Do You want an interior cage?

Posted by: Anonymous

Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 09:01 AM

If Your interested in a cage for the XTERRA or FRONTIER CALMINI would like to know.

I have been working with CALMINI (Dave Kampa) to get the D21 (Hardbody) cage released. Allot of You have seen it in there SAS truck at Moab etc over the years. I want one for My truck. People have expressed interest in a Frontier version. So CALMINI asked Me to see if Xterra/Frontier owners would buy such a product.

Please email Me your name, email and vehicle information. I will send the information to CALMINI after I get a few more names. Just trying to gauge interest in a WD22/D22 version of this cage. No guarantees at this time. No price yet.

The cage will be very similar to the D21 cage already in the works.

People speak up if want them to build an Xterra version.

This is the link to the D21 fully welded, boltin cage. You supply the paint and padding.

http://nissannut.com/CALMINI_cage/

This front cage 2 seat part will be the first phase. Second phase will cover rear seats etc.

email me at nissannut@nissannut.com [Wave]
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 09:20 AM

Might be better to have this in the Manufacturer Row section?

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 09:27 AM

Message sent. [Wave]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I was not sure if it is OK to put there. Since the rules stated to communicate to vendors. I am not related to CALMINI in anyway. Just trying to spread interest.

Its OK with me if You want to move it though.
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 11:55 AM

Actually it belongs here. Don't let Brent fool you he is nobody.

The Manufacturer Forum is for communication with the vendors. You have already done that and are asking around here for member participation.

This forum is for advanced wheeling and an interior cage is certainly that. You posted correctly.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 02:44 PM

Quote:
i understand your policing newbies and beating on people for asking stupid repetative questions...

...but please dont piss on people for trying to help out the xterra offroad community. he is not a vendor and getting anyone that would want to help us to get more mods is far and few between. try not to fuck that up.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 04:16 PM

It is fine where it is.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 04:29 PM

Thanks Guys. CALMINI just recieved my list of 16 people that would like a cage.

I will update this thread and a few others with new information as needed. All I really need is email and vehicle information.

Dave (CALMINI) wants to email everyone with information as needed.
Posted by: DesertHB

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 06:55 PM

Tell Dave that I want one too.

Doug

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Tell Dave that I want one too.

Doug
Thanks. Your number 19.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 08:15 PM

Hmmm- Roll Cage - Sounds interesting. Did they give you any idea of how much this would go for? Chaulk me up as an interested party...

RX

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer Xterra:
Hmmm- Roll Cage - Sounds interesting. Did they give you any idea of how much this would go for? Chaulk me up as an interested party...

RX
They have not decided on a price yet. You can see the D21 version was listed at $349 from the ad in a magazine.

I need Your name and address. Please email it to Me, nissannut@comcast.net

Dave will email everyone directly with updates.

Thanks,

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 31/07/06 09:57 PM

Sent along an e-mail as well. Thanks for the effort.
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 05:28 AM

Has anyone seen their Hardbody and if they tied the cage to the frame? While this cage is certainly better than nothing... in a hard roll the cage can punch through the floor if it isn't tied to the frame. Someone should ask Calmini if they might offer a kit to tie the cage to the frame as well.
Posted by: Steel_City_X

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 10:02 AM

I would like some additional level of security.

How would different years change the design? I have a 000.

I saw how the cab in a slow rollover was impacted, let alone something more significant.

It could be a pain for those with large feet, but given it is not a DD, I could manage.

Todd

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
Has anyone seen their Hardbody and if they tied the cage to the frame? While this cage is certainly better than nothing... in a hard roll the cage can punch through the floor if it isn't tied to the frame. Someone should ask Calmini if they might offer a kit to tie the cage to the frame as well.
I can not speek for there truck since I did not look underneath. But I have installed body lifts on Nissans from 1970 to 2004 models. All Nissans have the mounting points (floor) reinforced where it sits on the frame mount. The mounts are at the corners of the floor pan. PERFECT for cages. The cage bar sits right on top of these. I really like that design.

I will ask though. wink

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steel_City_X:
I would like some additional level of security.

How would different years change the design? I have a 000.

Todd
Thats a good question. I have the same question on the Hardbodies cage. The dash changed in 94+. I have a 93 same dash as the CALMINI truck. But 94 will need to be tested to see if there is clearance issues. I have a friend with a 94 pathy I plan to test fit it in for CALMINI.

The same would need to be done on the Xterra models. I assume there is dash changes over the years?
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 02:32 PM

You might be right they made it to line up with the body mounts. They say it comes with backing plates which generally means these are under the floor and the cage bolts through the floor to them to help prevent the cage from tearing away from the sheetmetal floor. Maybe the backing plates are designed to be part of the body mounts? Just ask them to take a few pics for everyone.

Again a cage with backing plates is still better than no cage and your local fabricator could tie the cage to the frame for you for added peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by NISSANNUT:
Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
[b]Has anyone seen their Hardbody and if they tied the cage to the frame? While this cage is certainly better than nothing... in a hard roll the cage can punch through the floor if it isn't tied to the frame. Someone should ask Calmini if they might offer a kit to tie the cage to the frame as well.
I can not speek for there truck since I did not look underneath. But I have installed body lifts on Nissans from 1970 to 2004 models. All Nissans have the mounting points (floor) reinforced where it sits on the frame mount. The mounts are at the corners of the floor pan. PERFECT for cages. The cage bar sits right on top of these. I really like that design.

