Snow Chains and tires

Posted by: Anonymous

Snow Chains and tires - 28/06/08 11:57 AM

Im getting ready to move to upstate Ny and im not real shure how my xterra will handle the snow. As it is now I cant even turn a sharpe curve on wet ground without spinning the tires The traction sucks on the 2WD version. Im looking to get snow tires and some real agressive chains. Does anyone here have any experience whith driving in the snow. Any advice on which tires and chains to buy.

Re: Snow Chains and tires - 28/06/08 12:23 PM

I'd hold off on the chains if I were you unless you are going in the woods in the winter. In Canada, the only vehicles I have seen on the road with chains are snow removal equipment.

Get good winter tires, studded if that region is known for ice and if legal in that state.

Most importantly, put weight in the back and keep the gas tank full for the weight. When I travel during the xmas holidays, we have so much luggage that I very very rarely need 4x4. I leave it in 2WD even if traveling through a storm.

Also, 75% of the time, the roads are clean unless you live on back roads where they stay icy most of the winter.

If you are not used to snow driving, their are a few important things to remember. Slow take off, if you try a fast acceleration, you will just spin on the spot. If you feel a wheel spinning, giving it more gas will just make you spin more, not help you. Ease off and try again smooth. It also takes longer to stop, so drive slower and keep a longer distance with the car in front of you.

Slow wins the race.

Re: Snow Chains and tires - 10/07/08 01:04 PM

i use to drive an old 2wd mazda pickup on some pretty harsh roads in norther BC. I would make sure to load up the rear with sand bags to helps get some traction