SAS info

Posted by: Anonymous

SAS info - 22/03/07 02:35 PM

Im interested in putting a SAS kit on my X and had a couple of questions concerning this mod. First of all does anyone have pics of an xterra with a 3" lift compared to the SAS kit.
What tires can fit the SAS lift?
How much did the total cost of this mod cost for those who have done it? and any other information that you think will be helpful before i decide to do anything.

Thanks

Re: SAS info - 22/03/07 04:07 PM

The average tire size that I have seen is mostly 35in tires. I think the ballpark cost is in the $7-8k(american dollar) range but the price can easily go way up from there depending on what kind of parts you run etc... If you search there is alot of information on this site that is very helpful. If you go in the reviews section Carlton wrote a pretty good write-up on the installationprocess. Hope that helps

Re: SAS info - 22/03/07 06:19 PM

thanks, i just saw the review section and it was very helpful. I was also wondering if any other company manufactures a SAS kit?
I also wanted to know what skid plates i would be loosing because i have the full shrockworks plates under the truck.

Re: SAS info - 22/03/07 06:23 PM

calmini is the only company right now, I am going to go the custom route because it makes more sense for what I want to do. not too sure about the skids...

Re: SAS info - 22/03/07 06:48 PM

you'll lose all your skids except the gas tank skid. But the calmini kit comes with a engine transmission skid

Re: SAS info - 22/03/07 07:16 PM

anyone got a pic of a X with the SAS kit parked next to another one that doesnt have it or simply one standing straight. All i could find are pics of extreme flex.
Posted by: Silver Raider

Re: SAS info - 23/03/07 03:10 AM

Here is a couple shots for ya'
My SAS is the Calmini kit on 33"s

(Silver X has 3"SL+2"BL on 33"s)

This X belongs to Steve from VAXC. He has a custom SAS on 35"s built in Colorado.The yellow rig next to his has a 2"BL on 32" tires.

Re: SAS info - 23/03/07 06:22 AM

Steve has 37" SSR's, plus a lot more.

Re: SAS info - 23/03/07 09:59 AM

thanks alot for all the info

Re: SAS info - 23/03/07 12:18 PM

Only expect to clear 33's without a body lift if using the Calmini kit.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: SAS info - 23/03/07 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Only expect to clear 33's without a body lift if using the Calmini kit.
Yeah... the SAS is designed specifically for 33's.

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 11:10 AM

i thought people were able to clear 35" with the kit?

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 11:20 AM

they have bodylifts to make room for the tires to stuff up in the wheel well

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
i thought people were able to clear 35" with the kit?
I know you can if you keep your wheels stock or close to stock and have a sawzall/hammer party in the wheel wells. Other than that you are lookin at a body lift to pack 35s in.

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 06:01 PM

What about 36s?? I want to fit Iroks!!!! laugh So how big of a tire can I run if I go with a 2in BL compared to the 3in BL??

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
What about 36s?? I want to fit Iroks!!!! laugh So how big of a tire can I run if I go with a 2in BL compared to the 3in BL??
Don't push the SAS kit. Calmini blames the failures people have had (whether they are right to do so or not) on folks cranking up their suspensions too much trying to clear big tires.

It's designed for 33's. If you have a body lift you can go as high as 35 - but I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

Here's mine with 35" boggers (Calmini SAS plus 3" body lift):

ETA: they do rub a teeny bit even with all the trimming and stuff.

Re: SAS info - 24/03/07 07:53 PM

I think it is possible BUT...

NOW EVERYONE SEE BUT.....

I THINK you will need to redo the steering. New HD Drag Link, HD Tie Rod and A HD Track Bar. With the proper lengths.

Like they said the kit is built around 33s.

Re: SAS info - 25/03/07 04:39 PM

anyone ever done/seen a sas with leafs?

Re: SAS info - 25/03/07 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jpullen:
anyone ever done/seen a sas with leafs?
Lots of people have done it on older WD21 pathfinders, hardbody pickups etc. Desert Rat did it on a Frontier.

I don't know of any Xterras - but it could certainly be done.

Coil springs are better.... but leaf springs are cheaper.

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 07:04 PM

y is every doin a sas kit y not 4 link the front?

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shortbus00:
y is every doin a sas kit y not 4 link the front?
a) learn English.

b) because 4 links suck compared to radius arm setups
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 08:13 PM

Kaiser,
Are those the 35x10.5 on 15" stock X rim boggers?
Looks sweet.

How do they handle off-camber stuff? Tippy?
I was scared to run them because I thought they might not be wide enough. I ended up getting hooked up with a set of 35x12.5 MT/R's..

How do the boggers compare?
I might go with them when the MT/R's wear out or get destroyed.
They will be mounted on stock pathy 6 spoke alloys.
Any input would be appreciated. laugh

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 08:23 PM

From what I have seen. Boggers and MTRs are two totally different worlds. Boggers are great offroad tires. Prob one of the best you can go with. Only down side is they wear out like its freakin cool. I mean just driving these things from 4wheel parts to your house will cause noticeable wear. The rubber on them is extremely soft which means great things for rock, mud, sand, and the general offroad world but drive them a few hundred miles on road and its time to get a new set. But don't get me wrong they are bad a$$ tires, they just don't last long if you have to drive your rig to the trail. O and judging from the pics those aren't stock X rims.

