Calmini Problem

Posted by: xyellow

Calmini Problem - 30/06/09 10:53 PM

I ordered a SAS kit in Febuary from calmini and still haven't got anything and everytime i call, they seem to know nothing about an ETA or when it will even start in production. When i first ordered it, they said 3-4 weeks and they've told me that about 5 times and yesterday the guy simply didn't know what to say but seems like maybe another couple of months. I was wondering if you guys have had the same problem and even if you have another solution for a SAS because im about to cancel the whole things. I've been reading about the all-pro kit getting fitted to the xterra but wasn't really clear. Any info or help? thanks
Posted by: onewaysolider

Re: Calmini Problem - 30/06/09 11:42 PM

Sorry you're having troubles with the Calmini dude. Yeah, I did the all-pro kit and put a write up together on the old XOC Forum. (Thanks Carlton for getting back online).

Here's the content from my writeup. I'm pretty sure the link to the old XOC stuff is dead but you might be able to find it by digging though all the stuff on the site.

Oh PS, as a foreword, I've been running my version of the All-Pro 3 Link SAS and I'm loving it! After 10K on the setup everything is working out well. But, the steering system will eventually develop issues if you do the same thing I did for it. It will develop some slop due to later-roll-out (I think that's the right term). I've got a fix for it but don't have the $$$ to fix it just yet.

Oh yeah, and if you're looking for someone to do the work for you :-) Let me know.

Here's the write up.

Special thanks to Alpine Spirit, SteeevO, TJ, Xtoolbox, NissanNut, Jake (at Calmini), StrikeDistance (SCCX), Powerguy38 for their feedback, questions, & suggestions. In addition to answering my questions you guys challenged my thinking and helped me address potential issues.

My recommendation... If you're a good welder, decent fabricator, have a brain to figure out geometry, and have a lot time to work with then I recommend taking a look at a 3 link kit similar to the one I built compared to the Calmini kit.

To install this same kit I recommend you install a 2" BL & having your new wheels and tires ready to go. It helps a lot when fitting & fabricating everything.
Going SOA (Spring Over Axel) is also a good idea if you're doing this SAS. There's a few good writeup on XOC on how to do this

My Total Cost was around $4500

If you learn from my mistakes you can do it for a lot less. Here's what it would have cost if I were to do it all again.
Basic cost: $3400
D44 - $150
SAS Kit - $1200
Steering - $300
Shocks & Springs - $700
Brakes - $300
Gears - $250
DS - $150
Lifetime Firestone alignment - $350

This last weekend I went and did some trail testing in Big Bear, CA on the John Bull trail. Supposedly the toughest trail up in Big Bear. Lots of rocks and lots of crawling. Did the trail in about an hour and a half with no issues whatsoever. I did get stuck behind a line of 30 Jeeps but they were kind enough to let me pass in the middle of the trail. the X got a lot of woots, compliments, thumbs ups, 2nd looks, and the like from most every group I encountered this weekend.

Here are my observations from trail testing this past weekend...

The X has a lot of flex and can easily scale 2'+ boulders and flex out. For most of the day all 4 wheels on the gound because of how much flex there is now.

SAS related issues...
The T-case cross member I built needs to be reworked a bit to better fit the front DS.
The control arm on the passenger side needs to come in about a 1/2" to allow the truck to turn all the way to the passenger side.
Passenger side coil-over setup seems soft compared to the driver side. It was easy to bottom out the passenger side. Need to do some testing to figure out if it's the springs or the shock.

SOA related issues...
The rear frame mount for the passenger leaf spring needs to be pushed back about a 1/2" to level out the ride height.

35's related issues...
The big tires are great off-road. 4.9 gears are not enough to comfortable crawl on 35's with a manual transmission. There were too many times I had to gas and feather it to get the wheels moving up and over a rock. I need to figure out if T-case gears will be enough or if I need to regear the front and rear. If I decide to regear the rear I'll just put another rear axel under it with and scrap the H233B Nissan rear end.
Starting to think the clutch disk may be wearing out. I wasn't getting as much friction as I wanted.

