cool
Posted by: XOC

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 04:39 PM

Do you mean non-integrated solenoid winch ? I don't think there's room for a winch with an integrated solenoid in there.

The tubing gives the Xterra a somewhat sad look due to the low center bar and angle of the uprights.You either match the angle of the grill cutout, or match the angle of the headlight edge.

The two different radii give it an odd look too, the outside bend doesn't match anything on the truck.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 04:45 PM

Since I already have an ARB I probably shouldn't comment, but I just can't hold it in...

Let me first start by saying I love your work and dedication to Xterra owners. But damn that upper bar is scary looking! eek It takes all that is bad about the front end of the '02's and '03's and amplifies it X3. To be honest though, I'm not sure how you can hoop around those lights and have a bar that looks good...the front end just isn't friendly to work with. TO me it makes the front end look like a CR-V or something.

OK, I kinda have an idea but don't have time to draw it right now. Might have time tomorrow, but basically make the light hoops a bit smaller and then curve the center part so it goes upward.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way...just figured you should know how I feel, uh, for some reason. [Wave]

BTW, from the side it looks great. smile
Posted by: GrnXnham

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 05:05 PM

Bumper = nice

Upper bar = ugly

It looks like the Xterra is wearing a pair of glasses or something. It's kind of dorky looking. Just my $.02

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 06:05 PM

Quote:
Do you mean non-integrated solenoid winch ? I don't think there's room for a winch with an integrated solenoid in there.
Yes of course. That's the point.

Looks like my original instict that this was a little radical may prove to be the case. We'll see.

More pics tomorrow hopefully.
Posted by: krisjon

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 06:44 PM

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else.

The lower bumper section: you're done. Looks awesome.

The tube section: needs a little work / experimentation. Don't try too hard to fit the '02/'03 headlights.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 15/08/03 09:12 PM

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't own a winch and I'm certainly not a winch expert, but I am looking to purchase one:

It seems that the growing popularity of integrated solenoid winches would be a limiting factor to this bumper. Where would you mount the solenoid and have it accessible?

That said, the tight, compact body of the bumper looks great and blends nicely with the truck.

I will add another vote against the upper bar design. My wife walked by as I was viewing the photos and said, "how cute - someone put glasses on their Xterra." How feasible would it be to set the attachment points for outsides of the bars on the side of the bumper, so that the bars wrap further around to the back - basically "protecting" the front of the fenders as well?

Hope this feedback helps. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want more.
Posted by: austinbrtndr

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 06:18 AM

I have to agree with everyone else on the upper bars... doesn't look so hot... one other question, though... does the lower part of the front of the truck curve up from the middle? It doesn't look like the bumper is anywhere near flush on the sides... I'm sitting here looking at my 01 and it looks flat, but on the new ones it looks curved... is that right? But I do love the bumper!!! Just not the bars... keep up the good work, though!
Posted by: Trevor

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 06:39 AM

From the front it looks like it only needs to be tilted down to level out. I think that some of the bumpers are not aligned right. Mine is higher in the middle like that (but not as bad) and I thought that when I finally got a front bumper I would try to take a look at the mounting points to see if they are bent. I took it back to the dealership after I realized it and they could not do much to it and it did not bother me that much. I have seen others of the same year as mine ('01) that are level and some that are not (like mine). Since most of the winch bumpers have such a flat surface design it may highlight the imperfections that are not otherwise as noticable.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 07:46 AM

Yeah the bumper is flat and front of the x is curved. From what other have said, the earlier style is curved too, just not as much.

It does need to be loosened and tilted down a little. I've had that thing on and off so many times, my patience for adjusting it perfectly b4 tightening everything up is well...not there. laugh
Posted by: pinoy

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 09:38 AM

Bumper looks great, it would be nice if you offered the tubes with the same lines as that of the oem brushguard.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 12:34 PM

OK the next contender. I like this one way better. Looks MEAN to me.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 12:34 PM

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 12:35 PM

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 12:36 PM

Driver's view:

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 12:38 PM

Without headlight hoops. This looks kinda cool too, but I think the tube needs to be a little bigger to do it this way. This would be a simple option to have available for anyone who likes it this way.