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 09:03 PM

Quote:
judging from the pics those aren't stock X rims.
Ohh.. They looked like stock painted steelies.
They're probably AR-767s or something like that.

Thanks.
Just worried about the tread width, 10.5" vs. 12.5", on a 35" tire does it make a difference?

Re: SAS info - 27/03/07 09:24 PM

It prob would if you are going through mud and sand. It would also give you a bigger foot print on alot of stuff. The sidewalls on boggers is really stiff so airing down isn't going to give you much more of a foot print. I would like to go to 12.5 on a 15x10 rim so I can float a little easier on sand. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Re: SAS info - 28/03/07 05:22 AM

Yes, they're 35x10.5 - mounted on steel 3.5" offset wheels. A friend of mine bought them to use in mud bog competitions on his SAS'ed hardbody and he won everything he entered with them - and then he sold 'em to me cheeeap smile

I like the tall-but-skinny size.
The big lugs really grab onto stuff well. MT/Rs are great all around tires - but comparing them to an offroad-only bias ply tire is like comparing a running shoe to a soccer cleat [LOL]
These things kicked ass in the rocks.

I saw a review online where someone said they might slip sideways more easily than other tires on slick off camber stuff because the lugs can act like little skis... I haven't had a chance to verify or debunk that yet.

I wouldn't use them extensively on the road, though. They howl like crazy. Right now I'm still running my BFG MTs as "street" tires. I'll probably get a set of 33x12.5 BFG ATs at some point so I can really have separate onroad and offroad sets.

Re: SAS info - 28/03/07 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info.
Since my X is no longer a daily driver I'll probably go for those boggers next. smile
I read the same thing with the off-camber stuff and the boggers acting like skis.
I figured it was a soft enough compound that it should stick regardless.
Posted by: TJ

Re: SAS info - 28/03/07 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Thanks for the info.
Since my X is no longer a daily driver I'll probably go for those boggers next. smile
I read the same thing with the off-camber stuff and the boggers acting like skis.
I figured it was a soft enough compound that it should stick regardless.
No - not really, ...on the jeeps, we stopped trying Boggers on rocks, as the lateral stability sucked, and you just slid off sideways...and if locked, you crabbed off worse too.

They are unstoppable in mud though...nothing comes close to paddle wheels.

laugh

The MT/Rs are much better in rocks, but they are not really mud tires either...a BFG MT is a better mud tire than an MT/R....but I'd use the MT/R on rocks w/o hesitation...and its not helpless in mud or anything that bad....just not as good as a dedicated mud tire.

Re: SAS info - 28/03/07 08:18 AM

Quote:
The MT/Rs are much better in rocks, but they are not really mud tires either...a BFG MT is a better mud tire than an MT/R....but I'd use the MT/R on rocks w/o hesitation...and its not helpless in mud or anything that bad....just not as good as a dedicated mud tire.
Thanks TJ, but I dont want to get stuck in the BFG debate. LOL
I dont like BFG M/T's. And I HAVE run them on my truck, in the 32x11.5 variety. smile

The MT/Rs have been incredible, but WAY overpriced to replace with the same.
If I'm spending that much, I'd probably get the boggers.
Otherwise the Interco TrXus M/T's have been great to me, since I've had them in three different sizes (not all at once). laugh
And they are much more aggressive but still handle well on the street and much cheaper than the others. [drink]

Re: SAS info - 28/03/07 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Quote:
Thanks TJ, but I dont want to get stuck in the BFG debate. LOL
I dont like BFG M/T's. And I HAVE run them on my truck, in the 32x11.5 variety. smile

The MT/Rs have been incredible, but WAY overpriced to replace with the same.
If I'm spending that much, I'd probably get the boggers.
Otherwise the Interco TrXus M/T's have been great to me, since I've had them in three different sizes (not all at once). laugh
And they are much more aggressive but still handle well on the street and much cheaper than the others. [drink]
I am looking @ the Trxus MTs as well (for my pickup) but everywhere I call has an absurd number on backorder (think in the 90s at the 4WP warehouse in Compton, and at least 3 sets here in the Denver store) frown

Re: SAS info - 29/03/07 05:23 PM

I've heard mixed reviews on the TrXus... some love 'em.... some hate 'em.

I'm done with the BFG MTs, tho. Between a friend and I we've had two sidewalls shred offroad and two freeway speed blowouts with them.

Re: SAS info - 01/04/07 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
I've heard mixed reviews on the TrXus... some love 'em.... some hate 'em.

I'm done with the BFG MTs, tho. Between a friend and I we've had two sidewalls shred offroad and two freeway speed blowouts with them.
similar experience here.

