4x2 Off-road

Posted by: DNAGRL

4x2 Off-road - 25/03/03 03:46 PM

How well does the 4x2 off-road? I really couldn't afford the 4x4 so I got as much SUV as I could for the money I had. I am worried that my Xterra won't get me where I want to go.

DNA GRL laugh
Posted by: electrobuzz

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 25/03/03 04:00 PM

Well, in NoCal you really dont need 4x4, but you will probably get pumpkin envy, regardless. If you want to get out in the country, you can definitely do that.

But the 4x2 is not like the 4x4 offroad, that's for sure. New topic, any input, folks? wink [Too much XOC]
Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 25/03/03 06:23 PM

get some good tires and join up with an xterra club in your area. i'm sure there are many 4x2's that go with clubs.
you may not be able to do everything a 4x4 can, but you can still have fun. there are times where i'll take my xterra out of 4x4 while offroading to see if there's a difference. yes of course, it makes a difference between making over particular areas, but it doesn't mean you have to stay on the street smile . just remember that you have a 2wd and be realistic about certain obstacles.
and get rock sliders and underbody armor. with or without 4wd you will have instances where you'll need them.
oh yeah, and welcome to the club.
Posted by: Todrick

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 25/03/03 11:55 PM

this has histroicly been a touchy subject on XOC... however i am pleased with my 4x2... it does what i need it to for the most part(yeah i've been stuck, thats why you go on hard stuff with 4x4's around smile )

if you want an uninhibited answer... from fellow 4x2 owners... check this out
Posted by: XOC

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 12:49 AM

Nice link laugh

Are you the only member ?

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 01:11 AM

nope... didnt even start the group... i rarely go there, but i do appreciate the fact that it exists...

havent you seen the other 10-15 times ive posted the link?
Posted by: ecfiffer

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 05:39 AM

i too would have to agree, i have a 2wd and love it to death. yes i wish i had the money for a 4wd but hey, that can come further down the line. but for now like the others have said dont drive over your head and do your best not to do anything alone. go out with some one else that has 4wd and you should still have just as much fun.
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 07:47 AM

I love my 4x2 also, I feel I could go anywhere with this thing (to certain extremes, of course)...but how does the X 4x2's handle in the Sand...I like to visit the beaches this summer....
Posted by: rb42

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 08:41 AM

I haven't done much off-roading, besides the country roads around here and the thick black clay muck... the stock tires sure load up with that stuff in a hurry... makes driving in it kinda scary.

You've still got pretty much the same clearance as the 4x4's do I think... and i think it's still a pretty capable truck. The guards and sliders are a must for big rocks though..

I didn't want the extra complexity, maintenance, expense, or mileage hits, so I went with an SC 4x2 myself. (Ha! sounds like I'm a hypocrite, but the SC was a requirement for me... i meant extra expense OVER the SC) I was thinking if i go serious with 4x4, I'll tow a dune buggy or offroad vehicle behind my X, cause it's also my daily driver.
Posted by: GrnXnham

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
I love my 4x2 also, I feel I could go anywhere with this thing (to certain extremes, of course)...but how does the X 4x2's handle in the Sand...I like to visit the beaches this summer....
You'll do fine in wet sand but the fluffy dry stuff will get you stuck real quick in 2WD. I have found it to be tough going in 4WD in the dry stuff. Stay where the sand is wet and compacted or prepare to do a lot of digging!

Dave
Posted by: TrialsX

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 05:12 PM

Quote:
xoc
posted 03-26-2003 01:49 AM

Nice link

Are you the only member ?
Ouch... [Spit]

I have been able to do a fair amount of stuff with my X in 2WD. More than I thought really. I am sure my BFG muds and the lift help out quite a bit for grip and clearance. Like everyone said, sure 4x4 is better off road, but looks like there are some 4x2's out there that can still have fun, and that's all that counts.

And, even with my 4x4, I get stuck too. It's just part of it. It's ALWAYS a good idea to wheel with others.

