Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived!

Posted by: fastdrmr

Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 04/01/07 04:55 PM

It's here! After the long wait... all I can say is this stuff looks beautiful!

UPS delivered 3 of 6 boxes today, waiting for the other 3 to arrive and hopefully if the weather clears up (its been snowing pretty decently in SLC today) then I will install the kit over the weekend. I will be doing it at home since this kit is "bolt-on".

I will take pix along the way and prepare a write up to let others know what to expect.

Its Christmas again! Wooooo hooooo!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 04/01/07 05:15 PM

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 04/01/07 06:51 PM

Good for you, Rob, better see that beast at some of the BITD races this season laugh
Posted by: TK1

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 04/01/07 07:45 PM

And it only took 2 years to get here! wink Just kiddin man. [LOL]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 06/01/07 08:32 PM

Anyone else get their packages already? I spent the better part of the day on the rear end. Its done, and lots of little nuances that will help go faster for those to follow.

Will try to get the front done ASAP...

The rear looks tall, definately the full 5" and handsome at that.

Anyone else installing? Maybe did the front today?

smile

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 09/01/07 09:32 AM

No one has completed an install yet?

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 09/01/07 02:02 PM

Rear end is installed, working on the front right now. The rear is looking very nice... tall!!! 35s are now becoming an option... we'll see.

There are a few quirks that are different than the 1st Gen so I had to wait till this morning to have Calmini answer my questions.

I will be sure to post all the tips on the install.

So far, so good!

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 10/01/07 06:53 PM

This is gonna be killer!

I can't wait to see the pics....

[ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 15/01/07 07:29 PM

Did something go wrong with the install, or did the arctic blast get the best of you?

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 15/01/07 08:01 PM

This artic blast is killing me. I did not even try over the weekend, with temps literally ranging from 4 - 21 F.

I went out tonight for 45 minutes and nearly froze my toes off... it was 8F when I called it quits. No major issues to report, just temps are horrible!
Posted by: TK1

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 16/01/07 08:43 PM

Come on, it got up to like 24* today. Get to work! laugh
Posted by: w00dy

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 17/01/07 01:12 AM

Hey Bob,

It's -30 over here in Bonanza. Didn't know we had a Bonanza here in Utah now did you!!!.

20 Degrees F will seem like baumy weather when I get back to SLC.

laugh

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 19/01/07 07:10 AM

Still waiting on mine! They charged me weeks ago. Every time I call its " There was a problem with spring packs(they ran out) and we should ship within a week" Good Grief.... frown

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 19/01/07 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
This artic blast is killing me. I did not even try over the weekend, with temps literally ranging from 4 - 21 F.

I went out tonight for 45 minutes and nearly froze my toes off... it was 8F when I called it quits. No major issues to report, just temps are horrible!
I here ya there... if you beer freezes between sips its too damn cold to wrench.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 19/01/07 06:06 PM

Well, here's the update. Left to do: bleed brake lines, reinstall front / rear sway bars, install bump stops, install skid plates... deflate tires lots and lots and roll out of garage. Alignment on Monday.

I have lots of good tips, and feel very good about the install. The product is well designed and made, the skill level for the install is somewhat technical but not overwhelming. Given the temps I have had to work with I think I have done ok, but it has been almost 2 weeks. Total hours however have been about 15 hours with some of those being spent on trial and error - hence the emphasis on tips.

I will do a formal write up after I'm done and drive it.

Sorry its taken a while, its still cold out there... my toes, knees and booty can attest to that!
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 19/01/07 06:48 PM

Robert,

We've gone over this again and again.

Noboby else is interested in your booty. And I thought only my bosses spent time on their knees while 'negotiating' with developers. It's that position, or they grab their ankles to receive the latest proposal.

Yeah, I am bitter about the state of affairs here, but they'll pay 80% of my tuition costs for a masters degree. I guess that makes me a different kind of whore, but a whore non-the-less.