Re: SAS info - 01/04/07 08:26 PM

I have the 33" Truxus STS's right now, they blow! Noisy and whatnot. Rubber may not be the same as the M/T's, but if they are, they blow and won't keep a balance to safe their life.

Boggers, wouldn't have a set, even if I were given them. Sideways traction will only improve if you sipe the massive paddles in a varied fashion to break up the skis into smaller paddles. Then they may be somewhat usefull. Almost lost a K5 to those bastard on Spring Creek, doing the first obstacle backwards (coming down) where ChefTyler did a spectacular burnout going up (and then lost a tie rod! laugh ).

I like the Xterrains, and would pony up again if I had the greenbacks to do so. But then again, I'll be shooting for 37's, if I can swing a good deal. I'll settle for 35's if I have to.

Re: SAS info - 02/04/07 10:54 AM

Yeah - mud tires on rocks...asking for it. laugh

I wish I could try some Krawlers...I think the smallest size is a 35 though....but they seem to be top drawer in the rocks.

Again, they look like they'd be bested in the mud by boggers, etc...but on rocks....they'd be in their element.

laugh

You guys looking at 35's...or 37's...Ever consider the Krawlers?

Re: SAS info - 02/04/07 11:10 AM

Quote:
You guys looking at 35's...or 37's...Ever consider the Krawlers?
I dont know about the Krawlers, but how about the Interco Iroks?
Those look sick for rockcrawling.

Even better but WAY overpriced..
Maxxis Creepy Crawlers laugh

Re: SAS info - 02/04/07 11:16 AM

:: cough :: Iroks :: cough :: they are great from what I have seen in both situations. Mud and rock. Or what little rock we have over here. But in crossing ruts, climbing hills and what not they seem unstopable.

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 07:30 AM

Another tire I was considering for play tires was the Interco LTB....

Its cheap compared to most other tires in that range, and the very few people I know of that do use them think they're the best off road tire they've run.

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 07:59 AM

LTBs run really small though. Even the 34x10.5 is barely a 33" tire.
Awesome tread and traction, but I've heard horror stories from street driving on them.
They are really cheap though..

I also hear from some local Jeepers that iroks are affordable too. wink

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 08:13 AM

Naw, not that small, the 34X10.5's are 33.6", the 33's are about 32.6 to 32.8" depending on SW, and the 31's are 31", etc.

So for about $125, you can get a 33x13.5/16 laugh

And they do suck big hairy moosecock on road...that's why I'd only get them as a play tire if I got them.

laugh

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 09:06 AM

The LTBs are an awesome offroad tire. They hook up reaaly well on just about everything. But the road ride leaves a bit to be desired. Coming back from Moab on I-70 at 70mph they sound like a prop engine airplane, I am not kidding they really do.

I have the Truxus MTs and I really like em this is my second set. They do need to be balanced every 5000 mi but if you get em in the right place or buy a life time balance you will be good to go.

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'll be shooting for 37's, if I can swing a good deal.
Damn Allen, had a buddy offer me 4 new 40" XTERRAINs for $1200 last week.. If I'dve only known.. I'd like to get them in a 33 for the '07, but I'll prolly go back to the Bridgestone Dueller MTs, of even the Firestone Destination MTs, both great dependable tires.
smile

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 05:57 PM

A friend of mine ran LTBs on the Arizona Run... they're great - and better on the road than my boggers [LOL]

Unfortunately, this pic is dominated by the BFGs at the back of the trailer.. but still an interesting comparison.

That's a set of 34x10.5" LTBs in the front, my 35x10.5" Boggers in the middle, and 33x12.5" BFG MTs in the back on blingy Jeep wheels

Re: SAS info - 03/04/07 06:10 PM

wow. Those boggers look skinny compared to the others.
That is the best way to make your offroad tires last. wink
Posted by: KCX

Re: SAS info - 04/04/07 01:36 PM

Is that an Calmini shackle on that trailer? [Too much XOC]

Re: SAS info - 04/04/07 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KCX:
Is that an Calmini shackle on that trailer? [Too much XOC]
Oh that's not the half of it.... that trailer is rocking Calmini shackles, bilstein shocks, and stock Xterra leaf packs all courtesy of my SAS leftovers laugh

Re: SAS info - 04/04/07 09:40 PM

what do you have on ur X to be able to fit 34" ltb's

Re: SAS info - 05/04/07 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
what do you have on ur X to be able to fit 34" ltb's
They'd probably work with a regular ole 3"SL+2 or 3"BL because they're stock width and they should tuck pretty well.

I've got a SAS plus 3"BL and some metal trimming to fit the 35's - and they still rub a little at full flex
Posted by: KCX

Re: SAS info - 05/04/07 07:16 PM

Dang Glenn, I forgot your friends name with the pathy, but he sure can be creative (your tire trailer)....looks like he added a rear carrier with gas tanks. cool

Re: SAS info - 05/04/07 07:45 PM

Quote:
looks like he added a rear carrier with gas tanks.
Queef, er, Keith is ingenious no doubt.. OBA, Welder, Rolling machine shop, cappucino machine, etc.. Hell of a wrench too [ThumbsUp]