Enjoy,

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 07:11 PM

Thanks for the advise, I know the 2WD X's do good on off-road (as long as it's not too rough) cause, my job consists of going to pre-constructed job sites, where you got all kinds of terrain, and also going to uncharted land, for surveying purposes, and my X does well, but I'll just play it by ear at the Sand Dunes...Thanks Again..

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 08:13 PM

Ignorance is bliss...

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 26/03/03 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrialsX:
I have been able to do a fair amount of stuff with my X in 2WD. More than I thought really...
...Like everyone said, sure 4x4 is better off road, but looks like there are some 4x2's out there that can still have fun, and that's all that counts.

And, even with my 4x4, I get stuck too. It's just part of it.
laugh Hey I like this guy [Wave]
Posted by: ivorykid

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/03/03 02:22 PM

I really like my 2WD. I was surprised at how well the 4x2 handles off road. If the ground is hard-packed, no problems at all. Over large rocks you have to be careful, but still not too much of a problem.

On a recent trip to Anza-Borrego State Park with SCCX, I was able to make it through 2 fairly deep (2~2.5 feet) water crossings and up the first rock garden squeeze on the way to Sheep Canyon. After that, I parked and hitched a ride in a 4x4. You just have to use your judgement. The next day, we cruised around Ocotillo Wells OHV area - lots of sand. Made it up Devil's Backbone... eventually. I began to lose traction and dig myself a hole, but was eventually able to work myself all the way up--unassisted. I was VERY impressed at that one. There was only one instance where I had to back down to avoid a stuck.

Overall, the 4x2 X is very capable off the pavement. Sure, it's not going to get you EVERYWHERE, but you'd be surprised how far you can go before you have to park and ride (or go back).

I got a 4x2 for financial reasons (like most people here) - specifically, insurance. It was going to cost me ~$500 MORE every 6 months. For now, I'm more than happy with my 2WD.

Ivory Kid wink

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/03/03 02:30 PM

I was reading somewhere, that the Xterra 4x2 models were designed so it can withstand all kinds of terrain...and then having A 4x4 is a real plus....but I'll just have fun with it...
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/03/03 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Ignorance is bliss...
Is that why, in every pic of you I've ever seen, you have the biggest fucking shit-eating grin?

I wish I could be that blissful . . . laugh

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/03/03 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ivorykid:
On a recent trip to Anza-Borrego State Park with SCCX,

ask some of SCCX about my trip to ANZA... I did get stuck... and subsequent Wasp Sting smile

I got a 4x2 for financial reasons (like most people here) - specifically, insurance. It was going to cost me ~$500 MORE every 6 months.
every time this debate has came up the argument of "it only costs 2k more" comes up, i have mentioned the jump in insurance several times... but no one believes me, I guess its just me and you... wink actually maybe its only a SoCal thing... i know in CO they dont sell 4x2's, thats probably true in other areas as well... so that would explain some of the people not knowing this fact...

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/03/03 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
[b]Ignorance is bliss...
Is that why, in every pic of you I've ever seen, you have the biggest fucking shit-eating grin?

I wish I could be that blissful . . . laugh [/b]
[Spit]
Posted by: syn33

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/03/03 11:55 AM

the only advice i can really give you is, just take thing slow.

i try to go too fast one time on dirt track and it fish tail like a Biacth. laugh scared me shitless eek [Uh Oh !] , but it was fun. [LOL]
Posted by: imacsae

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/03/03 04:09 PM

Well there is one 4x2 owner in the local club who is quite proud.

