Skid Plates

Posted by: Shrock

Skid Plates - 26/03/05 02:47 PM

OK here is a chance to impact what products are available on the market. Want to get your thoughts on a couple things. This is in regards to underbody skid plates.

1.) How many of you would prefer to rattle can them your self and save $20 - $25 per plate ($80- $100 for a full set)

2.) For those of you who would prefer not to paint them yourself, would you rather a have them yellow zinc plated or black powder coated? Zinc plated skids could always be rattle can painted black for extra protection. Assume same price for now.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 03:00 PM

I've had bare plates and black powder coated plates, between the two, good powder coating worked better, bad powder coating sucked.

I have no experience with yellow zinc plating....could you describe the differences/advantages/disadvantages?

laugh

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 03:44 PM

Yellow zinc is the finish typically found on grade 8 bolts. It's zinc plating with a yellow chromate added for additional protection.

Here is a pic of a yellow zinc chain:

Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 03:57 PM

I'd take em un-painted..

They're only gonna get banged up anyways... wink
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 04:12 PM

I would go unpainted also. Rattle can is easy.

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 04:40 PM

Geez Jim, your a few days to late. I just put full skids on my truck, and I paint everthing blue or yellow. I would have liked to have them zinc plated first to help keep off the rust with all the salt here. I would definatly go for zinc plated,

Zinc plate the rear bumper when it comes out. It would make me happy!

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 05:04 PM

For a skid plate I would rather use a rattle can for easy touch ups.

As long as it would take to have 3/16" steel rust through, it's not really an issue for me.
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 06:36 PM

How'd you know I was thinking of skid plates next, Jim? laugh

I'd agree with others on either bare metal or zinc plated. I guess the latter.

Really appreciate you coming in here (and other forums, too) and getting opinions, answering questions and so forth. [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: Marmatt

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 07:05 PM

Jim,

As TJ says, if it's nice powdercoat, powdercoat would be adequate. The zinc coating would be VERY nice though. Assuming no price difference, I would go zinc over powdercoat.

Skids are my next addition, hopefully by the end of spring. Do you have a timeframe yet?

Look forward to hearing more.

-Matt

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 07:19 PM

Well my first instinct is to go with zinc plating. Then my ignorance got the best of me. I did some research, but I still have no clue if the zink will take the beatings that the skids can be given.

I guess my answer in short is, if the zinc can take the beatings then that would be my choice, if not I would go bare and worry about touching up and paiting myself.

I am in the market for a set of skids over the next month or so. I would definitly wait to check your line out if is going to be out in the next few months. Also if you do need a test dummy I would be willing.

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 07:44 PM

Jim- Yellow zinc sounds good. If I understand that coating correctly, it takes rattle can paint fairly well (so I could paint them blue to match the rest of the calmini stuff?). If yellow zinc can be painted over, then I'm all for it.

A chance to influence the market...hmm...can we talk you into making a mechanical locker for the Xterra? laugh Say the word and I'll start dialing the phone right now! [LOL]

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 08:02 PM

Quote:
so I could paint them blue to match the rest of the calmini stuff?
Yeah but there is an xtra fee for that. laugh

I've already made a great deal of progress on the skids. Just ironing out some details.
I'd say about four weeks we should be ready to start cranking them out.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Jim

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 08:09 PM

The zinc is a coating of metal, so it's very durable, but like anything elae, if it's dragged over a rock with 4000lbs of force on it, it's coming off. Rattle can touch up's are really the only solution to rocks.

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 08:32 PM

hehe well if you're gonna hunt me down and charge me for painting stuff blue...a LOT of us are in trouble laugh . Thanks for the reply...I'll take mine with yellow zinc please laugh

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 09:18 PM

Chalk up one more vote for Zinc plated...

Couple of questions:

Will this set of skids include a rear diff cover?

Will pieces be compatible with other skid plates; I.E. Skid Row Plates

Thanks!

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 09:58 PM

Timing and price is everything.....Hook me up !!! I Have been waiting for your skids to come out, I almost caved in and ordered the skid rows....

Zinc would be cool...but I would prob. get them bare...
Posted by: PoorBoy

Re: Skid Plates - 26/03/05 10:33 PM

Hey Jim, been loving the bumper.

I'd be interested in them if they're up to par with your other products! (which I'm sure they are). I'd just go with unpainted myself so save cost.

Re: Skid Plates - 27/03/05 09:22 AM

what are these skids going to be for? will one be like the ARB bumper skidplate that you make, only for your bumper? i am very interested in one of your bumpers and set of skids, but i need to pull some money together to get the steering kit first.

also another question for you, would it be possible to order a bumper with holes drilled differenly or somthing like that for a 2 or 3 inch bodylift? i dont have the ability to weld so if i could order a bumer that does not need the modification, that would be great.

