ARB to stock

Posted by: XXXTERRA

ARB to stock - 16/03/03 10:59 AM

I would like to reinstall my stock bumper and remove the ARB. When I originally installed the ARB the stock crossmember was removed and that leads me to my question. Do I "need" to reinstall the crossmember? It seems to have gone missing and I'd have to begin the hunt for a new one. What does it do anyway?

Thanks
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: ARB to stock - 16/03/03 12:06 PM

It stiffens up the front of the frame rails as they are sticking out unsupported quite a bit. The ARB stiffens things up enough that you don't really need it, but with the stock bumper on there you may get a lot of movement of the bumper; possibly to the extent that it could bump on the fender edges and such on rough roads. I don't know that for sure, but I do know it stiffens things up; even with the ARB on. It may also help to some extent in the event of an accident by helping to keep the frame rails together.

Anyway, I would definately reinstall it. It's a pretty big piece of metal so it shouldn't be THAT hard to find!

Re: ARB to stock - 16/03/03 01:46 PM

Thank you for the reply. I will reinstall the unit once the ARB is off.
Posted by: rhombus

Re: ARB to stock - 16/03/03 04:41 PM

xxx if you need one you can have mine.

Re: ARB to stock - 16/03/03 08:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'll certainly let you know.
Posted by: XCETRA

Re: ARB to stock - 17/03/03 02:29 PM

Ok I have to ask, why are you taking it off and are you selling it?
Posted by: UTJMAC

Re: ARB to stock - 18/03/03 09:41 AM

Can you reuse that piece if you cut the ends off and still had it mounted with the ARB? I'm trying to remember all the attachment points of the stock bumper. I hope the ends of that bar are not one of them.
John
Posted by: xterraintx

Re: ARB to stock - 18/03/03 12:36 PM

John, I still have mine (I think). If I meet up with you when Dan comes over I'll bring it. If not get me that dang address and I will ship it and the tie rod I owe you smile
Posted by: xterran01

Re: ARB to stock - 20/03/03 08:18 PM

As long as you didn't cut into the bolt holes you're probably okay. If not, I have one for you, too!