Posted by: LAXterra

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/03/03 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Quote:
Originally posted by ivorykid:
[b]I got a 4x2 for financial reasons (like most people here) - specifically, insurance. It was going to cost me ~$500 MORE every 6 months.
every time this debate has came up the argument of "it only costs 2k more" comes up, i have mentioned the jump in insurance several times... but no one believes me, I guess its just me and you... wink actually maybe its only a SoCal thing... i know in CO they dont sell 4x2's, thats probably true in other areas as well... so that would explain some of the people not knowing this fact...[/b]
Actually it is a age thing... smile if you are in your late 30's and early 40's... you own a home(with owners and fire insurance)... have a good driving record... multi vehicle discount etc... and lump it all with one insurance company... it is less then $50 more every 6 months for 4WD. laugh
Posted by: Mike Velazquez

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/03/03 08:46 PM

Like others said you just got to use your Head :p The first upgrade will help out alot for your dirt FUN!! BFG AT/KO's and If you can go with some Bilstein shocks you will love the OffRoad ride and feel no pain laugh 4X2's ROCK!!!! [Wave]
Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/03/03 11:34 PM

i don't know if the original poster is even looking at this anymore, but like others said, use your head and go with other people to be safe.
get some new tires, sliders and underbody armor and you'll be set for most offroad trails a newbie would go on.
unless you want to take on the rubicon you can have alot of fun with a 2wd.
Posted by: DNAGRL

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 31/03/03 11:43 AM

I am still reading the posts every day. Since I've spent all my money on the 4x2 I have, I'll have to chose wisely about what I buy next. Most people seem to agree that better tires are very beneficial so I'll start there. I'll just go on trails I can handle for now. Looking forward to Northern CA group's next expedition (and my first)!

Thanks for all the feedback!

DNA GRL
Posted by: Mike Velazquez

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 31/03/03 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DNAGRL:
I'll just go on trails I can handle for now. Looking forward to Northern CA group's next expedition (and my first)
Have FUN!!!!! laugh [Wave]
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/05/03 09:50 PM

DNAgirl,
NCCX is going to Hollister this weekend. Feel free to join us.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 12/06/03 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Getty-up-go:
Expense is totally involved in a 4x4; parts wear thin with age, extra physical maintence, etc. Already have two, don't need a third.

Gotta admit, love the 4x4 option in the 99 3/4 ton chevy - only have that because of the size of camper it carries. Never had to use it, yet - but it doesn't go where the 4x2 Rodeo goes.

Not all "off-roading" is classified as boulders/rocks - there's much more too see, do and experience besides trying to add a dent or major expense to the wallet. And I am from Colorado - 2 SUV's, both go the same places - but, only 1 is a 4x4. smile [Wave] [Too much XOC]
Good Point Getty-up-go...I use my X to carry my sports stuff and Bikes and get me where I want to go, on pavement or off-road and my 4x2 X, does just that with no problem...I'll leave the extreme off-road "boulder/rock climbing, add a dent to your X" to those who like that sort of fun and could afford it...I am still paying for it, don't need no extra expense to the wallet.... smile
Posted by: Shockinxterra

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 13/06/03 12:31 AM

Hey ya'll. Just like most of you, I wanted a 4x4 as well. But since I'm not the one making the payments, I was left with little choice. Since I'm only 18, a brand new 4x4 with full coverage(a must have for any new car)my parents would have spent an arm and a leg for insurance. My parents are paying about 300 a month for my car alone!! So, I'll just sit tight and have as much fun as I can with my 4x2. Not many places down here to climb, execpt the levy, so we mainly just mud. Haven't gotten stuck yet. And if I do, well then that's what friends are for. smile
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 13/06/03 06:40 AM

4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth. The insurance difference for a 2WD version of my Xterra would be less than $1 per month.
As far as payments, assuming about $100/month for every $5000 financed over 5 years, the extra cost of 4WD is <$50/month in payments.

Bummer you got stuck with a 2WD over that.
Brent

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 13/06/03 01:43 PM

I guess another reason that they didn't get me a 4x4 is cause they knew I would offroad. lol. I went offroading in my previous truck and the engine sucked up a bunch of mud. [Freak] But anyway I'll the best with what I have

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 14/06/03 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth. The insurance difference for a 2WD version of my Xterra would be less than $1 per month.
As far as payments, assuming about $100/month for every $5000 financed over 5 years, the extra cost of 4WD is <$50/month in payments.