Re: Skid Plates - 27/03/05 10:55 AM

(cat out of the bag laugh ) I sent out a prototype 2" body lift bumper to a customer last week. I expect it will work fine and they will be available within a week or so. It will require drilling 4 holes, but it's a straight bolt-on. No welding required which is the current case for all other bumpers.

The skid that goes on our bumper is already ready. That one is made of Stainless Steel, so types of coatings isnt really an issue for it. What we are talking about here is full underbody skid plates and a gas tank skid.

Re: Skid Plates - 27/03/05 11:38 AM

Jim, what price point are you aiming for?

and any discounts to existing customers? wink

Re: Skid Plates - 28/03/05 09:07 PM

for the skids of body lift bumper?

Re: Skid Plates - 28/03/05 09:31 PM

Quote:
for the skids or body lift bumper?
Skids!

How much, and realistically, when?

-Matt

Re: Skid Plates - 28/03/05 10:03 PM

Less $ than the current choices and 4-6 weeks.
Posted by: spalind

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 07:36 AM

Count me in as looking to buy a full set!!

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 07:37 AM

Nice! smile

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 07:43 AM

Count me in too. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

-Matt

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 10:02 AM

Will the bumper for the 2" body lift also work with an X with no body lift? Or are they specific for each pourpose? Wondering becasue I'm planning on getting a bumper within the next 6 months or so but a body lift is still a ways away (after susp. lift and after my current tires wear).

Thanks
tom

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 11:07 AM

>>Will this set of skids include a rear diff cover?

I hadnt planned on it, but if enough people want it, I'll make one.

>>Will pieces be compatible with other skid plates; I.E. Skid Row Plates

Good question. Our bumper skid works fine with the SR plates. I think you have to buy their front and mid plate together, so the only area of concern would be the rear plate and the gas tank one. I doubt the gas tank would be an issue, I'll see if I can find some pics of their rear plate, but we may have to wait until someone tries it to know for sure.

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tom church:
Will the bumper for the 2" body lift also work with an X with no body lift?
Thanks
tom
NO, you have to have the body lift installed to install the BL bumper or sliders.

Raising the std bumper can be done in a couple hours by a decent fabricator though, so I wouldnt sweat it too much. It really inst too difficult to do.

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 11:11 AM

wow...that was quick!! Thanks for the info!

Tom
Posted by: alliedacid

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 01:14 PM

a few ?'s regarding the rear bumper/tire carrier you are working on:

1. will it be sold as a modules:
i.e. a. bumper with or without tire carrier?
b. will without be upgradable?

2. will it be out before ECXC (www.ecxc.com)
if so, could you guy cart one up 4 me smile
(beers on me)

3. Pictures?

(if any of these have been asked before Flame on)

Side note.. I love the sliders, I have broken rocks with them. the quality of tthe welds is impresive. (remember Tread lightly) cool
Also it is great that you are seeking user input during your design and fab phase, very Six Sigma of you. (engineering joke)

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 01:58 PM

The rear bumper is slated for summer time. Nothing is really nailed down yet. I'm open to suggetions, but dont have much to offer in the way of hard info.

1.) this is a goal, that really all I can say at this point.

2.) If ECXC is in Sept, yes, if before that, maybe.

3.) No pics yet.

RE: Six Sigma, funny that big corporations need $$$ training and belts to learn that what the customer wants is kinda important huh. laugh

Glad to hear you like the sliders and that they found a good home where they can get the crap beat out of them. laugh
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 06:18 PM

I'd really like a modular bumper. My jury is still out on whether or not I want my spare hiding the majority of my back window. OTOH, if I decided that I wanted to move that direction, it'd be nice to have a "bolt on" or "add on" to integrate that feature later on.

Just my $0.02.

BTW, Jim, still getting lots of compliments on the hoopless bumper on my '02.
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: Skid Plates - 29/03/05 07:07 PM

Throwing my 2 cents in......The differential cover is my last remaining piece. The Zinc makes the most sense.

Rear bumper - really look at the hindge. A couple people in Utah used a hindge from a boiler door, it was very impressive. The other one that has appealed is a tapered bearing that I saw from Slee offroad.

I also would like to note that a slider should be included to protect the tire when coming off a large ledge. I saw a number of rear mounted tires get "torqued" when they dragged on a rock ledge. One option was a mini-stinger, or a removeable plate running from the receiver up to a lug nut. This would allow the unit to slide off a ledge without binding.

I think that there are a number of people with a htch that would love to remove it for a simple clean rear bumper with a receiver and a couple anchor points.

Have a great day and I think we all appreciate being asked.

Todd

Re: Skid Plates - 31/03/05 11:41 PM

SHROCK,(Jim?)

