Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS?

Posted by: GI'sXterra

Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 13/07/10 02:35 PM

I plan on buying this kit and we all know this kit is designed around a Dana 44 out of a Jeep Wagoneer 1980-85. However, my friend has a Dana 44 out of a 83 Blazer he can give me. Has ANYONE used a different Dana, if so, was the modification much different than the original Dana? Also, I can get his Dana 60 out of the same rig. If I can use a different Dana, which would be my best bet that wouldn't cost me much modification?

Calmini said, it will MOST LIKELY work, but no one there has done it.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 13/07/10 04:44 PM

I know of no one who has done what you are thinking about doing.

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 13/07/10 06:05 PM

Do you know the differences between the two?
Posted by: granitex

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 14/07/10 10:28 AM

Off the top of my head I cant remember if it is drivers or passenger drop on that chevy 44.

I do know that there are people who have done 44s out of a ford 3/4 ton and kept them full width. They just did both axles out of the f250.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 18/07/10 06:21 PM

I'd find the correct D44 and take a boatload of measurements (any SASed Xterras in your area?)... then you'll know what the differences are and you can make some judgments about whether a different axle is likely to work.

One of the reasons Calmini went with the one they did is because the 6 on 5.5" lug pattern matches Nissan's. If you don't mind running different wheels front and back (or if you're changing the rear too) then I'm sure there is a much broader range of axles that will work.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 19/07/10 08:26 AM

Good point Kaiser.

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 19/07/10 02:54 PM

There is no SAS'ed Xterra's in my area. Prob none in the state, except maybe one in Portland if I'm lucky, but that's two hours north. I'm currently trying to find pictures for a Dana 44 off a Wagoneer, but that won't give me any actual measurements. I may be forced to buy the specific D44, but it's kinda hard to beat a free D60 and D44 off a Blazer.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 09/08/10 02:52 PM

The D44 for the Blazer is a passenger side drop IIRC.
Posted by: Snarf

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 08/11/10 03:52 PM

Yep chevy d44 is passenger drop. Also the waggy axle is a horseturd axle so the best thing to do would be to get a hp44 out of a 78 ford half ton and make it work with the calstinky kit. The way the calstinky kit attaches to the axle is a poor design and you WILL break the bracket off the axle. Have a shop do the sas for you without the calmini kit if you want to do it right
Posted by: SvenDog

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 19/12/10 05:44 PM

I did the sas with a d44 and a clayton long arm kit.
I swapped out the axles and gears before doing anything else, so I took those weak links out of the equation, but I'd still go with the waggy setup ahead of the others as the engineering is better tested and it's easy to change out the internals once you get everything set up
Posted by: Michaeljohn

Re: Different Dana's for Calmini's SAS? - 08/04/13 12:36 AM

designed around a Dana 44 out of a Jeep