Bummer you got stuck with a 2WD over that.
Brent
well brent now that your proved your not only arrogant, but also ignorant let me fill you in.

it may be a myth... for you. I know for me the difference was around $300 a year... making it about $25/mo... add that to your $50/mo, in payment increase.

so in the time i have owned my X i would have paid $3,075 more than i have already.

In addition I would have damaged several more parts I'm sure(but thats more based on what i would do with a 4x4)

I don't know about you but in 3 years I have saved a nice chunk of change and have a vehicle I'm happy with
Posted by: DocNo

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 15/06/03 12:37 AM

Quote:
4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth.
Gee, I thought the purpose of insurance was to replace or fix things that get broken or stolen.

That means the insurance company has to spend $$$. So if you have something that costs more $$$ to begin with, the insurance company is going to want to get more $$$.

I know there was a price difference for 4x4 for my insurance, as others have reported. For the SC too (gee, what a suprise - it cost more to begin with!)

Perhaps your insurance company was screwing you to begin with and that's why they didn't feel compelled to charge you more [Huh?]
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 16/06/03 07:57 AM

I called my insurance agent last year to inquire how much cheaper it would be if I had a 2WD, the difference was under $1. If your insurance is different, so be it.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 16/06/03 11:50 AM

OK, you all say that 4x4 isn't much more. But consider this, I'm only 18. Insurance rates are way higher for me. For my age group, getting a 4x4 is like getting a sports coupe.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 16/06/03 03:47 PM

Quote:
I called my insurance agent last year to inquire how much cheaper it would be if I had a 2WD, the difference was under $1. If your insurance is different, so be it.
thats cool... like i said before when this came up, it maybe a CA thing, the reason as it was explained to me was "Risk". People who drive 4x4's are more likely to seriously damage their vehicles
Posted by: airbutchie

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 18/06/03 01:59 PM

Definately a Cali thang... I talked to my auto insurance company (Prudential), and they said that if I had a 4x4 instead of a 4x2, my premium would jump another $220 for six months... Total of $440 a year ...

But I'm more than happy with my 4x2... Everything I need, nothing I don't!!!!

- Air B
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 18/06/03 03:02 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you but in 3 years I have saved a nice chunk of change and have a vehicle I'm happy with.[/QB]
The end of the comment above is the bottom line for this entire discussion - being happy with what you're driving. People who are compelled to belittle other peoples' choices will need a lot more than a 4x4 truck to fix their real problem.
Posted by: krisjon

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 18/06/03 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
The end of the comment above is the bottom line for this entire discussion - being happy with what you're driving. People who are compelled to belittle other peoples' choices will need a lot more than a 4x4 truck to fix their real problem.
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 18/06/03 05:10 PM

Quote:
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.

It just seems that every time someone does ask the question they get chastised. I can understand being proud of something you own, but I didn't think 4x2 bashing someone's ride was something you beat your chest over. But then again, I'm still the "FNG" so what do I know?!

laugh

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 19/06/03 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.[/QUOTE]

You're right, but the puzzler is why don't people just say what you said in a respectful way as opposed to thrashing around pointing out the "error" of 4x2 buyers' ways (in their not-so-humble opinion). There are some on this board who are so indignant about the "anything but a 4x4 is a waste" thing that it's pretty clear their issues go way beyond how much farther into the mud they can go. [Freak]

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 19/06/03 07:21 AM

I happen to be a proud owner of an SE 4x2 and have absolutely no complaints. I have taken it on some pretty nasty trails in Germany, snow and ice cover mountains of Austria, and sandy beaches in Spain. I bought a 4x2 to lower the cost, lower the MPG, and thought it might go a little faster on the autobahn. My initial thoughts were right. I have never been in a situation where I needed a 4x4. However, I didn't buy it to climb Everest or deep mud fording. If you wanted a vehicle to do these things, you should have bought a 4x4. Can't afford one? Than maybe you shouldn't be 4 wheelin'!
Posted by: Vaca

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 19/06/03 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Romad:
Can't afford one? Than maybe you shouldn't be 4 wheelin'!
Wouldn't you be two-wheelin' in that case? laugh

My 4x4 scares me anyway, but I feel cool having a shifter, so it was worth it to me. My $0.03 here is that the bottom line is being happy with your vehicle.