I purchased a set of your sliders, I went with the unpainted because of the price (I am getting killed on freight up here!!)

I like the way they were shipped oiled, no chance for rust to start, (you meant to do that right?)

Anyways I really screwed up the SHROCKWORKS stickers that were supposed to go on them after painting the Sliders. (DORK I am)

Can I get another set or purchase them?

Also do you offer a window sticker (large) that I can put on my winshield? if so, how much?

Re: Skid Plates - 01/04/05 05:28 AM

Hey,

I'll mail you some decals. We do have winshield banners. They are free if you promise to put it on your truck!

Email me your real name address please.

Jim

Re: Skid Plates - 01/04/05 11:55 AM

Jim,

I sent you an email with my address.

Thanks

Clif S.

Re: Skid Plates - 01/04/05 11:15 PM

Any pics available of teh skids yet?

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 04:12 AM

Not yet. It will be a few weeks.

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 04:26 AM

Jim,

Also waiting patiently for the rear bumper. My two cents also would be to have wings to replace the plastic on the sides, a rear tire carrier with space for a co2 tank, and zinc plated so I can paint is solar yellow and not worry so much when it gets scratched. Hell, I'll even drive 2000 mile to Texas so you can use mine as a prototype.

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 05:12 AM

Hey Scott - as long as you're driving 2000 to TX....tow mine with you and get a two fer. (You have to pass me on the way anyway...)

laugh

I'm thinking for the rear bumper, that replacing the rear plastic with steel would be a bulky PITA thing...

I think just having beefy tube wings that wrap the contour, so that it gives the roll onto that side some corner protection, tight enough on the leading edge so that the wings would not grab passers by, saplings, etc., would be perfect, not a fabrication nightmare or a huge weight penalty.

I see the corner protection as less to protect the plastic corners, and more to protect the truck's integrity on a lean over, rock squeeze, etc.

The XJ's would end up with broken side glass, ends pushed in so the hatches wouldn't open, torqued unibodies, etc...unless the rear bumpers came out far enough, and then, the bumper would hit first instead of something that crumpled. We have frames, but that just gives more to brace to...the body is still whackable.

laugh

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 05:15 AM

No problem. I'll stop by with my tow strap. Why not make it a road trip?

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 05:24 AM

When are we leaving?

laugh

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 06:16 AM

Call Jim and ask him when he is ready for us. I'll pack and be ready to go...work. oh yeah, work...well, call in sick for a week. Wait, I'm the boss; can I do that? [Freak]
Posted by: Lunchpail

Re: Skid Plates - 02/04/05 01:42 PM

Jim,

With as much brush as I go through a rattle can would still be fine for me but, I will take one however you make it.
I'm glad to see you came here to ask for input, says a-lot about you and your business!
I'll come see you again when I get off this deployment for more goodies!
-Jr

Re: Skid Plates - 03/04/05 07:48 PM

Jim,

Is the new rear bumper and tire carrier going to be able to hold jerry cans and a high lift jack?
will it also come with frame stiffeners?

And will it be adjustable for 2" and 3" body lifts?, or will we need to make brackets?

I am interested in your new rear bumper when it's ready.

Re: Skid Plates - 04/04/05 12:57 PM

Zinc plated is fine. Rear diff plate is great cool

Re: Skid Plates - 04/04/05 02:08 PM

I prefer the Zinc as well Jim.
Posted by: xterraintx

Re: Skid Plates - 04/04/05 02:26 PM

Jim, please advise when skids are done. I already have a rear diff, gas tank skid and your ARB skid. ALL are a must for riding here especially at Katemcy. I will buy any others you make as I really like your work as my sliders have really taken a beating with no problem but rust at the scratches(cause I'm lazy) smile

Re: Skid Plates - 04/04/05 04:14 PM

Who cares what they look like. No one will see them unless you flip.

Build 'em stout not pretty.

Re: Skid Plates - 07/04/05 07:29 AM

would be nice to make a plate to mate with the calmini skid, and work with the rest you make, so those of us that already have a calmini bumper can use them..

Re: Skid Plates - 08/05/05 06:25 PM

One month bump...

Any news Jim?

Still VERY interested!

-Matt

Re: Skid Plates - 11/05/05 08:25 AM

I spoke with Jim on monday...he said that they are finishing them up and should have a shipable product by the end of the month...no promises but he did say they "should"

the stickers are also in the works...he is waiting on the print shop....he was very eger to get them out to us...

rear bumper he said should be ready by the end of summer.
Posted by: marmillerX

Re: Skid Plates - 01/03/06 01:03 PM

Jim,

How much would the zinc coating be on a set of skids? I have the rear diff skid and gas tank from Calmini. It would be cool if everthing matched. Thanks

Re: Skid Plates - 09/03/06 02:40 PM

About $100.