2005 Xterra Front Bumper

Posted by: Shrock

2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 02/08/05 03:41 PM

An update for everyone who's been asking and waiting patiently. Development kicked off today!

Too early to say when or how much, but I plan to have a first prototype and something to see within a couple weeks.

That radiator on the 2005 is REALLY low!

Jim
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/08/05 09:25 AM

I for one am very excited to see this project underway! smile

Yep, that radiator is quite low. Looks like a real front skid plate will be even more necessary on the '05 X. (Just remember the oil filter access.)

Take your time, Jim. I am confident that you will end up with a product with which everyone will be extremely happy.

Thanks for the update! cool
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/08/05 10:20 AM

Damn that is really low...Is it going to cause you problems Jim??

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/08/05 01:56 PM

oooooo, looks like the front of the wheel wells aren't part of the bumper like on the 00-04s. So much for improved approach angle there...

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/08/05 02:03 PM

if you go to the calmini website and look at their '05 X (http://www.purenissan.com/2005_xterra.htm) you can see that the part of the wheel well in front on the tires is gone. They don't say anything about cutting, so I guess they are removable.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/08/05 03:11 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe what you see in front of the tires on the 05 X in for the bumper design is just a plastic "liner" that is inside the wheel well. Whether it is easily removed with some sort of fastener, or just cut off, I don't think it is too big a deal.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 10/08/05 07:26 PM

do you have the bummper already? is it a winch bumper? the link did not show anything for 05

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/08/05 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rimedic:
do you have the bummper already? is it a winch bumper? the link did not show anything for 05
Not yet..soon though. It will be a winch bumper.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 05/09/05 01:10 PM

Just wanted to keep the progress on the 05 bumper alive in this thread.

Hopefully we will all see the latest cut of the bumper posted here soon! smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/09/05 01:05 AM

that is awsome looking

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/09/05 02:37 AM

Damn..that IS a nice product Jim!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 18/09/05 09:14 PM

Ho-hum . . . [Sleep]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 19/09/05 09:22 AM

Quote:
Ho-hum . . .
I'm as anxious as anyone, but I'd rather he be fabbing than keeping you posted on his progress.

Order one from Calmini, I'm sure it will ship right out. laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 19/09/05 09:29 AM

For this thread, look at the initial post date (and picture) and then my profile next to my posts. Maybe you'll guess why I am more anxious than anyone. wink

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 19/09/05 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dnorton:
For this thread, look at the initial post date (and picture) and then my profile next to my posts. Maybe you'll guess why I am more anxious than anyone. wink
So did Jim give you something to drive around in?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 19/09/05 08:34 PM

If you're just giving him some good-natured jabs, my bad. But it comes of like you are busting his balls about keeping us posted on his progress.

If he's using your truck, why don't you just stop in or call him to check the progress?
Posted by: TJ

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/09/05 05:11 AM

I think its just a version of "bump".

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/10/05 06:12 PM

Any updates on the bumper?

Also, I know Shrock was making full skids for the 00-04's, but how about the 05's? I want to get rid of these foil thick stock skids.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/10/05 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:

Also, I know Shrock was making full skids for the 00-04's, but how about the 05's? I want to get rid of these foil thick stock skids.
Yeah, he does have plans for skids for the 05

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/10/05 07:03 PM

Quote:

I am with you. I have sliders on order and will order a bumper when Jim has one available for the 05 but the the wait is killing me.

I am just afraid that the skids will be further out into the future.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/10/05 08:33 AM

I spoke with Jim on Monday. He's starting my '05 front bumper this week--he's in production mode. Will take ~3 wks to make, ~1 wk to ship.

I also asked him about '05 skid plates. He said they had not started on them yet, but they would probably be next to design, in about a month or so.

-Bob
Posted by: Double D

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 06:13 PM

Jim,

The prototype looks awesome! Do you have any photos of the finished product yet? Will you offer a non-painted/finished version? How about pricing?

Keep up the good work.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 06:35 PM

We found one glitch on rev 2. and ended up having to make one more small change. Got all the Rev 3 pieces fitted up tonight, and everything worked great!

Horrible pic, but had to share with all of you who have been waiting patiently.

More and much better quality pics very soon!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 06:36 PM

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

brantley

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddamato:
[QB]Jim,

Will you offer a non-painted/finished version? How about pricing?
QB]
Bare steel and a no tube version will be offered. Price deductions will be similar to the current bumper

Current price is $749.00 which includes the bumper and skid plate in black powder coat, factory fog light mounts and top tube. This is very subject to change (unless you have an order in already). The light mounts may become optional and add additional cost, but for now it's $749 loaded.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 06:59 PM

I love it! Can't wait till it starts shipping

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 08:20 PM

Revision 3 looks awsome.

I plan on ordering one also. I am just waiting to see what it looks like with the top tube since I can not make up my mind whether I want it with the tube or not.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/10/05 09:42 PM

Jim..Rev3 looks so good, even though I don't have an 05, I may buy that bumper and hang it on my wall as a piece of art! [Smoking]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 07:50 AM

[ThumbsUp] That what Nissan should've put on this truck from the start. That looks awsome do you have a profile shot of the bumper on the truck. Better start saving some money so I can get one.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 09:16 AM

Looks good. I have to call today and confirm my pre-order.