I just don't PERSONALLY understand why someone would get a 2wd SUV. If I wanted an inexpensive car, or one with cheap insurance, I'd get something else. My last car cost less than half as much on gas as my X.

I do not subscribe to the believe that SUVs are minivan replacements, therefore I don't understand why someone would get a 2wd model under the guise of having kids, pets, or groceries to cart around and not have enough cash to support the 4wd model. Likewise, SUVs aren't pickup trucks meant to do serious hauling, so their proper usage lies somewhere inbetween. Minivans with the soul of Paul Bunyon or something. [Laughing]

I'm rambling. More power to you if you have a 2wd model--you'd probably clown me anyway. laugh

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 19/06/03 09:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vaca:
[QB]I just don't PERSONALLY understand why someone would get a 2wd SUV. If I wanted an inexpensive car, or one with cheap insurance, I'd get something else. My last car cost less than half as much on gas as my X.

I do not subscribe to the believe that SUVs are minivan replacements, therefore I don't understand why someone would get a 2wd model under the guise of having kids, pets, or groceries to cart around and not have enough cash to support the 4wd model. Likewise, SUVs aren't pickup trucks meant to do serious hauling, so their proper usage lies somewhere inbetween. Minivans with the soul of Paul Bunyon or something. [Laughing]

Have you ever tried hauling a 3K boat with a car or minivan? Don't quite need the guzzling of a fullsize truck - not all the time, though I own a 99 3/4 4x4 Chevy as well as 2 SUV's, both paid for and well paid for themselves several times over. Granted my SUV's don't have the gas mileage cars do, but are much better then I've read some other SUV's are. And they do come in handy, even the 4x2, on several occasions in regards to pulling the boat out of small docks where the big truck/camper can't quite fit.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 20/06/03 01:25 AM

Wouldn't you be two-wheelin' in that case?

In my opinion, to each his own. But it would not be two wheelin' if I have 4 tires on the ground! wink
I agree that SUV's aren't made for serious hauling but they get the job done and they do it well. They also CAN be a replacement for minivans depending on what you buy it for. Lot's of people don't like the look of a minivan and prefer the rugged look of an SUV. Why would I spend the money on something I may never use? Just because I can say "yeah I have 4 wheel drive, don't you see my shifter!" It's not worth the cash and I didn't buy the vehicle to impress my peers. Granted it's not the most economically sound vehicle but in my opinion it may be the most ergonomically sound for my needs.
Again, to each his/her own. laugh
Posted by: FANOF5

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/06/03 05:25 PM

i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city, and i do not have the $$$$$$ to spend when i ding up my X off roading with the 4x4ers. don't get me wrong, if i had alot of $$$$$$ to spend i would have bought a 4x4.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/06/03 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FANOF5:
i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city
So why not buy a mini van with more room, better safety, better mileage, better handling, better performance, better everything ?

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/06/03 10:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by FANOF5:
[b]i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city
So why not buy a mini van with more room, better safety, better mileage, better handling, better performance, better everything ?[/b]
...Cause he wanted an Xterra...This is America, you can get whatever the Fuck you want, man....

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 28/06/03 10:36 PM

Are you two buddies now ?

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 07:15 AM

Quote:
Are you two buddies now ?
....Good come back!!!

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 11:13 AM

I thought all of us were buddies here...