General maintenance issues accelerated by the SAS...
Leaking gear oil from the front diff on the driver's side. Need to replace inner seal.
Transmission leaking fluid from bell housing. Need to replace front seal.

Non issues that I thought I thought might be issues...
Chevy MC is working out great. Lots more breaking power. Able to hold the truck still on steep rocks. Able to stop quickly... well... sorta quickly.
Grassroots front DS adapter works great. Granted, I had to wait 4.5 months for it. But it's definitely the best and most cost efficient rout to go.
3 link SAS is amazing!!! I've got so much flex. No binding, stuffing, drooping, or driving issues. All welds and brackets have been examined and appear to be holding up great.
Custom steering system is holding up great. Very strong.
Custom exhaust system is working out great.

If you're considering going this route read this next section on parts you'll need to buy & installation...

*** You'll need the space of a 2" BL to make this kit work. ***

Here is my parts suggestions if you're looking to do this.
SAS Kits
All Pro kit - Universal (Taco) SAS kit - It will be less than $1349
*DIY - welding to the axle and frame rails
http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tacomasas
*Do not get the shock towers. Ask for the shock hoops.
*Do not get the engine cross member - doesn't fit
*Do not get the upper link housing bracket - you'll need to fab this one yourself
*Do not get the lower shock mounts - don't fit

Front Coil-Over shocks
ORW - Off Road Warehouse
Fox 2.0" x 10" Travel Emulsion 980-99-025-A 10.0 EMULSION $235.00
*best prices at Off Road Warehouse. Call for better pricing. I got 10% more off.
*Call Off-Road Warehouse for better pricing than the visible online pricing.
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/97

Wheels - this is up to you to decide on what you want to use.
* 3.75 BS on 15's was a far as I could go for the D44 front end I used. a 4" BS would have been to much.

Springs
ORW - Off Road Warehouse
Eibach
Top Spring - 0800.250.0350 8.00" Length 2.5" ID 350 LBS
Bottom Spring - 1200.250.0300 12.00" Length 2.5" ID 300 LBS
*eSHOCKS.com, Off Road Warehouse, & Calmini have almost the same pricing on Eibach springs - $65.00 each
*Off-Road Warehouse has best prices for call-in orders.

Shock tabs
You'll need a couple of these because the ones in the All-Pro Kit don't work. Look at my photos for details
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/paired-bracket-curved-p-97.html

Driveshaft
Grassroots - CV shaft conversion for use with an XJ front Driveshaft - $120
http://grassroots4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=7&category_id=4&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
*XJ front Driveshafts can be found on e-bay, craigslist, & ecology for about $25 - $40
*XJ front Driveshafts are very easy to replace because they are very inexpensive due to the volume that's available on the market
*XJ front Driveshafts may need to be shortened to fit the Xterra SAS configuration.
*How to notes - http://nissannut.com/projects/Driveshaft/

Front Brakes
Brake Master Cyliner from a 77 chevy truck. Here's the two thread's I found on the Ronin Wheeler's site where a guy sorta did a write up on his MC swap.
*You'll need to use a bastard file to open up the mounting holes about an 1/8" on each side. The push pin will also need to be ground down a bit.
http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2681
http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbullet...?t=1137&page=6
Brake Lines - www.summitracing.com - http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000350
EAR-63010124ERL -3 ST./ST. 24" HOSE $12.88 2ea $25.76
EAR-989545ERL BRAKE ADAPTER -3 TO 10MM F I.F $4.99 2ea $9.98
EAR-997631ERL BANJO -3 TO 10MM $7.39 2ea $14.78

Steering
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000268#000000
Auto Zone - DIY - Awesome
1) ES2027L - Pitman arm end of draglink (REQUIRES REAMING TO FIT)
2) ES2026R - Tierod end of draglink
3) ES2234R - Driver end of tierod
4) ES2233L - Passenger end of tierod (has a hole in it that the 2026R fits into (ETA - required lots of reaming to fit))
Weld-in Thread Bungs - I'm trying to find the information on where I bought mine. I'll update this eventually.