The gap below the lights looks a little odd.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 04:19 PM

Working on the tube today. Pics tomorrow of that.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 04:34 PM

Boo-tee-full!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 04:55 PM

[ThumbsUp] Very nice!

Are the wheel wells completely removed or are they cut/dremeled out?

Any disadvantages of not having wheel wells?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 05:09 PM

Looks great!

I would hope that they are not completly removed. I would like to keep SOME of the mud out of the engine. smile

There goes that itch again.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 25/10/05 07:41 PM

I trimmed the wheel well material where is was no longer needed, i.e hanging out in the open. The rest of it is still there. It's a rubbery plastic material. I trimmed it w/ a utility knife.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 06:44 AM

After cutting off the inner fender, does the plastic flap at all?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 08:42 AM

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 08:48 AM

On my '01, when I did the BL, I used zip ties through the lift-lips/remaining plastic....to the frame....to keep it from flapping.

I imagine the same options exist for any rig.

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 09:38 AM

Are those the lower control arm bolts to the right and left of the skid plate?

I was kinda hoping they would be protected a bit as those two spots are the only places I have actually hit so far.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 02:13 PM

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 02:19 PM

Pretty

[ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 02:21 PM

Awesome, I'd take the bars!
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 02:30 PM

Me likey!! Good job Jim.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 03:31 PM

looks kinda goofy with the bars in my opinion

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 03:43 PM

Very nice, What's the possibility of shipping to an APO AE address? By the time I can pay for it I'll be in the land of beer and brats.
Posted by: spalind

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 04:51 PM

Holy crap that looks good!! Very nice and tight and conforms to the body lines great!! ALMOST makes me wish I had an '05 or '06!! laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 04:56 PM

Its great!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunzen:
What's the possibility of shipping to an APO AE address?
APO is 70lbs max, AFAIK.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 05:32 PM

Well done Jim [ThumbsUp] , I actually like the hoops on the '05+ bumper, really don't like 'em on the previous geneartion so go figure.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Well done Jim [ThumbsUp] , I actually like the hoops on the '05+ bumper, really don't like 'em on the previous geneartion so go figure.
Even though it looks almost exactly the same. There are 2 subtle differences on this tube setup. laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 26/10/05 09:31 PM

F'n sweet! Almost makes me want a second gen.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:05 AM

I guess it is just me but I do not think the hoops look right in relation to the "V" from the front grill. I think that the front tube sides should be slanted in the same angle and direction as the grill "V"

At least it allowed me to decide not to go with the tube and hoops.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
Quote:
[b]Well done Jim [ThumbsUp] , I actually like the hoops on the '05+ bumper, really don't like 'em on the previous geneartion so go figure.
Even though it looks almost exactly the same. There are 2 subtle differences on this tube setup. laugh [/b]
2 differences i can see:

1. the 05 version headlight hoops do not attach to the bumper at a 90 degree angle. The bars are nearly square to the bumper, but they do angle inward just a tad, which looks great. On the 00-01 version is see the 90 degrees as a necessity to not impair visibility of blinkers

2. The center hoop on the 05 version looks to follow the downward slant of the hood where on the older version it actually was slightly above the line of the hood

Can you verify these differences Jim?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 03:37 PM

The pics on page 3 look great. But is this what the final production bumper will look like? I'm just curious. I was wondering if the final production bumper will sit a little tighter against the headlights? Thanks.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 03:58 PM

From what I gather, that is the final bumper, at least looks wise.

Jim stated the gap is only about 3/4 to 1 inch which isn't bad. When I ordered mine I asked him about the gap. It's needed for when the bumper flexs it doesn't bust the lights.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by srpage:
I guess it is just me but I do not think the hoops look right in relation to the "V" from the front grill. I think that the front tube sides should be slanted in the same angle and direction as the grill "V"

At least it allowed me to decide not to go with the tube and hoops.
After looking at it a bit more, I kind of agree. I wonder is there is a reason it's not. I'm not sure if the tube could be bent easily the way I am thinking.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 05:50 PM

Hmmm, funny how that angle went un-noticed before...but now that I'm looking at it...the crease of the bumper's line would just be continued, as that line already matches the grill's V lines...

He'd have to make the head light loops a bit shorter in from the center length, and broaden the top span to match the outer headlight rake margin, and have the central hoop be a big upside down pyramid, so the risers would match the grill lines...which then flow into the hood crease lines....

So, we'd end up with the headlight hoops being angled to have symetry with the central hoops, and, match the turn signal/headlight edge lines....

....and the central hoop would be broader on top, to span the crease to crease distance across the hood's leading edge...

Kind of a set of two triangles flanking a matching central inverted triangle...

I'm not sure how that would look aesthetically...

Any Photoshop pro's here who can paste up a version of what that would look like?

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 06:23 PM

You lost me:)

I was thinking something like this.