[Finger]

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 01:36 PM

There seems to be so much animosity between the 4x2 owners and 4x4 owners, why? Didn't we all purchase the X because, the bottom line, WE LIKE IT?
Not all X owners plan on off roading, at least I don't. Is the X only good for that? I don't think so. I had a 4x4 a few years ago, living in Northwestern Pennsylvania, lots' of snow. Did I need the 4 wheel drive capability? Hardly. Managed just fine without it. So why have 4x4 if you don't need it? I bought my X because the reliability of my two previous Nissans, and because I love the X, the way it looks and the way it handles, and plenty of room for my camping stuff.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2old4genX:
There seems to be so much animosity between the 4x2 owners and 4x4 owners, why? Didn't we all purchase the X because, the bottom line, WE LIKE IT?
Not all X owners plan on off roading, at least I don't. Is the X only good for that? I don't think so. I had a 4x4 a few years ago, living in Northwestern Pennsylvania, lots' of snow. Did I need the 4 wheel drive capability? Hardly. Managed just fine without it. So why have 4x4 if you don't need it? I bought my X because the reliability of my two previous Nissans, and because I love the X, the way it looks and the way it handles, and plenty of room for my camping stuff.
Most of the people here had a really bad relationship with a 4x2 that left them emotionally scarred. They just haven't gotten over it yet. I've suggested counseling, but it didn't help. If you're looking for love, you're definitely not going to find it here. [Finger] laugh

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 02:08 PM

Thanks ELFTERRA, I needed a good laugh!! [Laughing]

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 07:45 PM

just like very other thread on this forum, you always get some dickhead old timer who just HAS to say something smart about everything. you learn to ignore it and move on.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 07:53 PM

i am 26, my wife is 23, and my son is 2 1/2. we are too young for a mini van IMO. i have always liked the X since it came out, and i was finally able to afford one, thats why i bought one...... no offense to any mini van owners. one day i might own one. laugh laugh
Posted by: darcon

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 09:22 PM

Quote:
Most of the people here had a really bad relationship with a 4x2 that left them emotionally scarred. They just haven't gotten over it yet. I've suggested counseling, but it didn't help. If you're looking for love, you're definitely not going to find it here.
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Sounds kind of like a "penis envy" kind of thing... remember it's not the length or width... it's how you use it! laugh

Honestly, I am starting to get very sick of every thread on this site going the way of the 4X2 vs. the 4X4. This is insane... other than the tranny, guess what kids... it's the same damn vehicle!

I didn't go the 4X4 route becuase of the gas mileage issue, and you guys with the 4X4 SCs, you have my deepest sympathies... I have a lead foot, along with the jack rabbit takeoff syndrome, so my gas mileage sucks bad enough with the 4X2... didn't need the additional insult when I went to the gas pumps...

Also, I have noticed that a lot of folks here have started to not list under their usernames whether or not they have a 4X4 or 4X2... what gives here, are you not proud of your X's? I drive a 4X2 and am damn proud of it... I don't pay extra at the pumps for the 4X4, nor extra for insurance (it's not a myth...), and evidently, don't suffer from the "penis envy" associated by some (note that I don't say "all")with not driving a 4X4...

remember guys it's not a size issue, it's how you use it! [Spit]

now for those of you who feel the need to make a smart ass comment to this, [Save the fine unicorns]
Posted by: Xorand

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 09:22 PM

Warning, long post! This is a collection of random thoughts, primarily on this topic.

I'll admit the primary reason I bought my X is because I think they look cool as heck. To that, I don't think there are many here who would disagree, or we'd all probably be on some other board extolling the virtues of our other desired brand of truck.

I obviously did not buy it for the gas mileage. That's a pretty well worn subject on here, so I'll leave it at that.

I did buy it because, even in 4x2 form, it has superb ground clearance and pretty good approach and departure angles. I did intend, when I purchased the X, to take it off-road some, but realize that with only two driven wheels, there would be many limitations.

For example, living in Alabama, our clay-based soil dries pretty quickly to a fairly firm, if not rock-hard, consistency. Once it rains good, though, look out. When they were building our house, I drove into what is now my back yard with my old F-150 (4x2) and immediately sunk it to the diff in mud. Lots of rocking and wheelspin eventually got it out, but lesson learned.