Gears - My recommendations (other here may disagree with me)
4.89 gears for 31's - 33's
5.13 gears on 35's +

Manual Locking hubs for Dana 44
* 19 spline for Wagoneers 74-91
* Check e-bay, criag's list, & Buy/Sell areas for best pricing
Superwinch - SWI400518
Warn - 20990

H233B - Rear
HG46 - 2000-2001 is the H233B axle with 4.636:1 gearing (33 spline axles). Typically comes with an R200 front axle
HG49 - found in mid year 2001+ Frontiers and Xterras. H233B / R200 combo with 4.90:1 gears.
* Up to 5.143 gearing can be had for H233B's. AC is now the only companies offering gears. Supposedly the gears AC provides were originally designed for the 10mm bolt for the 31 spline H233B used on the Nissan HB and has them machined out to 12mm to fit the carriers for the 33 spline H233B used on the 2000 - 2004 Xterras. Gear from AC cost about $1000 un-installed.

Exhaust - DIY during the build or pay someone to do it for you afterwards.

** Make sure your 2" BL is installed before you begin.

Instructions - easily 100+ man hours involved
1. Read every thread in this section... It took me over a month but it was worth it.
2. Find and buy a doner Axel - you'll know what you're looking for if you followed point #1
3. Buy all your parts
4. Clean up the axel and grind off all old parts.
5. Send off a pitman arm & tie-rod end to get reemed.
6. Install the Chevy Master Cylinder. Your brakes will be amazing!
7. Weld up the two lower control arm mounts to the axel - figure it out. don't weld the mount for the 3rd link or lower shock tabs yet
8. Gut the IFS entirely down to the frame - including driverside percayt & post cayt.
9. Fit Axle under the gutted X
10. Fit & tack shock hoops
11. Fit & tack lower shock tabs
12. Install shocks w/o springs - leave the shock fully compressed for fitting & fabing the control arms
13. Fit & tack lower control arm mounts that weld to the frame
14. Fab, Fit, & Tack 3rd link bracket to the Front Diff - difficult - make sure it fits fully stuffed
15. Fab up new T-case crossmember that goes over front DS
16. Fab, fit, & tack Pan hard bar and brackets
17. Measure, Cut, Fab, Fit, & Test front DS.
18. Fab & Fit new exhaust system to clear Front DS and 3rd link
19. Test everything at full compression, full droop, PS droop w/ PS stuffed, DS droop w/ PS stuffed
10. Make all necessary adjustments & repeat steps 9 thru 19 until everything work right.
20. Weld it all up properly
21. Install Brake lines
22. Install new brakes
23. Install Manual locking hubs
24. Bleed & test braking system
25. Install coil onto shocks
* At this point I'd suggest going SOA with your rear end. You'll have more fab work to do bit it's well worth it. This kit gets you about 8-10" of lift. The rear will need the SOA or some seriously arched springs to match the front.
26. Road testing begins
27. Install gears - you'll need to wait on the front gears until after all fab work is complete if you want to get a warrenty on them.
28. Trail testing begins
30. Become fully satisfied with your work. :-)

My other writeup and questions related to this build.
- http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000341;p=1
- http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000350
- http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000343
-

Pictures - I'll put some photos together of the whole build and post them up here soon.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Calmini Problem - 01/07/09 06:31 AM

I think Calmini has written off the Nissan community and from the sounds of your dealings with them are acting more like SLR in the customer service dept.

Too bad.
Posted by: Casper

Re: Calmini Problem - 01/07/09 11:44 AM

Wow, I am kinda surprised at this. I just went back and checked my bank statement. I ordered mine on 3-3-09 (well, I think it may have been a few days before, but close enough) and had my kit within 3 weeks.