Hope to see you out in Moab this year if possible.

Todd

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 20/01/07 07:46 AM

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 20/01/07 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skaggs396:
X2.... less talk... more pictures.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 20/01/07 01:42 PM

C'mon slacker! Don't make me drive to SLC!

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 20/01/07 03:59 PM

So the X has been driven! It's tall and so far so good! The rear seems pretty stiff, in a good way.

I wanted to post pix after those threatening posts (that Tyler guy is a mean one!) but I left the USB cable at work. If I find another method I will post up.

Can you believe its snowing again! Its cold, and its going to continue to stay cold for another 10 days!

Recap from this morning: bled brakes, installed skid plates, did not install sway bars and bump stops... will wait till after alignment and oil change...

Sorry...

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 10:10 AM

LOL! It's all good, Robert, just giving ya some poop laugh

Glad it's good to go, even if it is cold as balls out there laugh
Posted by: TJ

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 10:19 AM

Quote:
did not install sway bars and bump stops... will wait till after alignment and oil change...

Sorry...
Might want to hold up on longer bumpstops until you see if you get stuffage rub...otherwise you will just be throwing away uptravel.

laugh

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 11:18 AM

I hear what you are saying, I never put the bumpstops on my 1st Gen.

I am worried about not having adequate testing time prior to using it as a daily. My concern stems from some components being pretty close to maxed out, not including the brake lines since they provide extensions. I'm worried about the electrical ABS line, hyper extending the drive line, rubbing exesively through dips / gutter, etc. The plan will be to carefully study those issues, but I need to install them for now. Its just too cold to do all the observations and all the good places are either frozen or snowed in.

I'm with you though on your thinking... timing.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 11:57 AM

Pics man, pics.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 01:35 PM

Found a cable... here you guys go! The install still needs to be aligned and the front stock skid plate is still missing.

Did I mention that its still cold!

Yes, it was a tight fit getting it out of the garage. Let the rear's down to 8psi.

More pix to come... you guys are impatient!!! wink

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 03:13 PM

Looking good!!!

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 03:34 PM

That's hawt, Robert! laugh
Posted by: spalind

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 05:41 PM

You need bigger tires....Looks good!! laugh
Posted by: TJ

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 06:15 PM

Odd, it doesn't LOOK 5" taller?

Did you measure before/after?

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 21/01/07 09:12 PM

It is definately 5" taller. Note the 2 bolts on the front shot - the camber bolts... that's the 5" right there.

I did not take before and afters because I had the 2.5" kit on. I will eventually take measurements with other club members' rides... its tall for sure.

The question for the night was... is it as tall as XterraRacers?

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 11:58 AM

Nice!!!

[ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 01:11 PM

Quote:
It is definately 5" taller. Note the 2 bolts on the front shot - the camber bolts... that's the 5" right there.

I did not take before and afters because I had the 2.5" kit on. I will eventually take measurements with other club members' rides... its tall for sure.

The question for the night was... is it as tall as XterraRacers?
Looks good man! Can't wait for the write up and future pics.

I wonder what it would look like with a shrock front.

Also looking forward to what other guys have got for outcome. I would definitely take the blue parts and paint them black.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 01:25 PM

Looks good. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 02:00 PM

Looks great! [ThumbsUp]

Quote:
Originally posted by cornick:
I would definitely take the blue parts and paint them black.[/QB]
Now why would you go do a thing like that? laugh

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
Looks great! [ThumbsUp]

Quote:
Originally posted by cornick:
I would definitely take the blue parts and paint them black.
Now why would you go do a thing like that? laugh [/QB]
Because yellow and blue or blue and yellow looks ghey! laugh
Posted by: JtaoJ

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 06:29 PM

yo bob, she looks mighty fine!!! can't wait to install mine now [Crybaby] gotta finish the wood trim project then i can start.

congrats, she looks great!