Sorry, for the poor paintbrush job.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 06:39 PM

You lost me to TJ, something like this?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 06:45 PM

Pony, that's what I was thinking.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 06:48 PM

My 1.88 cents but I prefer Jim's original work. Nice photoshop Ponyboy.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:15 PM

Quote:
Are those the lower control arm bolts to the right and left of the skid plate?

I was kinda hoping they would be protected a bit as those two spots are the only places I have actually hit so far.
i kinda have to agree here. the pivot point/joint is the only thing (and the first thing i might add!!!) i have scrapped as well. i am a little concerned about that.

the other question i have is, with the front wheels so exposed, what do you think will happen in the rain or when splashing through puddles. when i put a 3in lift on my superduty, it significantly changed the way water splashed out of the wheels wells. there was suddenly A LOT of water splashing out further in front of the truck. i can only assume because the front tires weren't as protected.

would this then result in the same issue???

how bad might this be moddified with the lift???

and i like the bumper, but it seems like, from the front view, the tires are a little.....exposed. with a lift (say the calmini 5 inch!) would this stance loook a little....well....lanky (for lack of a better term)..???

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:20 PM

The exposed tires look no worse than the 00-04 bumpers I have seen, so I don't think that should be too much of a problem.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:29 PM

yeah but that pics not lifted!, that's more of what i was asking about.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:42 PM

Well, there are plenty of lifted 00-04 X's out there with aftermarket bumpers with good approch angles, so I think it would be safe. That is not to say that it won't spray more, but I don't think it would be a big problem.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:43 PM

Quote:

[/QB]
The radius of the center hoop bend is way tighter than what is actually possible. Ive found that with tube woork, you just have to try it and see what it looks like. I lot of stuff that seems like it would look good doesnt and vise-versa.

This is what an overbent hoop looks like....chop this on there.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 07:48 PM

Quote:

2 differences i can see:
[/QB]
The radius on the 2" tube is tighter. The center hoop leans back more and the headlight guards also lean back some. The headligh guards leaning back give an illusion that they are bent less than 90deg.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 08:10 PM

Quote:
the pivot point/joint is the only thing (and the first thing i might add!!!) i have scrapped as well. i am a little concerned about that.

the other question i have is, with the front wheels so exposed, what do you think will happen in the rain or when splashing through puddles.
You cant wrap something like a skid under the pivot bolt area bec the arms have to drop down there. It's a very beefy part. Are you guys damaging it or jusr dinging it up some? I'll take a look at it though.

Exposing the front tires is one of the major purposes of a bumper like this and what allows you to go places offroad you'd otherwise get hung up. It's not significantly different than many other bumpers for other trucks in this respect and I've never noticed a downside on the road.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 08:19 PM

I got to say, i like the orginal look. But for the peeps that want to see the v shape.

So from what your saying Jim, this is the most you can get it to bend?:

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 08:41 PM

That doesnt look bad. I like this better though. To me it just has a mean pissed off bull-nose look. laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 27/10/05 08:42 PM

Yeah Jim [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] In my opinion, don't change it laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 28/10/05 02:02 AM

While I like the original design best, I think the angled one looks nice too. You know... I think if you offered the right person a few extra bucks you could probably get it made with the V shape since they are custom made per order. Any idea who that person may be Jim? wink

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 28/10/05 04:21 AM

I think that if you angle out the center risers, you also have to angle out the side risers to have symetry.

In retrospect, I think the original design is good, the suggested design blends TOO well, and is lost in the truck's lines....

The original design LOOKS like aggressive extra protection, the angled design is almost invisible.

And Hell Yeah! - I'd like my tires to be able to reach EVERYTHING, the more tire you can see, the better.

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 28/10/05 01:36 PM

Just a thought...

so If you can't overbend the tubes in the center section to make the angle you want, why can't you put the bends in the side hoops, i.e. make the outer parts three-sided tubes that are c-shaped and then the center section would be more-or-less just a top piece that gets welded to the end hoops?

Did that make any sense? [Huh?]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 28/10/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
Just a thought...

so If you can't overbend the tubes in the center section to make the angle you want, why can't you put the bends in the side hoops, i.e. make the outer parts three-sided tubes that are c-shaped and then the center section would be more-or-less just a top piece that gets welded to the end hoops?
[Huh?]
That was the very first design I tried on the 00-04 Xterra Front Bumper. Everyone but one person who replied HATED it, so I changed it. laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 29/10/05 07:36 AM

ok... here's another thought...

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 29/10/05 09:10 AM

Does this last design come with the lights and tire upgrade included? Fun Photochop work [LOL]

I think that looks kinda cool myself and I think it wouldn't be too hard to get the bends right, but I also like the original.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/10/05 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZ4SNO:
ok... here's another thought...

I think this is the cleanest looking design and like this the best but it appears that is not the general consensus.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/10/05 07:08 PM

i like that design the best too.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/10/05 07:33 PM

We actually talked about trying this setup, but never actually did it. I'm game for making this an option if it looks like this on the truck with real tube....I think it should.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/10/05 04:43 AM

Since I don't have a 2005+ I probably should keep my mouth shut, but...

