Larger Gas Tank

Posted by: Cliff

Larger Gas Tank - 02/06/10 02:37 PM

I own an 06 Off Road and tow a trailer. Unfortunately towns and gas stations are pretty far apart in this area and I have been down to breathing fumes before finding one at times. I was wondering if anyone knew of maybe a 30 gal gas tank that could be installed in my X without eliminating 2 much ground clearance.
Posted by: SvenDog

Re: Larger Gas Tank - 02/06/10 06:41 PM

I don't know of an aftermarket option for a larger tank, but have you thought about getting a jerry can and a mount for it that you could then affix to either the trailer or truck? For $75, you could have something that would give you another 5-6 gallons of fuel at the ready.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Larger Gas Tank - 02/06/10 09:18 PM

I think there have been some people that put aux tanks in the hatch area and tied them in.
Posted by: granitex

Re: Larger Gas Tank - 03/06/10 07:35 AM

I have mine mounted on the toungue of the trailer, lets the trailer carry the weight and keeps it lower to the ground than mounting on a swing away, or the roof.

That said, I also have a marine can that I can put on the roof if need be. This one I can fill up the truck without taking it off of the roof.
Posted by: Cliff

Re: Larger Gas Tank - 03/06/10 10:09 AM

I have a jerry can, and a mount. I am going to have the setup welded to a receiver hitch. I have a receiver on the back of my trailer for my bike rack, but I was looking for an alternate solution in case one was available.
Posted by: granitex

Re: Larger Gas Tank - 03/06/10 11:36 AM

There are always other solutions but putting a larger fuel cell under the back is going to cost a lot more than it is worth.