While installing I came across three problems. When I called them they were extremely helpfull and got me pointed in the right direction. BTW, all three problems ended up being installer error (sometimes I can be dumb). In all the years I have ordered from them and called them I have never had a problem with customer service.

Casper

P.S. I just had an SYE ordered though a local shop from them as well. It arrived within 4 days.

Re: Calmini Problem - 02/07/09 11:19 AM

thanks alot ONEWAYSOLIDER, amazing write up on your SAS. That doesnt make sense how Casper got his in three weeks!! my plan was to have it installed to i can enjoy it during the summer and do some trails, but seems like i might have to wait till next year. Its not only the SAS, my friend ordered a 5" lift for his 2006 xterra in April and when we asked them on monday they also didnt have a clue when it would be delivered. Im goin to call calmini and speak to a manager on monday because it just doesnt make sense how you take and order, tell someone its gonna take 3-4 weeks and now don't even know what to say anymore when i call them. Honestly not impressed with the service. If they would have told me at the begining that it was going to take a year to make i would have been fine with the wait as long as their honest and not yank me around telling me different stories everytime i call. Anyways thanks again Onewaysolider for the write up and thats most probably what will be done, any chance you'll be coming to Montreal, Canada soon?!?!
Posted by: onewaysolider

Re: Calmini Problem - 03/07/09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: xyellow
any chance you'll be coming to Montreal, Canada soon?!?!

lol, no immediate plans for Canada at this point, but I'll keep you posted.

Oh yeah, and when you call Calmini ask to speak with Jake. He was super helpful and was really able to make sure I was ordering the right parts when I talked with him last.
Posted by: brad77

Re: Calmini Problem - 05/07/09 02:20 PM

I can't help you much, but I can say that I feel your pain. It took me six months to get the heavy duty steering system from them. I went through the same deal. Called every two to three weeks, and got the "it'll be two weeks" treatment.

I've had a replacement spring pack on order for over a year. I've pretty much given up on that one. No one has any idea on the ETA. It's as if their customer service/sales department isn't allowed to talk to their production people.

Good luck!
Posted by: Desert Rat

Re: Calmini Problem - 06/07/09 06:11 PM

Well, I like to help people out, so I checked on this on your behalf. Straight from Calmini:

Quote:
We have 2 kits on backorder and production is well under way

1 is going to a wholesaler in Canada – order was placed on 4/28/09

1 is going to All Phase – Order placed 5/1/09

The rear leaf springs are on back order right now from their suppliers. There hasn't been much demand.

I'm calling the original story bullshit. There is no backorder from February. If you would like assistance from Calmini, I'd suggest actually contacting them and ordering the kit. I've seen several on the trail and save for a couple little things, it's a solidly built kit, and there's no easier way to SAS your Xterra.

Re: Calmini Problem - 13/07/09 11:04 AM

I would have to agree with the above post.

Just ordered a SAS kit for a friends X last Thursday. Was told they had two on backorder, and that it would hopefully be 2 to 3 weeks, but could be longer.

Seems like a pretty staight forward answer to me.

Casper

Re: Calmini Problem - 23/07/09 03:41 PM

first of all, i did order one and im the one from the canadian wholesaler. Its just stupid to hear the guy on the phone say "yeh no problem 3-4 weeks till you get it" and now were almost in august. Casper im willing to bet any amount that theres no way you are going to get it in 2-3 weeks. Thats what the guys keep saying on the phone but really have to clue whats going on. Seeing the date you posted the message casper, its been about a month that you ordered it. I bet if you call now, they will tell you 3-4 weeks. Its just weird for someone to have no clue whats going on their own company. At least if they would have told me it take 1 year to finish the kit, thats fine but dont bullshit me every other week.

Re: Calmini Problem - 24/07/09 07:03 PM

The kit was ordered the day after I made that post. That was July 13th. It's now the 24th. Thats 11 days. They also told me it "should be 2 to 3 weeks, BUT could take longer."
I will wait and see. I do know how you feel, I just have never had that problem with Calmini.