I think the bars look absolutely rediculous going up and out like the grille. I think it's just too much of the "V" or something? Looks much better with them going the opposite direction.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/10/05 11:34 AM

Ya know, I thought I would like the bars like that more, but I don't after seeing it. I'll stick with the original. smile
Posted by: RedX

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/10/05 11:48 AM

Original design looks great, Jim.

[ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/10/05 11:58 AM

I like!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/10/05 08:50 PM

Quote:
We actually talked about trying this setup, but never actually did it. I'm game for making this an option if it looks like this on the truck with real tube....I think it should.
I really think you should try it... bend the top tube to wrap around the hood slightly and follow the lines of the bumper... will look really nice.

I have posted your comment on SOXC and suggest that you check out the thread there as well...

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 02/11/05 01:04 PM

I might have missed it but what is the estimated price of this going to be? Will there need to be any modifications due to the extra weight on the front end? Thanks
-Matt

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 02/11/05 01:19 PM

It's in there some place, but $750 is the estimated price. That includes black powdercoat and top tube.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 05:03 AM

It's $749.00 w/ tube, powder coat, and fog light mounts.

This may go up. I'm trying to avoid it, but it's a possibility.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 05:29 AM

Posted by: spalind

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 05:39 AM

Quote:
Wow!! That is slick...as always Jim...great work!!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 06:21 AM

Hmmm...looks SWEEEET!

Now, about those crappy OEM tires.....

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 06:21 AM

Wow that is nice.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 07:34 AM

Awesome looking. Now with a bumper and sliders that are hot looking, it does draw attention to the crappy and small OEM tires, and the need for a SL.

Of course, to really feel better while offroading, a complete set of skids equal to the qualtity of the skid built into this new bumper are required. To me, skids are more important than a SL or even tires (although tires are right up there).

Just beautiful, and very strong looking. Thanks Jim! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 08:43 AM

Doing a great job Jim [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:04 AM

Sexy!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:20 AM

uuuggggh, i have to go change my pants now.

nice work! prices? paint/coat options?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Redsox1113:
uuuggggh, i have to go change my pants now.

Did you read the whole post? laugh

Quoted from Jim on page 6 "It's $749.00 w/ tube, powder coat, and fog light mounts.

This may go up. I'm trying to avoid it, but it's a possibility."

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Redsox1113:

+ $10.00 for gray. Minus $90.00 for bare steel.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:41 AM

thanks guys. man it looks good. makes me wanna ram people and push them through stop lights! jk. simply beautiful. nice work! [Smoking]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 10:55 AM

Wow.

Does any more need to be said? smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 11:03 AM

Jim that looks great..Wish I had an 05'. frown

Maybe I can convince my sister to buy one. wink laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 01:08 PM

will the bare steel look like bumper in the earlier posts (with weld marks and everything), or will it be cleaner looking?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eli:
will the bare steel look like bumper in the earlier posts (with weld marks and everything), or will it be cleaner looking?
Bare steel means you will need to paint it unless you like rust color. laugh

It will need nothing more than clean/wipe off, prime and paint.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 06:12 PM

Jim,

I'm not sure where I am in the pre-order line. But if you can post a picture of the gray bumper before you send mine in for powdercoating, I would appreciate it. I'll probably stick with the black, but I'd like to see what the gray looks like.

Thanks,

Adrian

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 08:07 PM

i'm also confused about the gray powdercoat. The 02-04 frontier bumper looks like it has 1 version that is a very dark gray, which i like, and the old version has a light gray that matches the trim. The picture of the gray powdercoat on the website shows the "light gray" color i'm talking about and it looks pretty bad IMO. I'm not sure if its the lighting or not in the picture, but the silver fronty w/out tubes on top looks to have a very dark gray powdercoat.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 08:12 PM

None of the current 2005 orders are Gray. Here is a 1st gen gray one.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutz:
i'm also confused about the gray powdercoat.
It's all the same, it's just the lighting and angle. It plays havoc with the color. It is a very close match to the factory plastic on the gen 1 Xterras.

I havent actually held it up to an 05+ X to see if they have the same color gray yet.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/11/05 09:59 PM

Well Jim,

Maybe you can tell me what you think. I have a White X. Do you think the gray or black would look better? I don't know if I want to be the first to try it out, but I will consider it if I can be relatively sure it will look good on my X.

Thanks for your input,

Adrian

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 02:45 AM

Here is a wheeling shot of the same bumper.

The black is high gloss while the grey is a matte finish. In my opinion the grey looks more factory and the black looks more like an add-on. There really is no right or wrong, they both look great. I love the grey bumper, I am very glad I got it instead of black.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 11:37 AM

Gray sample piece on a stock 05 "Plastic Fantastic Bumper"

It's close. If you look at the stock bumper you can see that the color APPEARS to vary wildly across the bumper but it's just the light/glare in the pic.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 12:05 PM

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 12:10 PM

Keep the pics coming Jim! [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 12:35 PM

No, he can stop with the pics, it's making me impatient. smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 01:04 PM

Was the Nissan towing point removed? If so, was it just bolted on or was cuting involved?

Thanks! Oh and nice work!