Posted by: gmaxis

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 01:42 PM

Second page pics look really good! I wonder how it looks on a '00-'01 X?
Posted by: panhandleX

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 02:13 PM

Def. like the second set of head light loops better. And agree w/ you. A larger center section would look better if you opted to go w/out the head light loops. All in all looks great though.
Posted by: NetJunkie

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 02:50 PM

The newest pics look GOOD. I really like it without the headlight bars. We've been talking about a new bumper...that one be the one we chose if/when you start selling it.
Posted by: BoneCrusher

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 03:47 PM

I WANT ONE NOW

My only problem with the look is this. The tubing look kinda thin....it might just be the pictures but i think it looks a bit thin. Oh well Ill be ordering one soon when i get everything else sorted out.
Posted by: GrnXnham

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 08:41 PM

This version is MUCH better than the 1st version and I like it without the headlight loops also. The only thing I would change there is to go with a thicker upper bar if I went without the headlight loops.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 08:56 PM

That looks much better. If I could nitpick though, something still looks odd about the hoops around the lights and I can't put my finger on it. I wonder what would happen if you were to make the center hoop wider (maybe 2" wider at the bottom) and use a slightly thicker tube for the center section so the light hoops are smaller? Maybe make the center hoop vertical sections a bit more straight up too? Not totally straigt, just enough so the upper horizontal section is a bit wider and covers more of the bulge. Make sense?

BTW, I still think you should put cutouts in the bumper for fog lights, or at least offer it as an option. That was one of the things I really wanted when I got my ARB. Well, as of this past week I have them...hehehe! I've been cutting and grinding away to turn my ARB into what I really wanted. eek
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 16/08/03 09:24 PM

I REALLY like this second setup. Also, I would think that it would add some rigidity to the bumpers wings. cool

I know that some of your competitors bumper wings have gotten tweaked out of shape and just looking at your version it seems that the headlight loops go far enough out on the wings to help stiffen them up considerably from being pushed upward.

Nice work Jim, keep up the effort and please realize you will NEVER please everyone. [Wave]
Posted by: Uzbad

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/08/03 02:16 PM

Yep, second one is definetly looks more ordinary, while first one looked "one-of-a-kind" thing wink

Personally - i still would like mix of them both - when there is no sticking out of tube nor in central section, nor on headlamps smile
Posted by: xterra2k

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/08/03 02:36 PM

Great work Jim.

Thanks again for listening to our input.

I echo what ChuckH mentioned. That would be a bumper that I would look for.

All of the R&D will pay off with many happier customers.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/08/03 03:06 PM

I think you got it right this time. I agree that thicker tubing would "toughen" it up, both visually and structurally.

Good work, Jim!

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/08/03 03:18 PM

Thanks guys, I think this one will be a keeper.

On the current pics, the center section is 1.75" and the headlight guards are 1.5". The 1.5" can be bent at a tighter radius, so it looks better around the headlights than the 1.75" on the first design.

I think I'll buy some 2" dies for the bender and see how 2" looks for the center section. The dang dies are $250 though. eek

It will probably be a week before I have the new dies and 2" tubing to play with.

Jim

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/08/03 03:29 PM

2" center tubing more vertically positioned? perhaps with a radius at the top towards the hood bulge. Now you're talkin'. smile

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 10:34 AM

Winch update. I'm now fairly certain the integrated winches will work with the bumper.

Also, an in-cab winch controller kit will be offered for a very reasonable price (~$30-35.00) which will let you control the winch from the driver's seat.

Jim
Posted by: Richard Krenn

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 02:24 PM

ChuckH, can you post a picture of your fog light mods to the ARB, I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Richard
Posted by: Booya

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 03:57 PM

Jim... here's my .02 cents.

How about slightly more thick tubing, and have the middle upright bars more vertical (more straight up and down).

With the way the 2002 grille is, the angle of the middle tubing looks better more vertical instead of slanted down from the middle to the outside like it is in your fab. It would also look better with the square headlight design with 2000-2001 Xterra's.

To illustrate I hope you don't mind the photo below to show what I mean.