I will ask though. wink [/b]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 01/08/06 02:40 PM

The illustration threw me.

It looks like there is a lower platform in the picture. I kept looking in the photos for the parts that connected the legs together.

Finally I realized that the lines are in fact shadows from the cage...... :rolleyes:

The Xterra rear roof bar could move back a little which would be great for tall people and provide the placement of a rear barrier between floor ant cage to keep dogs out of the front seats. Those with dogs will understand.

Todd
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 04/08/06 10:28 AM

Just got off the phone with Calmini, and they added my name to the list. Forgot to ask how many people were on it so far.

I think it's a great idea, but I'm worried about how much interior room it will take up and how hard it will be for us taller and bigger drivers to get in and out.

Love the idea on putting up a barrier or net so the dogs can stay out of the front seats. [ThumbsUp]

Thanks for putting this together. [drink]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 04/08/06 11:51 AM

I would like to know how close the drivers side front post is to the front of the door opening. I climbed in PhoeniX and found the doorway exist tight. From the picture in the thread, I think the Calmini frame has a "dogleg' to swing the frame forward. I like the leg room that is shown.

I would ask about issues with a bodylift? The issue with tying the cage to the frame is greater. I do not have the BL, but am considering it in the future.

NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMIN
I would be willing to drive mine out to California and leave it there for Calmini to use for testing if they need a 000 to play with. I'd catch a flight back to colorado, return to Bakersfeild when complete. smile Just really would like to get this installed.
NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMINI, NOTE TO CALMIN

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 04/08/06 12:26 PM

I offered a few weeks back Todd wink Looks like Steve's yellow SAS might be the first one. I've been a proponent of this for a long while now.
(yes, for obvious reasons [Finger] ..)

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 04/08/06 12:58 PM

Dan, I think you need a full exo-cage more than this based on your recent videos. wink [Wave]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 23/08/06 09:14 AM

Any update on this?
Are there enough people interested for Calmini to start designing, fabrication, testing, etc??

Thanks for starting this, hopefully it will work out. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 23/08/06 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Any update on this?
Are there enough people interested for Calmini to start designing, fabrication, testing, etc??

I think they have heard loud and clear that we want cages. With a few big projects on their plate to finish along with two big shows coming up in a few months, I would look to the end of the year or the begining of next before anything starts to happen.
That being said. Keep letting them know that you want it.

-Doug

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 23/08/06 11:49 AM

The last I heard its a go with the W/D21 kit and the W/D22 kit. The W/D21 will be first.

I edited the first post. My email and website is changing to Nissan Nut.com wink

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 23/08/06 12:51 PM

cool beans..

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/06 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
Quote:
[b]Might be better to have this in the Manufacturer Row section?
.....beating on people....stupid repetative....dont piss on people....fuck....[/b]
I see nothing wrong with Brents post.

If anything, your post is the one picking a fight.

No more hijack necessary.

Back on topic....

An interior cage doesn't interest me, but an exterior one might.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/06 06:11 PM

Quote:
Any update on this?

Ken is this your next Mod?

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/06 06:19 PM

Quote:
I dont know what you are talking about. laugh

I always wanted a cage for the truck after seeing what they look like even after a light roll. Of course I was always partial to an exo though.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/06 06:31 PM

The update I got from CALMINI was plan to start shipping the W/D21 version end of September. The the W/D22 version is in the plans to be made. Those who submitted there emails addresses should get updates from CALMINI.

Thanks people it appears both interior cages will be made.

I may do a removable cab only EXO one day. I want a full time interior cage, just in case. [Freak]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 29/08/06 05:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know what you are talking about. laugh

I always wanted a cage for the truck after seeing what they look like even after a light roll. Of course I was always partial to an exo though.
Check these guys out. They do a bunch of custom work on 4x4's in the Northeast.

http://www.bandittoffroad.com/

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 18/11/06 02:24 PM

I am digging this up to see if there is more current information.

SEMA is over, so I hope something is happening.

Todd

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 18/11/06 06:08 PM

Calmini stated they got back from SEMA and on working on the cage for the W/D21. wink

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 19/11/06 12:15 PM

Quote:
Calmini stated they got back from SEMA and on working on the cage for the W/D21. wink
God help the person that rolls over with a CALMINI cage..

Will it be blue too? :rolleyes:

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 19/11/06 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
[b]Calmini stated they got back from SEMA and on working on the cage for the W/D21. wink
God help the person that rolls over with a CALMINI cage..

Will it be blue too? :rolleyes: [/b]
Jason,

We get that you don't like Calmini. It's getting a little old. [Freak]

-Doug

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 19/11/06 04:22 PM

The cage will be shipped fully welded but unpainted. You can paint it any color you want.