Edit: Nevermind, I believe I see it hidden under in the shadow... [Freak]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 01:12 PM

The factory tow hook just bolts on. And from the pictures it's been removed.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 01:15 PM

Is it me or is that a different bumper than the other pics and without the Winch hole?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 01:24 PM

Quote:

Is it me or is that a different bumper than the other pics and without the Winch hole?
Photoshop majic. laugh It had the liscense plate on the front and I thought it was distracting.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 01:35 PM

Ah, ok, confused me for a second.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 05:23 PM

Could ya post a side view too?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 07:18 PM

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 07:27 PM

THAT'S what Nissan should be using as the STANDARD bumper.

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 04/11/05 10:59 PM

Jim,

You're just teasing us now. I'm salivating just looking at those photos.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 06/11/05 02:37 PM

So, what is the tentative date at this point?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 06/11/05 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WurlyBurd:
So, what is the tentative date at this point?
For what? The first production batch for early pre-orders orders will be out of here in about 3 weeks. Recent and new orders about four weeks.

Jim

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/11/05 12:53 PM

I can't wait. First I ordered my sliders and then 3 days later I order the bumper. I can't explain it I think I got bit buy the "bug".

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/11/05 12:59 PM

I kinda did the same. I ordered the sliders and then talked to Jim a few days later about the bumper (though I already planned to buy the bumper when I ordered the sliders).

Now I just need for them to get here before I do any more damage.

Also in serious need of skids. I feared for my underside this past Saturday. I still have not climbed under there to take a look at how much I beat up.
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 04:49 AM

I've got some concerns now that I have seen how the grill area was addressed. So in order to clear the grill, which it almost appears to be touching, the bumper sits quite a bit away from the fenders??? Is that right? It almost looks like the gap you get with an aftermarket bumper and a body lift. HMMM...

Also, the grill touching the bumper seems to be a potential for more problems... With aftermarket bumpers attached directly to the frame and the body moving independantly from the frame... doesn't it seem like the center grill will be highly susceptible to being rubbed/pushed and ultimately stressed to cracking???

Just interested since we have only seen pictures from below the "joint" and now we can see how that was resolved. In all honesty, the bumper looks great but the solution to the grill 1" drop is not fully resolved. (not sure about the bars either but that's just personal opinion and should not be considered a concern)

Thanks.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
So in order to clear the grill, which it almost appears to be touching, the bumper sits quite a bit away from the fenders???
I'm not sure what you mean? Clearing the grill didnt cause any gaps or moving anything anywhere we didnt want it....?

Quote:
It almost looks like the gap you get with an aftermarket bumper and a body lift. HMMM...
There is about 1/2" b/t the bumper and the lowest spot on the headlight which is exactly what you want...so unless your doing 1/2" body lifts, not sure what you mean.

It's difficult to see in pics, but the area of the headlight where the turn signal is drops down a bit, so the minimun spacing for flex is from that point. Also, the fender/fender flare attaches to the headlight a bit higher than the bottom of the headlight (1/4-3/8"). This creates a bit more gap b/t the fender and bumper than b/t the headlight and the bumper, probably about 3/4". If you look at pics of other 05 bumpers, you'll see the same thing, about 3/4 - 1" gap b/t the fender and the bumper and less under the headlight.

The bumper could be moved up from where it is in the pics if someone wanted to. It's sitting at the bottom of the slots. I think looks about right where is is though.

Quote:
Also, the grill touching the bumper seems to be a potential for more problems... ... doesn't it seem like the center grill will be highly susceptible to being rubbed/pushed and ultimately stressed to cracking???
It isnt touching. Even if it were it's made of a rubbery plastic material and stress cracks are highly unlikely in a material like this. It will just flex.

I thinking you are maybe missing exactly how we delt with the grill issue. It really isnt anything magical, but I'd rather not explain.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 05:35 AM

I think it's jsut the gap looks strange because there is no grill around the lights.

Jim, just curious, do you have the weight of the bumper?
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 06:55 AM

Jim - I appreciate the response... in looking at the grill again I can now see that the bumper is held back to allow the grill to slide past the bumper. The gap is what has caught my attention. The 05s don't have a perfectly horizontal line to match up, that's what I have been worried about.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 07:16 AM

Quote:
The 05s don't have a perfectly horizontal line
Boy is that ever true. The bumper has a lot of subtle angles in it to make it match up well. This made it a challenge, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Most of what looks flat/horizontal on the '05 isn't!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 11:04 AM

Jim, do you have plans for a rear bumper/tire carrier for the 05s anytime soon? I love the way the front bumper looks, but it might just be a little too much for NYC. smile

Thanks

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 11:15 AM

I'm in NYC all the time, and the bumper, and the sliders, ALL get a work out depending upon luney parking and errant traffic.

I've been T-boned by light runners/sideswiped by crazed rush hour escapees (Sliders), backed into by trucks, cars, and one bicyclist (Bumper), and no damage from any of them, thanks to Shrock's Steel between me and NYC.