Next, in the actual product, will the bumper line up better? Notice the tight fit in the middle and the large gap on the ends. I'm sure you are addressing this issue but I have not read about this yet. See photo below.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Krenn:
ChuckH, can you post a picture of your fog light mods to the ARB, I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Richard
Yep! I had these PIAA 910 driving lights hangig from my upper bar and wanted to clean things up so that's what's in the bumper now. You can see from the picture I miscalculated the holes a little bit, but once I get things adjusted and cleaned up it should be fine. The 910's were a bit difficult to work with because of the bracket design and because the housing is wider than the lens. Because of the sweep of the bumper at the sides combined with the shape of the lights and the need to aim them forward, the cutouts had to be wider than they are tall. I used a hole saw to make them round and then used a grinder to make one side into an oval. Then I was able to get the right fit and make a template for the other side. Having the bracket at the top of the light allowed me to simply bolt them right through the top of the bumper so I didn't need to make any special brackets behind the cutouts. Getting the mounting holes in the right spot was another challenge...first one was a mess, but the second one I got right the first try. The lights have to stick out a bit at the sides so they the light doesn't just get trapped behind the bumper. Overall, I'm pleased with the results so far. As you can see I'm also modifying the mid section of the ARB to clean up the lines and will be using a hawse fairlead on my winch instead of rollers. Not ideal for the cable, but it will be neat and tidy and the winch will hardly ever get used anyway. I intend to get everything adjusted, cleaned up, and the bumper painted this coming weekend and can post another picture then.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 04:38 PM

The front of the Xterra is curved so there is no way around it in the front. I asked in the other thread and people said there's was the same with other bumpers. Out on the ends of the wings though it will be better. The bumper is sitting at a slight angle right now. It just need to be adjusted and re-tightened.

On the center section, I'll see what it looks like, but realize tube cant be bent the way you drew it, It would look more like the left side here:

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 04:42 PM

Booya,

Short of curving the top of the bumper to match the truck grille(big money!), there's nothing that can be done about the gap issue you are noting. If you look at my ARB you will see the same gap difference...the front of the X just isn't flat across there. You really don't want the bumper tight on the sides anyway because the fenders will contact it if you get twisted up on an obstacle.

Your center bar design is pretty much exactly what I was thinking in my earlier post and I agree it would look better to have those bars more upright and the top bar covering the bulge better. Thanks for illustrating that!

Update: I see Jim beat me to it! I see his point about bending the bars but I still think they look better more upright even with a more drawn out bend. Maybe the base of the bars could still be moved outward more toward the lights to still better cover the bulge?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 05:01 PM

Hi Jim, as I wrote in my reply, the center bar design I'd prefer is similar to those of the ARB pictured above, more of a verical line. Keep up your fine work. Dan

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 05:47 PM

The 2" tubing and dies are *supposed* to be here Friday, so I may have some more pics this weekend.

Jim
Posted by: Walrus

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 05:47 PM

I agree with the last few comments, about having the middle vertical bars more, well, vertical.

The first design looks like the truck just visited Disneyworld... and left wearing a hat..

M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
Posted by: AverysX

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 06:19 PM

I'm gonna take some sh*t for this but I'm gonna give my opinion here.
First the outside edges need to be rounded off and taken in about an inch and a half. IMHO it kinda looks like someone tried to mount wings on the front of the Xterra to stabilize it in flight.
I don't know, maybe I just to need to see the finished product, but if I was shopping for a bumper and I saw this one as it stands right now I wouldn't purchase it. I know, I know, looks aren't whats important but quality isn't everything either. I don't think any of us would have purchased an Xterra if we had not liked the way it looked the way we enjoy its ruggedness. I'm not bashing Shrock, from what I've read and seen from them they are if not one the most customer oriented companies and they also build if not the best products out there for nissans. This is just my opinion.

Oh and keep up the good work Shrock. Hell I dont have a 4x4 and sometimes when I see your attention to customer service I wish I did just so I could purchase some of your products to support your company.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 06:36 PM

Hell I dont have a 4x4 and sometimes when I see your attention to customer service I wish I did just so I could purchase some of your products to support your company.

Feel free to donate all you can to the -
Daddy needs new front and rear bumpers fund
First National Bank of Xterras

I'll see the funds are appropriated. [Smoking]
Posted by: Olegkha

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 18/08/03 07:21 PM

Hey Shrock i wish you the best
but at this rate of sugestions you will never make a bumper wink

btw, the bumper it self looks much better then ARB , the hoops around the lights dont look too good wink

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 19/08/03 05:13 PM

Jim: Good lines for the beefy section and it appears the approach angles have been kept in mind with your design.