A similar lesson was learned in the same F-150 when I was doing a turnaround in some loose sand and immediately dug down in about six inches in and got stuck on LEVEL ground. Second lesson learned. (Funny side note - I dug myself out of that situation with a plastic oil funnel!)

Now I'll admit, I love looking at the pictures of the 4x4 guys climbing over rock strewn paths, plowing through foot deep mud and two foot deep water holes, climbing steep inclines, balancing on rutted surfaces with one wheel hanging freely in the air.

I'll also be the first to admit that my 4x2 would be hopelessly stuck in all of those situations. There is simply the sheer physics of turning (most of the time) all four wheels with power that makes those applications possible for a 4x4 and improbable with a 4x2.

Sure, I could probably take my 4x2 and clamber up a muddy incline, but only by utilizing momentum and sheer luck (and terribly damaging the trail in the process, and possibly bits of undercarriage).

On the other hand, there is a certain challenge of taking my 4x2 and finding it's limits, in the same manner that others with 4x4's attempt to find the limits of their vehicles and/or the modifications to their vehicles.

I'll never pretend that I could ever keep up with any 4x4 vehicle in particularly rough terrain for which only the 4x4 vehicle should be traversing.

By the same token, I'll never try to be a wannabee by throwing good money at items intended more for a 4x4 rig, such as lifting my rig, throwing on 31" or 32" mud tires all around and so forth. (I have, admittedly, considered having an air locker installed, since the factory LSD fairly sucks).

Anyways, bottom line is that some folks buy a 4x2 Xterra solely on looks. Others on room (if you look at some of the other similar sized SUV's on the market, they either have a much smaller cargo area, less rear seat room, or both).

Many buy a 4x4 Xterra to go off-road, and I applaud those that do. Get out there and get 'em dirty - you're getting the most bang for the buck, in my opionion. On the other hand, I wonder how many mall cruisers are running around with a front diff idly wasting away.

A final note. I took my X in last week to get a faulty power window switch assembly replaced (and my diff fluid changed). While waiting for my wife to pick me up, I browsed the lot and looked at the new '03 X's. Out of about a dozen X's on the lot, one (1) of them was a 4x4.

That's somewhat of a sad commentary in and of itself. On the other hand, that means there will be eleven new X owners in our area not wasting good front diff hardware running to Lowes and the mall.

By the way, I'd trade up to a 4x4 if it were economically feasible for me to do so. I've been pricing used 4x4's, and they're still about $3k to $4k more than what I paid for my 4x2 ($15k to $16k vs. the $12k I paid for mine), with more miles on them.

Maybe when mine turns over 60k miles and drops completely out of warranty, I'll look into it again. Until then, I'm having fun, and that's what counts, in my opinion. (It also doesn't hurt that my X is completely paid for).

Whether you bought your X for carrying the family around on paved roads, or for rock-crawling through the North Carolina forests or squeezing through impossibly tight squeezes in Utah or Colorado, have fun, stick around, enjoy the pics, ask some questions (use the search function first, though), share your experiences and knowledge with others and try to get along.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 09:42 PM

Quote:
Now I'll admit, I love looking at the pictures of the 4x4 guys climbing over rock strewn paths, plowing through foot deep mud and two foot deep water holes, climbing steep inclines, balancing on rutted surfaces with one wheel hanging freely in the air.
Totally agree... I even have a shot like this as wallpaper on my computer...

Quote:
A final note. I took my X in last week to get a faulty power window switch assembly replaced (and my diff fluid changed). While waiting for my wife to pick me up, I browsed the lot and looked at the new '03 X's. Out of about a dozen X's on the lot, one (1) of them was a 4x4.