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by max6spd:
[QB]Jim, do you have plans for a rear bumper/tire carrier for the 05s anytime soon? /QB]
Yeah we will do it. No ETA yet though.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 11:41 AM

Skids! We want skid plates before anything else smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 12:58 PM

Quote:
Skids! We want skid plates before anything else smile
I second that. smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 03:11 PM

Skids are indeed ahead of the rear bumper.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/11/05 07:32 PM

That is a nice looking bumper, questions:

1. Will a warn 9.5ti with intergrated solenoid fit in the winch enclosure?

2. If so, it looks like engaging the winch would be pretty tough, how is it done?

Thanks
DC

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 09/11/05 07:03 AM

Quote:

1. Will a warn 9.5ti with intergrated solenoid fit in the winch enclosure?
Yes

Quote:
2. If so, it looks like engaging the winch would be pretty tough, how is it done?
The clutch lever is very easy to access through the right side trapezoid shaped hole. You can see it in this pic.

The winch controller connection can be relocated to the top of the bumper:

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 09/11/05 07:08 PM

That is a trick set up smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/11/05 12:04 PM

Shrock, Are there any winch brands that you would recommend using with the 05 bumper. Thanks for the Fedex tracking site. I can't wait for the sliders to get here.

Bryan Glover

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/11/05 09:50 AM

Warn 8000, 9000, 9500 all work well.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/11/05 02:48 PM

Thankyou!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 16/11/05 05:43 PM

I know it was asked, but I can't find an answer and I am also very curious, what is the weight of one of thes bumpers w/o winch?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 17/11/05 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WurlyBurd:
I know it was asked, but I can't find an answer and I am also very curious, what is the weight of one of thes bumpers w/o winch?
Heavy as shit is the official weight. I installed one on my 2003 by myself with the aid of a jack and 4 jackstands... lots of beer and lots of cussing.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 17/11/05 09:18 PM

According to Jim's website, the pre '05s are a reasonable 105lbs. I would assume that the '05 are around the same.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/11/05 10:18 AM

Just curious, has anyone got there bumper yet?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/11/05 11:24 AM

Nope, still waiting

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/11/05 02:18 PM

No still waiting also. When did you order yours?
I can't wait for to get it for some reason my girlfriend just dosen't seem to understand though.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/11/05 02:25 PM

I ordered mine on Oct 25th.
At that time it was about a 5 week wait, so I am just patiently waiting. I was just wondering if anyone got theirs yet as I know I was kinda late in ordering.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/11/05 02:32 PM

I think I ordered mine around Nov. 4th.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 10/12/05 11:14 AM

Jim,
When do you think the first orders will start shipping? I know we are all getting anxious and it would be great to get it all installed before X-mas.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 10/12/05 05:20 PM

I'm still waiting on a rear bumper that I ordered in July... wink

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/12/05 03:11 PM

I called Jim today to find out what's going on with my bumper. He originally said it would be back from the powder coater just after Thanksgiving, but apparently he's had some setbacks. He didn't say what caused the delay, but he did say that the bumpers wont be ready to ship until the 2nd or 3rd week of January.

I was hoping to get mime by Christmas because I have a few days to work on it. Come January, I will be extremely busy again, but alas, I guess I'll have to find the time. I'd rather the bumper be late and made correctly, than on time with defects.

Additionally, I just found out my bumper will be shipped FedEx Freight. I will be picking it up from the local terminal (to save a few bucks). Jim was nice enough to email me their address and phone number while I was on the phone with him.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/12/05 02:55 PM

Things are looking good now. Current target is 3rd week of January to ship.

FYI, we started design works on the 2005 skid plates this week too.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/12/05 06:07 PM

Quote:
Sweet! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/12/05 07:35 PM

Quote:
Things are looking good now. Current target is 3rd week of January to ship.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/12/05 10:37 PM

Quote:

/me reaches into wallet...yep, the credit card is still there. wink

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 22/12/05 03:17 PM

Quote:
----------------------------------

Keep up the good work Jim. I don't even want to think about the plates yet but thanks for keeping all of us updated. Can't wait to get that bumper! smile

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/12/05 06:12 PM

call me when you got em ready to ship...I dont want no back orders. Played that game with too many manufacturers.

Mike Carsner-- 541-990-3650

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 24/12/05 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by half fast:
call me when you got em ready to ship...I dont want no back orders. Played that game with too many manufacturers.

Mike Carsner-- 541-990-3650
Well once they are ready Jim makes them to order..So you'd have to wait anyways.. wink

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 11:31 AM

UPDATE: They started shipping Friday. All of the first batch will be out of here by tomorrow. Here is the first pic of a gray one.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 12:06 PM

That's bad a$$.

Looks Great.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 12:29 PM

Man, that is F'n sweet!

Great work. [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 01:22 PM

The gray looks better than I thought it would although .....
I am still waiting patiently for my black one to be shipped.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 03:21 PM

I to am patiently waiting for my email telling me mine has been shipped.

Bryan Glover

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bgloveX:
I to am patiently waiting for my email telling me mine has been shipped.

It's going out today. Surprised you havent received the email.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 30/01/06 06:14 PM

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I just checked my email again and still have not received one as of 9:10 pm EST. If you could resend it that would be great.Thanksagain for the update.

Bryan Glover

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/01/06 04:47 AM

I just re-sent it. If it's not there I must have the wrong email for you. Please call or email me as it will be faster than posting here.