Casper

Re: Calmini Problem - 07/08/09 04:34 PM

Figured I would update this. Last Monday, August 3rd I received the full Calmini kit. By my accounts that is 22 days. That would be 3 weeks and 1 day. No problems with the order, everything is there.

Seems like they are doing exactly as they said.

Good luck with your "order". I would suggest that if you contact them and be polite and calm you will get farther then if you start ripping on them.

Casper.

P.S. Helps if you order it in the first place.

P.P.S. In case anyone wants to check my order, it was ordered through Offroad Innovations of Reno. PM me if you want the order number to check and see if what I say is true. We (Nissan owners) have way too few dealers for parts out there to be bad mouthing a company... If you have a problem with a company, call them and be respectable and polite to them and I would bet your problem will be solved far more quickly. Don't just bad mouth them because it's "the cool thing"

Now, flame on, I can take it.

Re: Calmini Problem - 08/08/09 08:32 AM

i really did order it, im the one that was ordered from the canadian dealer. I cant believe that you got yours first and that you got it in 22 days. i will call them to see what going on but most probably will be canceling the order if they say another month.
Posted by: Cyclemut

Re: Calmini Problem - 08/08/09 11:42 AM

I know Steve personally, and I can tell you guys that sugar will get you further than vinegar.

Nissan is not his money maker, at all. He's still producing Nissan parts because he does like the brand. He also owns and runs a very profitable Jeep brand (Full Traction) that dwarfs Nissan like Jack and the beanstalk! Not to mention the Suzuki guys that spend dough, Isuzu guys that don't mind dropping a couple of bucks. Compared to the Nissan group that occasionally spends money, the rest make his paycheck, Nissan doesn't.

Now, that is not to say that if you order something, that you should not expect to be treated with respect and get your order withing a stated time frame. But right now, welders are hard to keep in California, and the economy isn't making anything easier. Steve is feeling the pressure just like every other company out there.

There isn't another SAS kit out there unless you go custom. And unless you can weld, fab and build axles yourself, it's really expensive.

Call 'em up, but I'd reccomend being nice and they'll recognize that.

I like Steve, he's a friend. I can understand both sides, business is business after all, when I spend my money with him, I expect the same thing as everyone else. I don't get treated any different than anyone else either. When I finally got my parts, I ended up with an extremely badass rig, in no small part because of Calmini. They're worth the wait, they really are!

Re: Calmini Problem - 08/08/09 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: xyellow
i really did order it, im the one that was ordered from the canadian dealer. I cant believe that you got yours first and that you got it in 22 days. i will call them to see what going on but most probably will be canceling the order if they say another month.

Since you ordered it through a dealer, is it possible there is a problems between the dealer and Calmini? Just a thought. Maybe they haven't payed a bill with them or something? Just grabbing at straws. I would say call them, ask if there is a problem with the dealer, maybe see if you can just order it yourself (that is how I ordered my first kit)

As stated many times, be nice. I know it is hard when you have been waiting as long as you have, but it will work FAR better. Good luck.

Casper

Re: Calmini Problem - 10/08/09 12:04 PM

i just called them and i honestly take everything back that i said. It was probably a misunderstanding between me, my dealer and calmini. Calmini really does have a great service and the salesman on the phone was great by informing me exactly whats going on. In the end, they do have it in stock but simply missing the rear end spring. All in all, ive been with Calmini parts since i got my first lift and it truly is worth the wait because there is no better. Hopefully ill be posting the pics of the lift soon
Posted by: Cyclemut

Re: Calmini Problem - 10/08/09 12:18 PM

Excellent! Glad everything was straightened out. You'll enjoy it.

Re: Calmini Problem - 10/08/09 08:58 PM

Glad to here it. And yes, you will truly enjoy this kit. If you have any issues installing it give me a call, I would be glad to offer assistance.

Casper