I think you're close with the nerf bar idea. But this bumper would really benefit if the bar were to follow the line of the center bar in the grill. I have seen some home made versions of winch bumpers and these did not have any bars around the headlights. Perhaps this may be an avenue that won't accentuate the round headlights as much. And this may be compatable with the square light design as well.

keep us posted on your progress. [Wave]

Wade
Calgary Nissan 4x4 Club
Posted by: Booya

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 20/08/03 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
The front of the Xterra is curved so there is no way around it in the front. I asked in the other thread and people said there's was the same with other bumpers. Out on the ends of the wings though it will be better. The bumper is sitting at a slight angle right now. It just need to be adjusted and re-tightened.

On the center section, I'll see what it looks like, but realize tube cant be bent the way you drew it, It would look more like the left side here:

Jim... thanks for the info. It's good that the outside edges can be raised and tightened a little at least.

On the tube; I see what you mean about the shape of the Xterra front end, since it concerns the initial design. Since you are trying to keep the bumper from sticking out too far, it's hard to work a tube design for it I'm sure.

I do like the bend on the left side, which you adjusted, in my basic drawing. I think you see though how that the two tubes in the middle coming up from the bumper need to be straight to a certain point. Bending towards the top does not look too bad.

The bumper looks good though. I just may get it without the tubing when it comes to production. Thanks again.
Posted by: OBEYgiant

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 22/08/03 06:58 AM

Jim,

This bumper looks great. Would it be possible to have these bars set wider so that the guards around the headlights are smaller?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 24/08/03 04:09 AM

I think it's amazing all the research and input you are taking. That is really unusual and cool. Makes me want to buy stuff from you!

Anyway, my .2 is that the first one is the best of all of them. It is unusual and looks custom built for the Xterra (if you're getting Xterra bumper replacement, don't you want it custom built?) I love the plan view, you took great care in adding alot of strength and dimensionality. That impressed me alot. It really adds to the look!
I don't think you should "normalize" the design as all your other designs are. If people want ARB or TJM, they can buy those already.

I would say refine and tweak the first one. As you know, a little play on the angles make a huge difference.
I think your first instincts are correct- it's new and photos lie a thousand times. With something different and no 3-dimensional reference, it is very hard to know how it really looks.
It is the only one, imo, that looks as tough as the ARB and TJM that others have on their Xterras while still looking cool in it's own right. It's not there, but that looks like the strongest direction.
Thanks for considering and continued success.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 26/08/03 07:01 PM

Hey someone liked the first one! smile

I think one of the issues with the first one was the differences b/t the drawings that many people liked and the way it actually came out. The bends were very sharp in the drawing and it gave it a more angular look . Unfortunately I cant bent real tube anywhere near that tight.

The real deal is completely DONE! It's going to the powdercoater this week, so look for the first pretty pics in a week or so.

I think many of you will like it. The 2" tube turned out sweet. I did tweak it a little from the last pic I posted.

Jim

Jim
Posted by: SalsaX

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 26/08/03 09:41 PM

So far I realy like what I see. Have you considered what you plan to charge for the bumper?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 28/08/03 08:29 PM

I think the bumper looks great and I can't wait to see the finished pictures on a spiffy clean Xterra!
Posted by: 2002ShockBlue

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 31/08/03 04:14 PM

Do you know how much the bumper weighs? I live in alaska and shipping is very expensive and just wanted to know how much extra I was going to have to save up to get one! looks good!

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 04/09/03 08:01 AM

I should have exact figures as soon as it is back from powdercoating, but about $575 and about 100lbs.
Posted by: Loop Choke

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 04/09/03 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
I should have exact figures as soon as it is back from powdercoating, but about $575 and about 100lbs.
Do you have a time frame for when the bumpers will be available?

Jason
Posted by: xterran01

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 04/09/03 08:10 PM

Jim,

I agree that the "eyeglasses" effect is more pronounced in the direct head-on version, accentuated by the newer, round headlamps. I'm thinking that the same upper bars might not look so funky on an '00. If you're up for it, we can retry it on mine and get some pix to compare. I definitely think you hit on a good angle for sweeping the upper bars back -looks much nicer than the ARB. It's functional without looking too utilitarian.
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 10:35 AM

I think its great how Shrock is working with us and changing his prototypes to suit our suggestions. This sort of mutual cooperation really makes me want to buy your products Shrock!
Posted by: Loop Choke

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
I think its great how Shrock is working with us and changing his prototypes to suit our suggestions. This sort of mutual cooperation really makes me want to buy your products Shrock!
Yeah, what he said!