That's somewhat of a sad commentary in and of itself. On the other hand, that means there will be eleven new X owners in our area not wasting good front diff hardware running to Lowes and the mall.
Same mentallity here with my local dealer, and with many other dealers, if you check through the Nissan search for vehicle through local dealers function; which leads me to the rational of "Guess what 4X4 guys, there's a lot more of us 4X2 guys than you on a national level." Maybe not on this board, yet; but on a national level. [Finger]
Posted by: Axle

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 10:06 PM

Did you ever think there are so many 4X2's on the lot because all of the 4X4's got SOLD? When I was at the dealership the other day I was talking to one of the saleman and he said that they can't keep the 4WD's in stock, yet the 4X2's some of them have been sitting on the lot for a few months. [Laughing]

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Did you ever think there are so many 4X2's on the lot because all of the 4X4's got SOLD? When I was at the dealership the other day I was talking to one of the saleman and he said that they can't keep the 4WD's in stock, yet the 4X2's some of them have been sitting on the lot for a few months. [Laughing]
No, I asked when a salesman came out to the lot to accost, er, help me. He more or less quoted the opposite and said that they just don't get much call for 4x4's, so they primarily order 4x2's.

Around these parts, ATV's rule for off-roading. Gotta be careful when I wheel around the neighborhood that I don't run over one of my neighbors' 12-year-old kids running around on their ATV's.

Even when a few of us went wheeling last weekend in the local wildlife management area, we passed dozens of ATV's, several dirt bikes and one lone truck.

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 29/06/03 10:47 PM

Nice rant Malcolm, you understand my feelings well.
Posted by: jorge

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/06/03 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Talley:
No, I asked when a salesman came out to the lot to accost, er, help me. He more or less quoted the opposite and said that they just don't get much call for 4x4's, so they primarily order 4x2's.
It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.
Posted by: BluRdgX

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/06/03 04:02 AM

qb][/QUOTE]It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Same here Jorge, anytime I've been in the dealer lot, 70% seem to be 4x4....and they have never had more then ONE S/C on the lot, sometimes none, say they ussually get no more then 3 and they are gone in days....

BRX

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/06/03 05:33 AM

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge:
It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.
That would make sense... I've spoken with my dealer here, and he says that 4WDs have a tendency to spend double or triple the amount of time of the 2WDs sitting on the lot. Therefore the only way that they ever get one in, is when it is ordered, and they know that they are selling one. Must be a southern vs. northern thing... anybody up for a Xterra Civil War? North vs. South... 4WD vs. 2WD... All of us 2WD owners could succeed... we could further divide the union that combines us (ie. we all drive the same vehicle and this board). Now we are talking about some fun! (note the intended sarcasm...) :rolleyes:

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 30/06/03 03:42 PM

Quote:
Nice rant Malcolm, you understand my feelings well.
Why, thank you. Guess it's one of those things I had to get off my chest. smile All in all, I enjoy being here. Most of my clothing is pretty flame-retardant. :p

FWIW, I keep track of all the 4x4's for sale within a 300 mile radius, just in case. cool

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 04/07/03 07:27 AM

Finally, there's a place where Xterra 4x4 owners can go to feel the pain we 2WD'ers feel here on XOC.

Sadly, the owners of "mere 4x4's" are ostracized by these drivers since of course buying a vehicle with "only" 4WD is clearly a waste.

[Smoking]

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 06/07/03 05:31 AM

No response from Ian. Must have been away for the weekend. laugh
Posted by: Uzbad

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 06/07/03 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
Finally, there's a place where Xterra 4x4 owners can go to feel the pain we 2WD'ers feel here on XOC.

Sadly, the owners of "mere 4x4's" are ostracized by these drivers since of course buying a vehicle with "only" 4WD is clearly a waste.

[Smoking]
Hehe - we got one of those running in neigbourhood. How that thingy isnt rolling over - beyound me 8)
Posted by: ATFrontier

Re: 4x2 Off-road - 06/07/03 06:38 PM

My brother in law used to import the Pinz. They trully are the best offroad vehicle. Surprising they are hard to roll. The entire drive train is housed up in the frame. My brother in law would get one in and totally go through it and modify certain things and sold them for around $40,000.