Jim

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 31/01/06 11:26 PM

More gray pics...the gray color is easier to take good pictures of.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 01/02/06 03:31 PM

hey jim, any pictures of the bumper WITHOUT tubes painted and mounted? i saw the unfinished pics on your site, would love to see it on there painted, esp. in black. thanks

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 01/02/06 04:07 PM

No, we shipped one black w/o tube though....maybe they will post.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 01/02/06 04:29 PM

Quote:
No, we shipped one black w/o tube though....maybe they will post.
I expect to get my bumper without the tubes in a couple of days. I will post pics after I get it installed.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/02/06 08:17 PM

anyone got any pics of the whole truck w/ the bumper from the side. ya know, like wide shots.

they are all kinda close in or straight down the front.

trying to get a bigger picture on how it makes the whole thing look. not that this is a go/no-go factor but it might help.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/02/06 08:32 PM

closest thing I could find.....

Look, defenseless babies!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/02/06 08:37 PM

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 07:47 AM

Hey Jordan, how did Angelle do on the ice? laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 10:36 AM

Ponyboy I really like that bumper on your truck.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hey Jordan, how did Angelle do on the ice? laugh
All i can say is, get out of her way! Nah, she did great. Won her first round in the women's class, but got beat by a subaru in round 2. Good times!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kokopop:
Thanks bro!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 02:20 PM

Quote:
Are we gonna see one on yours anytime soon Keith?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/02/06 04:21 PM

perfect!
that's exactly what i was looking for

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 09/02/06 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
Quote:
[b]Ponyboy I really like that bumper on your truck.
Are we gonna see one on yours anytime soon Keith?[/b]
Gene I am thinking about it, but we just had a baby and as a result my wife isn't working, plus the tax man comith to my house again. Hit me for about a bumper and a 2 sets of sliders.

I have money for skid plates. Right now I thinking I will stick with that. In the end I need to make a plan and stick to it. My want is bigger than my wallet.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/02/06 08:06 AM

Jim, What's the wait time for the front bumper if I order one. I'm being sent overseas and will be shipping the vehicle(mil.). Thank you. [drink]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/02/06 08:41 AM

It's about 4-5 weeks right now.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/02/06 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
Are we gonna see one on yours anytime soon Keith?[/QUOTE]

If all works out you will see it at the April Fools run. Just ordered it this morning. The wait is going to kill me.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/02/06 10:21 AM

Mine should be on this Saturday. laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/02/06 11:05 AM

Quote:
Mine should be on this Saturday. laugh
What tools will I need. Any special sized sockets? I have access to air tools and such.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/02/06 11:30 AM

I don't know yet, I'll let you know after Saturday.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 14/02/06 04:29 PM

I did a partial reply at this cool site:

For 2nd Gen Folks

But here is the complete list off of Jim's Instructions:

Sockets: 11mm,14mm, 17mm, 19mm
Wrenches: 19mm, 14mm
Floor Jack
Friend (I suggest a few)
Utility Knife (I used EMT Shears)
Sawzall or Hack Saw (We used Sawzall and a grinder)

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 12:17 AM

SawZall.. I saw that in a dream once.. It ended with me having a soft top... [LOL]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueClimber:
I did a partial reply at this cool site:

For 2nd Gen Folks

But here is the complete list off of Jim's Instructions:

Sockets: 11mm,14mm, 17mm, 19mm
Wrenches: 19mm, 14mm
Floor Jack
Friend (I suggest a few)
Utility Knife (I used EMT Shears)
Sawzall or Hack Saw (We used Sawzall and a grinder)
Is there a copy of Jim's instructions some place? If there should have been some with the bumper, there wasn't with mine.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 06:20 AM

I just email'd them to you Jason.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
SawZall.. I saw that in a dream once.. It ended with me having a soft top... [LOL]
something along these lines? laugh [LOL]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 07:19 AM

[LOL]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 07:32 AM

Thanks Jim, I got them.

Just curious, are there any torque specs for the bolts?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 07:54 AM

75 ft-tbs on the 1/2" bolts and 60 ft-lbs on the M12's.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 08:00 AM

Thank ya.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 10:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]SawZall.. I saw that in a dream once.. It ended with me having a soft top... [LOL]
[/b]
exactly laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 15/02/06 07:19 PM

So THAT's how they make Frontiers....

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 16/02/06 11:12 AM

Ordered my bumper today! whoohoo!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 17/02/06 06:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]SawZall.. I saw that in a dream once.. It ended with me having a soft top... [LOL]
[/b]
exactly laugh [/b]
Is that for real!? Some sweet photoshop work...?
Where are the writeups and instructions for that mod?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 17/02/06 01:10 PM

um that is what happens when a nissan tech is placed in a room with a sawzall and an xterra and told to make a frontier..

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/02/06 07:40 AM

Here is my front bumper. Got it installed on Saturday. Piece of advice, check to make sure you have all the bolt hardware. After I already had the stock bumper off I decided to sort the bolts and realized I was missing quite a few (more than half). A quick run to the local harware store and $2.50 later I had everything I needed.

