2wheel to 4wheel

Posted by: Anonymous

2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 12:10 AM

Has anyone attempted to convert there 2wheel x to a 4wheel x? just curious what else i would need besides the obvious t-case, diff, axles, shifter and spindles. does the computer have to be changed? any info would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 02:21 AM

I know nothing of the details but have to believe it would be far easier, less expensive, and more reliable in the long run to simply trade your X for a 4WD if you want/need a 4x4 that badly.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 03:46 AM

OnlyoneDR made his Desert Runner into a 4x4. I know there he has pictures of the build online someplace I just can't find them. It would be a very similar project.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 05:30 AM

The knuckles have to be changed, but everything else (minus t-case) will bolt right in.

I'll be giving my wife's X all my 4x4 parts when I go SAS, but that won't be until fall or next winter.

I think OnlyOneDR did some research on whether or not the rear extension housing on the transmission can be changed out (instead of getting an entirely different trans). I need to talk to him about that as well.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 08:49 AM

It's a lot cheaper to get a 4wd truck then it will be to do the conversion unless you are going to be doing a straight conversion to SAS. I priced this stuff when I was over in Iraq and still had my 2wd Xterra. For me to get the parts from a junk yard along with all of the needed hardware was around $4,000 and then you figure in the labor to do the work by a shop which was another $4,000 and I was at around $8,000 before taxes and what not. Just for the SAS stuff was $5,000 before the shop and about $4,000 for the labor and what not. So about $9,000 for it all. I chose to go with a new 4wd truck instead and I love it.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 10:00 AM

I have found a wrecked x in a local junk yard, and was going to buy the wreck for the complete drivetrain and suspension. its a supercharged se. I thought it would be feasible if i had a complete wreck to work from.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neely:
I have found a wrecked x in a local junk yard, and was going to buy the wreck for the complete drivetrain and suspension. its a supercharged se. I thought it would be feasible if i had a complete wreck to work from.
Why not just take the wrecked one and make it into a trail rig, fixing what is broken or an exo would be a lot cheaper, and remove any fear of further damage. laugh

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 07/02/06 04:54 PM

the whole rear end of the x is destroyed. the frame is mangled ond useless
Posted by: OnlyOneDR

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 08/02/06 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
It's a lot cheaper to get a 4wd truck then it will be to do the conversion unless you are going to be doing a straight conversion to SAS.
Not figuring in my personal "time" or any of the additonal extras I added at the same time (cralwer gears, lift, Calmini steering, Alcan springs, SS brake lines, etc), the conversion cost me a tad under $2K. $900 for front end, $600 for trans/t-case, $200 for driveshaft, $200 for interior bits, some minor extra $$ for miscellaneous bolts and etc.

I think that's the first time I posted up the actual cost to me. Mind y'all it took me nearly a year to find all the different parts I needed to make my project happen. With SASs being more common now and other parts prices can be found cheaper, I think it can now be done for ~$1500 easy.

Cyclemut:

The issue with the adapter housing is with the output shaft on the transmission. The 2wd is a long-shaft trans for the slip yoke, the 4wd of course is a short-shaft. The housing should bolt up no problem, but the output shaft is too long. On the manual trans it seems that you can have the shaft cut down (I believe I have seen a notch on the shaft where it needs to be cut), but I have not seen the Auto output long-shaft to tell if that is the same scenario.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 09/02/06 05:02 AM

Thanks Only...

I'll have to take her housing off one Saturday to see if it's there or not. If it's there, then I'm in business.

We've got a couple of t-cases laying around, and when I go SAS later this year, I'll just swap her out on a Sat.

I'll be getting different drivelines front and rear at that time as well, so she'll have them too.

Curious, did you tell your insurance that it was 4x4 now?
Posted by: OnlyOneDR

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 09/02/06 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Curious, did you tell your insurance that it was 4x4 now?
You know, at one point I even called and talked to them about it. Instead of insuring as a 4x4 they wanted me to catalog all the "aftermarket" accessories and bolt-ons. I guess the coverage is normally limited to a certain $$ amount, I did not ask how much because I knew it was not enough. Now that I am moving I will probably go through all of that with the next insurance policy, just so that it is covered. I mean seriously, will they care if it is wrecked that it has $1300 in the t-case alone? Probably not.

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 16/02/06 02:54 PM

Not to sound completely stupid... But what's SAS? [Huh?] confused

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 22/02/06 09:05 AM

SAS = Solid Axle Swap
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: 2wheel to 4wheel - 22/02/06 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VG33POWER:
SAS = Solid Axle Swap
Yeah... it's where you remove all the independent front suspension junk and put in a real axle. It gives MUCH MUCH better articulation/flex offroad

Here's Mr. Admin showing off SAS flex:

Compare that to this pic of my X with IFS:

Yeah - the wheel lift looks cool... but when your wheels come off the ground your 4WD turns into a 0WD and you don't go anywhere (unless you have diff lockers like I do wink )