Question about 4WD

Posted by: Strom

Question about 4WD - 06/10/01 12:16 PM

If the Xterra doesn't have a front locking differential, how does it bind (in 4WD on a hard surface like pavement). What difference would a locker make?
Thanks,
Brad
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: Question about 4WD - 06/10/01 04:26 PM

I believe that when you are turning on dry pavement in 4WD, binding can occur between the front and rear AXLES. This is because when you turn, you are forcing the front and rear driven wheels to travel different distances at the same "speed," (or while getting the same amount of motivating force from the engine/tranny/etc.)

If you're turning with a locker, you have the added problem of both WHEELS on the locked axle also trying to travel different distances at the same speed.

Check out the thread right below this one too.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: silverxglider ]
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Question about 4WD - 06/10/01 09:04 PM

Yeah, the binding is between front and rear axles, usually causeing damage to the front and rear drive axles or the transfer case.

A locker would cause binding from left to right in a turn, damaging the left or right trans-axles or the differential.

The damage from the locker is pretty common, many people buy a modification before they learn to 'wheel.
Automatic Lockers get around the problem by relieving pressure as you turn, causing loud noises (click, click for Powertrax, clang, clang of Eaton :)) as you flip a U-turn in the mall parking lot.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Kerensky97 ]
Posted by: Strom

Re: Question about 4WD - 07/10/01 12:25 AM

Aha...question answered!
Thanks guys.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Question about 4WD - 07/10/01 05:02 PM

Hehe, same topic came up from the other direction on Friday smile

Brent
Posted by: hux

Re: Question about 4WD - 08/10/01 05:47 AM

Do we have limited slip diffs on the front and back? Back only? Neither?
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Question about 4WD - 08/10/01 09:36 AM

Open up front, (lousy) LSD in back only on the SEs and Sport package-equipped XEs (and the Enthusiast package as well on the '02s).

Brent
Posted by: neil

Re: Question about 4WD - 09/10/01 10:25 PM

ok, so does driving with one smaller tire damage the drivetrain at all? i have the regular spare and 4 31" tires- lsd rear diff
Posted by: hux

Re: Question about 4WD - 10/10/01 08:14 AM

I think short term no, long term yes, depending on whether you put it on the front or back. Depends on how "limited" the slip diffy is. I'd be more concerned about how funky the handling is gonna be smile You could take turns in one direction like a bat out of hell, and hafta tippy toe the other way..you'd be set up like a short dirt track race car..heh...

my short answer is for a short time (few miles) you'd prolly be ok, other than that I wouldn't do it.