The install is simple, but getting the stock bumper off is a bit tricky when you don't know where all the little clips and bolts are located.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/02/06 09:47 AM

Quote:

Herculiner?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/02/06 10:07 AM

Yeah. I got the bumper bare, cleaned it, primed it using a PPG self etching primer and then rolled it with Herculiner (I sprayed the inside with Dupli-Color bedliner). If I had to do it again, I would just get the powdercoat and be done. It took an entire weekend to prep and coat that beast.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 20/02/06 11:13 PM

looks good... [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 06:39 AM

Sweet job! Now do your sliders! laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 07:48 AM

Jim,

If you are still keeping an eye on this thread. Would a Warn XD9000i winch fit in the bumper?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Sweet job! Now do your sliders! laugh
The sliders were also Herculined, along with the lower part of my doors.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 08:01 AM

XD9000i would fit great.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 10:38 AM

Thanks Jim.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 04:47 PM

what happens to the air bag sensors in the bumper...when you take the stock bumper off?
miles

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 05:54 PM

They are not in the bumper. The bumper will NOT prevent your airbags from going off.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 08:46 PM

thanks..jim..when is the next batch of sliders ready to go out? ordered them but cant remember if you said 2 weeks or 3 weeks till the end of production?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 21/02/06 11:51 PM

email me your real name and I'll check.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 22/02/06 10:26 AM

jim I sent you a private message with my real name...

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 22/02/06 08:27 PM

Maybe I missed it but does anyone have any pictures of their bumper next to an X with the stock bumper? From the pictures I've seen it looks like you almost lose ground clearance with the new bumper. Maybe the stock one really sits that low, just the plastic gets in the way. Anyone else notice this?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 22/02/06 09:32 PM

I don't have a pic, but I can assure you, you do not lose ground clearence.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 22/02/06 10:51 PM

laugh

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/02/06 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjm4soccer:
Maybe I missed it but does anyone have any pictures of their bumper next to an X with the stock bumper? From the pictures I've seen it looks like you almost lose ground clearance with the new bumper. Maybe the stock one really sits that low, just the plastic gets in the way. Anyone else notice this?
Not sure what would give you this impression. I can assure you that the opposite is definitely the case. You gain nearly a foot out by the tires. In the center, the skid bolts to the crossmember, so at worst, you aren't loosing anything there, but I'm pretty sure the stock skid/splash guard thing hangs down lower.

This one has a spacer lift, but just look at all that clearance. Look back at the very first pic in this thread. See all that black plastic by the tires. That is where the stock bumper sits.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/02/06 05:54 AM

Ah everytime I see an 05 with the bumper I am so Amp's up about getting mine. The wait is killing me.

How many holes are on the top of the bumper? Correct me if I am wrong, 2 for lights and 1 for the winch control connection.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/02/06 07:26 AM

2 for the light, 2 for winch control (you have the option of left or right)

Mine has a 5th hole I drilled for my CB antenna.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/02/06 07:58 AM

GAH!!!......I waited too long. Jim has lowerd his multi-order discount from 10% to 5%.....

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/02/06 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Xplore:
GAH!!!......I waited too long. Jim has lowerd his multi-order discount from 10% to 5%.....
A man's got to feed the family. [LOL]

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/03/06 11:29 AM

Rear bumper picture bump!

I am looking forward to some pictures as soon as you have them.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 23/06/06 03:40 PM

Quote:
who's x is this?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/07/06 01:33 PM

That is my 05 OR. The pic is from the power lines in Hampton, NH.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 03/07/06 06:47 PM

sweet looking X!

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 06/07/06 02:30 PM

Anyones bumper not line up even. Mine is a little to the driverside. Its real close on the pass. headlight and has some distance between the Dr. light. I mean side to side. My up/ down is level... I do not know if I should contact Jim or just leave it. Its like the brackets were not 90 degrees to the frame. Thanks

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/07/06 09:51 AM

Mine was fine.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 07/07/06 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by offroadterra:
Anyones bumper not line up even. Mine is a little to the driverside. Its real close on the pass. headlight and has some distance between the Dr. light. I mean side to side. My up/ down is level... I do not know if I should contact Jim or just leave it. Its like the brackets were not 90 degrees to the frame. Thanks
Mine was off like you indicate. Spoke to Jim about it and he said they see that from time to time and probably is the alignment of the body to the frame.

I took my bumper off and on 3 times trying to get it more even with no luck initially.

To move the bumper out on the passenger side I bought some stainless steel washers and shimmed the bumper brackets out and that helped a bunch. I only used one washers on each front bolt mount on the passenger side and that did the trick. Everything cleared and looked better.

The 30mm long bolts supplied were too short so I purchased some 40mm bolts so I still had enough bite into the frame mount. You could also go with 35mm and they would work.

As to the fact the bumper sticks out more on the drivers side I think you would have to shim between the bumper and the brackets but I did not bother.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/07/06 11:52 AM

Jim If I order a bumper from you what is the wait time like until delivery?

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 08/07/06 12:03 PM

Build time on a 2005+ bumper is about 3-4 weeks right now.

Re: 2005 Xterra Front Bumper - 11/07/06 07:40 PM

srpage,
Thanks, I'll have to try that out. laugh