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 06:54 PM

Can someone chop a Shrock bumper on this?

tia

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 07:19 PM

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 22/01/07 08:13 PM

Hot Chop, Kev laugh

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 23/01/07 06:14 AM

Not a bad approach angle there.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 23/01/07 08:40 AM

Are you sure you've got that front bumper lined up correctly? It appears from my perspective that it's tilted down a bit. It's probably my poor vision though.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 23/01/07 11:03 AM

It is tilted down, but it's a photochop so it's not going to be a perfect job in that little time laugh

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 23/01/07 01:27 PM

Fooled me! Well, that's not too hard to do but still... [LOL]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 23/01/07 06:50 PM

That looks great man. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 24/01/07 06:28 AM

Mine is finally to be delivered today! smile I can post a picture of what a Shrock front bumper looks like next to the 5" lift sitting on the floor [LOL]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 26/01/07 10:13 AM

FWIW - I will probably not do a Shrocks bumper, I believe that the stock bumper will do everything that I will ever need. A Calmini bumper would be more appropriate on my X, if that day ever comes (ie, winch)

I am going to compile a list of tips for those that are going to do the install on their own. I ran into some newbie items that will help save time - I am willing to give you my cell number for evening calls. PM me if you have the kit and want that extra help.

By Monday I should have a good review of the install with some additional pictures. Again, very impressed with the tightness of the entire kit. The alignment was dead on, with some compliments from the old guys that have been doing alignments longer than I have been alive.

Thanks to Calmini for their great service and support. This kit is a true bolt on that is easily done in a garage with the help of another person. The cutting portion of the job is simple and straight forward, nothing to be intimidated about. I would give this install a 3 out of 5 wrenches in its difficulty. (00 - 04 3" installs being a 2, and the 05 spacer lift being a 1)

Happy kid here!!! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 07/02/07 09:58 AM

Quote:

I am going to compile a list of tips for those that are going to do the install on their own. I ran into some newbie items that will help save time - I am willing to give you my cell number for evening calls. PM me if you have the kit and want that extra help.

By Monday I should have a good review of the install with some additional pictures. Again, very impressed with the tightness of the entire kit. The alignment was dead on, with some compliments from the old guys that have been doing alignments longer than I have been alive.
Which monday were you talking about again? smile

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 08/02/07 06:25 AM

I have been swamped with the Parker425 race prep and being there that I failed to post a review.

I will try to get on it today.

For anyone installing the lift right now, feel free to PM me for my number. I am available to answer any after hours questions.

I will be posting tips on how to do certain tasks that were not fully explained in the instructions. These tips are simple mechanics, nothing fancy... just another level of detail to help you guys out.

Hang tight... life is just going too fast right now. smile

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 08/02/07 10:06 AM

There are 2 X's in Oregon that are planning on installing the calmini 5", but removing the spacer cans and using some radflows from PRG.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 08/02/07 12:05 PM

One of them already has the lift on, he's just waiting for the fronts to show up from PRG so that he can install them.

I'm the other guy. I'm waiting for the shocks from PRG (should show up next week) and the Calmini kit, which is supposed to be shipped in 3-5 weeks.

Fastdrmr, any words of wisdom you have to offer up would be great. I've been talking with the other guy. I think he's going to enlighten me as well.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 08/02/07 01:01 PM

Geez same guy different screenname. I am easily confused :p

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 08/02/07 02:39 PM

I know. I should make this username the same as my name on the other board. I'll look into that.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 09/02/07 06:52 AM

Were you able to knock down some of the cost of the calmini kit since you're not using the entire thing?

Pick and choose I guess.

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 09/02/07 02:38 PM

I tried my best. The only thing they would remove from the kit is the rear shocks for a $100 discount. I even tried to get them to ship me the stuff bare metal. But apparently they have a policy that nothing leaves the shop that isn't powdercoated blue....

Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen kit arrived! - 14/02/07 02:16 PM

it's too bad you don't have the option for powdercoating the parts black...blue is a little too much "fabtech" for me.