[Wave]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 19/11/06 07:25 PM

Any estimate on price and shipping yet? laugh
Posted by: spalind

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 20/11/06 08:14 AM

Quote:
The cage will be shipped fully welded but unpainted. You can paint it any color you want.

[Wave]
Sweet...hope this is soon...

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 20/11/06 08:28 AM

Quote:
Any estimate on price and shipping yet? laugh
The W/D21 cage should be what they posted in the magazine ads.

CALMINI did say the W/D22 version price has not been decided yet.

I have no idea what they charge for shipping. But it will be a "knock down kit". You have to bolt it together.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 21/11/06 01:08 PM

Quote:

[Wave]
Cool

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 22/11/06 03:53 PM

I am definately interested in calmini's set up but I might look into having a cage professionaly installed a shop. Any thoughts on if this route would be a better idea?

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 22/11/06 05:43 PM

The only bad thing about a custom one off. Is you will have to cover or strip the interior. They will need to tack it up in the cab.

This cage is a pure bolt in.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 22/11/06 06:37 PM

With the calmini one do you bolt it into the frame at all? I suppose you wouldnt know that but its worth a shot.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 22/11/06 08:31 PM

Thats been covered alreayd in this thread. The cage bolts right over/near the frame mounts.The the frame is extended all the way to the edge of the floor pan.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 06/02/07 06:10 PM

Update?

What if anything is happening? I've got plenty other things to do on the Xterra, but thought I would ask.

Todd

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 06/02/07 06:41 PM

The last I heard was the master (template/jig??) is done.

I'll send another email.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 08/02/07 12:50 PM

i would be interested in purchasing 1 ....... add me to the list..

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 08/02/07 01:26 PM

Here is the latest....

Unfortunately, production on many other items has become priority as
they are our staple systems. This is not to say that we will not offer the
cage, simply that I will not have an ETA until later this year. With Moab
only 7 weeks away, our main focus will be this event.
I know that there is some interest in this particular item and we
will be addressing the need for this product. As we have time to complete
this project I will let you know. Again, I am sorry that this could not be
completed sooner.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 09/02/07 01:15 PM

Quote:
Here is the latest....

With Moab only 7 weeks away, our main focus will be this
And thats EJS (Easter Jeep Safari)... just for clarification. Had me worried about goneMOAB for a second. wink

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 09/02/07 08:28 PM

It looks like I'll be going locally for a cage to be bent up and welded in. (I havent decided interior or Exo yet)

That sucks about them not giving it a high priority, but chances are they have a ton of people wanting the 05+ Xterra 5" suspension lift.
So we are shit outta luck for a while.

Thanks for putting this together.
If I find a good (cheap) local guy that would be interested, I'll post up.
I highly doubt it will be $349 or less, but there is obviously a pretty good demand for it so we'll see.
[ThumbsUp]

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 11/02/07 01:22 PM

Add me to the list of people who want one wink

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 11/02/07 08:01 PM

Is there any interest in a "weld/bolt-on" partial or even full exo-cage, that can be welded solid as well?

I think that would probably be easier to design and build than the interior cage.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 12/02/07 08:11 AM

Quote:
Is there any interest in a "weld/bolt-on" partial or even full exo-cage, that can be welded solid as well?

I think that would probably be easier to design and build than the interior cage.
I know you can count Alpine Spirit in laugh

Me, probably depending on the lines and cost

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 12/02/07 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]Is there any interest in a "weld/bolt-on" partial or even full exo-cage, that can be welded solid as well?

I know you can count Alpine Spirit in laugh

Me, probably depending on the lines and cost[/b]
laugh

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 12/02/07 12:51 PM

depending on future plans here I would possibly be interested

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 12/02/07 10:18 PM

in all honesty.. I would rather have an exo. Prevents body damage and other types of damage from landing on your side. Now would it be possible to do an Exo if you are like me and have rockcrawlers sliders, ARB bumper, and one day have a Shrock rear. I doubt it unless you custom fab something. Which I do hope to do in the future. So yea I would like an Exo but it would be hard to Market if you had to have all Calmini products to make it work.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 27/08/07 09:30 AM

Was there ever any update from Calmini after their moab trip??

I am torn between an Exo and an internal cage.
The exo seems to be more practical, but if Calmini came up for a "bolt-in" internal cage, It would be just easier to buy it and have it welded in and reinforced.

Any ideas?!!

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 27/08/07 10:20 PM

The seats on my rig (internal cage) had to be lowered in order to have a safe amount of headroom.

With an exocage the tubes get all bent/dented on tree's etc. This is good for the paint, however when it comes time to count on it during a roll how much strength is left. There are trade offs with both.

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/07 06:07 AM

Quote:
Was there ever any update from Calmini after their moab trip??

I asked Calmini yesterday for an update. This is what I got.

"The HB cage was shelved for now. We have too many large scale
projects that must be completed."

Re: Do You want an interior cage? - 28/08/07 06:58 AM

Quote:
I asked Calmini yesterday for an update. This is what I got.

"The HB cage was shelved for now. We have too many large scale
projects that must be completed."
Alrighty..
Thanks for the update even though it wasnt what we were looking for. frown
I'll start talking with my fabricator about some solutions.
Thanks.