Jason
Posted by: Dos Equis

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 12:07 PM

I am hooked. The input you have taken from your potential customers is great. I think "potential" says it all. You are not even guaranteed that anyone is going to buy what you build, but you are making an effort to come up with a design that meets everyones needs. As a fellow engineer I know how impossible it is to make everyone happy, but I think you may have been successful. Nice work. I was looking for an ARB bumber, but I have definitely changed my mind. Looking forward to seeing the final details. laugh
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 01:26 PM

Saw an interesting feature of some TJM bumpers the other day. They have T-shaped holes in the bumper to accept the tongue of a Hi-Lift:

Spiffy!
Brent

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 01:33 PM

I'm glad you guys like this and I appreciate the feedback.

I'll admit I had my doubts at times. laugh

When you work this hard on something, change suggestions can be....hard to swallow, but I think it ended up working out really well.

The bumper is supposed to be ready next week from powder coating. I'm really anxious to see it.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 01:34 PM

RE availability:

I'm already taking some orders from people who are eager to get one. I'm quoting 6 weeks to ship. Everything is done and ready, but I'm quoting the longer lead time since it is a new product and I will want to work very thoroughly and carefully on the first batch off the line and unexpected things could come up.

After the first batch the lead time should come down by a couple weeks.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 05/09/03 01:38 PM

A highlift fits into the cutouts on the bottom of the bumper. I usually jack from the sliders, but it's there on the bumper if you need it.
Posted by: krisjon

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 06/09/03 01:24 AM

Hey Jim,

What about the bottle opener? laugh
Posted by: Canadian X

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 06/09/03 10:54 AM

Jim

I'm really impressed with the both the new front bumper you have developed for the X and the way you went about it! Can't wait to see the final product. Also can't wait to put one on my X. Let me know the details of having one delivered to me here in Canada (Alberta).

Blake Rodgers
2002 RedX SE/SC (stock for now!)
Posted by: dano

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 06/09/03 01:14 PM

Is there anyway to make compensation, or a kit to allow the bumper to work with a bodylift without custom fabrication?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 07/09/03 11:50 PM

Ooooo, I can hardly wait to see the finished product. wink

You wanna do WHAT!!!!! [Huh?] eek

OK I'll lead! [Laughing]

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 09/09/03 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
Is there anyway to make compensation, or a kit to allow the bumper to work with a bodylift without custom fabrication?
Jim, I was wondering about this also... you said that the only limiting factor would be the truck frame... if you were to add a body lift, would that lift the bumper above the frame, and if so, would it be very noticeable?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 09/09/03 06:49 AM

A body lift lifts the body off the frame. The bumper is attached to the frame, so it will stay where it is, but the body (and grill) will be raised the amount of the body lift.

The frame mounting portion of the bumper would have to be redesigned. This would not be that difficult, but I'm concerned about how well it would hold up.

The frame on the X is very low already and the winch sits significantly above the frame. The higher the winch is, the greater torque (twisting force) applied to the frame and the bolts when winching.

The frame ends are also designed to crumple on severe impacts (they are made kinda like an accordion) so I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of just raising the bumper another 2-3" w/o any additional reinforcement.

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 09/09/03 07:11 AM

Who's worried about winching... I ain't gonna get stuck!!! laugh Once we get this thing on and I do a lift, I can toy around and see if I can't come up with something to fill in the gap without lifting the bumper and still keep it aesthetically pleasing... haven't the people with Calmini's and ARB's done something to lift the bumper, and if they're reading this, has this affected winching capabilities? But I do see your concern, just wondering if there's any way to overcome this...
Posted by: steinism

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 09/09/03 10:55 AM

the way i relocated the ARB for the 2" BL, we notched and capped the frame to the same angle as the ARB wings. measured 2" up on each side drilled out 2 new holes through the frame where we then welded in steel sleeves to keep the frame from crushing and making it solid instead of boxed. in addition we used one of the existing "nissan" holes on each side plus welding on a new wing to the ARB where it can also be bolted farther back underneath the truck(picture doesn't show it).

ARB RELOCATION SHOTS

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/09/03 04:29 AM

Hey Jim... bumper back from powdercoating yet?

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/09/03 07:34 AM

The powder coater is doing some BS for the City Light Rail project and has gotten very slow, but picking it up today! Pics tonight hopefully. laugh

Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - Part 2 - 17/09/03 07:36 AM

Kickass!!! Can't wait!